• ベストアンサー

Elton Johnの歌詞の意味を教えてください。

エルトン・ジョンのCandle in the Wind 1997(ダイアナ妃を悼んで作った歌)を聞いていて疑問に思いました。以下の歌詞の和訳(意味)を教えてください。3つ一度にでなくても構いません。よろしくお願い致します。 1) Never fading with the sunset When the rain set in. 2) Your candle's burned out long before Your legend ever will. 3) From a country lost without your soul, Who'll miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know.

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.5

こんにちは、お礼ありがとね! >ご存知になる機会が作れたことをひそかに嬉しく思っております。 良い歌を紹介してくれたお礼に更に分かりやすく和訳を改良します! ところで、この歌がマリリンモンロー(ノーマジーン)と大幅に違う点は、ノーマジーンの歌の場合は、消えた事を悲しむ歌なのに対して、ダイアナ妃の場合は、「永遠に忘れないよ」と感情が歌に含まれている点ですね。 1)については、理解が混乱されている場合は、区切る場所が悪かった可能性があります。 例えば、このように区切ると Like a candle in the wind Never fading with the sunset 風の前のともし火ように、日暮れに色あせる事無く。 When the rain set in And your footsteps will always fall here 雨が降始めた時は、  あなたの足音はここにいつも響いている *雨音を、消える事が無いダイアナ妃の足跡にかけているとおもいます。 2)Your candle's burned out long before Your legend ever will. ここの、ever willが、ノーマジーンの場合のever didと全く違いますね。 ever will 「これからも」と言う意味です。 例文: I have never nor ever will charge anyone who seeks my help 私は今迄も、そしてこれからも助けを求めて来た人に(金を)請求しない。 よって Your legend ever will. あなたの伝説よ永遠に。 3) From a country lost without your soul, Who'll miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know. >実はまだひっかかるのがWho'll miss the wing of your compassion >More than you'll ever know. の部分です。 >これはそもそも疑問文なのか??と疑問です。ご存知でしたら教えてください。 疑問文ではありません! whoの先行詞は、a country [lost without your soul](国)です。 who以下は、その説明です。 なので、以下のように書き換える事もできます。 a country will miss the wing of your compassion 国は、貴方の慈悲の翼を失い寂しくなる(悲しんなる)でしょう。 More than you'll ever knowの部分は、 More than ~よりも。 More than you'll ever know あなたが、理解しているよりも。 二つも文をつなげると、 a country will miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know. あなたが、理解しているよりも、国は、貴方の慈悲の翼を失い寂しくなる(悲しくなる)でしょう。 となります。 前後の意味を考えると、#3さんのように、 >この国はきっと貴女の慈愛の翼をなくしたこと >を悲しむことになる >当の貴女でさえ想像もつかないほどに となります。 ただし、普通の文章で、More than you'll ever knowが出てきた場合は、それ程大した意味は無く、「とっても、ものすごく」と普通は訳します。 例えば、I love you more than you'll ever know. 等の場合は「貴方をとっても愛している。」で良いとおもいます(笑)

sabuko0501
質問者

お礼

もう全てが納得いきました。本当にありがとうございました。私が疑問文と思い込んでいましたが、そうですよね。関係代名詞に違いありません。当たり前ですね。お恥ずかしいです…。本当にありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (4)

• lark3rd
  • ベストアンサー率36% (39/106)
回答No.4

拙い回答には過分なお言葉恐縮です。 私は原曲のwho seesがthe young manにかかっていることから、ここのwho'll missも、a countryにかかる関係代名詞だと解釈したんですが…

sabuko0501
質問者

お礼

本当にすぐに回答を下さってありがとうございました。原曲と対比して私のどうしようもない質問に答えてくださって、こんなにありがたいことはございません。ありがとうございました。

