"in his own right"の意味と日本語訳

このQ&Aのポイント
  • "in his own right"は、「本来持っている権利において」という意味であり、例えば、父親が子供をケアする際に、子供をその子自身が存在する権利を持っている存在として尊重し、成長を助けることを示す。
  • "in his own right"には、「独自の要素を持っている」という意味もあり、例えば、ある人が別の人物と比較された際に、その人が独立して素晴らしい能力や特徴を持っていることを強調する。
  • "in his own right"は、ある人が他の人とは独立した存在として認められていることを意味し、その人が自己成長や自己実現を求めていることが強調される。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

"in his own right"の意味と日本語訳

下記の英文の "in his own right" というのをどう翻訳したら良いでしょうか。ある本では、「本来持っている権利において」と訳していますが、日本語として意味が良くわかりません。 (原文)"To care for another person is to help him grow and actualize himself. Consider, for example, a father caring for his child. He respects the child as existing in his own right and as striving to grow." (日本語訳)「一人の人格をケアするとは、その人が成長すること、自己実現することをたすけることである。たとえば、我が子をケアする父親を考えてみよう。彼はその子を、その子自身が本来持っている権利において存在するものと認め、成長しようと努力している存在として尊重する。」 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数8
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • aad
  • ベストアンサー率23% (18/76)
回答No.8

私なら、「1個の独立した人格として」と訳します。

その他の回答 (7)

回答No.7

rightと云う言葉の背景にある、正当さ、正しさ、というニュアンスもあるのではないでしょうか。もしかすると、「右手につかんでいる……」(ex:母親、未来等)をさしているのかもしれません。

• cincinnati
  • ベストアンサー率46% (606/1293)
回答No.6

おそらく平均的日本人ならこの文章は「自己保存の欲求を持つ子供として父はその子供を尊重する。同じように成長したいと努力する子供を同様に尊重する。」とでも書くのではないでしょうか。own rightというのは日本語にすると重い言葉ですが、しかしこの言い回しはよく聞きますので、日常的には「当然のこととして」などと日本語に訳せばよろしいかと思います。キリスト教の文化では人は神からいろいろなものを与えられていると考えます。人それぞれが固有に与えられている権利と言う考え方が日常の会話の中に、とけ込んでいると言えませんか。

• mayapapa
  • ベストアンサー率30% (54/180)
回答No.5

「in his own right」という表現は、英語圏での宗教なり文化のバックグラウンドの基では、 普通の使い方なんだろうと思います。 で、それを日本語に訳す時に、「その子自身が本来持っている”権利”」とかでは、あまりにも直訳的で、 なじまないでしょうね。 たぶん、「その子自身が授かっている”資質”」のような意味合いで捉えるのがいいんだろうと思いますが。

• 150cm
  • ベストアンサー率40% (4/10)
回答No.4

人間は生まれた瞬間から 1つの固体として生きる当然の権利、 つまり「生存権」を得ます。 それは法の下で全ての人間に保証されるものですよね。 >その子自身が本来持っている権利 というのは、その「生存権」を意味するのではないでしょうか。 「父親は、自分の子供を生存権を持つ  1人の人間として対等なものと認めて接するのだ」 と、言いたいのではないかと思います。

bosatsu
質問者

補足

お返事ありがとうございます。この文章は生存権などの、権利の話をしているのではありません。rightを権利と訳した時点でおかしくなっているということに、お陰さまで気がつきました。ちなみに辞書によると、 in one's [own] right  自己の正当な要求として; 本来の資質[価値]で; 親譲りの[で] (a peeress in her own ~ (結婚によってなったのでない)貴族夫人).  となっています。「対等なものと認めて」かどうかはわかりませんが、「そもそも独立して存在する、本来の資質、価値を持った」というような意味で、良いと思います。 私の質問は、これをどのように_自然な_日本語に訳すべきか、です。(英文自体の意味は最初からわかっているので)

noname#1019
noname#1019
回答No.3

いまいちbosatsuさんの求めている答えがピンときません。 bosatsuさんだったらどう訳すのですか? own というのは、belonging to a particular person and no one else と私の英英辞典にはありますが、それを「本来持っている~」と意訳しても不自然に感じないのですが。

bosatsu
質問者

補足

masmasさん、ご親切に何度もありがとうございます。私の求めている答はたったひとつです。原文の"in his own right"と、訳文の「本来持っている権利において」とでは、受ける印象がまったく違う(というより、日本語の意味がわからない)、もっと正しい適切な意味の通じる日本語訳があるのではないか、ということです。 この違和感・語感をご理解いただけないとしたら、たしかにご回答いただけないという気がします。

