「the Dandelion clock」の抜粋部分について知りたい

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「the Dandelion clock」からの抜粋部分についてわからない点があります。
  • 特に、最後のフレーズ「All the best ones are.」の意味が理解できません。
  • また、「my voice, lodged somewhere」の「lodged」の意味も教えていただきたいです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

わからない箇所を教えてください。

In my head there is a ghost of a voice: my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time. It's still a crap joke, Jamie, I hear myself saying; and a moment later, there is the ghost of Jamie's voice also: All the best ones are. ********************* 「the Dandelion clock」からの抜粋部分なのですが、 最後のAll the best ones are. の意味がよくわかりません。 またmy voice, lodged somewhere ~のlodgedの意味は心に留まる、記憶に残る、という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ベストアンサー率47% (260/542)
回答No.2

結構難しい文の一説のようですね。ここだけうまく訳せるかわかりませんが、試してみます。 --- 私の頭のなかに、別の声が聞こえる: 私の声。普段は見えない別の場所に潜んでいる。 Jamie, バカバカしいジョークにすぎないんだけど、私自身が話しているのが聞こえるの。そしてしばらくするとJamieの別の声も聞こえる: それはすごく良いことを言っているの。 All the best ones are のonesは、自分のghostの声とJamieのghost の声の事かと思います。 上の訳ではghostを”別の声”と意訳しちゃいましたが、直訳が難しいのでそのまま訳すとしたらゴーストの声。自分の幽霊、架空の自分。要は別の自分。 All the bestは、最高のですが、onesが自分とJamieの別の声とすると、その語りかけてくる内容が最高に良い、いいことを言っていると言うことかと想像しました。 my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time in a different time は、別の時には。今じゃない時。つまり普段は。 somewhere out of sight は目に見えない何処か。声の事なので目に見えないどこかと訳すのもちょっと気が引けましたがとりあえず。 lodged は、泊まる、とどまる、ですがここでは”宿っている”といいたくなるのですがちょっと大げさなんのであっさりと、”潜んでいる” 記憶に残ると言う意味ではないと言うニュアンスを伝えたいのではないと思いますが、結果的には頭のどこかに残っているので、それが自分の別の声として聞こえてくると言うことなのでしょう。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

抜粋部分でわかりにくかったと思いますが、全体的に訳して解説してくださって内容が大体掴めた感じです。 回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> All the best ones are  これは 『不思議の国のアリス (Alice in Wonderland)』 を少し変えたものですね。原文は   All the best people are. で、「いい人ってのは、みんな頭が変なのよ」 ということらしい。 > lodge  下記の辞書を見ると   to (cause to) become stuck in a place or position: とあります。   http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/lodge  それなら a voice:lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time は、「どこか別な時代の、見えない場所に居座ってる (人の) 声」 みたいに感じられる、ということを言っているのかも。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

