• ベストアンサー

英文和訳について。

During a recent visit to a high-tech high school, I watched a social-studies class working on a project on the U.S. government. Their findings were to be presented on the screen using a computer. When the teacher showed me her favorite report, I was immediately taken by its beautiful graphics - and confused by its minimal information on the government. No wonder. The student said that of the 18 hours they had spent on the project, he had devoted roughly 10 hours to mastering the graphics. Later, when the teacher asked a few elementary questions about the government, half the class did not know the answers. 【先端技術を用いた高校つい最近訪問したところ、私は、社会科クラスが米国政府プロジェクトに取り組んでいるのを見ました。彼らの発見は、コンピュータを使ってスクリーン上に映し出されることになっていました。先生が私に彼女のお気に入りのレポートを見せてくれたとき、私は、その美しいグラフィックスにすぐにひきつけられました 。そして、政府に関するその最小の情報に困惑します。これは驚きではない。生徒たちはそのプロジェクトで費やした18時間うち、彼はおよそ10時間をグラフィックスをマスターすることに費やしたと言いました。後で、先生が2、3の基本の質問に政府について尋ねたとき、クラスの半数は答えを知りません。】 うまく訳せませんでした。 この英文の訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • MayIHELPY
  • ベストアンサー率49% (335/674)
回答No.2

During a recent visit to a high-tech high school, I watched a social-studies class working on a project on the U.S. government. Their findings were to be presented on the screen using a computer. When the teacher showed me her favorite report, I was immediately taken by its beautiful graphics - and confused by its minimal information on the government. No wonder. The student said that of the 18 hours they had spent on the project, he had devoted roughly 10 hours to mastering the graphics. Later, when the teacher asked a few elementary questions about the government, half the class did not know the answers. より良い訳をご希望のようなので添削させていただきます。 全体の訳を拝見して気が付いたのは、直訳したほうが良い箇所を意訳し、意訳したほうが良い箇所を直訳しているため自然な日本語になっていることです。 > During a recent visit to a high-tech high school, I watched a social-studies class working on a project on the U.S. government. (1) この部分を「~すると~でした」と意訳しているため、ニュアンスが異なる訳になっています。ここで、そのまま直訳し、「先端技術を用いるある高校を訪問している間に」と訳すほうがbetterです。少なくても「先端技術を用いるある高校を訪問したときに」のほうがより正確です。 (2) watchedは、「見学した」又は「参観した」のほうが良いと思います。 (3) a project on the U.S. governmentを「米国政府プロジェクト」と訳していますが、それでは、米国政府が行っているプロジェクト、つまり、a U.S. government projectのことになってしまいます。ここでも直訳して「米国政府に関するあるプロジェクト」としたほうが正確です。つまり、「米国政府を対象にした研究」という意味です。 参考訳 先端技術を用いるある高校を訪問しているときに、社会科のクラスが米国政府に関する研究に取り組んでいるのを見学した。 > Their findings were to be presented on the screen using a computer. When the teacher showed me her favorite report, I was immediately taken by its beautiful graphics - and confused by its minimal information on the government. (1) findingsにsが付いている場合は普通名詞で、「発見された事柄」「調査結果」「研究結果」などの意味になります。 (2) its minimal information on the governmentについて、 この場合は、直訳すると、「政府に関する最小限の情報」ですが、意訳して「政府自体に関しては最小限のことしか書かれていなかったことに困惑した」とするとわかりやすいと思います。 参考訳 研究結果はコンピュータを使って画面上で発表されることになっていたが、担任の先生に最も気に入ったレポートをみせてもらったところ、その美しいグラフィックスにすぐにひきつけられたのと同時に政府自体に関しては最小限のことしか書かれていなかったことに困惑した。 > No wonder. The student said that of the 18 hours they had spent on the project, he had devoted roughly 10 hours to mastering the graphics. ここでも意訳して、「しかしながら、このことはまったく驚くべきことではなかった。というのは、生徒たちがその研究に費やした18時間うち、この生徒はおよそ10時間をグラフィックスをマスターすることに費やしたと言ったからである。」 となります。 > Later, when the teacher asked a few elementary questions about the government, half the class did not know the answers. (1) a few elementary questions about the government questions about~は「~に関する質問」ですので全体訳は以下のようになります。 参考訳 その後に先生が政府に関していくつかの基本的な質問をしたところ、クラスの半数の生徒は答えを知りませんでした(=質問に答えることができませんでした)。

kamenoko01
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく丁寧に解説していただき、どうもありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• MayIHELPY
  • ベストアンサー率49% (335/674)
回答No.3

