• ベストアンサー

どうしても訳せない英文があります

次の英文を訳そうとしているのですが、どうしても訳せません。 Federally supported research at an institution is suspended only "when there are systemic problems and when not doing so poses an immediate threat to the potential well-being of the research subject,"according to Dr.Greg. なお、(注)が書いてあり、 Federally supported research は「米国連邦政府が資金援助する研究」subjectは「臨床研究に参加する被験者」となっています。残りの単語についてですが、私が考えたところinstitutionはここでは「研究所」、suspendは「~を中止する」、systemicは「全身の」、well-beingは「幸福」のような意味になると思います。(自信はありません) 訳してみたところ、最初の部分は「研究所における米国連邦政府が資金援助する研究は~の時にだけ中止されるのです」というふうになりました。 「~の時に」のwhenが次に2つきていて、1つ目は「全身的な問題がある時」です。ここでわからないのが2つ目のwhenの訳し方です。doing so poses an immediate threatのところが文法的に解釈できません。 どなたか、おわかりになられる方がおられましたら、 どうしてもわからないので教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • kanipon
  • ベストアンサー率58% (7/12)
回答No.1

not doing so=S poses=V an immediate threat =O でいいのではないでしょうか。 pose a threat to で~に脅威を及ぼすという意味だそうです。 systemic problem は組織上の問題、つまりan institutionに問題があるとき。 not doing soはnot suspending so、つまり資金援助を中止しないこと。 well-beingは「健康」という訳もありました。 つまり、資金援助を中止しないこと(=研究を続けること)が、被験者の健康を脅かす時、と大筋でこんなかんじだと思います。 全く自信はありません^^;。お役にたてなくてすみません。

strawberry-cream
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど! not doing soを主語と考ええれば 意味が通じますね。 あと、やっぱりposesが動詞だということを見抜けないとちょっと厳しいですね・・ わかりやすい説明をしていただき、よくわかりました。またわからないことがあったら質問したいと思います。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

文法的には既にNo1の方が解説してくれていますが、 ある研究機関での臨床試験が米国政府の資金援助で行われる場合には、システム上の問題がある場合か、(中断しないと)すぐにも被験者の健康に害を及ぼす可能性が高い場合にのみ中断されるのだ、とグレッグ医師は語る。 とでも訳せばよろしいのでは。 systemic problem が具体的に何を指すかは今ひとつはっきりしませんね。

strawberry-cream
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 全体の訳を考えていただき、よくわかりました! systemic problemはたしかに訳出しにくいですね。 どうもありがとうございました。

• kanipon
  • ベストアンサー率58% (7/12)
回答No.2

>No1の補足です。 組織上の問題、はan institutionの問題とはかぎりませんかもしれませんね^^;米国連邦政府の問題かもしれません。

関連するQ&A

• 英語が堪能な方

a man like my character could get committed to an institution specifically for being a gay in 1964, is a pretty terrifying concept when you think about it. 自然な訳をお願いできますか?

• 英文を助けてください。

友達のお母様にクリスマスカードを送りたいのですが助けてください。 日本語が話せるアメリカ人です。 書いた文は合っていますでしょうか?抜けているところは厚かましいですがお願いします。 ご無沙汰していますがお元気ですか?(最後に会ったのは7月です) It has been some time since I last met you, and I trust that all is going well with you. 私と母は元気にしています。My mom and I are doing fine. 私の仕事はとても忙しいです。Also I’m very busy. ●私は9月にあなたがバスルームで転倒したとAに聞いて以来ずっとあなたのことを心配していました。 何度もあなたの夢を見ました。I had a dream about you many times. 私があなたの家に滞在した時はお世話になりありがとうございました。 Thank you for your kindness when I was in your home. ●私はいつもあなたと話したことは本当に楽しかったと思い出します。 ●そして私はあなたが作ってくださった朝食を懐かしく思い出します。   ●またいつかお会いできるのを楽しみにしています。 良いお年をお迎えください。I hope next year will be an even better year for you. クリスマスカードですが彼女は熱心な仏教徒ですのでメリークリスマスとは書きません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文解釈について質問があります

Barely a month goes by without some new energy or mineral deal being struck between China and an African nation. 中国とアフリカを結び付けている新資源とミネラルの契約無しで、わずかひと月過ぎる。 (どうも全体の大意を掴めない・・・。Barely a month と a barely monthは違いますよね。) Communist China's friendly relations with Africa go back decades, to when Beijing backed newly independent states as well as liberation moements. The continent's backing was vital in getting mainland China into the United Nations in 1971. 中国とアフリカの緊密な関係は何十年にも渡る。(go back decadesがちょっと・・・) この後が訳せません。to whenというとwhen自体の品詞は何になるのでしょうか。 似たような文章で、 A lot of it comes down to where Chinese firms have their comparative advantage and these are fast-growing markets. 上記の文がありますが、この場合のwhereの働きと品詞などもちょっと訳しきれないというか・・・。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文意訳をおねがいします・・・急いでいます!

