• ベストアンサー

英語の小説の訳に関する質問です

次の英文がうまく訳せないのです。 (“in no other craft as in”でググると原文が見られます) 'The mists were closing again. I don't know how old I appeared to him - and how much wise. Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. ・The mists were closing again. I don't know how old I appeared to him - and how much wise. 「ふたたび霧が閉じつつあった。彼に自分が何歳に見えているのか、どれほど賢く見えているのか私は知らない。」 ・Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. 上の文に呼応する形だと思うのですが・・・。 「ちょうどそのとき感じた歳の半分以下だろうし、自分自身が知る無益な賢さの半分以下だろう??」 ・Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. 「たしかに船乗り業という仕事においてほど、すでに一か八かで歩み出した者たちが実は彼自身の満ちあふれた炎を映したものでしかない広大な水面のきらめきを輝く目で見つめながら、崖っぷちの青春までも赴きたいと思うことはない。」 ↓自分の考え↓ *文頭にin no other craft と否定語がきているのでdo the heartsとSVが倒置されている。 *主語 the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim *動詞 go out *that of that=craft *the sea 船乗り業 *those launched 乗り出した人々、出航した人々 *sink or swim 一か八か 間違えあると思うのでお手数ですがどなたか訳してみていただけないでしょうか?よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.4

#3です。 #3に書いたのより素直な訳を考えました。 Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, 確かに、既に一か八かの世界に入ってしまっている者たちが、これからその世界に乗り出そうという若者をかわいそうに思うという点では、船乗りの世界に勝るものはない。 looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. (今まさに船乗りになろうとしている若者は)輝く瞳で広い海面のきらめきを見つめているが、そのきらめきは、火のように燃えている彼自身の輝きの反射に過ぎないのだ。

hktasa
質問者

お礼

・・・・・・・・ビンゴ!! *go out ~を哀れに思う←これを知らずに苦労しました。 http://manybooks.net/pages/conradjoetext04lrdjm10/108.html 依頼した英文は上にある原文のchapter11の2段目なのですが、改めてchaper10から読んでみるとこの4の解釈と訳はぴったりな気がします。 *those already launched の一人が”I”であり、”the youth”が”I”と一緒にボートに乗っている若者の”he”だと考えられます。 刺激を受けて僭越ながら今一度拙訳を試みました; 「ただ確かなのは、既に一か八かでボート漕ぎの世界に入ったものが今まさに自分と同じ世界に乗り出そうという若者をこんなに哀れに思うことは他の仕事ではありえないということだ。 彼はきらめく広大な水面を目を輝かせて見つめているが、水面がきらめくのは彼自身の燃え盛る炎が映し出されているからに過ぎない。」 少し変かもしれませんが。 ありがとうございました^^

その他の回答 (4)

• taked4700
  • ベストアンサー率37% (777/2050)
回答No.5

Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. の前半部分を、普通の文に直したとして、 The hearts of those who had launched to sink or swim do go out so much to the youth on the brink in no other craft as in that of the sea. となると解釈すると、後半部分の looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. のlooking の主語は、the hearts of those になると思うのですが、どうでしょうか。 でも原文で、looking の直前にあるのはthe youth ですから、そちらが主語とも読めますね。 どちらにしても、do の解釈次第と言うところでしょうか。

hktasa
質問者

お礼

普通の文になおすととてもわかりやすいですね。 ,lookingの主語はどうやらthe youth のようです。 ありがとうございました^^

• d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.3

The mists were closing again. 辺りは、また霧に閉ざされてきた。 I don't know how old I appeared to him - and how much wise. 私が彼にどのくらいの年齢に見えていたか ―そして、どのくらい賢く見えていたか― 私には分からない。 Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. その時自分で感じていた年齢の半分ほどにも見えなかっただろうし、自分ではあると思っていた無駄な知恵も、自分が思っていたその半分もあるようには見えなかっただろう。 Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. 今まさに船乗りの世界に乗り出そうとして、広い海面のきらめき(それは自分自分の輝きの反映に過ぎない)を目を輝かせて眺めている若者ほど、既に一か八かの世界に乗り出してしまった者の心を惹き付けるものは、船乗りの世界以外には決してない。 on the brink (of launching to sink or swim) (一か八かに乗り出す)間際のところで go out to ~ = ~に心を惹かれる、~を哀れに思う。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/go%20out/UTF-8/ 11番目に出ている意味です。

hktasa
質問者

お礼

Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. その時自分で感じていた年齢の半分ほどにも見えなかっただろうし、自分ではあると思っていた無駄な知恵も、自分が思っていたその半分もあるようには見えなかっただろう。 ここの訳がとてもしっくり来ると思いました。 ありがとうございました^^

