ギリシャ史の本を読もうとする主人公に現れた老人の驚きの言葉

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 主人公が図書館でギリシャ史の本を読もうとしていたところ、老人が現れる。
  • 老人は主人公にその本が興味深いと言い、ギリシャ歴史に詳しいことが分かる。
  • 老人はまるで死んだギリシャ人たちが現代の世界の一部のように聞こえるような話し方をする。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

この英文の意味するところを教えていただけませんか.

少し長くなりますが,前文がないと意味の取りようがないと思いますので,タイプします.次に挙げる文の前に,主人公は図書館に入って,余り興味を感じないギリシャ史の本を読もうとしていたが,そのうちうとうととしだしたと言う意味合いの記述が数行に渡ってあります. When I opened my eyes there was an old man sitting there opposite me. I hadn't heard him come in and I must have looked surprised at seeing him there, because he smiled and asked if it was all right for him to sit there. He was silent for a few minutes and then he began to talk. His long thin finger pointed to the book in front of me and he said that it was interesting. Of course I didn't argue with him, even though, I didn't really agree. But it soon became clear to me that he knew a lot about Greek history, for he started to tell me things that were in that book as if he'd written it himself. [ He made it sound as if those long-dead Greeks were part of today's world.] [ ] の前までの内容は分かるのですが,[ ]の部分がどういう状況を言っているのかよく分かりません.まったく自信はないのですが,礼儀として,私のあてすっぽの解釈を申し上げます.  「彼はそれら死んで久しくなるあのギリシャ人たちが,まるでこの世の一部分であるかのように…?」  it の内容とsound の訳し方が分かりません.辞書では一応当たってみましたが.また,long-dead Greeks の意味も自身はありません.全体的にはどういう状況を表現しているのでしょう.宜しくお願いします.

noname#69266
noname#69266
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sukinyan
  • ベストアンサー率38% (119/313)
回答No.1

彼の話しぶりからすると、大昔に亡くなったはずのギリシャ人たちが、あたかも現在この世に存在するかのように聞こえた。ということで、古代ギリシャの歴史家など、まるで友人知人であるかのように、生き生きと描写され、話された、ということです。御不明な点があれば、御面倒ですが補足質問の御投稿をお願い致します。 面白そうなテキストですね。英国より応援しておりますので、頑張ってください!

noname#69266
質問者

お礼

早速のご回答,有難うございます.どうも私は sound の意味を完璧に取り違えていたように思います.だからどうしても理解ができなかったのではないでしょうか.私はここでの sound が形容詞と思い込んでいましたが,ここでの sound は原形不定詞なんですね…?私が形容詞だと思った理由は2つあります.1つは,Anchor 英和辞書によると,make A(人) do と説明されており,make が目的格補語として原形不定詞をとるのは,目的語が人のとき…と思い込んでいたからです.しかし,例文として The smoke in the room made my eyes water. が載っていました.人以外の場合もあるんですね.同じく英和辞書 Genius には,SVO(人など) do と説明されています.  2つ目の理由として考えられるのは,いま日本では Make it possible with Canon. というコピ-でキャノンのテレビコマーシャルが流れています.私が挙げた文もまさしく made it sound … となっており,これの余韻が頭にこびりついていたのかなー…と思っています(笑).  重ねてご回答にお礼申し上げます.なお,私の理解(つまり,ここでの sound は原形不定詞という理解)に誤りはないでしょうか.お手数ですが,これについてだけコメントして頂ければ,嬉しく思います.

その他の回答 (1)

• sukinyan
  • ベストアンサー率38% (119/313)
回答No.2

補足の御質問を頂きましたので、お答えいたします。 He made it sound ....で、お判りになられた通り、....をそれに続く説明内容のように聞こえるような話し方(あるいは説明etc)をした、ということですね。Canonのコマーシャル、英国ではやっていませんが、仰るとおり、同じですね! というところで、大変に申し訳ありませんが、英文法用語を駆使しての御説明ができず、深くお詫び申し上げます。でも原形不定詞というのは正しいように聞こえます。(It sounds correct to me!!)失礼致しました。(ここでは、「言葉は、文法学者のためでなく、コミュニケーションのために存在します」ので、という情けない言い訳でお茶を濁させて頂きたく存じます。)

noname#69266
質問者

お礼

お忙しいなか,お時間をとって頂き有難うございました.おかげ様で疑問点を払拭することができました.50歳をすぎてから今日までの3年余り,英語を独学してきましたが,このサイトでは今回が3回目の質問でした.ちょうど1年程前にこのサイトを偶然見つけ,毎日このサイトを見ることが私の日課になっており,多くの勉強をさせて頂いています.そして今感じること「私の英語もまだまだだなー」.  今後ともどうぞ宜しくご指導お願い致します.