• lark3rd
  • ベストアンサー率36% (39/106)
回答No.3

1)Never fading with the sunset When the rain set in. 雨が降っても、夕日に色あせることなく 2)Your candle's burned out long before Your legend ever will. 貴女のキャンドルはとうの昔に燃え尽き、貴女の伝説もまたいずれはそうなるのだろう。 3)(Goodbye England's rose) From a country lost without your soul, Who'll miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know. 貴女の魂を失って途方にくれる国から「さよなら英国のバラ」 この国はきっと貴女の慈愛の翼をなくしたことを悲しむことになる 当の貴女でさえ想像もつかないほどに なおご存知かと思いますが、これはマリリンモンローの死を悼んで73年に作られた同名の歌が原曲になっています。 ご質問の3つは原曲では、 1)Never knowing who to cling to when the rain set in. 雨が降った時に誰にすがればいいのかも知らないまま 2)Your candle burned out long before. Your legend ever did. 君のキャンドルは随分前に燃え尽き、君の伝説もまた(燃え尽きてしまった) 3)(Goodbye Norma Jean) From the young man in the 22nd row who sees you as something as more than sexual, more than Marilyn Monroe. 22列目に座る若者から「さよならノーマ・ジーン」 僕の目に映る君は、セクシャルとかマリリンモンロー以上のもの。 マリリンモンローという名前に翻弄された女性ノーマジーンを深く哀れむ原曲と比べて、この歌を捧げたダイアナ妃はさすがに哀れむには恐れ多い相手らしく、かわいそうなのはむしろ残された自分達の方だって言ってますね。

sabuko0501
質問者

お礼

とても丁寧な回答をありがとうございます。私も質問をここにしてから色々調べてみましたが、Who'll miss the wings of your compassion more than you'll ever know というのは反語ではないということなのでしょうか?反語だと誰が悲しむ(寂しく思う)だろうか→思わないでしょう…になってしまいますよね?そうするとこの歌の心からはずれてしまうような気がしてどうも納得がいきません。もしこの点で何か補足説明をしてくださったら嬉しいです。 改めてここまでの丁寧な回答をくださったことに心より感謝申し上げます。

回答No.2

こんにちは、 この質問が無かったら、こんな素晴らしい歌を全く知らずに過ごすところでした! 1) Never fading with the sunset けっして日没と共に消えず When the rain set in. 雨が降始めた時は、 2) Your candle's burned out long before 貴方のロウソク(ともし火)は、はるか以前に燃え尽きても Your legend ever will. 貴方の伝説よ永遠に 3) From a country lost without your soul, 貴方の魂なしには、どうしようもない国より Who'll miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know. 貴方の慈悲の翼がなくなると、とっても寂しくなります。 1)の意味は心で感じてください。 前後を多少書いて置きます。 貴方は自分の考えに従って生きたようだ  風の前のともし火(ロウソクの火)のように  けっして日没と共に消えず   雨が降始めた時は、   あなたの足音はここにいつも響いている  緑深いイングランドの丘に  貴方のロウソク(ともし火)は、はるか以前に燃え尽きても   貴方の伝説よ永遠に </i>And seems to me you lived your life Like a candle in the wind Never fading with the sunset When the rain set in And your footsteps will always fall here Along England's greenest hills Your candles burned out long before Your legend ever will(Candle In The Wind 1997より)</i> 引用もと http://www.eltonography.com/songs/candle_in_the_wind_1997.html

sabuko0501
質問者

お礼

御礼がおそくなりまして申し訳ございません。ダイアナ妃が亡くなってから10年目。懐かしくなってElton Johnの曲を出してきたら疑問に思ったので質問をさせていただきました。ご存知になる機会が作れたことをひそかに嬉しく思っております。 実はまだひっかかるのがWho'll miss the wing of your compassion More than you'll ever know. の部分です。これはそもそも疑問文なのか??と疑問です。ご存知でしたら教えてください。 私のとるにたらぬ質問にここまで丁寧に答えてくださったことに感謝申し上げます。

• mmkk21
  • ベストアンサー率30% (10/33)
回答No.1

<おことわり>私は、TOEIC730点レベルの者です。 1)陽が暮れて、また、雨季が始まって、「あなたの名前が」色あせてしまうことはない。(これらは比喩で、「いつまでも」ぐらいの意味だと思います) 2)あなたの命は、あなたの名前が忘れ去られる(であろう時)よりずっと早くに尽きてしまった。 3)あなたがいなくなったこの国(From ?)、あなたの愛の翼が消えてしまったことの寂しさは、あなた自身が一番良く知っているでしょうね。(Whoは反語ではないかと思いますが自信ありません)

sabuko0501
質問者

お礼

一番早くにお答えをいただきましたのに、御礼を申し上げるのが遅くなってしまい、申し訳ございませんでした。早速に回答を下さったことに感謝申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• 歌詞の意味を教えて下さい。

