• ベストアンサー

a vacuum, a nation

By any definition, the charismatic leader emerges at a time of crisis or national yearning, and perhaps a vacuum in that nation’s institutions. Mr. Schlesinger wrote in 1960 of a “new mood in politics,” with people feeling “that the mood which has dominated the nation for a decade is beginning to seem thin and irrelevant.” There was, he wrote, “a mounting dissatisfaction with the official priorities, a deepening concern with our character and objectives as a nation.” >a vacuum は空白、孤立のどちらでしょうか。and perhaps a vacuum in that nation’s institutionsがどこにつながっているかなのですが。 >with the official priorities>with our character and objectives as a nation.” は官の考えている優先順位、アメリカ国民としての品格と目標でしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.5

カリスマ的リーダーが現れる時の条件なので、政府内にリーダーが誰もいない時、と解釈すべきでしょう。空白と訳すべき。 and perhaps a vacuum in that nation's institutionsは at a time of につながっています。 カリスマ的なリーダーが現れるのは決まって、危機の時か、国が切望しており、国家組織にリーダーが不在の時である。 With the official priorities:この場合、 prioritiesは優先順位というより、政府が優先的に勧めるべきと考えている政策の事を言っています。 with our characters and objectives as a nationはdeepening concernにつながっている部分で、国民の間に根深い不安があるということなので、国民としての品格と目標でなく、国家として(政府が掲げている)特長と目標とすべきと思います。政府が優先的に取り組んでゆこうとしている政策に対して不満が積み重なっており、国家としての特長や目標に対して根深い不安がある、とすべきと思います。(国家としての特長、というのは日本だと知財立国を目指すとか、いった事と思います。)

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

はじめまして。 たいへんよく分かりました。 助かります。これからもよろしくおねがいします。 難解ですが味のある文章だと思い取り組んでいます。 オバマ氏のこともありますし。。

その他の回答 (4)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.4

vacuum は「空虚な」という意味があるので、国の制度や機構がうつろな状態とか、中味のない空っぽな状態、とかいう理解でいいのでは。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 >国の制度や機構がうつろな状態とか、中味のない空っぽな状態 これですね。 これからの小浜市のことを考えると難解ながらよい文章だと思います。

• go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.3

こんにちは! By any definition, the charismatic leader emerges at a time of crisis or national yearning, and perhaps a vacuum in that nation’s institutions. Mr. Schlesinger wrote in 1960 of a “new mood in politics,” with people feeling “that the mood which has dominated the nation for a decade is beginning to seem thin and irrelevant.” There was, he wrote, “a mounting dissatisfaction with the official priorities, a deepening concern with our character and objectives as a nation.” a vacuumは空白、孤立のどちらでしょうか。and perhaps a vacuum in that nation’s institutionsがどこにつながっているかなのですが。 1)at a time of (A-1) crisis or (A-2)national yearning, and perhapas (B) a vacuum in that nation's institutions なんだと思います。いずれにせよ、at a time ofに繋がっています。 2)vaccuum は「真空状態」という意味で、次の文がそれを説明しています。a "new mood in politics," with people feeling "that the mood which has dominated the nation for a decade is beginning to seem thin and irrelevant." つまり、ある国民を10年くらい支配していた社会的雰囲気が希薄になったり、社会的現実に合わなくなってきたときに生じる新しい雰囲気のことです。ある社会的エートスが消えていくゆえに生じる空白感ということだと思います。 >with the official priorities>with our character and objectives as a nation.” は官の考えている優先順位、アメリカ国民としての品格と目標でしょうか。 3)ここも上の敷延的説明になっていて、政府のやることに国民が不満を募らせたり、国民としての筋をどこに通しているのか、国民がどこに向かって進んでいるのかがわからなくなったりする時が、カリスマ的リーダーが登場するときだ、という文脈だと思います。  character は、the complex of mental and ethical traits marking and often individualizing a person, group, or nation という意味よりは、moral excellence and firmness (いずれもWebster's Collegiate Dictionaryの定義) という意味に近いでしょう。俺たちは(精神的に)一流の国民だと思っていたのが、どうも怪しくなってきた――そのようなことを言っていると思います。訳しにくい言葉です。 以上、ご参考になれば幸いです!

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

こちらにもご回答いただけたのですね。はじめましてですが、これからもよろしくおねがいします。 >10年くらい支配していた社会的雰囲気が希薄になったり なるほど、文脈に合います。 a nationについては私には判断できそうにありませんがほぼ満足しました。

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.2

私も推定しながら読むしかないのですが、vacuum は空白期間ではない。 His resignation has created a vacuum which cannot easily be filled. と言えばある大事なポジションに空白が出来た、ということです。ただし、もっと抽象的な [institution に欠けているもの] を指そうとしている可能性もなきにしもあらず。 たとえば our character and objectives as a nation という場合の「国の(あるいは国民の)性格とか目標」は例えばですが市場原理・自由主義・民主主義・反テロとかキリスト教とか、何か抽象的な価値観を指しています。それが何かはもう少し文章の他のところを見ないと私にはすぐにはわかりません。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

再回答ありがとうございます。 これからの小浜市のことを考えると、この難解な文章を読む意義を感じてしまい取り組んでいます。

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

vacuum は空白ですね。and perhaps a vacuum in that nation's institutions は at a time of にかかる。 character は手元の辞書で all the qualities and features that make a person, groups of people, and places different from others: です。品格というよりは性格、特性でしょうか。うまい訳がない? 例文:Generosity is part of the American character.