『不思議の国のアリス (Alice in Wonderland)』 にも似たようなフレーズがあるんですね。 lodgeについて辞書のリンクを貼って解説していただいてありがとうございました。 回答ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘Are you sure you can remember all this?’ ‘You have to concentrate, Alex,’ my father is saying. ‘How can you remember things if you don’t concentrate?’ ‘I try,’ I say. ‘Well, try trying a bit harder.’(前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Alex?' ‘I'll remember,' I say again. ‘Well, it doesn't matter if you don't. I can give you a copy on Thursday. Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' I can tell he's joking. ‘Yes,' I say. ‘Fruit segments, sometimes. Some other stuff.' ‘Really? I didn't know that. Well well. And last of all – there are others, like I said, but these are the ones she's keenest to get you to talk about –starbursts and seedheads; dandelions particularly, apparently, and motifs with the same shape-patterns as dandelion seedheads. So. Think you can come up with something for her?' *【In my head there is a ghost of a voice: my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time. It's still a crap joke, Jamie, I hear myself saying; and a moment later, there is the ghost of Jamie's voice also: All the best ones are.】 I say, ‘I'll try.' ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 *【】の個所は、以前質問させていただいた部分です。 Well, it doesn't matter if you don't. のyou don'tのところは動詞が続いていないのですが、「君(Alex)が僕(Max)の言ったことを忘れないなら問題ないよ」という意味になるのでしょうか? I can give you a copy on Thursday. Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' I can tell he's joking. で、I can tell he's jokingと言っているのはどういうジョークをMaxが言っているのでしょうか?(どの部分がジョークと言えるようになっているのでしょうか?そもそもDid you know there were~と聞くこと自体がナンセンスみたいなことなのでしょうか?) Did you know there were trilaterally symmetrical forms in your paintings?' ‘Yes,' I say. ‘Fruit segments, sometimes. Some other stuff.' ‘Really? I didn't know that. Well well. And last of all – there are others,~ ここのやり取りの内容が掴めないのですが、三辺が対照的な形が果物の部分にある、という事をAlexが答えていて、本当に?それは知らなかった、とMaxが言っている感じみたいなのですが、ジョークをジョークで返した?ということなのでしょうか?? sometimesはときどき、たまには、という意味ですか? たまに、果物の部分に三辺が対照的な形があるよ、ということですか? Think you can come up with something for her?の個所は、本来はDo you think~なのでしょうか?Thinkが前に出て来ているのはなぜなのでしょうか?(命令形?) 意味は、「彼女に何かを示すことができると思う?」ということですか? たくさんの質問になってしまってすみません。 教えてください。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

~Think you can come up with something for her?' In my head there is a ghost of a voice: my voice, lodged somewhere out of sight in a different time. It's still a crap joke, Jamie, I hear myself saying; and a moment later, there is the ghost of Jamie's voice also: All the best ones are. I say, ‘I'll try.'(前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Good. I’ve been up to look over the gallery. Paul Horshot’s in charge. It’s going to be tremendous, Alex. There’s advance publicity coming out right now. Deborah’s working the press for us, and we’ll probably do a preview showing the day before it opens – get the reviews out on the day, which should be good. And Alan Harper wants you to say something at a kind of drinks and vol-au-vents bash, which I know isn’t your kind of thing, but would be very good for the momentum of it all. It’s – wait a moment – it’s two days before, on the twenty-second. It shouldn’t be too difficult. Alex? Alex, are you there?’ ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 :主人公のAlexと知人と思われるMaxが電話で話している場面です。 And Alan Harper wants you to say something at a kind of drinks and vol-au-vents bash, which I know isn’t your kind of thing,~で、I know isn’t your kind of thingの個所がわからないのですが、”drinks and vol-au-vents bashについては君のわからない分野だと思うけど”、みたいなことを言っているのでしょうか? It’s – wait a moment – it’s two days before, on the twenty-second. で言っているのは、a preview showingがthe galleryがオープンする2日前に開かれる、ということですか?on the twenty-secondというのは22日?secondのところがわかりません。22日はtwenty-twoですか? It shouldn’t be too difficult.それは難しすぎる・・・shouldn't beの意味の取り方がわかりません。またitが指しているものはa preview showingですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

