• ベストアンサー

和訳の問題です。

1.Competition, we have learned, is neither good nor evil in itself; it is a force which to be studied and may be compared to a stream whose strength and direction have to be observed, that banks may be raised up within which it may do its work harmlessly and beneficially. 一応自分で訳してみたのですが、まったく意味不明の訳になってしまいました。どなたかこの英文の正しい訳を教えてください。あと三行めの「that」って「it is a force that」ってつながるんでしょうか。よろしくお願いします。

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • obelix
  • ベストアンサー率40% (27/66)
回答No.1

直訳的回答です; 「競争は、我々が見てきたとおり、それ自体には善悪はない。それ(競争)はよく調べられるべき力であり、そしてその力や方向性を観察しなくてはならない川の流れに例えることができよう。というのも、(その流れの)土手を高くしてやることによって、その中であたりさわりなくかつ有効的にその仕事をこなせるようになるからだ。」 >あと三行めの「that」って「it is a force that」ってつながるんでしょうか。 つながりません。it is a ...の文章は主語を略さずに書くと 【it is a force which ...】 and 【IT may be compared to a stream ... that banks may be raised up ...】 というように二つの文章に分解されるからです。it may be compared ...以下を区切って別の文章として読んでみると、意味がとりやすくなると思います;後半の文章の大意は「競争は川の流れに例えることができる。何故ならば、外部からの影響を、土手を高くすることによってたってやれば、より純粋な結果が得られるからである」ぐらいのところでしょう。 三行めの「that」は理由や原因を表す接続詞じゃないでしょうか。私は文法を知らないのでよく分かりませんが。

sapporonibann
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。よくわかりました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (3)

noname#27172
noname#27172
回答No.4

訂正です。 競争は 我々が学んだように それ自体が 善いのでもなく、悪いのでもない。それは 自然の作用であり、つぶさに観察しなければならない。言うなれば 川の流れに喩えられる。しかし その川の流れの強さとか方向性というのは 土手の水位が上がっても その作用が 人に害を及ぼさず、人の為になる程度の範囲内に押さえるべきである。

sapporonibann
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。やっぱりむずかしいとおもいますよね。ちなみにこの英文は知人からきかれたものです。(もちろんその人には自分で訳したとはいいませんので、、、、。)

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
noname#27172
noname#27172
回答No.3

分かりやすく意訳すると こうなります。 競争は 我々が学んだように それ自体が 善いのでもなく、悪いのでもない。それは 自然の作用や方向性であり、つぶさに観察しなければならない。言うなれば 川の流れに喩えられる。しかし その川の流れの強さというのが 土手の水位が上がっても その作用が 人に害を及ぼさず、人の為になる程度の許容範囲内だということに 気づく必要がある。 しかし、この英文は どこから持ってきたんですが?少し難しいですね。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.2

土手を強さと方向の調整に使うという解釈もできるかと思います。理念のない過当競争にならないようにという話ではないでしょうか。 that banks の that は where または whose のつもりで使っているのだと思います。 【大意】 競争自体は良いことでも悪いことでもありません。競争とは、解析すべき力であって、強さと方向を観測する必要がある (土手でコントロールすれば、その作用を無害で有益なものにできる) 川の流れにたとえられます。

sapporonibann
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願い致します。

The other point which has to be noted with regard to this criterion is as follows. I again quote from " Animal Intelligence :"— " Of course to the sceptic this criterion may appear un satisfactory, since it depends, not on direct knowledge, but on inference. Here, however, it seems enough to point out, as already observed, that it is the best criterion available ; and, further, that scepticism of this kind is logically bound to deny evidence of mind, not only in the case of the lower animals, but also in that of the higher, and even in that of men other than the sceptic himself. For all objections which could apply to the use of this criterion of mind in the animal kingdom, would apply with equal force to the evidence of any mind other than that of the individual objector. This is obvious, because, as I have already observed, the only evi dence we can have of objective mind is that which is furnished by objective activities ; and, as the subjective mind can never become assimilated with the objective so as to learn by direct feeling the mental processes which there accompany the objective activities, it is clearly impossible to satisfy any one who may choose to doubt the validity of inference, that in any case, other than his own, mental processes ever do accompany objective activities.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

英文を和訳していただけるかた のみでお願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の後半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 You will attain a marriage partnership, that will be permanent, solid, and secure. A marriage that will be worth waiting for and enduring some emotional or physical hardship for. This obstacle is shown by the planet Saturn who is retrograde and just on the border of the horoscope area where he could have a mild influence, so the obstacle is not as deep and difficult as you may fear. It may just be that the courtship is very slow to move forwards.

• 和訳お願い致します。

It is evident that, in entering upon this wider field, I shall frequently have to quit the narrower limits of direct obser vation within which my former work was confined ; and it is chiefly because I think it desirable clearly to distinguish between the objects of Comparative Psychology as a science, and any inferences or doctrines which may be connected with its study, that I have made so complete a-partition of the facts of animal intelligence from the theories which I believe these facts to justify. So much, then, for the reasons which have led to the form of these essays, and the relations which I intend the one to bear to the other. I may now say a few words to indicate the structure and scope of the present essay. Every discussion must rest on some basis of assumption ; every thesis must have some hypothesis. The hypothesis v which I shall take is that of the truth of the general theory of Evolution : I shall assume the truth of this theory so far as I feel that all competent persona of the present day will be prepared to allow me. I must therefore first define what degree of latitude I suppose to be thus conceded.

