• ベストアンサー

ジャパンタイムスの訳が全く歯が立ちません

ジャパンタイムズの「Essay(Anybody out there?)」を読んでの訳が分かりません、「」内(2箇所)が全く歯が立ちません。 (英語のニュース | ジャパンタイムズ [週刊STオンライン] ― 英語学習サイト)、宜しくお願いします。 ・・・・・・「Some will remember him for the cloud surrounding his service in the German Wehrmacht during World War II,」 and many will remember him for his achievements as secretary-general. 「And there is a very good chance that when we are all long gone and our planet is but a cold cinder floating in the vastness of space, 」one of the last humans ever known by name will be Kurt Waldheim.・・・・

• htgo
  • お礼率33% (407/1224)
  • 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • komimasaH
  • ベストアンサー率16% (179/1067)
回答No.4

Some will remember him for the cloud surrounding his service in the German Wehrmacht during World War II, and many will remember him for his achievements as secretary-general. And there is a very good chance that when we are all long gone and our planet is but a cold cinder floating in the vastness of space, one of the last humans ever known by name will be Kurt Waldheim. ワルトハイムを第二次大戦中ナチ親衛隊に所属していたという経歴上の汚点となる疑惑で覚えているもいるだろうが、大方の人々は国連事務総長としての業績で彼を覚えているだろう。われわれ人類が滅亡した後長い時間を経た後、われわれの惑星(地球)が広大な宇宙のなかで冷たい燃えカスとなっているときでも、人類の中でその名前で知られる最後の人々の中の一人が、クルト・ワルトハイムであるというのは大いにありえることである。 (なぜなら、太陽系外に飛び去ったボエジャー2号に積まれたゴールドディスクには彼の録音が入っているから。) cloud = Suspicion or a charge affecting a reputation.

htgo
質問者

お礼

komimasaHさん、有難う御座います。 苦労しながら何とか大意は掴めたのですが、「Some will remember・・」の 「will remember」が何故過去形にならないのでしょうか、これが最初からのずっと疑問でした。

その他の回答 (4)

• komimasaH
  • ベストアンサー率16% (179/1067)
回答No.5

>、「Some will remember・・」の 「will remember」が何故過去形にならないのでしょうか、これが最初からのずっと疑問でした。 なるほど。 答えになるかどうかは分かりませんが、rememberには   ・忘れていたことを思い出す   ・覚えている の二つの意味があります。前者の場合はやっと思い出したよ、 というような意味で過去形が使われます。今回の場合は 後者の場合で、現在形を使います。用例はこちらを参照。 http://www.answers.com/topic/remember?cat=health さらに、この場合のwillは予想や推測の意味を示します。 お分かりにならない理由を明確にお分かりのようですので、 さらに補足質問をされれば、専門家の方々がお答えいただける かもしれません。

htgo
質問者

お礼

komimasaHさん、有難う御座います。 単純に「remember」だけを見ていましたが、「will」の用法と文章全体の意味までを考えると、過去形にならない意味も理解出来ますね。 それにしても、shall,willの微妙なニュアンスは日本人にとって(勿論私だけかも?)難しいものですね・・・

noname#37852
noname#37852
回答No.3

後のカッコはよくわかりませんけれど、 his serviceをsurroundingしているthe cloudなのでしょうね。 Someとかmanyは人々のことですよね? Some will remember him/ for the cloud/ surrounding his service/ in the German/ Wehrmacht/ during World War II, cloud   雲; 煙, ほこり・・・暗雲, 憂色. http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=cloud&kind=ej&mode=0&base=1&row=0 And/ there is a very good chance/ that/ when we are all/ long gone/ and/ our planet/ is but a cold cinder/ floating in the vastness of space, え~、区切り方が間違っていたらごめんなさい。 is but a  ・・・に過ぎない、でしかない vastness of space スペースの広大{こうだい}さ http://www2.alc.co.jp/ejr/index.php?word_in=is+but+a&word_in2=%82%A9%82%AB%82%AD%82%AF%82%B1&word_in3=PVawEWi72JXCKoa0Je http://www2.alc.co.jp/ejr/index.php?word_in=vastness&word_in2=%82%A9%82%AB%82%AD%82%AF%82%B1&word_in3=PVawEWi72JXCKoa0Je

htgo
質問者

お礼

after_8さん、有難う御座います。  ずっと後ろの話(ボイジャII)があって、German Wehrmachtが出てくるのなら分かるのですが、いきなり光と影ではなかなか歯が立ちませんでした。  皆さん有難う御座います。以外にこのサイト皆さん見ているのですね、嬉しくなりました。  一人でシコシコと勉強しているのかと思って、虚しくなる時もありますが。  しかし、なかなか結果はでません、皆さんの励ましもお願いします。

