• ベストアンサー

ある英語の問題を考えていただきたいのですが。

Even if it was cold and rainy out yesterday when got there , the entire group stripped and jumped into the lake. (A)Even if (B)out (C)yesterday when (D)into (A)~(D)のどれかが誤っているらしいんですが。 out→outsideというコトで(B)なのか、はたまたwhenとgotの間あたりが なにやらあやしい、というコトで(C)なのか… それとも、意味を 「昨日ソコに着いて、外は寒くて雨降ってたけど、みんな裸になって池に飛び込んだんだ。」 というふうにとって、Even if→Thoughなのか… whenとgotの間にはweが省略されてる、というコトなんですかねぇ?

noname#4530
noname#4530
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#1019
noname#1019
回答No.1

(A) Even if→Thoughで正しいと思います。 Even ifが「たとえ~だとしても」という意味なのに対して、Thoughは「~にもかかわらず」という意味なので、この文全体の意味から考えるとThoughが正しいと思います。 Even ifだと仮定法になるので、主節の動詞の前にwouldという助動詞が入ると思うのですが。the entire group would strip.... また、when と got の間には、we が省略されているというよりも、the entire group の代名詞である they が省略されていると考えた方がいいでしょう。

noname#4530
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 よく考えてみたら、意味的にEven if→Thoughじゃないと変ですね。 かんちがいしてました。 なぜ、 「Even ifのときの意味もあるしなぁ、、、」 と考えていたのか不思議です。 それに仮定法という観点からも明らかにおかしいですね、たしかに。 今回、考えてたのが深夜というコトもありまして、脳が死にかけてたみたいです。 クダラン質問で手間かけちゃってすみませんです。

その他の回答 (2)

回答No.3

答えは(1)だと思いました。 先の回答者の方が指摘されているように、even if でなく、thoughとかalthoughが入る。 Though it was cold and rainy out yesterday when (they were) got there, the entire group stripped and jumped into the lake. * whenとgotの間には、they were が省略されている、のではないかと見ました。意味ではなく文法からそう思いました。(この場合、のthey は、the entire group) * 「副詞節における"主語とbe動詞"の省略」の一例ではないかと見ました。(この文例では"主語だけ"省略される理由がない、と思う) * すると、文意も一段掴みやすくなると思いました。when they were got there =彼らがそこに連れて行か「れた」時。元の文は、受動態と見ます。(get-got-got(=gotten))。なんか、「昨日そこに連れて行かれたとき、外は寒くて雨も降っていたが、(よれよれ・汗まみれの)皆は裸になって湖に飛び込んだ。」というような感じでは?と。 * 蛇足ながらthe entire groupという句は、複数theyでなくて単数itで受けることも可能に思えます。ただ万一そうすると、先行する天候を示すitと、itが二つになりダブるので、半無意識に作者は避けるだろうな、とも推察しました。いずれにしても省略したので問題は解消ですね。 …いかがでしょう。

noname#4530
質問者

お礼

鋭い考察ですね。 いろいろ学ばせてもらいました。 どうもぼくは、なんの考察もせず、なんとなくこんな感じ?っていうふうに 文を解釈しちゃうのでいかんです。 それでは、ありがとうございました。

noname#84083
noname#84083
回答No.2

Though it was cold and (was) raining outside yesterday when got there, Though it was cold and rainy (day) yesterday when got there, かな?

関連するQ&A

• 英語の問題です。教えてください。

主節か従属節かを考えて書き直す問題です。 例 After you break the eggs into a bowl,beat them well. ↓ Beat eggs well after you break them into bowl. (1) Even if Anna drinks just one beer, she should not drive. (2) When the earthquake struck, I was in the shower.

