Working with Displaced Speakers: Challenges and Concerns

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Working with displaced speakers raises concerns about language proficiency and community support.
  • The majority of fieldwork is done with native speakers met during classes or in their homes.
  • Minority language speakers are at risk of not using their language enough.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文和訳

非常に長い文章ですが、お付き合い頂けたら幸いです。 I have worked on a , b , c, d, in each case on one or more trip away from home. 【But all the hours on all these trips put together would constitute only a small percentage of my total hours spent doing fieldwork on days when I spent the night in my own bed. 】Most of my field date had been gathered from native speakers with whom I met during classes at UCLA , in my office, or in their homes a few hours' drive from Los Angels. 中略 【An important worry for linguists contemplating working with a displaced speaker is whether that person still commands his or her language as well as someone with the support of a whole community.】This is a valid concern -- anyone can forget his or her language with no practice of stimulation. But any minority language speakers--as almost all speakers of American Indian language are these days-- are in danger of not using their language enough. 【】で括った箇所の訳文を作りたいのですが… それぞれよくわからない部分があります… 試訳 1 直訳 しかし、前述したような旅にかけた時間をひとまとめにした総時間は、私が夜、ベッドの中で過ごし行ってきたフィールドワークにかけた総時間の中では、ほんの些細なものでしか無い。 1 (意訳紛い) しかし、旅に費やした時間を合計しても、私が夜、ベッドの中で過ごし、日々行っていたフィールドワークに費やした時間の合計の中では、些細なものであろう。 試訳2(直訳) 分離された話者と共に作業しようと意図する多くの研究者に対して、大きな懸念は、共同体全体を支える人物がいるのかどうかと同様に、その人物が未だ彼/彼女の言語を上手く使えるのかどうかという事である。 試訳2 (意訳紛い) 元々の土地から離れた話者と伴に研究を行おうと考えている研究者の多くに対し、重大な懸念がある。その話者が、ある人間に共同体全体を維持するために尽力させることができるかどうか、同様に、その話者自身が自分の言語を未だ自由闊達に操れるどうかというものである。 どなたか和訳を見てのコメント、また、一文を抜いてきてとなってしまっているので、難しいとは思いますが、出来れば試訳して、解説していただけないでしょうか… 長文失礼しました。 補足ですが、前文a.b.c.dの箇所には地名が入ります。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 92128bwsd
  • ベストアンサー率58% (2275/3919)
回答No.1

【But all the hours on all these trips put together would constitute only a small percentage of my total hours spent doing fieldwork on days when I spent the night in my own bed. 】 ポイントは when I spent the night in my own bedと思いますが、その前にこの著者が仕事(研究・調査)のために旅に出ていることを言っているので、ここでは「夜は自分のベッドで寝る」つまり「旅に出ないで、自分の地元で」と言うことを言っていると思います。せいぜい朝どこかに出かけて行って研究・調査しても夜には自宅に返って自分のベッドで寝られるくらいの範囲と言うことと思います。 「しかしながら、これらの旅行の全ての時間を束ねた物は私が自分の地元でのフィールドワークに費やした時間のほんの僅かな割合にすぎないだろう。」 この文、本当にロジカルに読むと日本語でも英語でもちょっとおかしく、流れとしては一件調査の旅行に費やした時間が、フィールドワークに費やした時間の一部に見えるのですが、そうするとwhen I spent ...以下も、旅行に言っている時を含むことになってしまい、ちょっとした矛盾があります。揚げ足取りですが(笑) 【An important worry for linguists contemplating working with a displaced speaker is whether that person still commands his or her language as well as someone with the support of a whole community.】 これは、英文よりもまずは言語学者として言いたいことを察するのを先にやった方が良いと思います。地元(と言うのはこのケースでは後でインディアンが出てくるので、アメリカなのでしょうね)にいながらにして、それぞれの出身地の言葉をしゃべる人達を研究することについて言っていそうなので、本当にその人達がもともとの言葉を正しく喋っているのかどうかと言う疑問を、著者と共有できれば良いと思います。 「(同じ言語を話す人達から)孤立した話者を使って研究しようと考える言語学者の重要な懸念は、彼または彼女が、(その言葉を話す)完全なコミュニティーの中にいる話者のように、未だに彼らの言語を十分に操ることができるかどうかと言うことだ。」 直訳するともっとわかりにくくなりそうな文なので意訳しているので、単語単語で忠実に訳していないところがあることはご容赦下さい。 Communityと言うのは、元の出身の国・土地と言うよりは同じ言語を話す人達が固まって暮らしているような環境で、サポートは支援と言うよりはそう言う環境に支えられて言葉がちゃんと話せると言う意味合いと思います。

dadada5151
質問者

お礼

こんなに早く、丁寧なご回答をいただけるとは!!! 本当にありがとうございます! 和訳は、英文の形だけに留まらず内容面にまで、踏み込む必要があると再認識いたしました…

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をお願いします

By individual change we refer to a spontaneous change in a language on the part of a single speaker. Community change we may define as the transmission and ultimate sharing of changes among speakers in a linguistic community. 「実質的変化によって、我々は一人の話し手の部分にある言語で自発変化を示す。我々はcommunity changeを、言語学的なコミュニティーで話者間にある伝達や変異の究極の共有を定義しても良い。」 といった感じで完全にお手上げになってしまいました。。 文意が取れません。 どなたか、分かりやすく教えていただけませんか?

