The Interaction of Art and History: Exploring Art History as an Academic Field

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Art history and the interaction between art and history are often discussed as separate entities, but is there a distinction to be made?
  • Histories of art can focus on style or the work in relation to the artist's biography, which imposes expectations of progressive history on the visual.
  • Putting art in the driving seat means shifting the focus of inquiry towards art itself, allowing for a deeper understanding of the complex strands that make up art history.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文のわからない個所を教えてください。

<1>Is there then a distinction to be made between the interaction of art and history, and art history? <2>That is to say that histories of art can have a single focus on style or the work in relation to the biography of the artist, where our expectations of a progressive history are inflicted on the visual. <3> What I am suggesting here is that we turn the question on its head and put art in the driving seat, so to speak. <4>By using art as our starting point we can see the complex and intertwined strands that make up art history. This implies that art history is a subject or academic field of enquiry in its own right, rather than the result of the rules of one discipline being applied to another. <私の訳とわからない点> <1>さらにまた芸術と歴史、芸術史の相互作用の間に作られる区別(特徴)はありますか? between ~は「art and history」と「art history」の相互作用の間、といっているのでしょうか? それとも「the interaction of art and history」がひとくくりなのでしょうか? <2>すなわち芸術の歴史は、様式やもしくは芸術家の伝記に関連する作品にに一つの焦点を持つことができ、そこで進歩的な歴史を私たちが期待することは視覚に負っているのです。 whereは関係副詞で、前文を受けているのでしょうか? inflictの単語の意味合いから言うと「視覚」が期待を負うということは大変なことだという感じなのでしょうか? <3>私がここで提案していることは、言わば、私たちが疑問をその(主要な)論点に向けて、芸術を運転座席に置くことです。 its headのitsはthe questionでheadは(主要な)論点でしょうか? put art in the driving seatの比喩的な表現の意味がよくわからないのですが、芸術に主導権を握らせる、みたいな感じでしょうか? <4>私たちの出発点としての芸術を用いることによって、私たちは芸術史を作っている複雑に絡み合っている鎖を理解することができます。これは芸術史が他に適用された一つの秩序の法則の結果というよりもむしろ、それ自身の権利における、主題、もしくは研究学術分野であることを意味します。 anotherは「他に」ですか?「もう一つの」、とすると意味がとれませんでした。 (the result of the rules of one discipline being applied to anotherの意味をとるのが難しいです) its own rightのrightは「権利」でしょうか? (上記の文章のあと以下の文章が続きます。) I return to this point on a regular basis in this book. I aim to set out how histories of art have been constructed, to describe the ways in which we have been encouraged to think about art as a result, and also to introduce other ways of thinking about the visual in terms of its history. 長くなってしまってすみません。よろしくお願い致します。 『ART HISTORY--History as progression』:Dana Arnold

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数11

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

<4> right は「権利」ですが、in its own right で「自分の権利で」→ 「生まれつきの権利で、本来の資質で、自分だけで」のような意味です。 another についてですが、「他の」も「もう一つの」も同じです。 the other なら「残りの1つ(特に二者のうち、1つとった)」 another は残りの任意の1つ とわかることがすべてです。 one after another のような慣用表現もそこに戻ること。 あと、one dicipline に対して another (dicipline) です。

quartet_vvvc
質問者

お礼

rightとanotherについてのご解説ありがとうございます。 <1>~<4>までの質問にすべて回答いただいてありがとうございました。 わからなかったところがよくわかりました。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

its はおっしゃるように question です。 on ~'s head で「頭で(立つ)」で逆立ちを意味します。 だから、turn the question on its head で、 「問題を逆に向ける、別の視点で見る」ということです。 put art in the driving seat はおっしゃるように 芸術に主導権を握らせる、ということです。

quartet_vvvc
質問者

お礼

turn the question on its headは 「問題を逆に向ける、別の視点で見る」ということなのですね。 これは英文を読んだ時全然わかりませんでした。