• Zz_zZ
  • ベストアンサー率44% (756/1695)
回答No.2

~の(特定の場所・状況下に)存在する,ある,見られる と言う意味で、 exist in ~ という使われ方をします。exisiting で、~の者となり、 He respects          尊重する。 as existing in his own right 自己の権利で(として、の下に、を持って)                 生存する者、 as striving to grow.      成長しようと懸命な(に試みる)者として 「その子自身が本来持っている権利において存在するもの」は、 「自身の生存権において生存する者=生存する権利があって生存する者」など。

bosatsu
質問者

補足

お返事ありがとうございます。質問は英文の解釈ではなく、"in his own right"の日本語訳です。「その子自身が本来持っている権利において」という日本語の意味がわからないと思いませんか? 原文のニュアンスを見ても、決してそんな日本語になるはずがありません。

noname#1019
noname#1019
回答No.1

in his own right をそのまま逐語訳するとわかると思います。 in=において his=彼の own=所有するところの right=権利 従って「その子自身が本来持っている権利において」という訳になっても納得できるでしょう。

bosatsu
質問者

補足

お返事ありがとうございます。しかしながら、「その子自身が本来持っている権利において」という日本語の意味がわからないと思いませんか? 英語の語感では決してそんな意味不明の文ではないのですが。

関連するQ&A

• in his own blood??

こんにちわ。 NME誌を読んでいたのですが、 表現の壁にぶつかって苦しんでいます。 以下、件のセンテンス: having signed a unique 50-50 deal with Joy Division in his own blood, Wilson went on to open the Hacienda (dance culture's crucible) and blaze a unique trail through british music, one celebrated in the film 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE. 件名にも書いた"in his own blood"の 意味がわからなくてもやもやしています。 どなたかわかる方がいたら、 教えていただけませんでしょうか??

• his own well being の意味がわかりません

文中の his own well being の意味がわからないのですが、 He is all the time the self-centered individual, consecrating all thought, time and service to his own well being and personal interests. 彼は常に自己中心的な個人であり、全ての思考(思想)、時間と奉仕を、彼自身の人生をうまくやることと個人的興味に捧げます。 このような訳で良いのでしょうか?

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (21) During his own lifetime, Cicero was known as a great statesman, orator, and man of action. But he died a bitterly disappointed man. He had failed to do what he most wanted to accomplish: to save the Roman Republic. Not even Cicero's enemies, though, could doubt his love for Rome. Plutarch, writing many years after Cicero's death, tells a story about Octavian─after he had risen to great power as the emperor Augustus Caesar. The emperor found his grandson reading a book written by Cicero. Knowing that his grandfather had agreed to let Mark Antony's soldiers murder Cicero, “The boy was afraid and tried to hide it under his gown. Augustus...took the book from him, and began to read it.... When he gave it back to his grandson, he said,‘My child, this was a learned man, and a lover of his country.’”

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (21) Augustus was a hard-working emperor. He traveled to many of the provinces under his care, but he was sickly and didn't expect to live very long. After his military campaign in Spain, Augustus returned to Rome and, in 23 BCE, became quite illand began thinking about a successor to follow him as Rome's ruler. His first choice had been his nephew Marcellus, but Marcellus had died young─not long after he had married Julia, the emperor's only daughter. (22) Julia played the key role in her father's search for a successor. After Marcellus died, she had to marry again, to a man of her father's choice. For her next husband, Augustus chose his general Agrippa, his closet friend and advisor. Although Julia was much younger than Agrippa, she dutifully married him, and the couple had five children. Then Agrippa died. (23) Although Augustus adopted his young grandsons as his heirs, he still needed a husband for Julia to protect the boys in the event of his own death. So he forced his stepson Tiberius to divorce his wife, even though Tiberius loved her very deeply. (He used to follow his former wife on the streets, weeping.) The marriage between Julia and Tiberius was a disaster: Julia was unfaithful, and Tiberius went into exile on the Greek island of Rhodes. Augustus was forced to banish his own daughter from Rome for her crime of adultery. (24) Julia must have spilled many tears over her father's marriage choices for her─especially the last one. She hated Tiberius, and he felt the same way about her. Even so, she would never have questioned her father's right to select her husbands. This was a parent's duty, especially if dad happened to rule the Roman Empire.

