Mysterious Horse Antics in New York City: A Day of Chaos and Laughter

このQ&Aのポイント
  • On August 24, 1887, a strange phenomenon occurred in New York City. Horses passing a certain spot on Nassau and Ann streets began exhibiting extraordinary behavior.
  • The incident attracted the attention of journalists, who wrote amusing accounts of the chaos. A peddler with a tinware wagon experienced his horse dashing down the street at a high speed, while a farmer's formerly docile mare performed an unexpected double-shuffle on the cobblestones.
  • Even a truck loaded with paper and a one-horse van of an express company were not spared from the effects of the mysterious spot. The situation perplexed drivers and entertained onlookers.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします

On August 24,1887,the steam dynamo was running without a hitch,the underground system received its full pressure,and the staff at the station was well- satisfied with the results.Shortly,however,a police officer appeared at the station. He announced that some of the juice must be leking out at the corner of Nassau and Ann streets,because all horses passing a certain spot exhibited certain equestrium antics such as had never before been witnessed. It was a great day for journalism and the Hesrald,Times,Tribune,Sun,and other papers all printed amusing accounts of the affair.Some of the incidents they recorded fellow: 'A peddler of tinware,with a ten doller ''nag'',drove throught the crowd.At the moment he entered the charmed spot,his quadruped gave a snort,and,with ears erect and tail pointing to the North Star,dashed down the street at a 2:40 gait, Roars of laughter followed the terror-stricken peddler as he grasped the reins with one hand and with the other endeavored to hold down his dancing stock in trade.' 'A farmer with a sleepy sorrel plug also drove by.The old mare began a double-shuffle on the cobblestones.The farmer rubbed his eyes and gazed with astonishment at the remarkable evolutions of his hitherto peaceful beast.' 'Next came a big truck loaded with paper.No sooner had the horses stepped upon the magic spot than they dropped kicking their knees.' 'Next came a one-horse van of an express company.Again the crowd parted,making a lane in such a fashion that the horse had to pass over the mysterious spot,but they looked innocently at the driver in response to his inquiring gaze.When he turned around after the horse had bolted and he had him under control again,the puzzle was so intricate that he forgot to swear till he got to Beckman street.'

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数7

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ddeana
  • ベストアンサー率74% (2976/4019)
回答No.1

1887年8月24日、蒸気ダイナモは滞りなく稼働していて、地中の電気システムは全圧力を受信していた。そして発電所の職員は十分にその結果に満足していた。しかしまもなく警察官が発電所にやってきた。 彼は、騎手達がいままで一度も見たことがないほど、すべての馬が妙な態度を示しながら通り過ぎていたので、ナッソー通りとアン通りの角で一部が漏電しているに違いないと知らせた。 その日はジャーナリズムにとって願ってもない日となり、ヘラルド、タイムズ、トリビューン、サンその他の新聞すべてが、事件の面白おかしい記事を載せた。新聞が記録した事件のいくつかは次のようなものだ。 「10ドルの老いぼれ馬にのった一人の錫製品の行商人が群衆の間を通り抜けた。その瞬間彼は呪いをかけられたスポットに入り、彼の馬はフンと鼻をならし、両耳を直立させ、尻尾を北極星の方に向けて、2:40のものすごいスピード(※1)で通りを駆け抜けた。片手で手綱を握り、もう片方で飛び跳ねる商売道具をなんとか落ち着かせようとする恐怖に怯えた行商人の後を大笑いが続いた。」 「眠そうな栗色の老いぼれ馬に乗った農夫も近くを通っていた。年老いた雌馬の跳ね方が石畳の上で突然変わり始めた。農夫は目をこすり、いままでおとなしかった馬のとんでもない変化をびっくりして見つめていた。」 「次にきたのは紙を搭載している大きな馬運車だった。馬たちは膝を曲げてけり上げるや否や、不思議な場所を踏みつけた。」 「その次に来たのは、運送会社の1頭立てのワゴンだった。再び群衆は、馬が摩訶不思議なところを通過しなければならないように通り道を作りながら、分かれた。しかし、騎手の興味津々の視線を受けても、群衆は何食わぬ顔で見ていた。馬が驚いて急に駈け出したので振り向いた時、もう一度騎手は自分自身を制御した。謎があまりにも難解だったので、ベックマン通りに着くまで悪態をつくのを忘れるほどだった。」 ※1:at a 2:40 gait 馬の最も速い歩様の表現のようですが、よくわからなかったので検索したところ、競馬で次のような説明を見つけました。 travel at a speed of 1:40, which meant that she was galloping at a mile per 1 minute and 40 seconds, equivalent to 36 miles per hour (58 km/h). つまり、1マイルを1分と40秒で走り抜ける時に1:40というようなので、2:40だと1マイルを2分と40秒で走り抜けるという意味なのかと思いますので、意訳してみました。たぶん老いぼれ馬では信じられないようなスピードなのでしょう。

mangifera
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の和訳

この英文の和訳教えてください(>_<) ↓ ↓ Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He realized his father was very old,and thought perhaps he should go to see him. He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make arrangements,hereceived a telegram telling him his father had passed away,and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things. When he arrived at his father's house,sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search through his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible,just as he had left it years ago. With tears,he opened the Bible and began to turn the pages. And as he did, a car key dropped from the back of the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name,the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag were the date of his graduation and the words PAID IN FULL.

