• ベストアンサー

beneath は真下だと思っていたのですが...

Anyone who has read Tolkien's 'The Hobbit' will remember the riddling competition between Bilbo Baggins-the Hobbit, and Smeagol, or Gollum-the thing that lives beneath the Misty Mountains. 最後の行の beneath をごらんください。beneath は下の層のニュアンスだと思っていたのですが、「(山の)麓」という意味で上では使っていますか?それとも「地下で」という意味ですか?

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ForrestG
  • ベストアンサー率62% (139/223)
回答No.1

地下ですね。J.R.R. Tolkien の "The Hobbit" は「ホビットの冒険」という邦題で訳書が出ているので、良ければご一読を。  http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4001140586  http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4001140586 Gollum(瀬田貞二氏による訳書では「ゴクリ」)は 地底に住んでいる一種の魔物で、主人公 Bilbo Baggins との謎かけ勝負(riddling competition)に負け、大事にしていた魔法の指輪を盗まれてしまいます。この指輪が、映画にもなった続編「指輪物語」において Bilbo から甥の Frodo の手に渡り、物語の核心と言っても良い重要な役割を果たします。 詳しくは下記ページをどうぞ(ただし「ホビットの冒険」「指輪物語」両方についてのネタバレがありますのでご注意を)。  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B4%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.4

関係代名詞の後の動詞は「lives」と三単現ですから、これはスミアゴルだけに掛かります。ビルボ爺さんの住まいとは関係ないですね。

• cabernets
  • ベストアンサー率33% (5/15)
回答No.3

beneathは下の方という意味ですが、こういう本の一文節は直訳せずに、「山」の下の方だから「麓」と翻訳者が解釈した、と考えてみてはいかがでしょうか。 洋書を読むときはあまり細かく辞書をひいて日本語に訳すより、拾い読みをしてニュアンスで捉えて読んでいったほうが読みやすいし早いです。 Misty Mountainsと聞いて、なんかじめじめしているweirdな雰囲気のねぐらを想像するような感じで。 英語の授業でなければ(もし英語の授業の宿題だったらごめんなさい)ストーリーに直接関係のない、どうでもよさそうな単語はskipしてこだわらないで読むという方法もあります。

回答No.2

【副】~に遮られる、~の下に、~の真下に、~の足下に、~に値しない、~にふさわしくない、~に似つかわしくない、~の沽券にかかわる、品位にかかわる、~の支配下に、身分がより低い、足りない (英辞郎) 麓の意は無いようですが・・・

関連するQ&A

• 関係代名詞と冠詞

関係代名詞と冠詞 以下の文について ・全て文法的・意味的に正しい文でしょうか? ・それぞれの意味のニュアンスは正しいでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。 (1)I have a friend who lives in Canada. (2)I have the friend who lives in Canada. (3)That is a train which goes to Osaka. (4)That is the train which goes to Osaka. (5)Ms.Green is a teacher whom everyone likes. (6)Ms.Green is the teacher whom everyone likes. (1) 友人は複数いるが、カナダに住んでいる友人は1人である。 (2) ? (3) 大阪行きの電車は複数あるが、それはそのうちの1本である。 (4) それは大阪行きの電車で、先ほどまで話題にしていたものである。 (5) 誰もが好きな先生は複数いるが、グリーンさんはそのうちの1人である。 (6) グリーン先生は誰もが好きなまさにその先生である。

• 比較級の疑問文のつくり方を教えてください。

○ Who+一般動詞の疑問文+比較級, A or B? 意味: 「…はAとBのどちらのほうが~ですか」 例文: Who do you think taller, Mike or Tom?   (あなたはマイクとトムのどちらのほうが背が高いと思いますか。) [答え]  I think Tom is ( taller than Mike ).        (私はトムのほうだと思います。)  という参考書の文ですが、使用例を調べても疑問詞が残りの質問文にGAP部分を含ませて文を作る というので習ってきたので、例文ではisがぬけているのではありませんか? Who do you think is taller, A or B? もしくは Who do you thing is taller between A and B? でないといけないのではないですか? is がないのが不自然に思われます。答えから考えてもisはいると思います。どなたか ないのがいいのか ないと不自然でおかしい間違いなのか 教えてください。