A problem? Well, no, as long as people understand this. Use these shortcuts whenever you like, as long as you’re aware of the fact that you’re making a demand on the reader. When sending an e-mail to your boss though, you probably want to avoid writing “UR2CUTE2BTRU.” Technology presents some other language problems as well ――――― especially to the old-timers among us ―――― when it comes to etiquette. For example, in a chat room, THIS IS YELLING. So, next time you press the caps lock button on the keyboard, just stop and think how the reader of your message might feel about being yelled at. Also, you might want to take note that sentences without any punctuation such as, “I saw your mail yesterday it was good but I disagreed with some of it I checked the site it wasn’t there,” might not be too well-received by the reader. In other words, just because punctuation sometimes seems nonexistent on the Internet doesn’t mean that it’s out-of-date and you should never use it.

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

So that's the gist of it. That's also the reason why the “firing” happened right as Weiland left on tour for this run. So when Slash said he “heard Weiland was fired”, that threat had been made if he went through with this tour. The band put the ball in Scott's court and he said whatever I'm doing it. I don't think Scott was fired when Slash said he was, but the threat had definitely been made, and Scott decided to call the Deleo's bluff. Well, now he's fired and it's up to their lawyers to sort through the mess.

• 英文の添削、採点お願いします

問題は英検準1級 2013年度第2回のものです。14点満点中何点かだけでも良いので教えて下さい。模範回答のURLを貼っておきます。 https://www.eiken.or.jp/eiken/exam/grade_p1/pdf/201302/p1kyu.pdf 問題: Dear Daisuke, I hope you’re well. I just read an article about Japanese society. It said that many Japanese people continue working even after they reach retirement age. What do you think is the reason for this? The article also said that at some schools, children have to attend on Saturdays as well as on weekdays. Do you think this is a good idea? When I visited Tokyo last year, I was surprised to see people riding their bicycles on sidewalks. Do you think people should be banned from doing this? Write back soon. Veronica 私の書いた内容 Dear Veronica, Hi, I'm doing well. Thanks! I think the reason is that many people have spent most of their life for companies and businesses. When those people become free, they must feel there are less desire than expected. Next, in my opinion children should have more rest. On weekdays their classes are quite long, moreover some of them also go to clam school. About the third question I don't think so. A part of pedestrians regard that bicycles easily cause accident, however people riding on them may use carefully not to hurt anyone. Take care, Daisuke

• 意味がつかめません。

お世話になります。下記(2)の文章の subject と counterparts の意味がつかめず文意の把握に困っています。解説をお願いします。 (1)の subject to は ~になりやすい という意味だと思いますが2番目がよくわかりません。またcounterparts が何を指しているのかよく理解できません。 (1)There was and still is a widely held belief that airplane travellers are subject to greater respiratory infection. (2)It was known well before the mid-1980s, when the NRC took up the issue for the first time, that commercial air travel subjected passengers and crew to environmental conditions without counterparts in other built environment. 注)NRC=アメリカ学術研究会    よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳

英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで お願いできますでしょうか? 2つの段落になりますが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Life is a journey, a path through the stars, and through fate. There are times when that path is dark lonely and silent and other times when it is suffused with love, well being. Compared to this love, all other love will seem humdrum and mundane. Soul Mate love is a seductive world of heightened emotions, and all consuming desire. It is the most intense relationship that you will ever experience on earth. An attraction that will seem to touch other levels. When you meet he will seem familiar to you even though you will never have met before, you’ll feel that you ought to know him. As if he is someone from the recesses of your subconscious memory, just out of reach. A memory that won't surface. Intense, as the attraction is. There are two sides to these feelings, there is the surging hopes that stir you, and make life wonderful, when you get some encouragement from him and there is also the dark side the days of uncertainty that all love brings but which are felt more intently too with a Soul Bond.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Not only was it problematic finding qualified British officers to command the companies and battalions of the Indian Army, there was also a shortage of trained Indians to be granted a Viceroy's Commission. Viceroy Commissioned Officers occupied a unique position between the junior British officers and the senior non-commissioned officers. During its year in France, the VCO's of the Meerut had also suffered heavy casualties. Prior to the war, when most operations of the Indian Army were along the North-West Frontier, there had never been a need to quickly produce VCOs. Consequently, those who were promoted to the rank of VCO was typically a long service soldier of many years of experience. With the heavy casualties of France, the system had not yet caught up to the realities of the new type of war they were fighting. Confronted with a type of war they had never expected to be a part of, morale among the Indian troops plummeted. As an added insult, when the Meerut and Lahore Divisions were withdrawn from France, they ceased receiving combat pay, even though they were being shipped Egypt, under threat from Ottoman force, and then to Mesopotamia, to actively take part in an offensive.

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

Until the 1930s the dominant view of the battle in English-language writing was that the battle was a hard-fought victory against a brave, experienced and well-led opponent. Winston Churchill had objected to the way the battle was being fought in August 1916, Lloyd George when Prime Minister criticised attrition warfare frequently and condemned the battle in his post-war memoirs. In the 1930s a new orthodoxy of "mud, blood and futility" emerged and gained more emphasis in the 1960s when the 50th anniversaries of the Great War battles were commemorated.[59]Until 1916, transport arrangements for the BEF were based on an assumption that the war of movement would soon resume and make it pointless to build infrastructure, since it would be left behind. The British relied on motor transport from railheads which was insufficient where large masses of men and guns were concentrated.