回答No.2

<2> where は関係副詞で、こういう , where は「(そして)そこでは」と訳せばいいです。 しかし、, which のような前の文を受ける用法はなく、 「そこ」というのは the work in relation to the biography of the artist のことでしょう。

quartet_vvvc
質問者

お礼

関係副詞のwhereは前文を受ける用法はないのですね。 わかりました。ありがとうございます。

回答No.1

<1>芸術と歴史の相互作用と、芸術史の間 ですね。 >「the interaction of art and history」がひとくくり です。 内容的にもぴったりですし、(art and history) と art history の間の相互作用として、 そもそも art and history でまとまる意味がありません。

quartet_vvvc
質問者

お礼

よくわかりました、ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の訳がとれない個所を教えてください。

It is important to discuss what kind of archive art history can draw upon, as the range of material used to construct these histories extends well beyond the works themselves. For instance, history has its documents, written records of the past; archaeology focuses on the material record, physical remains of the past; whilst anthropology looks to social rituals and cultural practices as a way of understanding past and present peoples. Art history can draw upon all these archives in addition to the primary archive of the artwork. In this way, art history is the stepping stone into various ways of interpreting and understanding the past. この英文の最初の部分の訳がよくわかりません。 It is important to discuss what kind of archive art history can draw upon, as the range of material used to construct these histories extends well beyond the works themselves. どんな種類のアーカイブ(記録保管所、公文書、古記録?)に、芸術史は頼る?(draw upon)ことができるかを議論することは重要です。 これらの歴史を構成するために使われる材料の範囲が、作品(研究?)それ自体を越えてよく広がっているように(として?) as以下はどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? また、used toはここでは過去の習慣や状態を表したものではないのでしょうか? (この英文の前(前節)にある最後の部分です) I aim to set out how histories of art have been constructed, to describe the ways in which we have been encouraged to think about art as a result, and also to introduce other ways of thinking about the visual in terms of its history. よろしくお願い致します。 『ART HISTORY--Evidence and analysis in art history』:Dana Arnold

• 英文のわからない個所を教えてください。

<1>For art to have a history we expect not only a timeless quality but also some kind of sequence or progression, as this is what history leads us to expect. <2>Our history books are full of events in the past that are presented as part of either the continual movement towards improvement, or as stories about great men , or as epochs of time that stand out from others--for instance, the Italian Renaissance or the Enlightenment. <3>In regard to these kinds of frameworks for thinking about the past, the history of art does not disappoint. <4>In the coming together of these two separate strands, we see how history reorders visual experience, making it take a range of forms. <私の訳とわからない点> <1>芸術にとって歴史を持つことは、私たちが時間を超越した品質を期待するばかりでなく、なんらかの連続して起こるものや進歩を期待します。これは歴史が私たちに期待させるものであるように。(これは歴史が期待させつつ?) as this is what history leads us to expectのasの意味の取り方がよくわかりませんでした。 <2>私たちの歴史書は進歩に向かう継続的な動向の一環としても、偉人についての物語としても、他から卓越している時間の時代、例えばイタリアのルネッサンス、啓蒙思想としても描写されている過去の中の出来事で満ちています。 この英文の構造がわかりません。 as part of either the continual movement~のeitherがなぜこの位置に入っているのか。as part ofにかかるのはthe continual movement towards improvement、stories about great men、epochs of time that stand out from othersになるのか。 <3>過去について考えることに対するこれらの種類の枠組みに関して、芸術の歴史は失望させません。 <4>これらの二つの別々の要素が一体となっている中で、形の範囲をとらせながら、私たちはどのように歴史が視覚経験を再び整理するのかを理解します。 these two separate strandsのtwoは何を指しているのでしょうか?前述のas~に関連しているようにも思うのですが、twoと書かれているので?です。 eitherの個所がもっと理解できるとわかるような気がするのですが。 *この英文の後には以下の英文が続きます。 The most popular of these include writing about the history of art from the point of view of artists--usually ’great men’. Alternatively, we find art historians have sought to define the great stylistic epochs in the history of art, for example the Renaissance, Baroque, or Post-Impressionism. Each of these traditions can be written about independently of the others and they have provided a backbone for histories of art. 『ART HISTORY--History as progression』:Dana Arnold