QUEENのToo much love will kill youという曲の意味合いを教えて下さい。 訳詞などでは微妙なニュアンスが伝わりにくいため、“こんなことを歌っている”的な感じを知りたいです。 宜しくお願いします。 *歌詞 I'm just the pieces of the man I used to be Too many bitter tears are rainin' down on me I'm far away from home And I've been facing this alone For much too long I feel like no-one ever told the truth to me About growin' up and what a struggle it would be In my tangled state of mind I've been lookin' back to find Where I went wrong Too much love will kill you If you can't make up your mind Torn between the lover And the love you leave behind You're headed for disaster 'cos you never read the signs Too much love will kill you Every time I'm just the shadow of the man I used to be And it seems like there's no way out of this for me I used to bring you sunshine Now all I ever do is bring you down How would it be if you were standing in my shoes Can't you see that it's impossible to choose Oh there's no making sense of it Every way I go I'm about to lose Yeah, too much love will kill you Just as sure as none at all It'll drain the power that's in you Make you plead and scream and crawl And the pain will make you crazy You're the victim of your crime Too much love will kill you Every time Yeah, too much love will kill you It'll make your life a lie Yes, too much love will kill you And you won't understand why You'd give your life, you'd sell your soul But here it comes again Too much love will kill you In the end... In the end...

• 一部の歌詞と和訳を教えて下さい!!

Bruno MarsのGrenadeという曲にある、 【 】内の和訳を教えていただけませんか? また、【 】内の≪ ≫の歌詞が、「breaks」の他にも「brakes」と書かれていたりします。 歌詞の前後からしてどちらが正しいのでしょうか? 宜しくお願いします!! Easy come, easy go That's just how you live, oh Take, take, take it all, But you never give Should of known you was trouble from the first kiss, Had your eyes wide open - Why were they open? (*1) Gave you all I had And you tossed it in the trash You tossed it in the trash, you did To give me all your love is all I ever asked, Cause what you don't understand is I'd catch a grenade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah) Throw my hand on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah) I'd jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah , yeah) You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah) Oh, oh I would go through all this pain, Take a bullet straight through my brain, Yes, I would die for ya baby ; But you won't do the same No, no, no, no Black, black, black and blue beat me till I'm numb Tell the devil I said "hey" when you get back to where you're from Mad woman, bad woman, That's just what you are, yeah, 【You'll smile in my face then rip the ≪breaks か brakes≫ out my car】 Gave you all I had (*1) If my body was on fire, ooh You' d watch me burn down in flames You said you loved me you're a liar Cause you never, ever, ever did baby... But darling I'll still catch a grenade for ya Throw my hand on a blade for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah) I'd jump in front of a train for ya (yeah, yeah , yeah) You know I'd do anything for ya (yeah, yeah, yeah) Oh, oh I would go through all this pain, Take a bullet straight through my brain, Yes, I would die for ya baby ; But you won't do the same. No, you won't do the same, You wouldn't do the same, Ooh, you'll never do the same, No, no, no, no

• 英文のラブレター

英語圏の女性と文通をしています。 僕は彼女に恋をしていて、手紙でよくアプローチをしています。先日彼女からもらった手紙がラブレターのように思えるのですが、どなたか判断してもらえませんか?訳はわかるのですが、ただの友達にも出すものなのかどうかがわかりません。 my best wishes No one ever saw me like you do I feel the magic was all in you... The magic to make me smile,even when i'm sad. The make me feel better, even when i'm down. I ever never knew just what a smile is worth. I ever never knew what's the real meaning of happiness,but your eye tellin' me everythin' without a single word. 途中省略 And if there's one great wish for me to tell you, that is wishing you to stay in my life. Not just for a while but forever....without decay.But if time come you need to go your way, i'll just open my hert to understand,your happiness will be my hapiness too. whatever hapened i'll treature our friendship ever for life.

• 適語選び

【1】(  )に入る適語を選びなさい。  (1)She put the (washing / washed) clothes into the basket.  (2)A (rolling / rolled) stone gathers no moss.  (3)The (exciting / excited) audience stood up and cheered.  (4)You had better not go to see such a (boring / bored) movie.  (5)I write (which / who / that / what) I think or feel in my diary.  (6)Tim made friends with a girl (who / whose / which / what) brother is a lawyer.  (7)The hotel (where / who / which / what) we’ll stay at tomorrow has a pool.  (8)Anyone (who / whose / whom / which) likes animals can join our society.  (9)China is the only foreign country (what / who / whose / that) I’ve ever visited.  (10)Everyone in this country has the (left / front / back / right) or free speech.  (11)This storm won’t (first / stop / last / late) long, It’ll clear up in a few hours.  (12)Will you please (focus / mind / care / worry) your business? I can do it by myself.  (13)Can you lend me fifty cents? I don’t have any small (bill / cent / dollar / change)    何度もすみません。回答、よろしくお願いします_(._.)_