• この英文の意味を理解できないのです・・・

下の英文をわかる方、いらっしゃいますでしょうか? 「What doesn't kill makes YOU stronger」の部分は、たぶん、直訳で「何かで殺されないことは、あなたを強くする」、意訳で「何の困難は、あなたを強くする」??というような意味だったかと思いますが・・・ あとは、どう訳してよいのか、よくわからないのです。 いくつかの翻訳ソフトにかけてみたのですが、意味不明な訳になってしまいます。 どなたか、わかる方がいましたら、ご教授くださいませ。 よろしくお願いします。 ----------------------------------------- What doesn't kill makes YOU stronger. (Really!!!) Keep your experience, bitter or sweet, in a scrapbook to learn and laugh when it's time. (Of course you will). But DON'T waste your time live it day in and day out... I never know one... who doesn't want to love... and be loved. I hardly know anyone... who doesn't hit a bump with the thing so-called "love" (life must be really borrrrring if it’s so !!!) But I do know someone....who recognize self and appreciate life much better after going thru... luv.

• 彼はどう理解したのかわかりません訳を見てください

彼はどう理解したのかがわかりません。 It sucks but there is right, wrong and " the best thing to do"Japan was right, in their minds , china was right in their minds,,,,, don't know who owns the island Japan did the best thing by not provoking the situation their gain would have been small,,, ( Japan justice ) but the consequence would have been big, economic sanctions and the world seeing japan in a negative way  それぞれが正義だと思ってると言ってるのですよね?日本の何を正義だと言ってるのでしょうか?私は今回の尖閣諸島での民主党の対応などを説明したつもりで、私は今回の民主党の対処には批判的です。このこともかいたのですが、、、、私は今回の民主党の対応を日本の正義だとはまったく思ってないのですが、私の考えはあまり彼には意味がつうじてませんか?(英語が下手なので) 訳やニュアンスを教えてください 

• 意味をよろしくお願いします

I’m a pretty direct woman who has wanted to reject “the rules.” I’ve tried to be vulnerable and real with men that I’m interested in, and more often than not, this sends them running for the hills. I’m starting to think that there is something to this whole, like, mysterious being-hard-to-get thing. But it’s just not who I am. Even if I did play this game, I would still have a body of work anyone could easily Google about being a feminist, sex-positive woman. Kinda takes the mystery out. 最後のKinda takes the mystery out.の意味をよろしくお願いします

• 翻訳希望

翻訳をしていただけますか? よろしくお願いします。 Please remember that we can do a synastry reading from any two charts We could do a synastry reading between your chart and mine, or your chart and a total stranger, or a film star who is not known to you except on screen and it would show in detail a future that would happen if the two lives become merged into one. But it doesn't automatically mean they will merge. In constructing the synastry we also assume there is some existing and practical realistic link between you. That you know the person. That they area close friend or partner. It is always very difficult to say for certain if two people will marry from examining their charts. It is only really the strong possibility of marriage that we can determine. Because even if every marriage aspect known to astrology is visible, and it appears in cross aspects between the charts linking them, there are millions of people in the world who's charts may also have similar aspects and links to yours, should you happen to meet up. So its never possible to say for certain, but there are enough aspects between your two chart for the marriage to be a good possibility The more involved your lives are in a practical way the stronger the possibility of course..

• 正誤問題

文法・語法上の誤りを指摘する問題です。自分が良く分からなかったものを挙げます。間違い訂正、解説等お願いします。 1The number of people who was injured was greater than they had expected. 2Have you read in the newspaper that his leg was broken while playing football? 3Anyone who plan to attend the meeting ought to send a short note to the office. 4If you don't want to go on the tour to the Galapagos Islands, I won't go, too. 5Ecoactivists believe it is wrong to kill mink, or any other animal, for the fur. 6Do you remember the name of the restaurant which we ate lunch two weeks ago? 7She tried telephoning to him three times, but his line was always busy, so she gave up. 8The most answer is to be sure that power is never given to those who cannot love. 9Many Japanese people are hesitant to speak to foreigners even they know English well. 10This is a letter from my mother, who we hope that will be out of the hospital soon.

