• ベストアンサー

UNICORN英語II  Lesson7  「イースター島の教訓」についての英文の質問(3)

Many archaeologists believe the first people to arrive on the island, in the fifth century, were Polynesians. The original Polynesians came from Southeast Asia. When they arrived on Easter Island, they discovered a harsh environment. There was not much fresh water, the temperature was quite high, and the land was not good for growing their main food, taro and yams. They found that they could only grow sweet potatoes and raise chickens for food. The only good point of this simple diet was that growing sweet potatoes and raising chickens was rather easy, which left a lot of time for other activities. Great ceremonies and rituals developed among the various clans on the island. For such a small island with few resources, one of the most complex societies in the world was created. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『多くの考古学者は50世紀に島に到着した最初の人々はポリネシア人であったと信じている。最初のポリネシア人は東南アジアから来た。 彼ら(最初のポリネシア人)はイースター島に到着したとき、厳しい環境に気がついた。真水はあまりなく気温はとても高くてその土地は彼らの主食であるタロイモやヤムイモを栽培するのに適していなかった。彼らはサツマイモを栽培したり鶏を飼育することだけできるとわかった。この粗食の唯一の長所はサツマイモの栽培や鶏の飼育がかなり簡単であるということで、それは他の他の活動に多くの時間を残した。大きな式典や儀式が島の様々な氏族の間で発達しました。そのような小さな島のわりにはほとんど資源がなく、世界で最も複雑な社会の一つがつくられた。』 この訳で誤訳があれば指摘し、正しい訳を教えてください。 ご迷惑だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.2

こんにちは。 誤訳はほとんどありません。とってもうまく訳せていると思いますよー。 2箇所だけ気づいたところを指摘させてくださいね。 The only good point of this simple diet was that growing sweet potatoes and raising chickens was rather easy, which left a lot of time for other activities. ここのwhich 以下は、kamenoko01さまの訳で合ってるのですが、日本語がわかりにくいので、多少意訳してしまっても良いと思います。 「そのせいで、他の活動にあてる時間が余りました(ありました)」とかどうでしょうか? For such a small island with few resources, one of the most complex societies in the world was created. ここのforですが、resourcesまでかかっていると考えた方が良いと思います。 「そのような資源がほとんど持たない小さな島のわりに/にしては」と訳してみました。 他は全く問題ないと思います。

kamenoko01
質問者

お礼

そうですね。意訳したほうが分かりやすいです。 細かい回答どうもありがとうございまいた。 akijakeさんのおかげで本当に助かりました。 (^o^).

その他の回答 (1)

• EXILEmoe
  • ベストアンサー率33% (1/3)
回答No.1

多くの考古学者は50世紀に島に到着した最初の人々は・・・・ 一瞬見ただけですが、最初の文の50世紀は打ち間違えですね。 5世紀ですね。その他は、睡眠不足のため他の方にお任せします(笑)

kamenoko01
質問者

お礼

睡眠不足の中わざわざ回答していただいてありがとうございます。 ゆっくり体を休めてくださいね。 (^_^) 睡眠不足はいろいろと体に支障がでてきますから。

関連するQ&A

• UNICORN英語II  Lesson7  「イースター島の教訓」についての英文の質問

Easter Island is one of the most remote, inhabited places on earth. Only 22 kilometers long and 11 kilometers wide, it lies in the Pacific Ocean, 3,200 kilometers from South America and 2,000 kilometers from the nearest inhabited island. The first Europeans arrived on Easter Sunday 1722. They were amazed to find over 600 huge stone statues, many over six meters high, here and there across the island. The islanders told them they did not know who had built the huge statues. Easter Island therefore became famous as a 'mystery' island and several theories were introduced to explain its history. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『イースター島は地球上で最も遠く離れた人が住んでいる場所の一つだ。長さはたったの22kmで幅11km、南アメリカから3200km、最も近い人が住んでいる島から2000kmで太平洋に位置している。 最初のヨーロッパ人は1722年のイースターサンデーにやって来た。(They were.....the island. までの訳し方が分からないので教えてください。お願いします。)島民達は最初のヨーロッパ人に誰が巨大な像を建てたのかわからないと告げた。従って、イースター島は謎の島として有名になり7つの説がイースター島の歴史を説明するために紹介された。』 この訳で誤訳があれば訂正し、正しい訳を教えてください。 ご迷惑だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• UNICORN英語II  Lesson7  「イースター島の教訓」についての英文の質問(2)