• 英文のわからない個所を教えてください。

<1>The problem with concentrating on formal elements such as style is that style itself becomes the subject of discussion rather than the works of art. <2>As we become preoccupied with marking out stylistic changes, we have to use our knowledge of what came after the work under discussion. <3>The benefit of hindsight is essential here--how else could we know that the beginnings of an interest in nature and naturalism in the art of Early Renaissance Italy prefigured the consummate achievements of artists of the High Renaissance in this regard? <4>Working backwards from the present imposes a line of development of which the outcome is already known. In this way, tracks or routes through the art of the past can favour certain styles--this is certainly the case with classical art and its reinterpretations. <私の訳とわからない点> <1>スタイルのように形式的な要素に集中する問題は、スタイルそれ自身が芸術作品よりむしろ、議題になるということです。 ここでのstyleというのは"文体"でしょうか? (次にstylisticと出てくるので"文体"ではないかと思うのですが。) <2>私たちが文体の変化を特徴づけることに夢中になるとき、何が議論のもとで作品に続いたのかという知識を使う必要があります。 冒頭のAsは同時進行の意味を持つasでしょうか? what came after the work under discussion・・・・what何が、came after続いた、the work under discussion議論のもとで作品に? この<2>の内容がよく掴めません。 <3>後になっての判断の利益はここでは必要不可欠です。他にどうやって私たちは自然に対する興味を持つ始まりと、イタリア早期ルネサンスの芸術の自然主義が、その際盛期ルネサンスの芸術家の完全な達成をあらかじめ示したことを知り得ることができたというのでしょうか? The benefit of hindsight is essential はどういうことを述べているのでしょうか? The benefit of hindsight 後になっての判断の利益?がよくわかりません。 how else could we know ~・・・修辞疑問文ですか? <4>現在から後ろへ働きかけることは結果がすでにわかっている一連の発達を強いることなのです。このように過去の芸術を通して道筋と手段は、ある一定のスタイルを支持することができます。これは確かに古典芸術とその再解釈のケースです。 a line of development of which the outcome is already known. 結果がすでにわかっている一連の発達ですか?それを impose強いるとは?また、developmentの意味が掴みにくいです。 全体的にどんなことを言っているのかがわかりません。 質問が多くなってしまいましたが、よろしくお願いいたします。 *訳例を示していただくだけでも構いません。 『ART HISTORY--History as progression』:Dana Arnold

• 英文の訳のとり方を教えてください。

The fact that our taste is culturally determined is something of which we have to be aware, and this crops up throughout this book. Here, though, it is important to think about the social dimension of taste as having more to do with art as a process of social exclusion--we are meant to feel intimidated if we don't know who the artist is, or worse still if we don't feel emotionally moved through the 'exquisiteness' of the work. We have all read or heard the unmistakable utterances of these connoisseurs. But luckily their world does not belong to art history. この英文の二番目のセンテンスのas~asの個所がよくわからないのですが、 as~as・・・で、「・・・のように~」もしくは「・・・と同様~」と意味をとるのでしょうか? a process of social exclusion 社会的な排斥の過程? having more to do with art 芸術を用いてもっとすることを持つ? この二つをつなげて it is important to think about the social dimension of taste as having more to do with art as a process of social exclusionを訳すと "社会的な排斥の過程(工程?)と同様に芸術を用いてもっとすることを持っている観賞力の社会的重要性について考えることは重要である"、ですか? 意味が掴めない感じです。 また、 we are meant to feel intimidated if we don't know who the artist is, or worse still if we don't feel emotionally moved through the 'exquisiteness' of the work.について "私たちはもしその芸術家が誰なのか知らなかったり、さらにもっと悪いことにその作品の洗練されたものを通して情緒的に駆り立てられないならばぞっとすることになっている" と訳したのですが are meant to feel intimidated はbe meant to doで、~することになっている、ですか? ぞっとすることになっている、という訳がしっくりこない感じなのですが。 以下は前文になります。 Another aspect of connoisseurship is its relationship to our understanding of taste. A connoisseur's taste in relation to art is considered to be refined and discriminating. Our concept of taste in relation to art is quite complicated, and inevitably it is bound up in our ideas about social class. Let me take a little time to explore this more fully. I have already discussed the practice of art appreciation--art available for all and seen and enjoyed by all. By contrast, connoisseurship imposes a kind of hierarchy of taste. The meaning of taste here is a combination of two definitions of the word: our faculty of making discerning judgements in aesthetic matters, and our sense of what is proper and socially acceptable. But by these definitions taste is both culturally and socially determined , so that what is considered aesthetically 'good' and socially 'acceptable' differs from one culture or society to another. 『ART HISTORY--Connoisseurship』:Dana Arnold