• BIGBANGの歌詞なのですが

BIGBANGの歌詞なのですが 自分で少し訳したのですがわからないところが多くて困っています。 誰か訳していただけないでしょうか... カジュアルな感じでいいので よろしくお願いしますm(_)m I don’t wanna be without you girl (Got me slowly dying) Where did we go wrong my girl (Why can’t we keep on trying) I don’t wanna be without you girl (I gave my heart to you) Going outta my mind, cuz I love you, I need you girl Baby baby baby You know we go back for oh so long Baby baby baby Used to having you here in my arms Baby baby baby You know what we had was oh so strong Just say you’ll still be mine Cuz I love you, I need you girl My homey lover friend, together yea we had it all Could never see an end, just roll forever deep in love We’d get our groove on Do everything so happily, so free And nothing anyone could ever hate on (Yea, yea, yea) Baby you’re my everything; I’ll do anything for ya Never knew another girly quite like ya And I wanna excite ya Like, like giving you what you wanna do girl If there’s anyone, I’ll straight run ‘em Unfadeable, GD stun ‘em What up, what up, can’t put up, put up When you’re telling me you’re gonna need time alone Tried to call you a thousand times up on the phone ( I called you on the phone) Never did you answer once, you know that’s wrong (You know that’s really wrong yea) Can we talk this out, I wanna know why did you leave me hanging, oh so dam Yo, we used to be one, lovers on the run, no doubt Fosho, we got each other’s back, that’s fact yo Never had a big prob we’d solve and evolve like a couple should is all, that’s all It seemed we had the love thing on locked With everything we were top But little did I know That you would just up and go How could I’ve known Cuz all in my eyes It was all good Had everything we ever wanted Now that you’re showing your True colors baby, now I know (You Know) Oh, that we weren’t meant to be no, nooo

• マスターズ・ゴルフトーナメント テーマ曲の訳

マスターズ・ゴルフトーナメントで毎年流れるテーマ曲があります。 とても古い曲の様でCDは発売されていませんが、YouTubeにUPされています。 歌詞も検索すると出てきました。 が、当方英語が全く分かりませんので、どなたか訳して貰えないでしょうか? 歌詞の中に歴代の名プレイヤーの名前が何人も出てきます。(大体そこだけは分かります(^^;) *Augusta<このコースが有る地名=ゴルフコースの愛称 *18th fairway<ゴルフは18ホールで争われるので、最後の18ホールのこと? *Sunday afternoon<決勝で優勝者が決まるおおよその時間、日曜日の午後 *Watson, Byron Nelson, Demaret<歴代プレイヤーの名前 *Amen Corner and it's Hogan's perfect swing<アーメンコーナーはホーガンが完璧なスウィングを見せた場所? *Sarazen's double eagle at the 15<サラゼンがダブルエッジで・・・・ *And the spirit of Clifford Roberts that keeps it alive<クリフォード・ロバーツのスピリットは今も生きている *And the wooden-shafted legend of Bobby Jones.<ボビー・ジョーンズの木製シャフトは今や伝説だ 上記が部分部分の私なりの理解です。(^^;) 多分通しで訳すと、もっとセンチメンタルな偉大なるプレイヤーと歴史の有るコースを称えるような 歌詞だと思います。 ご協力お願いします。m(_ _)m Well, it's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane It's the Augusta National and the master of the game Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday afternoon? Who'll walk the 18th fairway singing this tune? Augusta, your dogwoods and pines They play on my mind like a song Augusta, it's you that I love And it's you that I'll miss when I'm gone. It's Watson, Byron Nelson, Demaret, Player and Snead It's Amen Corner and it's Hogan's perfect swing It's Sarazen's double eagle at the 15 in '35 And the spirit of Clifford Roberts that keeps it alive Augusta, your dogwoods and pines They play on my mind like a song Augusta, it's you that I love And it's you that I miss when I'm gone. It's the legions of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's throngs And the wooden-shafted legend of Bobby Jones.