No.2です。 「自然な日本語になっていることです」は「不自然な日本語になっていることです」です。失礼しました。

• do-deshow
  • ベストアンサー率25% (54/211)
回答No.1

社会科クラスが米国政府プロジェクトを研究しているのを見ました。 彼らの研究成果は_____ 私はそのレポートの、美しいグラフィックスにすぐにひきつけられ(同時に)政府に関する貧弱な情報に困惑しました。(この落差は何なのだと言う当惑) これは当然の事で(落差を感じた原因に続きます) 生徒たちはそのプロジェクトで費やした18時間うち、彼はおよそ10時間をグラフィックスをマスターすることに費やしたと言いました。 後で、先生が政府についての初歩的な質問をいくつか尋ねたとき、クラスの半数は答えを知りませんでした。    あなたの訳はできていると思います。 書き手の気持ちが、I was taken~~and confusedにある事を考え、和文を書き直して見ました。

kamenoko01
質問者

お礼

わかりやすく解説していただいてどうもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳

It now contains statues given to the government by various states-hence its name. →それは、今様々な州によって政府に従って与えられた彫像を含んでいます、その名前。 この文の正確な訳をおしえてください。

• 和訳をお願いします。

In November Ferry presented a report on the shortage of manpower. A secret session was held on 21 November about calling up the Class of 1918 followed by another a week later. On 27 November Briand proposed that Joffre be effectively demoted to commander-in-chief in northern France, with both he and Sarrail reporting to the War Minister, although he withdrew this proposal after Joffre threatened resignation. The Closed Session began on 28 November and lasted until 7 December. Briand had little choice but to make concessions to preserve his government, and in a speech of 29 November he promised to repeal Joffre's promotion of December 1915 and in vague terms to appoint a general as technical adviser to the government. Briand survived a confidence vote by 344-160 (six months earlier he had won a confidence vote 440-80).

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! 20The year 1953 had begun particularly successfully for Adenauer as regards foreign policy. 21On 19 March the Bundestag had ratified the treaty of the European Defence Community (EDC). 22Only France’s signature was missing. 25Above and beyond that, uncertainty about the consequences of a possible intervention was too great. 26Only when, in the next few days, he came under pressure to act did Adenauer address a telegram to the heads of government of the Western Allies on 21 June.

• 英文と和訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

Daigo also told me that when his class was going on a school trip, his teacher told the class to come to the school at 5:00 a.m. When he dutifully arrived at the still-dark school at the stated hour, no one, not even the teacher, was there. The U.S. students started to arrive before 6:00. The teacher herself arrived after 7:00. Most of the Venezuelan students arrived around 8:00, which was the "real" hour of departure. When Daigo asked the teacher why she did not say 8:00 to begin with, she replied, "If I said 8:00, no one would arrive before 10:00!" Strangely, the same students apparently arrived more or less on time to their classes. The rules of time are hard to fathom across cultures. 日本語訳 ダイゴは、彼のクラスが修学旅行に行ったとき、先生が全員に学校に朝5時に来るように言ったとも語りました。彼が律儀にまだ(電気がついてなくて)暗い学校に時間通りについたとき、誰も、先生すら、そこに居なかったのです。アメリカ人の学生たちは6時前に到着し始めました。先生自身は7時を過ぎて到着しました。ほとんどのベネズエラ人の学生は「まさに」出発する時間の8時頃に到着しました。ダイゴが先生にどうして最初から8時と言わなかったのか尋ねた時、彼女はこう答えました。「もし8時っていったら誰も10時前に来なかったわよ!」不思議なことに同じ学生たちはどうやら、自分たちの授業には大体時間通りに来るのでした。時間のルールを異文化間で理解するのは難しいことなのです。

• 次の英文を和訳してください!

