• ベストアンサー

わからない箇所があります

ran_aichiの回答

• ran_aichi
  • ベストアンサー率27% (55/197)
回答No.3

I worried about the influence of the city on Jessica of so much that was ugly and tawdly and meretricious violent, distasteful of all the getting and spending. という3つそれぞれにつながっています。 二番目のso muchは、それほどまで(そんなにも)にという意味で that以下の文章をうけるためにあります。 She was so beatutiful that every man loved her.     ~~      ~~~~ だと「彼女はすべての男の人がほれるほどきれいだった」 といういみになりますね。 たぶんこれでいいとおもいます。

s-word
質問者

お礼

>二番目のso muchは、それほどまで(そんなにも)にという意味でthat以下の文章をうけるためにあります。 ran_aichiさんこんにちは。なるほど、much自体は「たくさん」という意味ではなくて、ぼんやりとした量を示す指示語なんですね。後ろから訳すと綺麗になりますね。どうもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所があります。

幸福な王子」の英文です。 "And now that I am dead they have set me up here so high that I can see all the ugliness and all the misery of my city," 出だしの"And now that I am dead "の個所が「結城浩訳」では 「死んでから」となっています。 この個所の訳の取り方がよくわかりません。 直訳だと「そして私が死んでいる今」になってしまう感じがするのですが・・・ 説明をいただけるとありがたいです

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. (前回の終わりの部分です) I know this view to the last detail. The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight. Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount, and that the sound of the World Service radio is missing from downstairs. Above, the stars are unchanged; I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 The darkness obscures many of the small changes that are doubtless there, and would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylight.の、would be clamouring their presence to me were it daylightがよくわかりません。 英文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? wereが動詞、itは?? Now, though, I am only conscious that the branches of the tree that cut off the left-hand part of the horizon are longer by some small amount,について、ここは木の枝がどうなっている状態なのでしょうか? I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth.ここの a small smile of acknowledgement~の意味するところは、オリオン座を見つけたのでちょっと微笑んだ、という感じなのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can make a start with the window. I have to start somewhere, after all. I tell myself that I will think about the exhibition, and the paintings, while I work; and this sounds so convincing to me that I almost start to believe it. (前回の終わりの部分です) Chapter Three I do get to the paintings eventually. In the afternoon, I buy what I need to mend the broken pane, and more besides; heavy bags of tools and materials for which I am bound to find a hundred uses. I buy house paint, too: emulsion for the walls, to get them back the way they were – the way they should be. I set out all I have bought on the sitting-room floor, and go to work to fix the window. All through the afternoon, in the easy rhythm of working with my hands, the past comes, floating up around me and threatening to engulf me; and I fight it back, trying to stay in the here and now, trying to gain control. Sometimes – most of the time – I manage it. I can’t understand why this is happening to me now; and why so strongly, so – insistently. Jamie and Anna. I tell myself that it must be inevitable that being back here again would stir up memories of them. It’s natural; this was their place, of course, as well as mine. It’s no surprise that they’re here in my thoughts so much. But it has been so long since I’ve thought of them, and these aren’t just memories – these are fragments of reality, snatched from the past and creeping up around me in the present. It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it. I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。Jamie and AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。 It’s something I’ve learnt to live without all my adult life, and now it’s here, it’s back, and I can’t even control it.という英文が最後の方に出てくるのですが、itが何を指しているのかよくわかりません。 it’s hereそれはここにあり、it’s backそれは戻り、I can’t even control it.私はそれを支配することさえできない。。。Jamie and Annaとの思い出みたいな感じでしょうか? I might have expected to think of Jamie and Anna once or twice while I was here – but not this, not this.のbut not this, not thisというのは、どういうことを言っているのでしょうか?これではない、これでは。。?? 質問の英文が長くなってしまいましたが、教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

and how finally it became so accepted that now there are younger artists who make their own fusions from it, and find in it new barriers to be broken down. Sometimes it makes me laugh, and sometimes it makes me angry. Right now, I find I hardly care: they all seem so very far away.(前回の終わりの部分です) I try to arrange them vaguely as they will be in the gallery. It’s to be a chronology, from my earliest work through to the present day. A retrospective. I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc. Gradually the sense of them starts to become apparent: the shifts of style and focus that have happened over the years. I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them. There must be something. It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London; and yet at the same time it’s so slight that I can’t get hold of it, can’t lay my hand on it. All I know for sure is that something is missing. Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved. Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are— I can’t understand. I stare at them, frowning, and the colours shift under the intensity of my gaze: change for a moment and are darker, as if a cloud has come over the sky and cut out all the light of the sun— ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。 I deal out the photographs like a fortune-teller arranging the cards, spreading them out on the boards, first to last in a wide arc.のfirst to last in a wide arcの個所がよくわかりません。first to lastは最初から終わりまで、という意味ですか? in a wide arcは幅広の弧を描いて、みたいな意味でしょうか?どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? I sit in their centre, staring, puzzling, trying to see what it is that feels so wrong – so incomplete – about them.のthat feelsのthatは何を指しているのでしょうか?the sense of photographsですか? It’s strong enough to have made it impossible for me to stay any longer in London;の英文の構造がわかりません。 最初のItはThere must be somethingのsomethingですか? to have made itのitはto stay any longer in Londonですか? それは(何かがあるに違いないということは)私がロンドンにこれ以上とどまっているのことを不可能にしたという事に十分強い(理由?)です?? つまりその何かを探しにイタリアに来ないわけにはいかなかった、と言う事でしょうか? Even that shred of understanding is new to me, has come only with this business of the exhibition, and the gathering together of the pictures that it’s involved.のit’s involvedのitも前述のsomethingなのでしょうか? Individually, the paintings are whole. Seen together, they are—のthey are—のところはどういう事が言えずにいる感じなのでしょうか? 個々に、絵は完全(全体?)です。全体として見られて、それらは・・・? I can’t understand.の個所が行替えになっているのですが、何を理解できないと言っているのかが掴めません。Individually, the paintings are wholeの個所のことでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 下記の英文の解釈についてお教えください