One famous archaeologist, Thor Heyerdahl of Norway, believed that the first people to live on the island were from South America. They brought the tradition of sculpture and stone work similar to the great Incas. Later other people arrived from the west, which started a war that in time destroyed the complex society on the island. His theory, written about 1950, seems possible, but it has never been generally accepted by other archaeologists. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『1人の有名な考古学者であるノルウェーのトール・ヘイエルダールは島に住んでいた最初の人々は南アメリカの出身であったと信じている。彼らは偉大なインカ族に似た彫刻と石細工の伝統を持ち込んだ。1950年頃に書かれた彼の説は可能なように思われたが、それは一般に他の考古学者に受け入れられたことは一度もなかった。』 この訳で誤訳があれば指摘し、正しい訳を教えてください。 ご迷惑だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• UNICORN 英語II Lesson7 (イースター島についての英文の訳での質問)

The loss of trees on the island brought about big changes in the everyday life of the islanders. They didn't have trees available for building houses. People began to live in caves and simple reed houses. Canoes could no longer be built and only reed boats unsuitable for long trips could be made. Fishing was more difficult because nets had been made from mulberry trees, which had also been used for making cloth. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『島での木不足は島民の日常生活に大きな変化を引き起こした。家を作るのに利用できる木はなかった。人々は洞窟や質素なアシの家に住み始めた。 カヌーはもはや作れず長旅に適さないアシの船しか作れなかった。網は桑の木から作られて、それもまた布作りに使われていたので、魚釣りはもっと難しくなった。』 誤訳があれば指摘し正しい訳を教えてください。面倒だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• UNICORN 英語II Lesson7 (イースター島についての英文の訳での質問) (2)

Cutting down the trees also badly affected the soil. Without the trees, the good soil washed away during heavy rains. This made it more difficult to grow food. With less food available, it became impossible to support 7,000 people and the population fell. After 1600, the once complex society on Easter Island became more and more primitive. Without canoes, the islanders were trapped in their remote home because of the environmental damage they had caused. Wars started between the clans over the remaining food. Eventually people began to eat each other この英文を次のように訳しました。 『木を切り倒すことはまた土にもひどく影響した。木がないと激しい雨で良い土は押し流された。このことは食物を栽培するのをさらに困難にした。より食物が得られなくなると7000人の人々を養うのが不可能になって人口は減少した。 1600年後、イースター島でのかつての複雑な社会はますます原始的になった。カヌーがないと島民は彼らがもたらした環境損害のためにへんぴな郷里に閉じ込められた。 戦争は残っている食物をめぐって氏族の間で始まった。ついに人々はお互いに食べ始めた。』 誤訳があれば指摘し正しい訳を教えてください。面倒だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• UNICORN英語II Lesson6 ニュージーランドについての英文の質問 (5)

August 20 My final day arrived. My flight back to Japan was scheduled to leave early in the morning. Paul and Jane drove me to the airport. I thought I might never see Christchurch again. I took a final look around to catch the moment in my mind forever. Everything looked so fresh and beautiful. Then I thought I must return to Christchurch for sure someday, After arriving at the airport and checking in, I realized there was plenty of time before I had to board the plane. First, I went to a shop to buy a few more souvenirs for my family and friends. I bought a few cushions made of wool and some T-shirts. Then we had our picture taken together for the last time. When it was time to say good-bye, we hugged and promised we would write to each other. Tears were running down my cheeks. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『8月20日  私の最終日が来た。私達の乗る日本へ戻る便は早朝出発する予定だ。ポールとジェーンは私を空港まで車で送ってくれた。  私は永遠に私の心に残しておくために最後にあたりを見回した。全てのものがとても新鮮で美しかった。その時私はいつかきっとクライストチャーチへ戻らなければならないと思った。  空港に着いてチェックインをした後、私は飛行機に乗る必要がある前にたくさんの時間があることに気がついた。最後に私は家族や友達にもう少し土産を買うために店へ行った。私は2,3個のウール製のクッションといくつかTシャツを買った。それから私達は最後に一緒に写真をとってもらった。  さよならを言う時であったとき私達は抱きしめて互いに手紙を書く約束をした。涙が私のほおの下を流れた。』 この訳で誤訳があれば訂正し正しい訳を教えてください。迷惑だと思いますが、お願いします。

• UNICORN英語II  Lesson7  「イースター島の教訓」についての英文について

Most ceremonies, such as those to worship the past leaders of the clans, took place at one of the 300 ahu - large stone platforms built near the coast. この英文のthoseが何を指しているのかわからないので上手く訳すことができません。 この英文の訳し方を教えてください。また、「海岸近くに造られた大きな石の祭壇」というように、ダッシュ以下は訳すことができました。 P.S この前はうっかりしていたのかマナー違反の対象になってしまいました。親切に回答していただいた方には本当に申し分けありませんでした。

• UNICORN英語II Lesson6 ニュージーランドについての英文の質問(4)