• taked4700
  • ベストアンサー率37% (777/2050)
回答No.2

難しいですね。ざっと、前後を読んでみましたが、???と言う状態です。 ですから、あくまでも、より良い訳のためのたたき台として、自分の訳を書いてみます。( )内は、意訳です。 'The mists were closing again.再び、あたり一面の霧になった。(また、混乱してきた。) I don't know how old I appeared to him - and how much wise.自分には分からない、どの程度自分が彼にとって年上に見えたのか。そして、世間のことを知っていると見えたのか。(分からないんだよ、どのぐらい僕が社会のことを知っていると彼が思ったか、どのくらい世渡りの知恵をもっているかって思ったか。) Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. 自分がそのときに老いていたの半分も行かない、自分がそうだとわかっているずるい賢さの半分でもない。(本当は、自分も社会の知恵なんて何にも持っていないんだ。役立たずの世渡りの知恵なんて何にも身につけてはいなかったんだ。) Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire.確かに、他にそんなものはないよ。船乗り家業ほど、いちかばちかで青春のがけっぷちまでいくほど心に火をつけるものは。希望に満ちたまなざしで、あの光り輝くただっぴろい海面を見つめるのは、ただ、自分自身の炎に満ちたまなざしがそこにあるだけなのだが。(海に出る、それしかないと思うよ、あんなに心躍らされて青春をかけてみようと思うことは。希望に満ち溢れた目つきで見る光で満ちたあのただっぴろい海、それはただ、若者の心が炎で満ち溢れ、それが映っているに過ぎないのだが。) 以上です。あくまで、たたき台ですから。

hktasa
質問者

お礼

たたき台なんてとんでもないです。 とても詩的ないい表現だと思います。 ありがとうございました^^

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.1

難しい文ですね。いかにも文学的表現といった感じです・・・ The mists were closing again 「霧が閉じつつあった」では意味が通らないので、「霧に閉ざされつつあった」とした方がいいのでは。「再び霧に覆われてきた」とか。 ・Not half as old as I felt just then; not half as uselessly wise as I knew myself to be. 「そのとき自分が老いを感じた年齢の半分ほどでもないかもしれないし、自分の賢さなんて無益だと思い知らされた、その半分ほども賢くは見えてなかったかもしれない」 言葉をたくさん補ってみました。 ・Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. 文の構成要素の分析はそれでいいと思います。 日本語としてもう少し通りやすくしてみますと(そうでもないかも) 「確かに、船乗り業という仕事ほど、一か八かでこぎ出した者たちの心をとらえて青春の崖っぷちまでへも行かせてしまうものはないだろう。ギラギラした目で広大な海面のきらめきを見つめているが、その海の輝きは彼らの情熱に溢れた目の輝きを映したものにほかならないのだ」 関係代名詞の制限用法だのなんだのは無視して、日本語として考えました。

hktasa
質問者

お礼

細かく訳していただいてありがとうございました^^

関連するQ&A

• この分の訳、分かる方いらっしゃったらお願いします

英語の長文を読んでいて、こんな文章が出てきました。 構文がうまくつかめず悩んでいます。 もしお分かりの方がいらっしゃったら、教えていただけると幸いです。 Surely in no other craft as in that of the sea do the hearts of those already launched to sink or swim go out so much to the youth on the brink, looking with shining eyes upon that glitter of the vast surface which is only a reflection of his own glances full of fire. とくに、do をどういう構文としてとるか、教えていただきたいです。 looking以下が分分詞構文だと言うのは分かるのですが。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語の訳をお願いします。

One of the purposes of this new system, beyond allowing researchers and scientists to talk to each other, was the creation of a communications network that the government hoped would be secure in case of nuclear or other emergency. 訳をお願いします。

• 英語について

Then they would swim in their plastic bubble-like world floating in the top of the tank until the water temperature reached (that) of its surroundings, prlbably a half hour or so, but seemingly forever to a small child. 上の英文の()にはなぜthatが入るのですか??

• 英語訳お願いします!!!