the room is the wrong colour. All the rooms are wrong. I have to change them back. Moving quickly – eagerly – I leave the paintings in the middle of the room and turn my back to them, getting brushes, a screwdriver, levering the lids from the cans of emulsion. I look at the empty expanse of the wall, ready for new paint, and take a deep breath.(前回の終わりの部分です)                *  *  * The Art rooms smell of turpentine and oils – chalk, charcoal – white spirit— The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else – a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face— As soon as I can, I scramble over the wall to wait for Jamie. I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch. It is hot back here already; the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water, and though this side catches it a little more fully, the whole of Altesa is bathed in light from mid-morning through to sunset. The stones of the waste ground here soak up the heat and hold it, and even after dusk will be warm to the touch, as though alive. Jamie is nowhere to be seen. After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. It is warm and I feel lazy and happy. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は現在からまた過去のシーンに戻っているように思われます。 The picture I have made is the still life we are supposed to draw, but there is something else の中のThe picture I have made is the still life とは静物画のことですか?we are supposed to draw私たちが描くと思われる??受動態になっているのがよくわかりません。なぜなのでしょうか? a face breaking through the surface of the picture, half submerged there – his face – Jamie’s face—について、これは、静物画の表面にJamieの顔が浮かび上がっているような感じなのでしょうか? I have endured the morning’s story with my father and am free now until lunch.の中のthe morning's storyとは朝食の時の会話のことですか? the sun rises at the head of the valley and sets down over the water,のsets downは、沈む、という意味ですか? After a few minutes of walking back and forth, I settle down to wait, finding a comfortable place to sit and raking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. でraking together a pile of pebbles to throw at the larger rocks. とありますが、つまり大きな岩に小石を投げて遊ぶ、みたいな意味でしょうか? 教えてください。  お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I look for Orion, and find him almost at once, a small smile of acknowledgement twitching the corner of my mouth. There are a few clouds low on the line of hills, but leaning out of the window I can see that the sky overhead is clear.(前回の終わりの部分です) I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of it: the suspicion that I might catch it out of the corner of my eye – the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off. I shake my head. There is no hermit any more. There never was a hermit; not a real one. I look up at the sky again. It’s not the time of year for the shooting stars yet; a few months must pass before the Perseids wash through the Earth’s orbit and burn briefly through the high atmosphere. Jamie tells me all about them. We watch them together. *************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに帰ってきています。 JamieはAlexの幼友達です。 I find myself searching the darkness at the head of the valley for the winking green light that is my signal, but I am more than forty years too late. のところがわかりません。 私は谷の頂上で暗闇を探している。。。私の合図であるウィンクしている緑の光に対して??search for~で熟語になっているような気もするのですが。。。 There is nothing there, and yet I still can’t get rid of itの最後のitはthe winking green light ですか? the three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clock that mean it is time to set off.ここのthe dandelion clockはこの作品のタイトルにもなっているのですが、 ここの英文の意味はどうやってとるのでしょうか?(the dandelion clock はタンポポの綿毛?it is time to set off=出発の時間である? from up byの前置詞が繋がっているところがよくわかりません) thatは関係代名詞でしょうか?先行詞はthe three blinks of green from up by the dandelion clockですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

She closes the door after her and, a few moments later, there comes the first hiss of water from the shower, and somewhere far off the rumble and clang of air through the plumbing of the old building. I am left lying on my bed, staring at the wall, trying to keep the thought of her out of my head. (前回の終わりの部分です) I look again at her luggage. Bags and suitcases. There is still something about them that draws my attention, but now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify. I stare at them, and can feel myself frowning. Something is – I don’t know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something— I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better. In the next room Anna is naked, and that is what’s bothering me. Because I shouldn’t be thinking of her like that. Because she’s Anna. The suitcases – the suitcases are square and prosaic and dull and incredibly unerotic. That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense. I almost laugh at the convolutions of it all. Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead. Mad Alex, Jamie would have said. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。AnnaはAlexの幼なじみです。(この場面は回想シーンのように思われます) Something is – I don't know what. Not right? What can be not right about suitcases? But something—この英文はスーツケースに対してどういうことを思っているということが書かれているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。now it doesn’t feel as if they’re a good composition for a sketch; it’s something else which I can’t readily identify.のところから気持ちが続いている感じはするのですが。 I look back to the wall, try another rueful smile, and this one works better.のthis one works better.とはどういう意味ですか?壁にふり返って悲しげに笑ってみる、ということがよりよく働く? That is why they keep nagging at me, tugging at the corners of my mind. In a way, it all makes perfect sense.のところが難しいのですが、theyはThe suitcasesのことだと思うのですが、the corners of my mindとは頭の角?という意味ですか?cornersのところがよくわかりません。In a way, it all makes perfect sense.ある意味ではそれは完全に意味をなします?の言っている意味はどういうことでしょうか? Alone in a room, trying not to laugh, not allowing myself to think of the girl showering just behind the wall, filling my head with her casually piled suitcases instead.の中で主語はないのでしょうか?動詞はpiledですか? casuallyは「何気なく」?  Jamie would have saidについて、Jamie have saidとどういう違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。2

‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. (前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s bedroom isn’t anything like mine. My room is quite small, with a ceiling that slopes down from the door to the window. Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roof; if I crane my head far out to the left, I can see the end of my mother’s verandah roof at the back of the house, where the iron stove-pipe of the little fat stove comes up through it. My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s. I have a little cupboard of toys, too, and some big picture-books which I still love and look at, though I know my father doesn’t like them. Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Under my window is the gentle pitch of the kitchen roofの中の、 the gentle pitchとはどういうものなのでしょうか? My bed is against one wall, and a wardrobe stands by the door that leads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’s.について、and a wardrobe stands~の意味なのですが、洋服ダンスはドアのそばにある、、、次のleads through to the back bedroom that is sometimes Lena’sのところが意味がとれません。ときどきLenaのベッドルームになる後ろを通って??? right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.の出だしのrightは右側という意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

Apart from these things, my room is quite bare: the walls are pale, the ceiling white, the surround of the window dark wood. The best thing is the view: right along the row of our neighbours’ houses and up the valley.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie’s room is much larger. Although there is more space, it all seems to be filled: with books and magazines and comics, with bedclothes, with packing cases and boxes both empty and half-full and unopened, with posters – rolled up and piled untidily in a corner. Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing out, and by it on the wall is pinned, carefully, a large piece of card which looks as if it might be a map of something, though the scattered mass of little dots and larger dots and numbers and words makes no sense to me at all.  On one of the bookshelves is a small black case, lined with worn red velvet, in which Jamie keeps his clarinet. He’s played it to me several times. Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 Near the window is a little red telescope on a tripod, pointing outのpointing outとはどういう意味ですか?~を指摘する、ですか? by it on the wall is pinned~の主語は何になるのでしょうか? itの前にbyがついていてよくわからなくなってしまいました。 Once school starts, his parents are going to find him a new teacher here, and he’ll learn new pieces, and play those to me as well. のOnceは、一旦~すれば、の意味ですか? 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

I can feel my mind floating through the questions, drifting. There is almost a physical sensation. I remember this. I remember it from very, very long ago, and I fight it, pushing it back from me.(前回の終わりの部分です) Jamie says, ‘Oh, Alex is no good with things like that. If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.’ He grins, and his eyes sparkle for a moment in the afternoon sun. ‘He’s mad,’ he adds. There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me, cracked where a stone has struck it. I stare at it: the central star-like contact point, the silver-edged cracks radiating from it like ribbons of metal. I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices. The little fused nebula of dense, almost white craquelure around the hole – a starburst, a sudden splash in flat-calm water, like gossamer— Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— ****************************************** 「The Dandelion clock」からの英文です。 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。JamieとAnnaはAlexの幼な友達です。(If you leave him alone he goes dreamy. He’s probably been sitting doing that half the time.の中のheは誰を指しているのかはよくわかりません) ************************************* There is a broken pane of glass in the French windows next to me,の意味を取ると、「私の隣にフランス窓があって、壊れた一枚のガラスがあります」みたいな感じですか?next to me=私の隣に? I force Jamie’s voice from my head and concentrate instead on this broken pane, staring at it with a kind of foolish fixation, as though it will keep from me these ghost voices.のinsteadのところがわからないのですが、Jamieの声を私の頭から追いやるよりも、この壊れた窓ガラスに集中する、ですか? Anna’s hands reaching above me, her neatness, her precision, and a deep blue that is almost black – set with stars— のher precisionは「彼女の精密さ」ですか?意味的にどういうことを言っているのかちょっとピンとこないのですが。 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。

