• ベストアンサー

be believed of ?

There are two things that will be believed of any man whatsoever, and one of them is that he has taken to drink. という文章を見かけました。何をいっているのか分からないのですが、教えていただけないでしょうか。 「いかなる人にも信じられるであろう二つのことがある。 そのうち一つは、その人が飲むことにした」??? すみません。。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

believe もの(特によくない行為) of 人で,「(人)が(よくない行為)をするような人だと思う」という意味になります。 受身になって,この目的語である「もの」が主語になっています。 have taken to ~で「よくない習慣がついてしまう,ふける」という意味になります。 「どんな男がしてもおかしくないようなことが2つある。その一つは酒飲みになってしまうことである」

white-tiger
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 many of us would never want to believe "bad" aspects of the man という文章も見つけました。なるほど。

white-tiger
質問者

補足

下記のお礼に書いた例はちょっと違いますね。。。

その他の回答 (1)

• ANASTASIAK
  • ベストアンサー率19% (658/3306)
回答No.2

男である以上どんなことであれそうであると信じられている ことが2つある。そのうちの一つは、男なら酒を飲んだこと があるということだ。

white-tiger
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• one of the things that is ~??

The guarantor system itself is one of the things that is making it difficult for foreigners to rent housing in Japan. 「保証人制度そのものが、外国人に住居を借りづらくさせている一因でもある。」 one of the things that ”is”ではなくて”are”でなけば駄目なのではないですか? 説明もなしにone of the thingsとだけ言われても”何の一つなの?”ってなるので、 関係代名詞thatは明らかにthingsにかかっていますよね?

• 例文中のthat の示すもの

For example, most of the time when we talk about more than one of something, we put an S on the end. One cat, two cats. But then, there's that handful of words where things work differently. 上記文章は、英単語の複数形について述べている文章です。 最後の行、there's that handful of~のthat が何を示しているのか分かりません。 there's a handful ofなら分かるのですが。 分かる方いらっしゃいましたら解説お願い致します。

• 和訳お願いします

None of those things, of course. In fact, one might well suppose that the popular feeling is that Americans are a lot better off without any of that tripe. There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

• There will always be

A: There will always be things that throw a spanner into the works. You just have to get through them. B It will be harder for someone who already has spanners in the works. こちらの会話の訳を教えていただけますか? どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• ..we can be sure of.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Mr Martin, There are very few things in life that we can be sure of. マーチンさん、人生においてはっきっりしてるこっとて殆どありません。 (質問) (1)[...we can be sure of.]のof は「・・について、関して」と考えていいですか? (2)of+(抽象)名詞=形容詞に分類されますか? (3)ofに関して、同類の易しい例文を幾つか教えていただけませんか? (4)thatは関係代名詞の目的格ですね? sure of (life)ということですね?  これからは、同じような質問を繰り返すと思いますが、お許しください。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 以下の英語表現を教えてください。

教室などで「~の人はいますか?」というときは、 Is there any one who has a red pen? Are there any one who has a red pen? などの表現でいいのでしょうか? どっちが正しいですか?教えてください。

• スコット・フィッツジェラルドについて

スコット・フィッツジェラルドについての英文を訳しているのですが 以下の英文でつまずいています。 By the nineteen twenties, many people believed that gaining the material things one desired could bring happiness. F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote about the lives of people who lived as if that were true. There was more to Fitzgerald than a desire for material things. “The test of a first-rate intelligence,” he said, “is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still have the ability to act.” His two opposing ideas involved seeking happiness from material things, and knowing that material things only brought unhappiness. どなたか和訳をお願いします。

• 和訳の仕方

訳を教えてください。 With that said, I would add that most people would still probably use the word people for either situation. 後ろの方のpeopleはイタリックです。 ちなみに、前の文章は、 "There are two persons sitting at th table.""There are two people sitting at the table."In the first one, I get the feeling that the two are not together; they're just sharing the table.In the second one I think that the two of them are together. です。

• 英文についての質問です。

I have heard many a little sonneteer called a fine genius. There is not a heroic scribbler in the nation that has not his admirers who think him a great genius; and as for your smatterers in tragedy, there is scarce a man among them who is not cried up by one or other for a prodigious genius. 1) I have heard many a little sonneteer called a fine genius.について many a little の部分がわかりません。少しが多い? 2)There is not a heroic scribbler in the nation that has not his admirers who think him a great genius;について 彼を偉大な天才だと思う彼の称賛者たちがいる国家には誇張した三文文士がいる、という意味ですか?(二重否定で肯定の意味になりますか?:There is not~、the nation that has not~) 3) there is scarce a man among them who is not cried up by one or other for a prodigious genius.について there is scarce a man~ は、”~という人(man)は稀だ”という意味ですか? (scarceとa manの間で切れる) among them・・・themはyour smatterersですか? 桁外れの天才について?(forの意味がとれません)、ひとりや他の人たちによって褒めたたえられない人はなかまじりの人たちの間では稀である? 意味がとれないです。どのように意味をとるとよいのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文についてお尋ねします。type2

"I've never been the type of guy that's ever needed a lot of things or any fancy things." that'sはthat has若しくはthat isどちらでしょうか? 意訳を入れて説明いただければ幸いです。