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味

下記の英文のIt requires a very lively passion...のitが何を指しているのかお教えください。 I did not see Strickland for several weeks. I was disgusted with him, and if I had had an opportunity should have been glad to tell him so, but I saw no object in seeking him out for the purpose. I am a little shy of any assumption of moral indignation ; there is always in it an element of self-satisfaction which makes it awkward to anyone who has a sense of humour. It requires a very lively passion to steel me to my own ridicule. There was a sardonic sincerity in Strickland which made me sensitive to anything that might suggest a pose. itが指し示しているのは前文の(1)moral indignation(2)an element of self-satisfaction(3)to steel me to my own ridiculeのいづれでしょうか。また、このtoは(1)名詞的用法(2)形容詞的用法(3)副詞的用法のいづれでしょうか。それとも各々(1)~(3)いづれにも当てはまらないでしょうか。 お手数かけますが、ご教授いただければ幸いです。なにとぞ宜しくお願いいたします。

• この英文の意味を教えてください

以下のメールの意味がわからなくて困っています。 日本語でいうとどういう意味でしょうか。 it would be great if he came by to check and see if there's anything I may have on hand for him to do but haven't gotten around to bringing it down to him

• 英文の和訳をお願いします

映画のとあるシーンです。 普通の人とは違う特殊なものが見える人が、オカルトショップを経営しています。 その店に、変わった男が訪ねてきました。 その時のことを、経営者が思い出しながら話している、という状況です。 He came to my shop. He said he sees it too. He said I can help him stop what's coming... ... that what I saw is salvation. A salvation that some people wants to stop. He said I can help him and I should see what he sees to understand. What I saw was those he killed a long time ago and those he will kill in the future. He just looked at me, sad, and said that he knows my decision before I even say it. He gave me this mashine. He said to use it if the vision changes back.

• 下の英文で間違っているところ、不自然な表現、あまり聞かない表現などがあ

下の英文で間違っているところ、不自然な表現、あまり聞かない表現などがあればおしえてください。 One Saturday evening my boyfriend Hiroshi and I went to a concert. On our way to a concert hall, we met a foreigner having(carrying?) a traveling bag. He was looking around for something with a map in his hand. He seemed at a loss for which way to go. Then I went up and talked to him. He told me he was looking for a hotel, showing me the map.I I knew where the hotel was and suggested to him that I take him there. Hiroshi seemed worried about whether we could arrive before the starting time for a concert. But I couldn't leave him as he was a total stranger here and couldn't understand Japanese at all. We walked to the hotel for a while, and arrived there. He deeply thanked me and we separated. Meanshile, Hiroshi seemed so irritated because it was almost seven o'clock when the concert was scheduled to begin. After leaving the hotel, we went to the concert hall in a hurry. When we got to the hall, it was fifteen minutes past seven. Unfortunately we were not allowed to enter the inside by a hall clerk. Naturally, Hiroshi got mad at me.

• 意味を教えてください

I was divorced for 10 years, and am now remarried. Four months after we said I do, my first husband left me (on Valentine's Day!) without a word. It was out of character for him not to come home, and I was so worried I reported him to the police as a missing person. If that wasn't enough, he left me owing the power and water bills, and our rent was three months behind. owing the power and water billsの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文添削をお願いします。

英語の再勉強中です。 英文を作成しましたので添削をお願いします。 There was also an affair today. Of course, that result was our big boss. After our boss reported his work to him, he took a joke, ‘the man who gave me this info told me that this is so expensive.’ This word aroused him and yelled. Then he himself called on the man who said it and clamed about it like child in the presence of us. It was really unbelievable scene. There is a problem wherever he is.

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ------------------------------------------ ●It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station ~・・・ここのmy stationとはどういう意味ですか? ●I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain.について a hunted piece of natureとはどういう意味ですか? ●Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he meについて he meのつながりがわかりません。どう読むのでしょうか? 前文は He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 英文でわからないところがあります。

下記の文章の” I imagine he’s had his share of what they can do back there, too” の部分をどう訳せばいいのか教えていただけないでしょうか。 “He was always well-mannered and always a nice boy and very polite and kind, and I always remember him for that and always liked him, too. I felt quite disturbed that this would be happening. War is an awful thing, so I imagine he’s had his share of what they can do back there, too, in Afghanistan. I imagine he’s seen a lot, too, that’s maybe done things to him,” said Mattheis. 出展:VOA News http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/US-Soldier-Sentenced-to-Life-in-Prison-for-Afghan-Atrocities-133719403.html

• 意味を教えください

About a year ago, I went on a few dates with "Daniel." I had a great time and was interested in what might come of it, but after those initial few dates, he started to fade away: He took longer to answer calls and texts, conspicuously left town right before Valentine's Day, became markedly less flirty when we did talk. I chalked it up to loss of interest and was unsurprised when I stopped hearing from him altogether. About a month later, he got in touch with me to let me know he felt bad about ghosting me, and that he had done so because things had gotten serious with someone else he had started dating around the same time, "Kate." At this point, he was happily in a relationship with her, and said he wished me well. Last week, he reached out to me on Facebook wanting to talk about [something involving a mutual interest of ours], and we met for coffee -- not a date, in my understanding. There, I found out that he has since broken up with Kate. He didn't immediately ask me out on an actual date, but he did so last night -- and now I owe him a response. On the one hand, I still really like this guy as a person; all the things that attracted me to him last year are still true, and I'm still single. On the other hand, it stings that -- oversimplification alert -- something about Kate caused him to choose her over me when we had both begun dating him at the same time. I owe him a response.とoversimplification alertの意味を教えください。よろしくお願いします

• もし良ければ訳してください。

The difference between France and Peru, regarding the culture: punctuality. When I arrived, I had to buy all my furnitures. For example, a man was suppose to come to install my curtains. He gave me an hour and I spent all day waiting for him. He didn't call me either. I lost my time and I was so angry that the day after I went to his workshop to tell him that he should have called me to tell me that he couldn't come. I told me that it was a lack of respect. He promised to come the day after at 8h. He was there 5 minutes before. 特に 最後の3文の I told me 以下を重点的にお願いします。