• 和訳をお願いします。

Joe was not a good student. He tried hard, but he was not clever enough to understand everything that he was supposed to learn. In fact, whenever Joe had examinations in the past, he had become so nervous that he could not even remember the little he had learned in class. He would sit there, holding his pen tight and scratching his head while other students were busily writing their answers.  Then the time came for the final examination, and Joe spent sleepless nights trying to remember everything he had been taught that year, so that when he went into the examination hall, he was tired and unhappy.  The examination papers were handed out, and Joe looked quickly at his copy. The first question was as difficult as he had feared. He read it through several times, and then slowly began to write, but nothing seemed to come easily. Soon he began to sweat, and the drops fell on the paper.  To try to gain the teacher's sympathy, he drew rings round the drops with his pen and wrote 'MY SWEAT' under them.  The examination finished, and Joe met his friends in the entrance to the hall. They had found the examination easy, they said. "Of course they would!" Joe thought bitterly.  A few weeks later the students' examination papers were returned to them with their grades. Joe's friends had all passed, but Joe's grade was 'E', which meant that he had failed.  Then, when he looked at his paper more carefully, he saw that there were some more marks of water on it, and under them the teacher had written 'MY TEARS.' 長いですが、よろしくお願い致します。

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m

Marvin was worried about the weather. After having his dinner in a hurry, he decided, at almost 11:00 that night, to go down to the small dock to check for possible ice damage to his boat. As he walked downthe three-hundred-foot slope to the lake, Marvin was followed by his dog, Max. Max loved to run around with his master. Though it was very late and cold, he seemed very pleased with the unexpected trip. At the dock, Marvin saw that his fears were right. A film of ice was beginning to appear around the boat. Marvin picked up a log and tried to push the boat to break the ice. But he did not know that water from the lake had make the dock wet. As he pushed with the log, he fell down, and his body hit the dock. He badly injured his legs, and he fell into the cold fifteen-foot-deep water. The cold waters began to pull him toward the dock, but he had little strength and soon went under the water.

• この英文の和訳お願いします。

翻訳サイトではわかりづらかったので質問しました。 almoner? がこちらのプリントのミスなのか辞書でもでてきませんでした。 誤字はないと思います。 For most of his life he had worked as a commercial artist. "I did a bit of tickling" delicate lettering and design for advertising blocks. In his late sixties he experienced long spells of illness. When he was able to work he went as bottlewasher to a dairy. He was obliged to gibe up work finally because of ill-health and growing infirmity at the age of seventy-two. Since the death of his wife his social activities had contracted. He did not get up for long and rarely went out, except at week-ends for his pension and his shopping. Even his visits to an infirm brother living some miles away had fallen off. "I used to go over and see him every Tuesday night last year up to that fog we had in November. Then I just lay on my bed coughing my and coughing. Coughing all day and night, thinking my time had come. But it wasn't to be." He regretted not having children, especially a daughter, who "might have stood by me when I got old", and he had no nephews or nieces living in London. The neighbours saw little of him. Next door was "Mrs Lipstick and Powder, that's what I calls her, always going out." On the other side was "Mrs Fly-by-night. She rushes past me on the stairs now, like some of the others, without asking how I am. Not that I mind. But they used to do it and since I came out of hospital and go around just like a decrepit old man decrepit, yes - I suppose they don't like to ask how I am in case they feel they should do something. But there - life's like that, isn't it?" He had lost touch with all his friends and did not approve of old people's clubs. "They're all clicks of decrepit old people." His opinion of national assistance officials, doctors, almoners, and nurses was favourable, except that sometimes they "kept you in the dark" or "treated you like a little child". He had refused offers of a home help, mainly, it appeared, from a sense of privacy, shame of his home, misunderstanding about payment, and suspicion of the sort of woman who would come. His memories of contacts with doctors and hospitals were extremely vivid and he recalled at length some of his experiences. He talked about an almoner who was "a lovely looking party", about his new dentures, "I don't wear the top, it's more comfortable', and with pride about his one perfect faculty, his eyesight. On occasions when he could scarcely walk it never occurred to him to ask his doctor to visit him; he preferred to make painful journeys to the surgery.

