admitの使い方について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • NHKの語学番組「ニュースで英会話」の一文において、三菱自動車が燃費データをねつ造したことを認めたという表現があります。
  • 「admit to」の形で使われた「to」は、動詞「admit」の直後にくる目的語を表し、その後に続く動名詞または名詞を認める、白状するという意味を強調します。
  • 例えば、「He admitted having stolen the money.」という文では、自分がその金を盗んだことを認めています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

admitの使い方について

お世話になります。 以下NHKの語学番組「ニュースで英会話」の一文です。 But then, the scandal at Mitsubishi erupted last month, when its officials admitted to fabricating fuel consumption data for four of its models. (訳:ところが、それから三菱自動車でのスキャンダルが先月噴出して、三菱自動車は4車種で燃費データをねつ造したことを認めました。) この最後の方に admit toとありますが、このtoは一体何でしょうか。というか必要なものなのでしょうか。その後ろのfabricating はfabricate(捏造する)の動名詞だと思いますので、toは要らないのではと思っています。 weblio辞書などの例文でも、 He admitted having stolen the money. 彼は自分がその金を盗んだと白状した. He admitted the truth of the account. 彼はその話が真実であると認めた. のようにtoは入っていません。 このtoが何であるかお分かりになる方教えていただければと思います。 何卒よろしくお願い申し上げます。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

admit は語源的にも to 場所と相性がよく、 admit 人 to 場所で「人が~へ入るのを許す」という表現もあり、 自動詞で admit to 場所「ドア・門などが~へ通じる」という自動詞表現があります。 そして、同じように自動詞として admit to 名詞、admit to ~ing で 「~(すること)を認める」という表現もあります。 weblio にこのことも載っていると思います。 でも普通にはおっしゃるように to がない方が普通です。

dataplus
質問者

お礼

良く見ると、weblioにも載っていましたね。でも理解力がないので、わかっていませんでしたが、自動詞的用法があるんですね。 教えていただいてありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

日本語でも「~を認める」でもいいし、「~について認める」でもいいように、to はまあ、あってもなくてもいいものです。 大抵の辞書に admit (to) ~ing のように書いてあったります。 Longman admit (to) doing something Dana admitted feeling hurt by what I had said. Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary 1. [intransitive, transitive] admit (to somebody) (that…) to agree, often unwillingly, that something is true synonym:confess It was a stupid thing to do, I admit. (+ speech): ‘I'm very nervous,’ she admitted reluctantly. (admit to something):Don't be afraid to admit to your mistakes. (admit to doing something):She admits to being strict with her children. (admit something):He admitted all his mistakes. 2. [intransitive, transitive] to say that you have done something wrong or illegal synonym:confess (admit to something):He refused to admit to the other charges. (admit to doing something):She admitted to having stolen the car. (admit something):She admitted theft. Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary to agree that you did something bad, or that something bad is true: [+ doing sth] Both men admitted taking illegal drugs. [+ to + doing sth] She admitted to stealing the keys. ジーニアス (正式))〔…を〕(事実であると)認める(confess)〔to〕∥ freely [openly] admit 率直に認める/ I admittedted to stealing [being a fool]. 私は盗んだ[自分が愚かな]ことを認めた 《◆bの意では他動詞構文( →|他| 1)の方が好まれる》.

dataplus
質問者

お礼

>日本語でも「~を認める」でもいいし、「~について認める」でもいいように、to はまあ、あってもなくてもいいものです。 大抵の辞書に admit (to) ~ing のように書いてあったります。 わかりやすいご説明ありがとうございます。 ベストアンサーにできなくてすみませんが、とても役に立ちました。

関連するQ&A

• 時制の一致?

以下の文で、なぜadmittedとはならないのでしょうか。解説お願いいたします。 The ancient Babylonians celebrated by forcing their king to give up his crown and royal clothing. They made him get down on his knees and admit all the mistakes he had made during the past year.

• 和訳お願いします

So is there any truth to the supposed curse? Richard Kurin is the author of a book about the Hope Diamond. He rejects the idea of a curse. He believes the curse could be may just be waiting for its next victim...

• 英語の意味を教えてください。

If your are comfortable with the security conditions in your neighborhood and it would be acceptable and safe for the UPS driver to leave your package at your door without being signed for, then choose "Ok to leave at my location without being signed for" Otherwise, choose "Someone will sign for this when delivered". The courier will not leave the package unless it is signed for. We are not responsible for costs of packages returned to us that were never signed for or pickup up by the addressee. Note: If you choose to not have the package signed for and its lost or stolen from your property, its your responsibility. Once its been delivered and a tracking number shows it delivered to your location, its out of our hands.

• どのような意味でしょうか

After many hours of crying and shouting he admitted to me that he and this person have engaged in sexual contact. I'm crushed! This is the love of my life! I would never have suspected cheating from him! He said he had to get his curiosity out of his system before he asked me to marry him this summer. get his curiosity out of his systemとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語に訳してほしいです

He made his contributions to the CGI in recognition of its excellent work. お願いします(>_<)

• 現在形の文で過去完了がはいることもありますか。

He says the country must send its rescue team to that country to help the relief operation, considering the fact that its financial contricbution at the time of the Gulf War had been interpreted as checkbook dipomacy. と言う文があるのですが、had been はどのように理解したらいいのですか。過去の一定の期間と言うことで過去完了なのでしょうか。 以前He says he lived in the States for 10 years. のような文はsayの後、決してhe had livedにはならないと聞いたことがあるのですが。 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語翻訳

The professor said there are two things which parents all over the world should do : first, they should limit the number of offspring to help reduce birthrates to head off a global population explosion ; second, they should cut down on thier consumption and the amount of garbage they produce. These efforts, he added, are needed not for the benefit of others but for self-defense. 日本語訳してほしいです。出来るだけ正確にお願いします

• ちょっと長いですが、和訳お願いします。3文ともに続いています。

ちょっと長いですが、和訳お願いします。3文ともに続いています。 The state's interest inschools reached its ultimate expression in T'ai-tsu's proclamation for the establishment of village schools everywhere. The purpose of this, no doubt went beyond the simple recruiting of officials and implied a wish to extend the civilizing force of education to the whole rural population, an aim which revealed an impulse in T'ai-tsu, the man of the people, to affect all of the people more profoundly than government had tried to do before. In this he overreached himself, as the idea of the schools languished in the absence of state money to support them. they persisted in name in many place, but there is no evidence of a revolution in popular education.

• 和訳お願いします

His comments echo the tone adopted by Wen Jiabao, premier, last week when he admitted the government had some work to do but that he wanted to create an envIronment that encouraged investment. Mr Wen and other officials have highlighted official statistics that show foreign direct investment(FDI) in China has been growing rapidly this year and is expected to exceed $100bn this year, up from around $90bn last year. But 60 per cent of foreign inveatment to China last yaer came through Hong Kong and analysts say these figures provide little guidance about the international appetite for investing in China. 日本語にどう訳したらいいのでしょうか。お助けください。

• 和訳教えてください

The town may be his place of business, a necessary evil; but the country is this place of relaxation and repose. He may slave in the town for six days out of seven - though today it is more likely to be five days out of seven. But for the week-end - if only he can get fair weather - he chooses the country with its peace and freedom. 和訳教えてください。よろしくお願いします!!