• If you've ever flown

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年12月号Lesson18(3)のGraceさんの台詞からです。 If you’ve ever flown across time zones, you’ll notice that airlines often serve scrambled eggs and other breakfast foods to help passengers adjust. 現在完了形のIf you’ve ever flownの後に、未来形の主節you’ll notice that…が続きます。時制の一致ではないので、未来形が来てもいいのですが、「複数の時間帯を超えて飛行機に乗った経験があれば、that以下のことに気づくでしょう。」という言い方は不思議な気がします。もしyou might notice thatなら納得できるのですが… [質問] Graceさんの台詞を見直してみると、最初に「朝食を毎日とることが大切だ」と言っています。その前置きを考慮すると、“複数の時間帯を超えて飛行機に乗った経験があれば、「朝食を毎日とることが大切だ」と私が言うことを聞いて、that以下のことに思い当たるでしょう。”と言う意味でしょうか? Grace: Eating breakfast every day will train your body to expect it and help get you in sync with the morning. If you’ve ever flown across time zones, you’ll notice that airlines often serve scrambled eggs and other breakfast foods to help passengers adjust. @2017年12月L18(3) ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 英文がわかりません・・・。

初めまして。 今回初めて質問させていただきます。 初心者なので、慣れていませんがよろしくお願いします。 早速で失礼します。 あるゲーム友達のメールで来たのですが、下記の英語の文章の和訳がわかりません・・・。 どなたか分かる方はいらっしゃいませんでしょうか? listen. I was not blowing you off. I'm your friend I wouldn't do that 2 you or anybody my game really wouldn't let me connect 2u & my little sister needed so. I went 2 help her & that's she truth tell you what next time your online. I'll get you in the game with her and if you ever need help 4 anything. I'll help you okay friend forget me please. I'm very sorry friend. 所々に見える数字などはたぶん 2=to、4=for だと自分では考えています。 それを踏まえて翻訳サイトなどで調べてみても、なかなかわかりません。 分かる方がいらっしゃれば、翻訳よろしくお願いいたします。 では、失礼いたしました。

• 翻訳をお願いいたします

英文の和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 後半は定型文だと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 You may not instantly recognize that effect as being to do with love. It depends if you have loved this way before, if you have ever met someone, who your soul had an echo to. But later you will know its love. Later you’ll realize you have always since that first moment and first meeting loved him, and that that was the moment your life changed without your realizing it ever would.. Once again it is with regrets that we must come to the end of our time together and close the portals of the night sky. Your chart is like the celestial or spiritual book of destiny, it is your life and fate Between its covers are many secret things. I am only the translator of this heavenly book, most things can be found in your chart. But only the greater force who carved your destiny knows all.

• 歌詞の和訳をお願いします

Don't Turn Around と言う曲なのですが 和訳をお願いします。 (Spoken) I will survive without you... Don't tell me that you wanna leave... Whoa whoa whoa whoa Whoa whoa whoa whoa If you wanna leave I won't beg you to stay And if you gotta go, darling Maybe it's better that way I'm gonna be strong I'm gonna do fine Don't worry about this heart of mine (Spoken) Walk out that door See if I care Go on and go, but Don't turn around 'Cause you're gonna see my heart breaking Don't turn around I don't want you seeing me cry Just walk away It's tearing me apart that you're leaving I'm letting you go But I won't let you know... I won't let you know. Whoa whoa whoa whoa Whoa whoa whoa whoa I won't miss your arms around me Holding me tight (Holding me tight) And if you ever think about me Just know that I'll be alright (I'll be alright) I'm gonna be strong I'm gonna do fine Don't worry about this heart of mine (Spoken) I will survive I'll make it through I'll even learn to live without you Don't turn around 'Cause you're gonna see my heart breaking Don't turn around I don't want you seeing me cry Just walk away It's tearing me apart that you're leaving I'm letting you go But I won't let you know... I wish I could scream out loud That I love you, I wish I could say to you Don't go........ (Spoken) As he walks away He feels the pain getting strong People in your life They don't know what's going on Too proud to turn around He's gone Don't turn around 'Cause you're gonna see my heart breaking Don't turn around I don't want you seeing me cry Just walk away It's tearing me apart that you're leaving I'm letting you go, Baby don't turn around Whoa whoa whoa whoa Don't turn around Whoa whoa whoa whoa Just walk away Whoa whoa whoa whoa It's tearing me apart that you're leaving I'm letting you go Don't turn around Whoa whoa whoa whoa Don't turn around Whoa whoa whoa whoa Just walk away Whoa whoa whoa whoa