Then we went to Paul's mother's house to pick her up. She wanted to visit a hot spring in Hanmer Springs. There were many kinds of baths. I was surprised to find that some were like swimming pools. Others, however, were quite similar to those in Japan. There were seven pools outside and big locker rooms inside. The water in the pools was not nearly as hot as it is in Japan. On the way home we stopped at a nice park, where we ate the sandwiches we had made early this morning. The view of the mountains and the river was fantastic. Finally arriving home in the evening, I felt it had been a very long, but enjoyable day. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『それから私達は彼女を車に乗せてポールの母の家まで行った。彼女はハンマー・スプリングズの温泉を訪れたがっていた。私はスイミングプールのような風呂を見つけて驚いた。けれども日本の風呂とかなり似ているものもあった。大きな更衣室の中や外に七つのプールがあった。プールの水は日本より全く熱くなかった。  家に帰る途中で私達は素敵な公園に止まってそこで今朝早く作ったサンドイッチを食べた。山や川の景色は素晴しかった。その夜やっと家に着いた時とても長かったが楽しい一日だったと思った。』 この訳で誤訳があれば指摘し、正しい訳を教えてください。ご迷惑だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• UNICORN英語IILesson6 ニュージーランドについての英文の質問(1)

August 13 New Zealand is famous for its dairy and sheep farms. Yesterday I signed up to take a tour of a sheep farm. They show us many things around the farm, including how they shear the sheep. Paul gave me a ride to the cathedral, where the tour bus was supposed to pick us up. Paul is a quiet man, but very nice. The tour bus departed at 9:00. As we left the town, we were surrounded by wide, green fields. I could see hundreds of sheep to the left and to the right. We pulled up at one of the farms and over homemade cookies and tea, we listened to the owner of the farm explain about the farm. He told us about the sheep dogs, sheep shearing, and the nature of the sheep - how timid they are. この英文を次のように訳しました。 『8月13日 ニュージーランドはその日記と羊農場で有名だ。昨日私は羊の農場見学を申し込んだ。(They show...the sheep.の訳し方が分からないので教えてください。)ポールは大聖堂まで私を車に乗せてくれて、そこで観光バスが私達を乗せることになっていた。ポールは静かな男性だが、とても素敵だ。その観光バスは9時に出発した。私たちは町を出ると広い緑の野原に取り囲まれていた。私は左や右に何百もの羊を見ることができた。私達は農場の一つに車を止め、手作りのクッキーや紅茶を食べながら農場の所有者が農場について説明してくれるのを聞いた。彼は私達に牧羊犬や羊の毛刈りのこと、羊の性質、彼らはどれほど臆病か、について教えてくれた。』 この訳で誤訳があればなぜ間違いなのか指摘し正しい訳を教えてください。ご迷惑だと思いますがよろしくお願いします。

• 英文についての質問です。

What was the 3/5 compromise?という質問に対しての回答を探しました。 The southern states wanted their slaves to be counted. Their purpose was simply to maximize their influence in the new government. Virginia had 500,00022 free people and 300,000 slaves. South Carolina had 140,000 free people and just over 100,000 slaves. The other southern states had 1/3 or more of their total population as slaves. The northern states, by contrast, were critical of slavery and had fewer slaves in their population. Pennsylvania had 430,000 free people, but less than 4,000 slaves. Massachusetts was the second largest state with 475,000 people, but had no slaves. These northern states objected that the southern states treated slaves as property, to citizens, so it was inappropriate to count them at all for purposes of representation. * In the end they compromised on including 3⁄5 of a state’s slaves in determining their population for determining how many Representatives they would get in the House. つまり最後の文章の、「国の奴隷の3/5を含めた住民数で、人口を決定することに妥協した。これがThe 3⁄5 Compromiseだ。」ということでいいでしょうか?

• 英文に関しての質問です

8. Did James Madison propose separation between Congress and President? という質問があります。 それに該当する部分を探しました。 But they did not want a king – with the likely exception of Alexander Hamilton – so Madison proposed a president instead. They avoided uniting powers in the same body of men by creating three distinct branches of government. The judiciary power was made independent of the others by giving federal judges a lifetime appointment and by prohibiting Congress from reducing their pay. Although they are nominated by the President, and have to be approved by the Senate, as soon as a person enters the federal judiciary, they are free from direct political influence (but they can be impeached and removed from office for misbehavior). * Separating the presidency from the legislature was a little more complicated. The Virginia Plan proposed that the president be chosen by the legislature, but nothing more than that. It was not clear the executive would be separate from the legislature. 英文が長くて申し訳ないです。(*は私がわかりやすくするために勝手に印をつけました。文章は特に省略などしていないです) *以降の文章にSeparating the presidency from the legislature とありますが、これは上の質問を同じことでしょうか?(presidentとcongress) ということは答えはYesでいいでしょう?