The Dark Glasses: A Mysterious Encounter

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In Muriel Spark's novel, The Dark Glasses, a young girl recalls a strange encounter at an eye test where she felt sexually uncomfortable.
  • She describes how Mr. Simmonds, the optician, put his arm around her shoulder and touched her neck while his sister, Dorothy Simmonds, watched in silence.
  • Feeling in the wrong, the girl begins to look around the dark room with a wide-eyed air, unsure of what to do.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. ここの、 I felt sexually in the wrongとはどういう意味合いですか? in the wrongとはどういうことを言いたかったのでしょうか? (主人公の女の子は何も悪くはないと思うのですが) また、 and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air.の個所の with a wide-eyed airという表現は(主人公の状態として)どんなことを表しているのでしょうか? 小説なので書いている表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが 教えていただけると幸いです。 前文は I was sent to have my eyes tested. He took me into the darkened interior and said, "Sit down, dear." He put his arm round my shoulder. His forefinger moved up and down on my neck. I was thirteen and didn't like to be rude to him. Dorothy Simmonds, his sister, came downstairs just then; she came upon us silently and dressed in a white overall. Before she had crossed the room to switch on a dim light Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence. となっています。 (お手数をおかけしてしまってすみません) he(Mr Simmonds)=検眼士です。 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.1

1。I felt sexually in the wrongとはどういう意味合いですか?  下記のように「間違って」という意味です。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=in+the+wrong 2。in the wrongとはどういうことを言いたかったのでしょうか?  「性的に間違っている」すなわち、性的に誘惑しているのは主人公の女の子ではなくて、検眼士のシモンズの方だったのだが、それが「誤解されている」と感じた、ということでしょう。 3。with a wide-eyed airという表現は(主人公の状態として)どんなことを表しているのでしょうか?  下記のように「目を大きく開いて」、「びっくりして」と言うのが字義通りの意味ですが。暗くした部屋では目を大きくするという意味と、目の検査中で、瞳孔が開いている、といううまい意味上の重なりが感じられます。  それと、私から誘惑するなんて私まだ13の少女よ、と性的な無邪気さを強調してドロシーの疑いを消そうとする多少芝居がかったカマトト風驚きも加わっていると思います。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=wide-eyed

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

よくわかりました! ご解説、ありがとうございます。 13歳の主人公の女の子の気持ちと行為について、なるほどと思いました。 リンクのページもありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

小説の描写ですから、このように解釈しなければならないとか、このように解釈するのが正しいとかいうふうに押し付けるのは感心しないので、あくまでも私の解釈、私はこう読んだというだけのこととして回答してみます。 > I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air.  語り手は男性かと思って読んでいましたが、あぁ、女の子ですか。それなら分かりやすいです。  I felt sexually in the wrong は 「わたしは自分で彼を誘惑したかのように感じた」 といった意味に取れます。「性的に悪い」 とは、この場合は、「誘惑した」 という意味合いを含んでいます。  wide-eyed air は 「大きく目をあけた態度で」 ということですが、首筋に指を触れられた感触が快いものであるかのように目を細めていたのかもしれません。それを 我に返った ようにシャンとした気持ちに戻したということです。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

I felt sexually in the wrong は「誘惑した」という意味合いを含んでいるんですね。 (語り手、主人公は女の子です) wide-eyed air のところもご解説ありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー ●row after row of lettersのところはどうやって読むのでしょうか? ●Mr Simmonds' jokeというのは、主人公の女の子が字が読めないなら、と言って(検眼のときに)文字ではなく絵を見せたことですか? 前文は I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。