• 18-4日本語訳

お願いします。 He told his people that he wanted them to live in a way that would lead to an“increase of their inner worthiness.”Ashoka also promoted the teachings of the Buddha and sent missionaries,including his son and his daughter,to lands as dar away as Sri Lanka so that his people would not make the same mistakes he had.As he said,“All men are my children.As for my own children,I desire that they may be provided with all the welfare and happiness of this world and of the next,so do I desire for all men as well.”  As part of his reforms,Ashoka banned the sacrifice of animals.This confused and angered many of his people,especially the Brahmins who made their living by performing animal sacrifices.The Brahmins were powerful enemies,break away from the Mauryan Empire after Ashoka's death.The last Mauryan ruler was assassinated in 185 BCE by one of his generals-who was,not so coincidentalky,a Brahmin.Although other kings would follow,no ruler would be strong enough to unite the many different people of the subcontinent into a single political state for 1,600 years.

• 日本語訳を!!

お願いします (7) Tiberius was elected a tribune of the people in 133 BCE. This office was first established to protect the plebeians, but later tribunes used it to advance their own careers. And as soon as Tiberius took office, he set to work for the rights of the plebes. The aristocrats in the Senate claimed that he was interested only in his own glory, but Tiberius denied it. He said that a trip through northern Italy had showed him how desperate the peasants really were. “The men who fight and die for Italy have only air and light. Without house or home, they wander with their wives and children in the open air.... They fight and die for the luxury and riches of others.” Tiberius insisted that Rome should give the land it gained through war to the poor. Conquered territory became state land. Technically, it belonged to Rome, but if wealthy citizens paid a small tax, they were allowed to farm it as their own. In this way most of the conquered territory passed into the hands of those who needed it least─the rich. Some aristocrats, including many senators, got tens of thousands of acres in this way. They used slave labor to work the land and made huge profits. (8) Tiberius made up his mind to change this law. He proposed that no one─no matter who his ancestors were─should be allowed to keep more than 300 acres of state land. The rest should be given to the poor. Once the homeless had land, he reasoned, they would be able to support themselves. They would no longer roam the cities in angry, hungry mobs. And, as landowners, they would be eligible to serve in the army. This would help the people, help the army, and help Rome─a “win” for everyone. But most of the senators stood against Tiberius, and it's easy to see why. His proposed law would rob them of the huge profits that they had enjoyed for so long.

• on his own terms

My grandfather passed away three years ago. It was the first death in the family I’ve experienced. I was absolutely in bits when he died. He was very healthy all of my life until that point. He had an ongoing “flu” for a couple weeks that turned out to be cancer, and he passed within a month of letting all of the immediate family know about the diagnosis. He did not opt for treatment that would have lengthened his life, which I absolutely am grateful for. He passed on his own terms in his home. He passed on his own terms「自分が思うがままに死んだ」?でしょうか?どういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳お願いします。

If it is a matter of right answers,as it may be in mathematics or science,give him the answer book. Let him correct his own papers. Why should we teachers waste time on such routine work? Our job should be to help the child when he tells us that he can't find the way to get the right answer. Let's end all this nonsence of grades,exam,marks. Let us throw them all out,and let the children learn what all educated persons must some day learn,how to measure their own understanding,how to know what they know or do not know.

• a person in my own right

The problem comes when dealing with the other grandmother, especially when others are in the vicinity. I don't know whether it's because I am older than she is or what, but she always addresses me as "Gramma Mary," as in, "Gramma Mary, what would you like to do today?" I find this condescending, disrespectful and rude. First of all, I am not her grandmother. Second, I am a person in my own right, with a job and hobbies. a person in my own rightはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳をお願いいたします。

On four occasions Corporal Bowker urged his rescuer to abandon him to his fate but Captain Bloomfield successfully and very gallantly carried Corporal Bowker back to the horses. Here, due to enemy fire and confusion, Bowker was nearly abandoned again, as Captain Bloomfield was too exhausted to carry him further. Hurley obtained a horse for Bowker but was wounded himself, and Sergeant Theron came forward with another horse for Hurley, allowing both the wounded men to be removed to safety and medical attention.