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 >at a time of perhaps a vacuum in that nation’s institutions. 「空白」だとすると、「国の制度?機関?の空白期間」でしょうか。 >with our character and objectives as a nation 「アメリカ国民としての性格、特性への不安」 とりあえず何を言おうとしているのか知りたいのですが。 いつもご回答ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文翻訳をお願いします。

In the second 1916 volume of the British Official History (1938), Miles wrote that total German casualties in the battle were 660,000–680,000, against Anglo-French casualties of fewer than 630,000, using "fresh data" from the French and German official accounts. In 1938, Churchill wrote that the Germans had suffered 270,000 casualties against the French, between February and June 1916 and 390,000 between July and the end of the year (see statistical tables in Appendix J of Churchill's World Crisis) with 278,000 casualties at Verdun. Some losses must have been in quieter sectors but many must have been inflicted by the French at the Somme. Churchill wrote that Franco-German losses at the Somme, were "much less unequal" than the Anglo-German ratio.

• 構文分析よろしくお願い致します

A good farmer is always one of the most intelligent and best educated men in our society. We have been inclined in our wild industrial development, to forget that agriculture is the base of our whole economy and that in the economic structure of the nation it is always the cornerstone. It has always been so throughout history and it will continue to be so until there are no more men on this earth. We are apt to forget that that the man who owns land and cherishes it and works it well is the source of our stability as a nation, not only in the economic but the social sense as well. できるだけ詳しく教えていただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致します🙏

• 英語の訳と文法について

It is strange that in 1843, a decade before Perry's ships steamed into Edo Bay and more than a century before the Japanese began to flood the world with modern mechanical products,Andersen wrote a story that can be seen as almost describing the contrasting ways in which the two nations were to respond to the Western world. 長いですが、訳と文法解釈が知りたいです。

• 和訳をお願いします。

Sheffield wrote that the losses were "appalling", with 419,000 British casualties, c. 204,000 French and perhaps 600,000 German casualties. In a commentary on the debate about Somme casualties, Philpott used Miles's figures of 419,654 British casualties and the French official figures of 154,446 Sixth Army losses and 48,131 Tenth Army casualties. German losses were described as "disputed", ranging from 400,000–680,000. Churchill's claims were a "snapshot" of July 1916 and not representative of the rest of the battle. Philpott called the "blood test" a crude measure compared to manpower reserves, industrial capacity, farm productivity and financial resources and that intangible factors were more influential on the course of the war.

• make a spectacle of

I live in a Southern state, and our home is located in a community of houses that are built pretty close together. Our neighborhood is a mix of families and young professionals. My husband and I have a 15-year-old son and an 11-year-old daughter. Our newish neighbor is an attractive woman in her early 30s. I don’t know her very well, but she seems perfectly nice. My issue involves the fact that she likes to lounge naked by the small pool in her yard. I found out that you can see her from our backyard deck when I caught my giggling son and his friend pointing her out. My husband and I spoke with my son about respecting someone’s privacy, that he shouldn’t make a spectacle of it, or God forbid take photos of her. make a spectacle of itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• Thomas Jeffersonの言葉“If a nation expects~”の意味は?

Thomas Jeffersonの言葉 If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. とはどういう意味なのでしょうか。ご存じの方いらっしゃいましたら教えてください。

• 【大至急】 英文の和訳

至急!和訳お願いします!! 次の英文の和訳が知りたいです! (1) Southern Norweigian was in many respects acutually more similar to Danish than to the western dialects. (2) We are a distinct people with our own nation and our own identity, and the most obvious sign of our identity is our language. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳お願いします

We cannot, we must not, refuse to protect the right of every American to vote in every election that he may desire to participate in.And we ought not, and we cannot, and we must not wait another eight months before we get a bill. We have already waited 100 years and more and the time for waiting is gone. So I ask you to join me in working long hours and nights and weekends, if necessary, to pass this bill. And I don't make that request lightly, for, from the window where I sit, with the problems of our country, I recognize that from outside this chamber is the outraged conscience of a nation, the grave concern of many nations and the harsh judgment of history on our acts.

• 訳し方を教えてください。

以下の文章ですが、(1)「how」の用法(後ろに形容詞があるので「どれほど」と訳してよいのか)(2)connect withの目的語(3)understanding ofの後のandとは? などに行き詰まり、どのように訳すればいいのかわかりません。訳し方、できれば訳も教えて頂ければ幸いです。どなたかよろしくお願いいたします。 one of my aims is to highlight how academic study and intellectual debate connect with,inform and can help our understanding of and perhaps participation in many everyday activities in which music is a central part.

• through 前置詞

In the condolence message, Clinton wrote, ‘‘One thing that shines through is the resilient spirit of Japanese which is an inspiration to us all. Our prayers, thoughts and hearts are with you now and in the months and years ahead as you rebuild and recover shines throughの後なのですが前置詞かと思ったのですが、後には名詞がこなくてもいいのでしょうか?動詞isがきているので。何か省略されてるのでしょうか?