We went into the examination room. She glided past me and switched on the dim light above the letter card. I began to read out the letters while Basil Simmonds stood with folded hands. Someone came into the front shop. Miss Simmonds slid off to see who it was and her brother tickled my neck. I read on. He drew me towards him. I put my hand into my blazer pocket. He said, "Oh!" and sprang away as the hat-pin struck through my blazer and into his thigh.   Miss Simmonds appeared in the doorway in her avenging white overall. Her brother, who had been rubbing his thigh in a puzzled way, pretended to be dusting a mark off the front of his trousers. "What's wrong? Why did you shout?" she said. "No, I didn't shout." Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Basil Simmondsは検眼士です。 主人公の女の子が検眼している場面です。 --------------------------------- ●Miss Simmonds appeared in the doorway in her avenging white overall.のin her avenging white overallの個所はどのように意味を理解して読むのでしょうか? avengingは復讐する、という意味ですか? ●Her brother, who had been rubbing his thigh in a puzzled way, pretended to be dusting a mark off the front of his trousers.のpretended to be dusting a mark off the front of his trousersについて教えてください。 pretended to be dusting ~は「~を払っているふりをする」? a markは印を? offはdustingと繋がって意味をとるのでしょうか?(dust a mark offで「印を払う」ですか?) front of his trousersは「彼のズボンの前で」? 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は I broke the glasses by sitting on them during my school holidays two years later.   My grandmother said, after she had sighed, "It's time you had your eyes tested--" "--eyes tested in any case," said my aunt when she had sighed.   I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it. Next morning at eleven I walked down to Mr Simmonds's with one of my grandmother's long hat-pins in my blazer pocket. The shop front had been done up, with gold lettering on the glass door: Basil Simmonds, Optician, followed by a string of letters which, so far as I remember, were FBOA, AIC, and others. You're quite the young lady, Joan," he said, looking at my new breasts.   I smiled and put my hand in my blazer pocket.   He was smaller than he had been two years ago. I thought he must be about fifty or thirty. His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints. Miss Simmonds appeared silently in her soft slippers. "You're quite the young lady, Joan," she said from behind her green glasses, for her right eye had now gone blind and the other was said to be troubling her. となっています。

Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 -------------------------------------------------------------- 一番最後の As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. の個所の ●I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds"というのは 主人公のどういう心境を表しているのでしょうか? うまく掴めません。 ●and feared their authority, and was in the wrong.のauthority(権威)とはどういう意味なのでしょうか? 小説の前の方から読んでいないとわかりにくいと思いますが、教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は "What are you doing?" she said. He jumped up and pulled the blotting paper over his work. Her one eye through her green glasses glinted upon him, though I did not actually see it do so, but saw only the dark green glass focused with a squint on to his face. "I'm making up the accounts," he said, standing with his back to the desk, concealing the papers. I saw his hand reach back and tremble among them. "I shivered in my soaking wet clothes. Dorothy looked with her eye at the window. I slid sideways to avoid her and ran all the way home. Next morning I said. "I've tried to read with these glasses. It's all a blur. I suppose I'll have to take them back?" "Didn't you notice anything wrong when you tried---" "---tried them on in the shop?" "No. But the shop's so dark. Must I take them back?" I took them into Mr Simmonds early that afternoon. "I tried to read with them this morning, but it's all a blur." It was true that I had smeared them with cold cream first. となっています。

”You're quite the young lady, Joan," he said, looking at my new breasts.   I smiled and put my hand in my blazer pocket.   He was smaller than he had been two years ago. I thought he must be about fifty or thirty. His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints. Miss Simmonds appeared silently in her soft slippers. "You're quite the young lady, Joan," she said from behind her green glasses, for her right eye had now gone blind and the other was said to be troubling her. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 he=Mr Simmondsは検眼士です。 13歳だった主人公の女の子が2年経って再びSimmondsさんのお店を訪れた場面です。 ----------------------------------- His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints.の his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paintsがわからないのですが、 as fromを辞書で引くと ・・・から(法律・契約など正式な日付に用いる)とありました。 この英文の場合には意味的に当てはまらない感じなのですが どのように訳すのでしょうか? 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 前文は I broke the glasses by sitting on them during my school holidays two years later.   My grandmother said, after she had sighed, "It's time you had your eyes tested--" "--eyes tested in any case," said my aunt when she had sighed.   I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it. Next morning at eleven I walked down to Mr Simmonds's with one of my grandmother's long hat-pins in my blazer pocket. The shop front had been done up, with gold lettering on the glass door: Basil Simmonds, Optician, followed by a string of letters which, so far as I remember, were FBOA, AIC, and others. となっています。