‘You’re weird,’ he says eventually. I blink. But then he says, ‘I like you, though.’ And my heart skips once, and feels as if it is grinning inside me. ‘I like you too,’ I say. ‘And wouldn’t it be great if you could go anywhere, just in your head – the moon or Mars, or different planets?’ I have never thought about this either. ‘I suppose,’ I say. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘I’d love that.’ He looks entranced with the possibility. ‘Do you like comics?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully. ‘But I speak English,’ I say, surprised. It takes me a moment to remember that Jamie is a foreigner, like me. Astonished, I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents. ‘Can you speak like this?’ Jamie looks just as astonished, but he answers the same way. ‘Yes. My father’s English.’ ‘Mine too,’ I say. ‘And Mummy,’ I add, remembering. Suddenly he begins to laugh – a little at first that quickly grows into a great uncontrollable peal that rings against the side of the valley. He points at me, helplessly, and then at himself, and I understand immediately what he means – We’re such idiots! – and the funny side of it strikes me, too. I can’t help it; I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes. I can’t think of a time when I’ve laughed harder. At last we quieten down. Occasionally we look sideways at each other and giggles overwhelm us again; but in the end we are too tired to laugh any more. We sit side by side with big, idiot grins on our faces. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は回想シーンで幼なじみのJamieと話しているところです。 二人のやり取りが正確にはよくわからないのですが、 I’ve got some great ones. They’re in English, though,’ he adds, doubtfully.のdoubtfullyとはどういう意味合いなのでしょうか?疑わしげに?自分が持っているいくつかの漫画はすばらしいけれど、英語で書かれている。の後にdoubtfullyが付くのがよくわかりません。 I switch from the way we have been talking – the way I talk with Lena – to the other way I talk, when I’m with my parents.というのは、AlexがJamieと今まで話していた方法を変えた、ということで、Lenaや、両親と話していた英語でJamieに話した、ということですか? We’re such idiots! とありますが、Alexが、英語が話せるJamieに今までイタリア語で話していたことがおかしいのでしょうか?? I join him, laughing harder and harder until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.とありますが、until my sides hurt and there are tears in my eyes.というのは、Alexのどんな心境を表しているのでしょうか?何に傷ついているのかがわかりません。(あまりにもばかげた事を言ってしまったことですか?・・・英語が話せるの?というような) 教えてください。お願いします。

• わからない個所を教えてください。1

My parents still talk about it sometimes. He makes me tell him about the people – the figures he’s seen around town, the other children, our neighbours. I pour out all of Lena’s patchwork history of the town while he sits, attentive, soaking it up again. And I tell him the things Lena doesn’t know, or doesn’t like to mention: like Lucia being a witch. Like Signor Ferucci. (前回の終わりの部分です) ‘Up there on the side of the valley,’ I say, pointing out the window. ‘Well, you can’t really see it from here. But there’s a big white house, and it’s got a wall all round, high up, and gates. For miles. And he lives in there and he never comes out. Well, hardly ever.’ ‘Have you ever seen him?’ Jamie asks. ‘Well, sometimes. In town. He’s got a beard and he looks a bit scary. He’s really tall.’ ‘Is it a mad beard – like, all wild?’ ‘No,’ I say, slightly surprised. ‘No, it’s neat.’ ‘Oh.’ ‘Nobody knows what he does in there,’ I add. ‘Lena says—’ There’s a pause. I concentrate very hard on not going away from Jamie. He doesn’t always mind it when I do, but sometimes I sense that he is a little worried. Lena’s word comes drifting back to me. ‘Lena says he’s – recluse,’ I say. ‘What’s that?’ ‘Someone – someone who doesn’t like to come out.’ ‘Why?’ ‘I don’t know.’ ‘Maybe he’s a vampire,’ Jamie says. ‘Yeah.’ I think for a moment, and something else comes back to me. ‘I think he used to be that other thing,’ I say vaguely. The word hits. ‘Politician.’ Jamie says, ‘I’ve got a whole story about vampires from a haunted tomb in one of these.’ He indicates the several stacks of comics that are lined up against the wall of his room. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。この英文は幼い頃の回想シーンです。 But there’s a big white house, and it’s got a wall all round, high up, and gates. For miles.のFor milesはどうやって訳すのでしょうか? I concentrate very hard on not going away from Jamie. を訳すと、僕は Jamieから去らないことに非常に一生懸命に集中した、ですか?これはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。