• いくつか英文について質問です

1) it seems odd that so few are prepared to apply some of the same skills in exploring works of art that stimulate another sense altogether: that of smell. 2) And yet, the parallels between what ought to be regarded as sister arts are undeniable. 3) The Old Masters deployed oil paint across the color spectrum, and applied layers on a determining ground and various kinds of underpainting, slowly building up to the surface, completing their work with thin glazes on top. 言いたいことはふわっと分かるのですが、訳をよろしければいただけませんか。 4) They begin to dry, and a ppicture is born. Its appearance changes over time, because the tendency of oil paint is to become gradually more transparent. このtoはどういう用法でしょうか?意味がとれませんでした。 5) So, too, talented "noses" experiment with complex configurations of olfactor elements and produce in symphonic combination many small sensations, at times discordant, sweet, bitter, melancholy, or happy, as the case may be. experiment with は動詞ですか?nosesが実験するのですか...?

• 英文の構造を教えてください。

Can art have a history? We think about art as being timeless, the 'beauty' of its appearance having meaning, significance, and appeal to humankind across the ages. At least this usually applies to our ideas about 'high', or fine, art, in other words painting and sculpture. この英文の、We think about art as being timeless, the 'beauty' of its appearance having meaning, significance, and appeal to humankind across the ages. の文の構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? as以下はbeing timeless,までで切れるのでしょうか?意味もよくとれません。 the beauty of its appearance having ~ ここは独立分詞構文ですか? "私たちは時間を超越しながら芸術について考えます。その外観の美しさは意味と重要性を持ちながら時代を渡って人類に呼びかけます。" と訳したのですが appealしたものはこの場合 meaningと significance なのでしょうか? それともthe beauty of its appearance そのものですか? andの前でコンマがあるのでその辺がわかりにくいです。 またappealが三人称単数形になっていないので、主語がthe 'beauty' of its appearance ではないような気もします。 『ART HISTORY』:Dana Arnold