"The mother bedridden all these years and worth a fortune. But what good is it to her?" "What chance is there for Miss Simmonds now, with that eye?" "She'll get the money. He will get the bare legal minimum only." "No, they say he's to get everything. In trust." "I believe Mrs Simmonds has left everything to her daughter." My grandmother said, "She should divide her fortune---" "---equally between them," said my aunt. "Fair's fair." I invented for myself a recurrent scene in which brother and sister emerged from their mother's room and, on the narrow landing, allowed their gaze to meet in unspoken combat over their inheritance. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Miss Simmondsと"he"は姉弟です。( Mrs Simmonds<the mother>は二人の母親です) 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 ---------------------------------------------------- ところどころ意味がわからないのですが、 ● the bare legal minimumのbareはどういう意味ですか? ● In trust・・・委託して? ●Fair's fair・・・公平の公平?どういう意味でしょうか? ●on the narrow landing・・・狭い踊り場の上で? ● allowed their gaze to meet in unspoken combat over their inheritance. ここはどうやって訳すのでしょうか? 前文は For the rest of the holidays I thought of him as "Basil", and by asking questions and taking more interest than usual in the conversation around me I formed an idea of his private life. "Dorothy," I speculated, "and Basil." I let my mind dwell on them until I saw a picture of the rooms above the shop. I hung round at tea-time and, in order to bring the conversation round to Dorothy and Basil, told our visitors I had been to get my eyes tested. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

I saw Dr Gray leaving the Simmonds at six o'clock one evening. She must have been calling on poor Miss Simmonds. She noticed me at once as I emerged from the lane. "Don't loiter about, Joan. It's getting chilly." The next evening I saw a light in the office window. I stood under the tree and looked. Dr Gray sat upon the desk with her back to me, quite close. Mr Simmonds sat in his chair talking to her, tilting back his chair. A bottle of sherry stood on the table. They each had a glass half-filled with sherry. Dr Gray swung her legs, she was in the wrong, sexy, like our morning help who sat on the kitchen table swinging her legs. But then she spoke. "It will take time," she said. "A very difficult patient, of course." Basil nodded. Dr Gray swung her legs, and looked professional. She was in the right, she looked like our games mistress who sometimes sat on a desk swinging her legs. Before I returned to school I saw Basil one morning at his shop door, "Reading glasses all right now?" he said. "Oh yes, thank you." "There's nothing wrong with your sight. Don't let your imagination run away with you." I walked on, certain that he had known my guilty suspicions all along. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公(Joan)は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Miss SimmondsはMr Simmonds (検眼士)の姉です。 Miss Simmondsが誤ってatropineという薬を点眼してしまい、失明の危機に陥っているところです。 -------------------------------------------------------------- ●Dr Gray swung her legs, she was in the wrong, in the wrongを辞書で引くと「間違って」とありました。 グレイ医師は足を揺らし、間違っていた。というのはどういう意味でしょうか? 教えてください。お願いします。 前文は "Dr Gray says if you switch from eserine to atropine--" It was put down to an accident. There was a strong hope that Miss Simmonds's one eye would survive. It was she who had made up the prescription. She refused to discuss it. I said, "The bottle may have been tampered with, have you thought of that?" "Joan's been reading books." The last week of my holidays old Mrs Simmonds died above the shop and left all her fortune to her daughter. At the same time I got tonsillitis and could not return to school. I was attended by our woman doctor, the widow of the town's former doctor who had quite recently died. This was the first time I had seen Dr Gray, although I had known the other Dr Gray, her husband, whom I missed. The new Dr Gray was a sharp-faced athletic woman. She was said to be young. She came to visit me every day for a week. After consideration I decided she was normal and in the right, though dull. となっています。

