• 締切済み

motherの意味

Sidney Sheldon作The Naked Faceの一部ですが、 There were tow of them. One was in his middle forties. He was a big mother, about six foot three, and all muscle.のbig motherはどんな意味を持っているのでしょうか。 教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数8

みんなの回答

回答No.3

あけましておめでとうございます。 アメリカに36年住んでいる者です。 私なりに書かせてくださいね。 ここでのヒントはbigと言う単語なんですね。 big motherがひとつの単語として、まだ文脈によっては違う可能性は残ってはいますが、嫌いと言える奴、気に食わない奴、いやな奴だよ、と言うフィーリングでよく使われます。 奴、と言う表現をしたのはあまりきれいな表現ではなくつかうTPOに気をつける必要がある、と言うことです。 なお、腕力のある奴とか喧嘩好き、暴力的というというフィーリングを込めて使うときもあります。 もう一度前後する文章を読んで見てください。 これでいかがでしょうか。 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。

Eugine
質問者

お礼

早速のお答え、ありがとうございます。 大変参考になりました。 早く、しかも納得のいく説明を頂き、こちらも勉強になりました。 今後ともどうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• toko0503
  • ベストアンサー率36% (886/2437)
回答No.2

こんばんは、 スラング辞典を見ると以下の2つの意味があるようです。 後者は#1さんのおっしゃるホモのようですね。 前者ですと、a despicable person で 下劣なヤツとでも言うのでしょうか。 どちらかで文脈と合いますでしょうか? Mother is American slang for a despicable person. Mother is American slang for a male homosexual.

Eugine
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 とても参考になりました。 今後ともよろしくお願いいたします。

• ismael
  • ベストアンサー率33% (228/687)
回答No.1

アメリカ俗語でmotherには、「経験を積んだホモ」という意味がありますが文脈と合ってますか?bigは、単に大柄なという意味かもしれませんが、ホモの中のボス的な存在なのかも知れません。

Eugine
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 とても参考になりました。 今後ともよろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• この英文の和訳をお願いします。

The six-foot-six man put his arm around the shoulders of my little five-foot mother. このsix-foot-six とfive-footをどう訳したらいいですか? 回答よろしくお願いします。

• どのような意味でしょうか

My husband’s father died just before we got married, 17 years ago. He had been married to a woman with three daughters of her own, and the two had just had another baby girl at the time of his death. My husband and his brothers had a contentious relationship with their stepmother and stepsisters, and cut them out of their lives entirely after their father’s estate was settled. their father’s estate was settledはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どんな内容か教えてください。

By the time I had got the punt out,there were several yards of water as the branch bent under his weight. Boats were passing at the time but no one seemed to notice us. I was glad about this. This was a private agony. A double chin had appeared on the face of Mr Timberlake and his head was squeezed between his shoulders and his hanging arms.

• どのような意味でしょうか

My husband and I have been married for 11 years. My first husband died, and my grown children love "Davis" as a father. Davis is a wonderful man who took care of his kids when they were little, while his wife moved them around the country to follow a married man with whom she was having an affair. A bitter divorce followed, after which his ex turned the children against him. turned the children against himはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英文の意味が分かりません

次の英文の 「everything else had started and he knew there would be no stopping them.」 が具体的に何を意味しているのか、わかりません。 この英文の私の和訳は、次の通りです。 「他の全ての物事が始まった。そして彼は、それら(=everything else )を止めることができないと分かっていた。」 しかし、この英文が何のことを述べているのか、分からないのです。 下記に全文を載せました。どうぞ、よろしくお願いします。 He was on his bicycle suddenly, riding swiftly down the dark street, tears coming out of his eyes and his mouth whispering young and crazy curses. When he got back to the telegraph office the tears had stopped, but everything else had started and he knew there would be no stopping them. "Otherwise I'm just as good as dead myself," he said, as if someone were hearing whose hearing was not perfect.

• 英文

英文の和訳をよろしくお願いします My mother laughed. "It wasn't his name," she said. "His name was Harold. He was my mother, my only brother. Harold was eighteen when the war began. I was twelve then, and my sisters were ten and nine. Harold liked to play with us―"

• howの意味の取り方

前置詞の目的語のhowで、「どのように」やとすると不自然なhowは どのように訳せば良いでしょうか? 例えば、 1.He used to always brag about how his ancestors were Puritans. 2.My mother would freak out if she knew I was going up there with you and I'd get the standard lecture about how she never did that kind of stuff when she was a kid. などです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 高校生です。

高校生です。 小説をやくしているのですがイマイチしっくりと訳せない英文がでてきたので教えてください。 They were dreaming of golden beaches as the gray, cold spring of New York vanished behaind them. ~,his dusty face hiding his age, dressed in a plain browu suit that did not fit him.

• 和訳していただけたら・・・

I and the Village(1911) This painting by Chagall is full of strange images. Why is the big face green? Whose face is it? Why did Chagall paint a small cow on the face of another cow? You can see a few people and buildings. Some of them are upside down. Where do these images come from? In the picture,Chagall expressed parts of his life in a unique and interesting way. Most of the images have been created from his childhood memories of his hometown. The face on the right is Chagall himself. Chagall was born in 1887 Vitebsk,a city in Russia. Most people in the city,including his family,were Jewish. Though his family was poor,he had a happy childhood. In 1907,Chagall went to an art school in St.Petersburg. Later in 1910,with little money but big dreams,he left for Paris to study art. While in Paris,he often painted pictures of his hometown. “I and the Village”is one of them. よろしくお願いします。 打ち間違いをしていたらすいません。

• 和訳をお願いします。

In the early summer of 1492, three ships left Spain. The crew were apprehansive because they didn't know where they were going. The captain didn't tell them where they would land.Columbus told his crew that they would be arriving in Asia in a few months. He had no idea he was going to land on another continent-a land that didn't appear on European maps. 少し長いですが、特にwould....,とwas going toの訳がいまいちわかりません。訳せる方よろしくお願いします。