• so far from being の解釈

添付リンク動画の 12:52辺りで話者が I did not understand how lonely I was, and of course, ironically, the last thing you want is to have people around you; you do not want to let anyone in. And I'm so far from being the only one who has felt like this. Depression is a massive issue. と言っている部分について質問です。 And I'm so far from being the only one who has felt like this. をどのように理解すれば良いのか分からないです。 「わたしは、このように感じた唯一の人であることから、ずいぶんかけ離れています。」 so far from beingを以下の成句のように取ると意味が分からなくなるので、文字通りに解釈して理解するのが合っているのか分からないです。解説宜しくお願いします。 [so fár from dóing …するよりむしろ, …する代わりに 《◆文頭では so の省略も可; →FAR from ... ⑶》] <ジーニアス辞典> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-Gil9l8yIE&list=PL30zjok3FlgCz516IQ54DML47ra04Hkot&index=2

• 英訳お願いします。

(7)“Any place you love is the world to you,” exclaimed a pensive Catherine Wheel, who had been attached to an old deal box in early life, and prided herself on her broken heart: “but love is not fashionable any more: the poets have killed it. They wrote so much about it that nobody believed them, and I am not surprised. True love suffers, and is silent. I remember myself once-But it is no matter now. Romance is a thing of the past.” (8)“Nonsense!” said the Roman Candle, “Romance never dies. It is like the moon, and lives for ever. The bride and bridegroom, for instance, love each other very dearly. I heard all about them this morning from a brown-paper cartridge, who happened to be staying in the same drawer as myself, and he knew the latest Couet news.” (9)But the Catherine Wheel shook her head. “Romance is dead, Romance is dead, Romance is dead,” she murmured. She was one of those people who think that, if you say the same thing over a great many times, it becomes true in the end. (10)Suddenly, a sharp, dry cough was heard, and they all looked round. (11)It came from a tall, supercilious-looking Rocket, who was tied to the end of a long stick . He always coughed before he made any observation, so as to attract attention.

• [余興用] 英文の添削修正のお願い

[余興用] 英文の添削修正のお願い 前回、英文の添削をお願いし、cbm51901様に仕上げていただきました。 ありがとうございました。 http://okwave.jp/qa/q8803939.html?from=history その後、余興用の撮影などを行ううち、 ストーリーを変更せざるを得ない状況となり 下記のように文章を変更いたしました。 きれいな文に仕上げていただき大変申し訳ないのですが、 再度文章の添削をお願いできないでしょうか。 どうぞよろしくお願い致します。 ------------------------------------------ 皆様、本日はご来場いただき、誠にありがとうございます。 エピソード1『みかんが繋ぐ愛』 タロウは海の民。 生まれ育った横浜の街を誰よりも愛している。 友達にも仕事にも恵まれ、充実した毎日を送っていた。 ハナコは山の民。 大都会東京で、故郷静岡のみかんを売って生活していた。 商売が軌道に乗ったマユミは、恵比寿にオフィスを構え、 みかんの販路拡大を狙っていた。 これは、海で育った男と山で育った女との、 美しい愛の物語である... (ちなみにフィクションである...) ------------------------------------------ ↓↓ ------------------------------------------ Everyone, today received your visit, Thank you very much. Episode 1 "Love, which connected by orange" Taro belongs to the sea. More than anyone, he loves Yokohama city where he was born and raised. He was blessed to also work to friends, sent every day to fulfilling. Hanako is from the mountains. In the big city, Tokyo, she had been making a living by selling oranges from Shizuoka, her hometown. As Hanako's business got on track, She has offices in Ebisu,and aimed at expanding sales channels of oranges. This is an enchanting tale of love between two people: A woman who grew up in the mountains, and a man who grew up in the sea. (Incidentally, this is a fiction ...) ------------------------------------------