She looked at me, then returned to attend to the person in the shop, leaving the intervening door wide open. She was back again almost immediately. My examination was soon over. Mr Simmonds saw me out at the front door and gave me pleading unhappy look. I felt like a traitor and I considered him horrible. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmondsは検眼士です。(she=Mr Simmondsの姉) 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 --------------------------------- I felt like a traitor とあるのですがtraitorは”裏切り者”でしょうか? (horribleは”ひどく嫌な”?主人公がMr Simmondsをそう思うのはわかるのですが) なぜ主人公が自分のことをそのように感じたのかがわかりません。 前文は :(主人公が検眼にMr Simmondsのお店を訪れた場面です) You're quite the young lady, Joan," he said, looking at my new breasts.   I smiled and put my hand in my blazer pocket.   He was smaller than he had been two years ago. I thought he must be about fifty or thirty. His face was more freckled than ever and his eyes were flat blue as from a box of paints. Miss Simmonds appeared silently in her soft slippers. "You're quite the young lady, Joan," she said from behind her green glasses, for her right eye had now gone blind and the other was said to be troubling her. We went into the examination room. She glided past me and switched on the dim light above the letter card. I began to read out the letters while Basil Simmonds stood with folded hands. Someone came into the front shop. Miss Simmonds slid off to see who it was and her brother tickled my neck. I read on. He drew me towards him. I put my hand into my blazer pocket. He said, "Oh!" and sprang away as the hat-pin struck through my blazer and into his thigh.   Miss Simmonds appeared in the doorway in her avenging white overall. Her brother, who had been rubbing his thigh in a puzzled way, pretended to be dusting a mark off the front of his trousers. "What's wrong? Why did you shout?" she said. "No, I didn't shout." となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

My grandmother said, "Did you see--" "--Mr Simmonds' sister?" said my aunt. "Yes, she was there all the time," I said, to make it definite. My grandmother said, "They say she's going---" "---blind in one eye," said my aunt. "And with the mother bedridden upstairs---" my grandmother said. "---she must be a saint," said my aunt. Presently--it may have been within a few days or a few weeks--my reading glasses arrived, and I wore them whenever I remembered to do so. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (主人公は13歳の女の子です) Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ・ "---she must be a saint," (彼女は聖人であるに違いない?) このセリフはどういう意味ですか? sheはMr Simmonds' sisterのことですか? ☆"眼鏡をかける"、を英文にしたときwearとput onのどちらを使っても違いはないのでしょうか?よく使われるのはwearの方ですか? 前文は "Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。

I broke the glasses by sitting on them during my school holidays two years later.   My grandmother said, after she had sighed, "It's time you had your eyes tested--" "--eyes tested in any case," said my aunt when she had sighed.   I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it. Next morning at eleven I walked down to Mr Simmonds's with one of my grandmother's long hat-pins in my blazer pocket. The shop front had been done up, with gold lettering on the glass door: Basil Simmonds, Optician, followed by a string of letters which, so far as I remember, were FBOA, AIC, and others. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は女の子です。 --------------------------------------------- ● I washed my hair the night before and put a wave in it.について ウェーブを髪にかけた、ということですか? wavesという複数形になっていないのはなぜなのでしょうか? ● Mr Simmonds'sのところが、Mr Simmonds'となっていないのはどうしてなのでしょうか?   教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

"That seems to be all right," Mr Simmonds said. "But wait a moment." He produced some coloured slides with lettering on them. Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs. Plainly, she knew I had lost my attraction for her brother. But before she turned the bend in the stairs she stooped and came down again. She went to a row of shelves and shifted some bottles. I read on. She interrupted: "My eye-drops, Basil. I made them up this morning. Where are they?" Mr Simmonds was suddenly watching her as if something inconceivable was happening. "Wait, Dorothy. Wait till I've tested the girl's eyes." She had lifted down a small brown bottle. "I want my eye-drops. I wish you wouldn't displace--Are these they?" I noted her correct phrase, "Are these they?" and it seemed just over the border of correctness. Perhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 ---------------------------------------------------------- ●Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs.のone who washes her hands of a personとはどういう意味ですか? ●最後の行の方にあるit seemed just over the border of correctness.とはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? (itはAre these they?のセリフの部分を指していると思うのですが、それがどうしてjust over the border of correctnessと思われたのかわかりません) ●一番最後に主人公が2人の姉弟に対してPerhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong.と思っているのですが、この根拠がよくわかりません。 小説を前から読んでいないと大変わかりにくいかと思いますが、教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. となっています。