• 和訳お願いします

1. although the transcripts that it exports are unknown. 2. suggesting that competition with the bulk mRNA export pathway for specific class of mRNA may be one mechanism by which cells can respond efficiently to extracellular stimuli.

• 英文の和訳をお願いしたいのですが・・・

Lattice type and systematic absences In indexing the powder patterns it has been assumed that all the possible reflections are observed, that is, scattering from each of the different lattice planes is sufficiently intense to contribute to the diffraction profile. This is normally so for a primitive lattice, but for body centred and face centred lattices restrictions occur on the values that h, k and I may take if the reflections are to have any intensity. This results in certain reflections not being observed in the powder diffraction pattern and these are known as systematic absences. The origin of these absences can be illustrated with regard to Fig.2.3. という文章です。できれば翻訳サイト丸々ってのは控えてほしいです。

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 1文節の前半となりますので、内容が分断していると思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The house you and your soul mate will live in together will be of an old or traditional sort. It will have a lot of woodwork. And you will first see it when it is empty, or vacant with a lonely bare or neglected look that wants you to love it. It will be a good house, that will seem to draw you both. There will be something about reminiscent of a past life together, a former era. But only vaguely so, as if it stirs some subconscious memory deep within you. There will be a tree close to the house. High walls and it is a little secluded. It will seem familiar to you, for all it is not so.. You and your soul mate will help each other struggle to achieve goals in and rise in this house; which is practical and serious It will seem to you that your soul mate is Career orientated and hard working.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

英文の和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 1段落の前半部分になります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Now let’s see what Jupiter has to offer. Jupiter was in Leo at your birth. It means you will have a large lavish wedding. You will marry a man of class who is much admired by others and has a prestigious position. A marriage that may be considered above you. So that you gain in status by it. He will also have a strong constitution. He has a need to appreciated to be seen to be of good reputation and well thought of. This sign usually makes a person is well educated, and well read. He may have the same name as a Royal Priest or ruling religious person.

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。 Displacement is one means by which the dream does this. In the first place, it is the effect of feeling which is displaced, so that what appears to be most important and full of emotion in the dream may be really of least significance, whereas an apparently trifling matter may be pregnant with meaning. The emphasis of the dream is thus displaced and so eludes the censor.

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

Methylation is a chemical process in which a methyl(CH3)group is added to an atom or molecule. The resulting compound does not usually dissolve in water and is more easily absorbed into organisms such as plankton. Methylmercury is very dangerous because it enters the food chain as soon as it is absorbed into plankton. Next, it ends up in a fish that eats the contaminated plankton. After the contaminated fish is eaten by another fish, the methylmercury stays in the surviving fish's flesh, and the cycle may be repeated over and over. Once the mercury reaches the top of the food chain, for example in a 300-kilogram tuna, it will stay there for the rest of the fish's life. As a result, people are very worried about the effect of eating fish that are high on the food chain or very old. These fish may have very high accumulations of mercury, and thus may be dangerous to eat. Fish that are lower on the food chain, or younger, are seen as safer. As the article makes clear, an important first step is to discover the exact nature of the ocean's mercury methylation process. After the process is understood, it may be possible to control it. Until we can reduce the amount of mercury that accumulates in the ocean, it would be advisable to avoid fish that may be high on mercury, wouldn't it?

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします! Market value Market value can only be calculated for publicly-traded companies,but it is very easy to measure. Simply take today's share value,as listed on the stock market,and multiply it by the number of shares outstanding. The result is a measure of what the company's investors believe the company is worth. A problem with market value is that it reflects not just facts and analysis of the company's value,but also investors' emotions. When overall share prices are falling,investors tend to panic and sell their shares as well,forcing down a company's share price for reasons that have nothing to do with the company. Share prices are often artificially increased for similar reasons. So the advantages of market value are that it is easy to calculate and usually provides a good,objective measure of what the company's shareholders think it is worth. Disadvantages are that it may only be calculated for publicly-held companies,and that companies' shares may be undervalued or overvalued for emotional reasons. よろしく お願いします。

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 先日、車×車の事故をしました。保険会社からの連絡で、治療費や休業補償、慰謝料が支払われることがわかりました。しかし、自賠責保険からの休業補償は1日ごとに金額が下がっていくようです。夏休みにはまる1日働く予定なので、6100円の補償よりも多くもらえるため、休業補償はもらえなくなるのか疑問です。また、休業補償は会社を休んだ日×日数分がもらえるのでしょうか?詳しい方に教えていただきたいです。
  • 車の事故に遭った際には保険会社から治療費や休業補償、慰謝料などが支払われることがあります。自賠責保険からの休業補償は1日ごとに金額が下がっていくことが一般的です。夏休みにはまる1日働く予定なので、補償よりも多くの給料をもらうことになります。その場合、休業補償はもらえなくなる可能性があります。また、休業補償は会社を休んだ日×日数分がもらえる仕組みです。詳しい内容について知りたい方は教えていただきたいです。
  • 車の事故が起きた場合、保険会社からは治療費や休業補償などの補償が受けられることがあります。自賠責保険からの休業補償は1日ごとに金額が減っていくことが一般的です。夏休みにはまる1日働く予定なので、補償よりも多くの給料をもらうことになりますが、その場合、休業補償はもらえなくなるかもしれません。また、休業補償は会社を休んだ日×日数分がもらえる仕組みです。詳しい内容が知りたい方は教えていただきたいです。
回答を見る