英語訳お願いします!!! Justin Bieber shows off his boarding skills in the April 2010 issue of Teen Vogue. As a part of the 2010 biggest music breakouts feature, the 16-year-old told the mag that there’s a movie on the way of how he made it big. Justin shared, “We’re trying to set up a movie for me in the near future?it’s going to be similar to the story of how I got discovered. Kinda like my own version of 8 Mile.” TELL JJJ: Would you go see a Justin Bieber-inspired movie?

• 英語の訳が分りません

英語の訳が分りません 分る方至急教えて下さい お願いします。 A visitor from abroad had the following experience: "Within two weeks of my arrival in Japan. I was carried into a large hospital for emergency treatment of a very painful stomachache. My troubles were even worse because I could neither speak nor understand Japanese. It is hard to say which was greater-my stomach pain or my fears and anxiety. In the midst of all the confusion, however, I heard the soft sounds of classical music coming from the hospital's loudspeakers. As I began to listen to the familiar melody, I started to relax and to believe that everything would be all right. And, in fact, it was thanks to the power of music!" As this visitor discovered, music can have a powerful healing effect on us. Music therapy is especially useful with the elderly. For example, an old people's home in Toronto, Canada, recently installed a karaoke machine for its patients' use. The nurses were amazed at the changes in the elderly people. A few patients who had withdrawn themselves and refused to communicate began to sing and talk to each other. For them, karaoke singing became the first step to a happier life. According to certain theories, music fulfills three functions in improving the quality of life. First, since humans live in thei past, present, and future at the same time, music helps them to remember the past. Second, music, especially group singing, helps people to feel connected to others. That is, they feel less isolated and lonely. Third, music helps people get over an unpleasant experience. That is, music allows a brief escape from hard reality.

• 英語教えてください

A. 次の各組の文がほぼ同じ内容になるように( )に適する語を入れなさい。 1. John can swim the fastest of all the boys. John can swim ( ) ( ) any other boy. 2. No other building in the city is higher than that one. That is ( ) ( ) building in the city. B. 次の各文を受動態の文に書きかえなさい。 1. My sibling will take photos of the garden tomorrow. 2. Chris damaged the car beyond repair. 3. You can overwrite text to the right of the cursor. C. 次の各文の不定詞と同じ用法の不定詞を含む文を、下のア〜ウから選びなさい。 1. Billhasalotofthingstodo. 2. I started to learn English. 3. I was very happy to get your letter. ア: I hope to see again soon. イ: I was pleased to see her again. ウ: I had no time to see him. D. 次の各文の( )内から適する語句を選びなさい。 1. She stopped ( eating / to eat ) meat five years ago. 2. I decided ( studying / to study ) music in France.

• 英語の訳

英文が訳せません The other day I was sitting outside Old Splodge's office, waiting for him to call me in. この文です 途中まではわかるのですがwaiting以下が上手く訳せません 時間があるときでいいのでわかる方教えてください

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I was standing on the south side of the tracks by the bakery.I always stop in there on my way home from the supermarket.I like their bread rolls.The barries were coming down, and as usual a few people were running across at the last minute. They shouldn't , but it's understand ble.At that time of the morning there are a lot of trains. You can be stuck there for a long time.Anyway, it's quite a wide crossing, so people my age just wait.We walk so slowly, we'd never get across in time!That's why I was surprised when this old lady pushing a bicycle started to cross. She got about half way when she just seemed to freeze.I don't know why.

• 英語の訳がわかりません

Regarding the talented Mary, Tom wrote to Smith in March that ‘thus, joyless and friendless, I should pass my days, did not Mary visit me now and again and turn on me a ray of those sweet days of the past’. なぜ did not の後に名前がきているのでしょうか? 英語に詳しい方、回答よろしくお願い致します。

• 英語訳おねがいします

through most of history, however, those changes progresseed so slowly in time and spread so slowly in space that, within an individual's own lifetime, no change was visible. Hence, human historyーexcepting trivial changes through war and dymastic succession, or fantasy changes through supernatural interventionーwas viewed as essentially static. The advance of science and technorogy, however, is cumulative, and each advance tends to encourage a more rapid further advance. Eventually, the rate of change, and the extent of the effect of that change on society become great enough to be detected in the space of an individual lifetime. The future is then, for the first time, discoverd. の訳おねがいします!