• mabomk
  • ベストアンサー率40% (1414/3521)
回答No.2

本質問とは殆ど関係ない話で恐縮至極ですが、「The Japan Times」はその設立段階から日本で最も「日本で最も格調高い英字新聞」を目指すとして発刊された経緯があります、故に普通の記事でも持って回った言い方をして当時英字新聞を読み始めた我が学生時代は相当難儀した記憶が蘇ってきました。文学部の英米ジャーナリズム専攻の教授曰く、「学生にゃとてもじゃないが太刀打ち出来んよ、吾輩でも余り読みたくないモンナー」「やたら小難しい言い方して、普通のありふれた事件・事故記事でも」「一番厄介なのがあそこの(社説)だ」「英米の大学教授クラスでも斜め読みは出来ん筈だ!!、だって普通の英英辞書には載っていない単語使うんだからなぁ、あそこは」ってな話を思い出しました。約四十年前の話です。その先生曰く「新聞は斜め読み出来て当たり前」「シェークスピアが書く様な記事書いて一体どないするんじゃー(笑)」っていっていました。この質問にある記事(エッセー)読んであーあの伝統は未だ生きているんだナーとの感を抱きました。何の答えにもなっては居らんが、まー、読み飛ばして、、、、

htgo
質問者

お礼

mabomkさん、有難う御座います。 他のサイトの記事はあまり呼んだ事がないので・・ 増して記事の内容、語彙の使い方などの比較など、とてもとても・・・ しかし、参考になりました、機会があれば、mabomkさんの学生時代の話が聞ければと思います・・・

• geko3
  • ベストアンサー率34% (11/32)
回答No.1

事務総長時代とナチスドイツ時代の光と影,後はボイジャー2号の説明に あるように宇宙的な時間の流れを捉えて訳出してはどうでしょうか.

htgo
質問者

補足

geko3さん、有難う御座います。 光と影ですか・・やっと見えてきました。 cloudとhis serviceとの関係がどうしても繋がらなかったのです。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の訳をお願いします

以下の文章を訳していただけますか。お願いします。 He deeply desires, a true friend, someone whom he can express his feelings and thoughts to. People and relationships are important to him despite his independent exterior. He is interested in the lives and affairs of those close to him. He is an excellent arbitrator, negotiator and peace maker and meddler in other peoples problems. But not soft B, he is as forceful as he feels is necessary for achieving his own aims and ambitions, and if he feels others are not appreciative of what he is trying to do, then he will consider them unworthy of his time and efforts and he will take back what ever efforts he has made on their behalf, or whatever he has given then, When he gives to people it is not free, even if it just advice, it comes on loan. And at some point the loan is recalled. The favour owed is collected like a debt by him.

• すごーく長いので、出来たら訳をお願いしたいです

He is an interesting man, but there has been obscurity and misery in his life. He has faced some long and hard past ordeal, or unfavorable circumstances or darkness of spirit has shadowed him and dogged his footsteps. He is stalwart and hardened by the struggle, and a little fatalistic and guided often on his course by his instincts as to what will bring him luck and what wont. He knows what direction he wants to follow in life and struggles against adversities in a dignified way. But he is an unsettled man with a changing unreliable life and a restless determination to rise about him. One who is never at rest or at peace but always on the move. He has a receptive mind, a wild energy and life of much turmoil and contradiction. An ambitious man, but with many impractical dreams, who fools himself into thinking he is capable of achieving more than he can, and so no matter how hard he tries, how successful he is. his goals remain always distant, out of reach or just beyond his capability. He is one of life's takers, not one of life's givers. He takes what's given for granted and exploits it in any way he can, to get further gains. To heap up favours or wealth, a grasping nature, that when given something, extracts more, but gives little or nothing back. He ceases opportunities where he can. Lives by his wits exploits his own reserves, but fails to learn from his bad luck and failures. すみません。やはり長すぎますね・・

• 訳をお願いいたします。

This recognition from Japan is the latest of Britain's achievements in science,which have been more than you might expect for its size. As one of the government's internet sites proudly states, Britain has 1% of the world's population but carries out 4.5% of the world's research and development and produces about 8% of the world's scientific research papers. 長文で申し訳ありませんが、よろしくお願いします。