• 英語翻訳お願いします。nish

1「もし山田が運転してる車が僕のバイクにぶつかって僕が怪我をしなかったら、一円もお金はもらえなかったよ。」 If the car Yamada was driving had not bumped into my motorcycle and I hadn't got injured, I couldn't have gained even 1 yen from him.又は、 If I hadn't been hit by the car driven by Yamada and~.等仮定法過去完了で表してみたのですが、冗語的なので訂正又は別の表現を教えて頂ければ幸いです。 宜しくお願いします。

• 間違い探しの問題

英文の間違いを探す問題です Owing to their superior skills,highly competitive swimmers  have been known to win contests and break records even when suffered from injuries. 答えは when が間違いになってます。 even if だと思いますが  when でも意味は合うので間違いでないような気がします。 教えてください。 和訳はついていません。

• 英語の問題です

A 175-lb woman stands on a vinyl floor wearing stiletto high-heel shoes. If the heel has dimensions shown, determine the average normal stress she exert on the floor and compare it with the average normal stress developed when a man having the same weight is wearing flat-heeled shoes. Assume the load is applied slowly, so that dynamic effects can be ignored. Also, assume the entire weight is supported only by the heel of one shoe. が物理の授業で出ましたが訳がまったく解りません。どなたか訳してください stressは応力でお願いしますm(_ _)m

• 英語問題

_____ に適する単語を書く問題なのですが、わかりますか? わかったら翻訳もお願いします(;_;) (1)911. (2)There's been a terrible accident. A truck plowed into a pedestrian. He's _____ all over and he has difficulty _____. We're on Framingham Street at the corner of 5th Avenue. (3)O.K. we'll dispatch a paramedic ASAP. (4)What can I do in the meantime? (5)_____ his pulse every three minutes, and if it's weak,_____CPR. (1)_____ 120 bpm, RR 20 bpm,_____ 10. (2)What's his temperature and _____? (3)It's 36 ℃ and 80 over 50. (4)Set up another _____ line and check _____ and Chem-7. (5)I'll send this blood to the lab. (1)I began to experience migraine _____ and a tingling _____on the left side of my body. Eventually, I had _____ and difficulty using my left hand and leg. (2)Any problem when you walk? (3)Yes, my stride's _____ shorter. My feet barely leave the ground, and I _____ even on a stone on the road. (1)Please lie on the _____table. I'm going to insert an intravenous line into a _____in your arm. (2)Please _____to the PET scan machine. You'll have an injection of radioactive fluoride then. (3)Does that mean I get _____? (4)Yes, but it's such a tiny amount and does no _____ your body. The PET scan will show the dopamine _____in the basal ganglia.

• 英語の問題について

古い英文学なのですが、この物語の中の父親の人物像について、どのようなものだと書かれていますか? 書かれている部分とその意味を教えてください。 Father made a great point of our getting down to breakfast on time. I meant to be prompt, but it never occurred to me that I had better try to be early. My idea was to slide into the room at the last moment. Consequently, I often was late. My brothers were often late, too, with the exception of George. He was the only thoroughly reliable son Father had. George got down so early, Father pointed out to me, that he even had time to practise a few minutes on the piano. The reason George was so prompt was that he was in a hurry to see the sporting page before Father got hold of the newspaper, and the reason he then played the piano was to signal to the rest of us, as we dressed, which team had won yesterday’s ball game. He had made up a code for this purpose, and we leaned over the banisters, pulling on our stockings and shoes, to hear him announce the results. I don’t remember now what the titles were of the airs he selected, but the general idea was that if he played a gay, lively air it meant that the Giants had won, and when the strains of a dirge or lament floated up to us, it meant that Pop Anson had beaten them. As Father didn’t approve of professional baseball, we said nothing to him about this arrangement. He led his life and we led ours, under his nose. He took the newspaper away from George the moment he entered the room, and George said good morning to him and stepped innocently into the parlour. Then, while Father watched him through the broad doorway and looked over the political headlines, George banged out the baseball news for us on the piano. Father used to admonish him with a chuckle not to thump it so hard, but George felt that he had to. We were at the top of the house, and he wanted to be sure that we’d hear him even if we were brushing our teeth. George always was thorough about things. He not only thumped the piano as hard as he could but he hammered out the tune over and over besides, while Father impatiently muttered to himself, “Trop de zèle.” Upstairs, there was usually some discussion as to what kind of news George was sending. He had not been allowed to learn popular tunes, which it would have been easy for us to recognize, and the few classic selections which were available in his little music-book sounded pretty much alike at a distance. George rendered these with plenty of goodwill and muscle but not a great deal of sympathy. He regarded some of the rules of piano-playing as needlessly complicated. The fact remained that he was the one boy who was always on time, and Father was so pleased by this that he bought a watch for him with “George Parmly Day, Always on Time” engraved on the back. He told me that as I was the eldest he had meant to give me a watch first, and he showed me the one he had bought for me. It was just like George’s except that nothing had been engraved on it yet. Father explained that to his regret he would have to put it away for a while, until I had earned it by getting down early to breakfast. Time went on, without much improvement on my part. Dawdling had got to be a habit with me. Sometimes my lateness was serious. One morning, when breakfast was half over and I had nothing on but a pair of long woollen drawers, Father called up from the front hall, napkin in hand, that he wouldn’t stand it and that I was to come down that instant. When I shouted indignantly that I wasn’t dressed yet, he said he didn’t care. “Come down just as you are, confound it!” he roared. I was tempted to take him at his word, but thought there might be some catch in it and wouldn’t, though I hurried, of course, all I could. Father ate his usual hearty breakfast in a stormy mood, and I ate my usual hearty breakfast in a guilty and nervous one. Come what might, we always ate heartily. I sometimes wished afterward that I hadn’t, but it never seemed to hurt Father.