The Obama administration's support of big government spending made both Republicans and much of the American public anxious as the economy continued to suffer, despite the actions Obama had taken to improve it. この文章は、SVO構文で、動詞はmade、目的語はboth Republicans and much of the American public anxious as the economy continued to supperだと認識しています。 まず、この認識があっているか、お教えください。 上記の理解が正しければ、主語は、The Obama administration's support of big government spending になると思っていますが、spendingの用法がわかりません。なぜ、ing形になっているのか、どのように訳すのかわかりません。supportにかかる、of big government spendingの部分がわかっていないように思っています。 ご教示いただけると幸いです。

• 日本語に訳してください

日本語に訳してください。 Gender Criticism の説明文です。 They argue that our patriarchal culture is so imbued with assumption of heterosexual male superiority that we must continuously correct the imbalance by identifying and analyzing its components and negative influence. どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い

一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い 2008年度 120~150字                                                                                  条件・ 日本において出生率の低下は大した問題ではない。について述べなさい。                                                                         I don't agree with this statement. I have two reasons why I think so. First, these days, more and more people are getting older. If the birth rate should be getting lower and lower, the number of young people who can work actively would decrease. I think that this will influence the economy of Japan badly. Secondly, needless to say,if the birth rate is getting lower and lower, the population of Japan would also decrease. This means that the amount of pension which people pay will decrease. so, I think that the finance of Japan would be in danger in the future. In order to solve these problems, goverment should take some mesures quickly.Thus, I don't agree that the low birth rate is not really a problem for Japan. (130字)

• 英文の分からない箇所の解説をお願いいたします。

1)He added that discussions were still underway with members of Congress on whether to make a public release of the images, and if so how. この文章の最後の"and if so how"というのは、 何を意味するのでしょうか?? それより以前の意味は理解できるのですが、この最後だけ意味がわかりません。 2)Boiling topics and heated debates along with objective news reporting and interactive feedback are the attributes that put Aljazeera.net amongst the 50 most visited sites worldwide. 客観的ニュース報道と双方向性の意見に伴う熱い話題や討論は、世界中で最も訪問される50のサイトの中に入っているからなのです。 と訳しましたがうまく訳すことができていません。 attributeはここではどういう意味を持っているのでしょうか。

• わからない箇所について教えてください。

When I last left, twenty-six years ago, the place felt hollow: all that had once filled it was gone. I left sure that I could discard it. Then, a fortnight ago, there’s the phone call, and everything changes. Lena has died, a few weeks short of her eighty-fourth birthday. The house is empty now, and there are decisions to be made: whether to sell, to rent it out again, to have work done on it. I know at once that I have to come myself. Max wants me to do it all by phone –get a surveyor in, have the solicitors in Salerno handle everything; but I can’t. It’s my house, and I shall check it over in person. When I see he’s genuinely worried about how much time this will take, I reassure him that there’s nothing much to do. Just look things over, sign a few papers. Two or three days; 【that’s all.】 Besides, I say, it will be good for me to have a break. The past few months have been exhausting. A chance to escape from London and all the endless preparations will do me good. In the end, he relents. 【I think about it all 】on the plane to Naples, and on the train to Salerno, and on the bus all down the forty-mile stretch to the head of the valley: about how I’ve lied to Max. There’s no point my coming here, not really. He’s quite right that it could all be handled easily enough over the phone. It’s not even that I’m keen to see Altesa again: it’s hard to imagine that the hollowness has in any way ebbed over the past twenty-six years. 【It’s none of that. 】 Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** 【that’s all.】のthatは何を表しているのでしょうか? Just look things over, sign a few papers.ですか? 【I think about it all 】のitは何を指しているのでしょうか? how I’ve lied to Maxですか? 【It’s none of that. 】の意味がわかりません。 長くなってしまってすみません。 お願いいたします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

Chapter Four In bare feet I light some of the candles I have placed around the room, and the cheerful light they cast drives away some of the shadows that have been tugging at me. I don’t feel ready to sleep yet. I want to think of something to push the uneasy memory of these fragments away, to give me something else to concentrate on as I lie in bed. Some part of me is aware that the old childhood fear could so easily come back to life now; the fear that I will wake, in a moment, to find myself old and dying, my life already spent. I can’t face that again. So I take one of the candles and wander the house with it, eventually finding my way upstairs. Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night. ****************************** (前回質問させていただいたところで三章は終わりました。) 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 最後の Once I am in my old bedroom, it seems the most obvious thing in the world to open the window there, and to sit on the sill, looking up the valley at night.の意味が上手く掴めません。 一旦、私が古びた寝室にいるならば、夜に谷を見あげながらそこで窓を開け、敷居に座ることはこの世の中で最もあきらかなことに思われる? これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。