• 英文で所々分からない箇所があります

お世話になっております。 男性で木の上に住んでる人とか、元軍人のエッセーを読んで来ているせいか、彼女の英文は私にとって”大袈裟”で”飾りっ気”が多く理解しにくいです。 質問1. というのは私の浅学のせいで、このくらいの英文は大袈裟でも何でもなく"普通"なんでしょうか?このくらいの比喩表現を理解出来ないのは、まだまだ私が浅学ということでしょうか? 質問2.下記の英文で feeling my spirit crushed because I will never know what it's like to wake up and start my day in a tiara. 彼女のspirit が打ち砕かれるとのことですが、because 以下との関連がよく分かりません。具体的に説明するとどうなりますか? 質問3.は字数制限で出来ませんので新たな投稿でします。 よろしくお願いいたします。 Essay Another day, another new shopping mall By Jennifer Matsui 今日もショッピングモールがオープン 東京周辺では毎日のように新たなショッピングモールが誕生しているが、 3月下旬、六本木の防衛庁跡地に「東京ミッドタウン」がオープンした。 もうけ主義の開発業者が作り出したこの施設の中で、唯一の救いと言えるのが、 サントリー美術館で展示されている江戸時代の宝物の数々ではないだろうか。 Seldom does a day go by that doesn't herald the opening of yet another retail temple devoted to the gods of shopping, where the faithful go to worship the almighty designer label and overpriced tea salon. It seems like only yesterday that I followed the crowds into Omotesando Hills, window-shopping along with tens of thousands of other drones, looking at everything on display and feeling my spirit crushed because I will never know what it's like to wake up and start my day in a tiara. And just when I thought I had found inner peace without the aid of retail religion, along comes yet another newly opened shopping center with all of the familiar enticements of luxury and convenience. Naturally, this one is no different from Tokyo's other shopping centers, all uniquely designed to frustrate the visitor with their maze-like layouts, where going from A to B requires the skills and stamina of a Sherpa guide. Surrounded by all this, I suddenly fear earthquakes less than the fashion disaster of my own making. I realize that if there was an earthquake and all this concrete and glass were to come crashing down on me, my dying breath would be a prayer that no one notices how cheap my shoes are. Tokyo's new Midtown shopping center, located on the former site of the Defense Agency, is yet another addition to Tokyo's retail jungle. But as far as shopping centers go, it's certainly not the worst of its kind. The curved footbridge, where cars instead of carp can be viewed below, and other distinctly Japanese touches are improvements over the usual bland, pre-fab American-style shopping centers that appeared during the bubble era. Its architects have clearly made an effort to create a sense of harmony with the existing neighborhood. And herein lies the problem. Midtown's seamless inclusion into the Tokyo landscape gives rise to a mind-set that defines "community" and "neighborhood" by the flagship stores bearing the name of a multinational corporation. All this conformity is just another step along the way to creating a society regulated by greedy developers. At some point, I was probably standing on the exact spot where George's bar used to be — a tiny watering hole on the outskirts of Roppongi famous for its Motown-themed decor, and its ageless Mama-san. It's hard to exactly pinpoint the precise location of George's since the wonders of development and "progress" have destroyed every vestige of the past, burying it under a million tons of reinforced steel and concrete. Ironically, the only life within the Midtown mausoleum can be found among the centuries-old treasures on display at the Suntory Museum. Here, visitors can enjoy a welcome break from the rigors of mindless spending. The current exhibition of Edo period treasures, ranging from exquisitely painted folding screens to lacquer incense holders, is a beautiful yet sad reminder of a bygone age before the connoisseur gave way to the consumer. In contrast to the dead relics of the present, these artifacts remind us that real beauty possesses the beholder, rather than the other way around. Shukan ST: May 11, 2007

• 以下の英文を訳してください。困っています

Sculpture begins as a three-dimensional art; that is the ’speciality’it shares with architecture, the art most nearly related to it. But sculpture is solid, whereas architecture is hollow. Architecture becomes more sculptural as it tends to neglect its inner spatial functions, as Greek and Egyption architecture did. Sculpture, on the other hand, is never in any true sense architectural. That is one of the misunderstandings which has led to its undoing. Architecture must have a base-a bed or plinth from which it rises, and to which it is inevitably bound.

