• ベストアンサー

at one point or anotherの意味

Everyone does at one point or another, mabey without even realizing it. We just have a tough anti-spam policy, and we gotta enforce it. 「at one point or another」の意味が分かりません。 doesはスパム行為をすることをさしていると思います。 他の箇所は理解できます。慣用表現でしょうか?

noname#18328
noname#18328
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

one と another は相関的に用いられます。 有名な A is one thing, and B is another. 「A と B は別ものだ」にしてもそうですし, one after another「次から次へ」というのもあります。  one というのは任意の一つを指します。そして,その一つを除いた残りのもののうち,さらに任意の一つを another というのです。a second ~(「2番目の」という second に定冠詞をつけずに,不定冠詞をつけたもの)ともいいます。 for one reason or another と言えば,「何でもいいある理由か,あるいはそれとは別の何かの理由で」,すなわち,「何らかの理由で」という意味になります。 at one point or another は「時間上の一点」という意味の point に時間や場所の一点を表す「~に」という意味の前置詞 at がつき,それを one or another ではさんで,「いつでもいいあるときに,またはそれ以外の(→以降の)あるときに」で,「いつかは,いずれは」のような意味になります。

noname#18328
質問者

お礼

ご丁寧なご説明ありがとうございました。 大変参考になりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• TK01
  • ベストアンサー率43% (43/100)
回答No.1

「遅かれ早かれ」、とか「いずれは」という意味だろうと思います。one ~ or another という言い方はよく聞きますので、慣用句かもしれません。

noname#18328
質問者

お礼

大変参考になりました。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• at one time or anotherの訳語

one American psychologist estimates that the average person tells as many as 200 lies a day, including "little white lies" and excuses such as: "I couldn't finish my homework because the electricity went off in our house." Almost everyone tells a lie at one time or another without feeling that he or she has done something terribly wrong. May people lie without hesitation because they feel that there is good reason for it. のat one time or anotherの訳語ですが、「一度ならず」でいいのでしょうか?ジーニアスには「過去の何かの折に」と書いてあり、「一度ならず」という訳語は他にもいろいろ調べましたが載っておりません。(確かに、前者の訳語のほうがしっくりくるような気がしますが。)宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の意味がよくわかりません。

下記の文の意味を教えてください。It seeks 以下がよくわかりません。 "It does not accomplish what it sets out to do. It seeks to get revenge, but it is inefficient, it does not, in fact, deter," she said. --補足-- 【前後の文】 Another argument against the death penalty is that it is ineffective, says Dorothy McClellan, who teaches at Texas A & M University at Corpus Christi. "It does not accomplish what it sets out to do. It seeks to get revenge, but it is inefficient, it does not, in fact, deter," she said. But many Americans believe the death penalty dissuades people from committing grisly murders, and, at the very least, guarantees they will not kill again. 【出展】 VOA news http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Death-Row-Exonerated-Seek-End-to-Death-Penalty-134171228.html

• 相手Do you like it when I'm

相手Do you like it when I'm mean? 私Yes! that's another thing I like about you(スマイル) 既読が付いて返事がなかったので数分後また私からDid I say something weird? 相手No not at all, tough love is a normal saying in English "Tough Love" ↑ No not at all, tough love is a normal saying in English "Tough Love" は、どういう意味ですか?

• 意味をよろしくお願いします

I just think, when we’re having a Christmas party or something, she shouldn’t be all over another guy when her husband is across the room, because that’s taking their relationship and making it our deal. that’s taking their relationship and making it our dealの意味をよろしくお願いします。

• 意味を教えてください

I’ve been close with a group of friends for a little over three years now. In this group is a married couple I’ll call Fred and Wilma. Shortly before I married, Fred approached me and explained that he and Wilma have an open marriage and he was attracted to me. Flattered, I declined, stating that I was neither interested in that way nor emotionally equipped for that kind of relationship. Fred has been very respectful of that, and I’ve never once felt weird since then, and I’ve never mentioned it to the group as I felt it wasn’t pertinent (I did tell my husband). Lately at parties and events anytime I talk to Fred, another woman, Betty, comes over and drapes herself all over Fred. It’s gotten to the point where another member of the group mentioned it to me and wondered what the best method is of informing Fred that it’s going too far. We don’t care what he does behind closed doors, as long as all parties involved are consenting, but we also don’t care to witness the hormonal ramp up or have our conversations cut short by a jealous lover. How do we handle this, if at all? drapes herself all over FredとHow do we handle this, if at all?の意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 分かりにくい英文の意味を教えて下さい

以下はTHE PLEASURES OF IGNORANCEの冒頭の部分です。 下記のうち、 1. many of us could not tell whether or not the chaffinch sings, or the colour of the cuckoo. この部分の構文と意味。 2.whether Chapman drew on his fancy or his knowledge of nature in the lines: この文章の意味。 3.最後の詩の意味もよく分かりません。 宜しくお願いします。 It is impossible to take a walk in the country with an average townsman—especially, perhaps, in April or May—without being amazed at the vast continent of his ignorance. It is impossible to take a walk in the country oneself without being amazed at the vast continent of one's own ignorance. Thousands of men and women live and die without knowing the difference between a beech and an elm, between the song of a thrush and the song of a blackbird. Probably in a modern city the man who can distinguish between a thrush's and a blackbird's song is the exception. It is not that we have not seen the birds. It is simply that we have not noticed them. We have been surrounded by birds all our lives, yet so feeble is our observation that many of us could not tell whether or not the chaffinch sings, or the colour of the cuckoo. We argue like small boys as to whether the cuckoo always sings as he flies or sometimes in the branches of a tree—whether Chapman drew on his fancy or his knowledge of nature in the lines: When in the oak's green arms the cuckoo sings, And first delights men in the lovely springs.

• 英文の意味を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。在庫と商品の事で返事がきました。すみませんが意味を教えて下さい。お願いします。 It is easier for us to order from USA because we do our all other range (AAA) at same time. I am sure one day we will catch up in USA or Australia or may be LAX.

• 英語の意味を教えてください。

If your are comfortable with the security conditions in your neighborhood and it would be acceptable and safe for the UPS driver to leave your package at your door without being signed for, then choose "Ok to leave at my location without being signed for" Otherwise, choose "Someone will sign for this when delivered". The courier will not leave the package unless it is signed for. We are not responsible for costs of packages returned to us that were never signed for or pickup up by the addressee. Note: If you choose to not have the package signed for and its lost or stolen from your property, its your responsibility. Once its been delivered and a tracking number shows it delivered to your location, its out of our hands.

• 意味を教えて欲しいです。

This shows us how two people from different cultures can see the same thing and interpret it in very different ways. 大まかには意味が分かってるのですが、howとcanをどう訳したらいいのかよく分からなくて困っています。 もう一文、 Without being detached, we may jump to inaccurate conclusions-e.g. "Wow,Arabs are pushy", or "Wow, Japanese are shy"- without stopping to consider if the reason that one is reaching that way is a lack of understanding of how Arabs or Japanese communicate among themselves. という文で、without stopping to consider if the reason that one is reaching that way の部分がよく分からなく、このifってどう訳したらいいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の和訳を教えてください。

Everyone at one time or another has questioned the meaning of experience, or wanted to take revenge on an enemy. Yes, class, it is these subjects and questions which transcend time and place that make Shakes peare not only popular but also great. 上記の文章がきちんと訳せません。 どなたかわかる方ご教示お願いします。