• 英語の分からない問題を教えてください。

次の1~5に続く英文はa~eのどれだと思いますか? 1.He is very lonely... 2.He neglected his heart... 3.He doesn't mix with others... 4.Even when he has some hope... 5.This lonely man... a)it naturally dies without encouragement. b)and continues to live a solitary life. c)because he didn't care about anyone. d)would like to control his life. e)so much that it died.

• 英語の方言?略語? ter

英語の方言?略語? ter こんにちは。 私は洋書を読むのが好きなのですが、 Harry Potterの登場人物で、ハグリッドという大男がいますよね。 ハグリッドは、例えばyouをyeh、yourをyer、forをfer、andをan'といった喋り方をするのですが、 terというのはtoの事でしょうか? Yeh'd die of hunger tryin' ter get out, even If yeh did manage ter get yer hands on summat. みたいな感じでちょこちょこ使われているのですが。 お分かりになる方、教えていただけると嬉しいです。

• 英語の問題で分からないものがあります

英語の問題で分からないものがあります 答えが無いのと体調がすぐれない為 思う様に進める事が出来ません どなたかお力添えを頂け入ると助かります 次の英文中の ( ) 内に最も適する表現を a ~ d の中から1つ選びなさい  ・ It will be ( ) tomorrow .   ( a: rain  b: rainy  c:rained  d:rains )  ・ He earns his living ( ) teaching English .   ( a: under  b: on  c:by  d:with )     ・ Let’s wait ( ) he comes .   ( a: till  b: by  c:by the time  d:now )  ・ ( ) higher you go up , the colder it becomes .   ( a: So  b: As  c:If  d:The )  ・ Would you mind ( ) the window ?   ( a: opens  b: opened  c:opening  d:to open ) 恐縮ですが 和訳と解説等もご記入抱けると助かります 宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語の問題です。教えてください。

主節か従属節かを考えて書き直す問題です。 例 After you break the eggs into a bowl,beat them well. ↓ Beat eggs well after you break them into bowl. (1) As long as you get home, let me know. (2) Because this is the seventh time Luke’s been absent, he failed the course. (3) In case you forget to bring yours, I’m pretty sure that Katie has a spare. (4) In the event that the BBQ’s called off due to the weather, it will be rescheduled. (5) Unless Ryan has a good reason, I doubt if the boss will forgive him. (6) When Layla gets in, could you tell her that Aria needs to see her? (7) I started feeling sick while I was giving a presentation. (8) Before the plane doors close, we have to sit down. (9) Due to really lousy weather, the golf tournament was cancelled. (10) Once you find the big intersection, you can easily find the hotel. (11) Even if Anna drinks just one beer, she should not drive. (12) When the earthquake struck, I was in the shower. (13) Curt freaks out whenever he sees a cockroach. (14) You can sit here so long as you are polite. (15) Since John forgot her birthday present, he had to go back home and get it. (16) Hanshin is still very popular although they lose most of their games. (17) As long as Oliver does his job well, the boss does not care what he wear to work. 宜しくお願いします。