• 英文を日本語に訳し、()に入るものを選んでください

So, why is this story so important to Americans? First of all, the story is about the challenge and excitement of a child disobeying a parent`s command, and destroying something treasured by that parent. Moreover, this act of youthful rebellion is committed by George Washington, the "Father of His Country." In this sense, the act is a symbolic one. The child disobeying and defying his father can be seen to represent the young America breaking with the older authority of Europe and, in particular, the English King. The second reason that this story is important to Americans reflects another symbolic meaning of cutting down a tree: the act of civilizing the wilderness. On their arrival in the New York, the trees had to be cut, the great forests leveled, in order to make civilized land out of the wilderness: to clear the land for planting crops; to build cabins; to get fuel for warmth and cooking; and to make fences for protection. Thus the tree-cutting hatchet is the essential tool for ( 1 ). Lastly, while the story of George Washington describes the act of a young revolutionary, it is significant to Americans that this act is done innocently and honestly. "Run to my arms, you dearest boy," cries his father, and with this sign of love the Revolution is given the approval of the parent. In this way, the story fulfills the wish of every rebellious child: that the gesture of independence will be respected, and that the child will be able to enjoy its act of rebellion without losing ( 2 ). ・(1)に入る3語の語句を同じ段階から抜き出してください。 ・(2)に入る適切なものを選んでください。 (1)its father`s love (2)its social relationships (3)its independence (4)its pride

• 英文で所々分からない箇所があります2

質問3. 以下の部分ですが Surrounded by all this, I suddenly fear earthquakes less than the fashion disaster of my own making. I realize that if there was an earthquake and all this concrete and glass were to come crashing down on me, my dying breath would be a prayer that no one notices how cheap my shoes are. 著者は自分のファッションセンスの低さを卑下しているようですが、何故ここにこの文章を挟む必要があるのでしょうか?前後との脈絡が全くないように見えるのですが・・・ 私の英文読解力が足りないせいなのか、彼女の文章構成力が稚拙なせいなのか、それすら判断できません。 貴方の具体的で総合的な判断と説明をお聞かせ願えませんか? 面倒な質問をして申し訳ありませんが、宜しくお願い致します。 Seldom does a day go by that doesn't herald the opening of yet another retail temple devoted to the gods of shopping, where the faithful go to worship the almighty designer label and overpriced tea salon. It seems like only yesterday that I followed the crowds into Omotesando Hills, window-shopping along with tens of thousands of other drones, looking at everything on display and feeling my spirit crushed because I will never know what it's like to wake up and start my day in a tiara. And just when I thought I had found inner peace without the aid of retail religion, along comes yet another newly opened shopping center with all of the familiar enticements of luxury and convenience. Naturally, this one is no different from Tokyo's other shopping centers, all uniquely designed to frustrate the visitor with their maze-like layouts, where going from A to B requires the skills and stamina of a Sherpa guide. Surrounded by all this, I suddenly fear earthquakes less than the fashion disaster of my own making. I realize that if there was an earthquake and all this concrete and glass were to come crashing down on me, my dying breath would be a prayer that no one notices how cheap my shoes are. Tokyo's new Midtown shopping center, located on the former site of the Defense Agency, is yet another addition to Tokyo's retail jungle. But as far as shopping centers go, it's certainly not the worst of its kind. The curved footbridge, where cars instead of carp can be viewed below, and other distinctly Japanese touches are improvements over the usual bland, pre-fab American-style shopping centers that appeared during the bubble era. Its architects have clearly made an effort to create a sense of harmony with the existing neighborhood. And herein lies the problem. Midtown's seamless inclusion into the Tokyo landscape gives rise to a mind-set that defines "community" and "neighborhood" by the flagship stores bearing the name of a multinational corporation. All this conformity is just another step along the way to creating a society regulated by greedy developers. At some point, I was probably standing on the exact spot where George's bar used to be — a tiny watering hole on the outskirts of Roppongi famous for its Motown-themed decor, and its ageless Mama-san. It's hard to exactly pinpoint the precise location of George's since the wonders of development and "progress" have destroyed every vestige of the past, burying it under a million tons of reinforced steel and concrete. Ironically, the only life within the Midtown mausoleum can be found among the centuries-old treasures on display at the Suntory Museum. Here, visitors can enjoy a welcome break from the rigors of mindless spending. The current exhibition of Edo period treasures, ranging from exquisitely painted folding screens to lacquer incense holders, is a beautiful yet sad reminder of a bygone age before the connoisseur gave way to the consumer. In contrast to the dead relics of the present, these artifacts remind us that real beauty possesses the beholder, rather than the other way around.