• 訳の一部がわかりません。

Any teacher can take a child to the classroom,but not every teacher can make him learn.He will not work joyously unless he feels that liberty is his,whether he is busy or at rest;he must feel the flush of victory and the heart-sinking of disappointment before he takes with a will the tasks distasteful to him and resolves to dance his way bravely through a dull routine of textbooks. 上の文で 前半のwhether he is busy or at restはどのように訳したらいいのですか。(heはchildですよね?) それから、後半の文章なのですが、 beforeの後はheが主語でtakes the tasks distasteful to himと続くのだと思うのですが、and resolves to dance がどうつながるのか、文法と訳がわかりません。 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 訳を教えてください!

As time went on, my memories of my hometown became less vivid.=With the passing of time, it was more and more difficult to remember my hometown. Though he denied the rumor frequently, nobody believed him.=Despite his frequent denial of the rumor, nobody believed him. この2つの訳を教えていただけないでしょうか、よろしくお願いします。

• コービーがハワードに対して語ったものです。どなたか

和訳をお願い致します! "I hope he [returns]," Bryant said. "It's just a matter of what he feels in his heart and what he wants to do. He kind of has reached a crossroads in his career. I think Los Angeles is a perfect spot for him to assert himself and put his foot down and have his career really take off and be what it should be. There is no better place for centers to be than Los Angeles. "I will talk to him. Bring him out to the house, chill with him a little bit and watch another cartoon movie or something. We'll have a good time."

• save him from himself

My five year-old son is starting kindergarten and wants to dress himself. None of his clothing matches and I’m worried his friends and others will make fun of him for the way he looks. He is insisting on picking out his own clothes. My husband and I are torn over what to do. Do we allow him to pick his own clothes OR do we save him from himself and demand he wear what we tell him to? save him from himself はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳希望

自動翻訳では、意味がわかりません どなたか翻訳お願いできますか? どうぞよろしくお願いします Looking at his chart, I think it will be difficult for him to end his marriage, He has Saturn in his seventh house. This makes for ties of duty, habit, practicality. He is not happy in his marriage. He feels his life is limited or restricted by his marriage. Feels very tied. There is some hidden problems in his marriage that he finds hard to cope with, periodically he wants to end this, but the practically prevent it. These problems and feeling of limitation wont go away very easily. I don’t think he will leave his wife or end his marriage. You also have Saturn in your seventh house in your own chart, so I don’t think you will end your marriage either. But looking far into the future, what I think will happen is that this man will drift out of your life, there will be time spent apart or not close, you may feel the relationship between you ends altogether. Yet strangely he returns. There may be a gap of years, then he returns when his marriage is over, and the love begins again, and you will at that time have a choice whether to end your marriage or not. This theme takes place not immediately but over many years. Nothing is certain, but that is how I think it will go because of the pattern in your individual charts, But remember our own actions and choices can influence the future fate too.

• よろしくお願いします

My husband is a high-ranking officer in the military. He has worked hard to achieve his current position and is highly respected. The problem is, his family treats him like a child. In a few months, there will be a formal ceremony to mark his change of command. My in-laws will be in attendance, and they are certain to embarrass him. They insist on calling him by his unusual childhood nickname (he cringes every time). They talk down to him and give him gifts meant for children, such as books for teen boys (last Christmas), a small child's backpack (last birthday) and now a child's piggy bank, which they intend to present to him in front of his unit at the ceremony. These gifts are not intended as jokes. My husband is always gracious on the outside but horrified on the inside. Is there some way to remind his family that he is indeed an adult and has certainly earned the right to be treated like one? -- Proud Military Spouse Dear Spouse: It is difficult to change ingrained behavior without the cooperation of all the people involved. Your husband apparently has determined that the best way to handle his parents is to leave things as they are. That is his choice. While we appreciate your desire to be supportive and protective, you might also be adding to his stress because your reaction is one of anger and embarrassment. one of anger and embarrassmentのoneは何を指しているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳をお願いいたいます

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の後半部分ですので、内容が中途半端だと思いますが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 No matter how far away he goes, he will revisit it. and it will always remain in his memorys and keep sakes as part of his identity But there will be difficulty with property or land and inheritances connected with his early home. Even if he doesn’t inherit it, he will sometimes go there to look at it, or to be in the same area, outside and around it, rekindling old memorys and forging new changed kinship with the place. His past is part of him.