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

What do you make of a co-worker (and casual friend) who is forever finding something requiring her assistance -- with my outfit, face or hair? I wouldn't mind the occasional help with tucking in a tag on my blouse, but it makes me feel weird that she's always finding something to pick off my clothing or skin, such as a loose eyelash on my cheek, or piece of lint or thread on my hair or clothes. 全文の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。

effectively のコンマの後ろas almost~in Britain.をお願いします。コンマの前はできればで構いません。 The complexities of the English language are such that even native speakers cannot always communicate effectively , as almost every American learns on his first day in Britain.

• 和訳

それぞれ異なる話題の英文です。 All languages change all the time. It is not very well understood why this is the case, but it's a universal characteristic of human language. The only languages that don't change are those like Latin, which nobody speaks. Languages change their pronunciations through time. Five hundred years ago, all English speakers pronounced k in know ー now nobody does. Grammatical structures also change. English speakers used to say, Saw you my son? Now people say, Did you see my son? But the most obvious way in which languages change is in the usage and meaning of words. こちらは、英文自体の意味は多少分かるのですが、内容を考えると、この文が何を言っているのかいまいち良く分かりません。 (1) Culture is the knowledge we pass on from one to anotherーour speech, belief, customs, ways of doing thingsーanything that isn't wholly instinctive. (2) We are born relatively underdeveloped as compared with other mammals, and we require a long period both of physical dependence on adult caretakers and of learning survival skills that are appropriate to the context in which we live. (3) Human survival has depended on nur passing on not only ways of doing things that are useful in our immediate environment but also ways of thinking about what we do that are transferable to other settings. (4) 以下の文が(1)~(4)のいづれかに入ります。 ・Learning is intimately bound up with human culture. ・The story of human learning is, then, a story of the individual learning to survive within a culture.

• 以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。

全ての言語において発音は勿論 と途中まで訳したのですがa matter of familiarity mingled with prejuduce.の部分が見当が付きません。 In all languages pronunciation is of course largely a matter of familiarity mingled with prejuduce.

• 和訳お願いします(>_<)

和訳お願いします(>_<) Is there plenty of time available for language learning to take place, plenty of contact with proficient speakers of the language? Does the learner receive corrective feedback when he or she uses the wrong word, or does the listener usually try to guess the intended meaning? お願いします(>_<)

• 英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトでやってもわかりづらかったので質問しました。 The first trial interview i had when I started this study was with an old man whose situation suggested the assumption might be right. He was an old widower of seventy-six years of age who lived alone in two rooms on the third floor of a block of tenement flats. His wife had died two years previously and he had no children. He was a very thin, large-boned man with a high-domed forehead and a permanent stoop. His frayed waistcoat and trousers hung in folds. At the time of calling, 5.30 pm, he was having his first meal of the day, a hot-pot of mashed peas and ham washed down with a pint of tea from a large mug. The lining-room was dilapidated, with old black-out curtains covering the windows, crockery placed on newspapers, and piles of old magazines tucked under the chairs. In one corner of the room by an open fireplace (a kitchener) stood a broken meat-safe with scraps of food inside. There was a photo of his wife in her twenties on the mantel-piece tonight with one of a barmaid and a pin-up from a Sunday paper. His wife's coat still hung on a hook on the door and her slippers were tidily placed in the hearth.

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりにくい部分があったので… 誤字はないと思います。 The first trial interview i had when I started this study was with an old man whose situation suggested the assumption might be right. He was an old widower of seventy-six years of age who lived alone in two rooms on the third floor of a block of tenement flats. His wife had died two years previously and he had no children. He was a very thin, large-boned man with a high-domed forehead and a permanent stoop. His frayed waistcoat and trousers hung in folds. At the time of calling, 5.30 pm, he was having his first meal of the day, a hot-pot of mashed peas and ham washed down with a pint of tea from a large mug. The lining-room was dilapidated, with old black-out curtains covering the windows, crockery placed on newspapers, and piles of old magazines tucked under the chairs. In one corner of the room by an open fireplace (a kitchener) stood a broken meat-safe with scraps of food inside. There was a photo of his wife in her twenties on the mantel-piece tonight with one of a barmaid and a pin-up from a Sunday paper. His wife's coat still hung on a hook on the door and her slippers were tidily placed in the hearth.

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! At the southwest corner the Basilica, perhaps a law-court and stock-market combined, can be dated on the basis of its architectural detail and First-Style plasterwork, in which are cut graffiti in the Oscan alphabet, to the second half of the second century. To the north of this the Temple of Apollo, with a dedicatory inscription in Oscan set in its pavement, already existed on the forum’s western flank. At the south end may have stood administrative buildings, precursors of the trio in existence in 79. It is even possible that the Temple of Jupiter, whether dedicated to the Capitoline deity of the Romans or to some other, already overlooked the piazza from the north. On the southern edge of the city an enclave of buildings of Greek character. The so-called Triangular Forum with its Doric temple of the sixth century BC already formed a religious precinct. Adjacent to it was the large theatre, built during the second century BC.

• 和訳お願いします。

I started studying Japanese language in 1974, in a Tokyo university with many other foreign students. Although the tests and lessons were well-designed, I was soon quite frustrated and dissatisfied with my progress in that situation. Most of my classmates were also non-Japanese, so the dangerous tendency was to speak in English or French outside of classes. Except for the small number who wanted to "brush up their English," the normal Japanese students refused to associate with the illiterate foreigners. I soon found that I had gravitated to a small group of Koreans and Hawaiians, who agreed to speak only in Japanese. However, I felt that my Japanese was not likely to improve much without native speakers as models. I was depressed by the number of Americans concerned only with obtaining as much money, sex, marijuana, or media-coverage as they could obtain during their year in Japan, rather than really trying to appreciate the culture in which they were guests. So I began to look around for a more isolated university which would admit and teach Japanese to foreigners, but without the problems of Tokyo's "international set."