What would you do if you had two hours to invest five dollars? In an experiment, teams received an envelope with five dollars and were told they could spend as much time as they wanted planning. However, once they opened the envelope,the y had two hours to generate as much money as possible. She gave them from Wednesday afternoon until Sunday evening to complete the assignment. Then, on Monday afternoon each team had three minutes to present their plans to the class. They were encouraged to be entrepreneurial by identifying opportunities, challenging assumptions, leaveraging the limited resources they had, and by being creative. What would do if you were faced with this challenge? Would you go to Las Vegas or would you buy a lottery ticket? There may be significant risk with a small chance of winning. Another idea is to set up a car wash or lemonade stand, using the five dollars to purchase the start-up materials. But most of her students eventually found a way to go far beyond the standard responses. They seriously challenged traditional assumptions–exposing a wealth of possibilities–in order to create as much value as possible.

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

Then, just as the teacher was beginning to think that as long as she was quiet she might just as well stay there, Totto-chan would suddenly call out to a passing band of garishly dressed street musicians(先生ははじめは思った。彼女が静かならそこにいたってかまわないだろうと。トットちゃんは派手な恰好をしたストリートミュージシャンが突然歌い出したのをみた?).To Totto-chan's delight and the teacher's tribulation, the classroom was on the ground floor looking out on the street(嬉しいトットちゃんと悩む先生).There was only a low hedge in between, so anyone in the classroom could easily talk to people going by(?).When Totto-chan called to them, the street musicians would come right over to the window(トットちゃんが彼を呼んだとき?).Whereupon, said the teacher, Totto-chan would announce the fact to the whole room, 「Here they are!」(すると、先生は言った。トットちゃんは事実を公表した。「こんにちは」)and all the children would crowd by the window and call out to the musicians(群がる子供たちは窓のところでミュージシャンたちが歌う).英文の訳をお願いします。訳した箇所もありますが間違ってますので確認をお願いします。

• 英文

中学生です。 間違いがあれば指摘してほしいです! 合っているか分からないけど一応書いてみた部分もあります(;;) しかし上達のためには書いて間違った方がいいのかなと思うので そのままにしています! あきれるかもしれませんが指摘待ってます!! By the time I got to school, The class had already started. I said to my teacher, '' I'm sorry, I was late because of rain.'' Then, I sat down next to Mike. There is my school close to downtown. Our teacher, Ms. White, has a variety of hobbies. For example, skiing. She really loves to ski and she knows everything when it comes to ski. Almost everyone was sleeping at the end of class.

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

On 2 August 1914, the Belgian government refused passage through Belgium to German troops and on the night of 3/4 August the Belgian General Staff ordered the 3rd Division to Liège to obstruct a German advance. The German army invaded Belgium on the morning of 4 August. Covered by the Third Division, the Liège fortress garrison, a screen of the Cavalry Division and detachments from Liège and Namur, the Belgian field army closed up to the river Gete and by 4 August, the First Division had assembled at Tienen, the Fifth Division at Perwez, the Second Division at Leuven and the Sixth Division at Wavre, covering central and western Belgium and communications towards Antwerp. German cavalry appeared at Visé early on 4 August, to find the bridge down and Belgian troops on the west bank; the Germans crossed at a ford and forced the Belgians to retire towards Liège. By evening, it was clear to the Belgian High Command that the Third Division and the Liège garrison were in the path of a very large invasion force. With information that five German corps and six reserve corps were in Belgium and with no immediate support available from the French army and British Expeditionary Force (BEF), the Belgian field army was ordered to withdraw towards the National Redoubt on the evening of 18 August and arrived on 20 August. At an engagement between the First Division and the German IX Corps near Tienen, the Belgians had 1,630 casualties. The Belgian government of Charles de Broqueville left Brussels for Antwerp and the Belgian capital was occupied unopposed on 20 August, as the Belgian field army completed its retirement to Antwerp. The German Siege of Namur ended with a Belgian capitulation on 24 August, as the field army made a sortie from Antwerp towards Brussels. The Germans detached the III Reserve Corps from the 1st Army to mask the city and a division of the IV Reserve Corps to occupy Brussels. On 1 October, General Hans Hartwig von Beseler ordered an attack on the Antwerp forts Sint-Katelijne-Waver, Walem and the Bosbeek and Dorpveld redoubts by the 5th Reserve and Marine divisions. By 11:00 a.m. Fort Walem was severely damaged, Fort Lier had been hit by a 16-inch (410 mm) shell, Fort Koningshooikt and the Tallabert and Bosbeek redoubts were mostly intact and the intervening ground between Fort Sint-Katelijne-Waver and Dorpveld redoubt had been captured. A counter-attack failed and the Fourth Division was reduced to 4,800 infantry. The Belgian commanders ordered the left flank of the army to withdraw to a line of defence north of the Nete, which covered the gap in the outer defences and kept the city out of range of German super-heavy artillery. Proclamations warning the inhabitants that King Albert I and the government would leave Antwerp were put up during the day.

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

Döring also appealed for neutrality because of the economic interdependence of the West African colonies and their common interest in dominating local populations. On 6 August, the Cabinet in London refused the offer of neutrality and Bryant on his own initiative, after hearing that the French in Dahomey wished to co-operate, sent Captain Barker and the District Commissioner of Keta to Döring, with a demand the surrender of the colony and gave 24-hours to reply. The next morning the British intercepted a wireless message from Döring that he was withdrawing from the coast to Kamina and that Lomé would be surrendered if attacked. A similar proposal for neutrality from Döring had been received by the Governor of Dahomey, who took it for a declaration of war and ordered an invasion. A French contingency plan to seize Lomé and the coast had been drafted in ignorance of the wireless station at Kamina, only 37 mi (60 km) from the Dahomey border. Late on 6 August, French police occupied customs posts near Athieme and next day Major Maroix, the commander of French military forces in Dahomey, ordered the capture of Agbanake and Aneho. Agbanake was occupied late on 7 August, the Mono River was crossed and a column under Captain Marchand took Aneho early on 8 August; both moves were unopposed and local civilians helped to see off the Germans, by burning down the Government House at Sebe. The ~460 colonists and Askaris retreated inland, impressing civilians and calling up reservists as they moved north. Repairs began on the Aneho–Lomé railway and the French advanced to Porto Seguro and Togo before stopping the advance, once it was clear that Lomé had been surrendered to British forces. The British invasion began late on 7 August, the British emissaries returned to Lomé by lorry, to find that the Germans had left for Kamina and given Herr Clausnitzer discretion to surrender the colony up to Chra, 75 mi (120 km) inland, to prevent a naval bombardment of Lomé. On 8 August, the emissaries took command of fourteen British soldiers and police from Aflao; a telegraph operator arrived by bicycle and repaired the line to Keta and Accra. The British flag was raised and on 9 August, parties of troops arrived having marched 50 mi (80 km) in exhausting heat. Over the border, Bryant had arranged to move the main force by sea and embarked on the Elele on 10 August. Three other companies had been ordered to Krachi, to begin a land advance to Kamina. The Elele arrived off Lomé on 12 August and the force disembarked through the surf. Arrangements were made with the French, for a converging advance towards Atakpame by the British and the French from Aneho, a French column under Maroix from Tchetti in the north and the British column at Krachi under Captain Elgee.

• 英文を和訳して下さい。

Realizing that the British might try to break the siege by advancing on the right bank, the Ottoman commander ordered the construction of the Dujaila redoubt. Aylmer later testified he chose to attack on the right bank because although the redoubt was sited atop the Dujaila depression, construction had only begun a few days after the Hanna battle in January 1916.By the time of the assault, the Ottomans had significantly improved the position, complete with a glacés estimated to be 25 feet high in some places.