• 和訳お願いします

'Then he showed me the lamps burning in the shop.He said they were obliged to keep them burning eight months before they could do anything. 'We then went into the glss-blowing department,a separate building,out back. Two men were at work there.Edison had enlarged the bulb of his lamp about 33 per cent and they were at work blowing them,and parts of these vacuum pumps. Edison is working a vacumm pump of glass entirely .They were putting some of the carbon horseshoe into the lamps.There was only one man at work putting the carbon in(Batchelor). 'From there I went into a photo-lithographic concern that Edison has just got up,and they were at work pictures.There was one picture of Edison surrounded bu about thirty-five of his workmen taken by this process;and they had a man at work with chemicals,etc.Every now and then my conductor would point out a lamp with remark,''How nice that is burning!''ect.Then he would turn a little screw to turn the light off or on.He couldn't regurate it intermediately.It was eighter all off or all on.I asked him if they could regurate to any intermediate point and he said they couldn't.''These horseshoe burn very well,''he said. '''Some of them burn on an average about 800 hours continuously.''My conductor then took me where the dynamo machines were working and showed me the engine which he said was 80HP-150,I should think,judging from the size of it.He said they had a hundred lamps burning,but I am positive there weren't over 50,even if as many as that,everywhere,in the shop and out of it;and to run them he had 3 dynamo machines worked by this engine,those big upright machines of Edison's,that my conductor said had a capacity of 50 lightseach

• 和訳お願いします

Maxim didn't run to New York and give his opinion to a newspaper,but went to his laboratory and began trying to make a lamp after Edison's ideas.He had no success,however,and after a few weeks sent to Menlo Park an emissary who got in touch with Boehm.It was also said that the agent approached another of our men.The deportment of Boehm changed perceptibly and soon begame suspicious. Hw was changing his allegiance to that of Maxim.In fact,he soon departed Menlo Park and entered that electrician's employ.This as far I am aware was the only defection that ever occured at our laboratory in those early days.In a few months Boehm managed to place the Maxim laboratory incondition so that it was able to produce some incandescent lamps that had their light-giving element made of paper.While at Menlo Park Boehm had had the oppotunity of watching all the various processes by which Edison made a practical lamp,and that acquired knowledge he imparted to Maxim.With the compensation he received,he was enabled to return to Germany and study.After receiving the degree of Ph.D. from the University of Freiburg in 1886,he returned to America.

• 和訳をお願いします

入院と自動車学校で勉強できませんでした。 テストが間近です。お手伝いお願いします。 They told him to tell Lawrence and the Arabs that if help did not come in two days they would surrender.This was not good enough for Lawrence.The Arabs were impatient for victory and Lawrence was certain that they would not wait.They would storm Akaba and in the fighting some of them would be killed.So this time he went with the naked soldier to see the Turks.Lawrence asked to see an officer.He explained the situation to him.He said he would not be able to control the Arabs’ temper much longer.If the Turks surrendered now,they would not be killed but would be sent as prisoners to Egypt.The officer soon brought a reply. The Turks would surrender at dawn.They did.Lawrence and the Arabs rode into Akaba in triumph.They had won a great victory.But now they were all threatened with starvation.Every day there were four thousand mouths to feed.They had to start killing the camels for meat. Lawrence was exhausted.His head still ached from the fall from his camel.But he knew that he had to get food for everyone as quickly as he could.So he set off on his camel to ride across the Sinai desert to the Suez Canal.This was a journey of 250 miles,but Lawrence did it without stopping.It was a remarkable feat.For two days and two nights he ate and slept on his camel’s back.At Ismailia,on the banks of the great canal,he reported the capture of Akaba to a Royal Navy admiral he met on the railway station.The admiral,delighted with Lawrence’s success,agreed immediately to send a warship to Akaba with food and ammunition.News of the victory soon spread.People in Cairo began to ask who was this man Lawrence,who spent all his time with the Arabs.Even the French,who knew that Lawrence did not like them,gave him a medal for his bravery.And the new British general,Edmund Allenby,say that Lawrence and the Arabs might be more important than anyone realized.He called Lawrence to see him and gave him £200,00 in gold sovereigns to pay more Arab recruits.

• 和訳お願いします!!

【至急】自然な日本語での和訳をお願いします! So Rubin was free - but his joy was short-lived. In a new trial, late in 1976, Bello changed his testimony yet again. The prosecution also put forward a 'racial revenge' theory to explain the shootings: they said that Rubin killed the white bartender, to avenge the shooting, six hours earlier, of a black bar-owner by a white man. What's more, some people who had been alibi witnesses on Rubin's side, now said he had asked them to lie for him. Rubin and his friend were sent back to prison. As before, he spent his time reading and studying, and he had little contact with the inmates and guards around him. But now his hopes for release had been crushed. But just when everything seemed lost, Rubin struck up an unexpected friendship with a fifteen-year-old boy, Lesra Martin. Lesra was a New York boy who had moved to live in a commune in Toronto, and he had picked up Rubin's autobiography at a garage sale. He visited Rubin in prison, and when he told the other commune members about his visit, they decided to investigate Rubin's case. They spoke with him on the phone, and sent him food, clothes, and even a TV set. In 1983, the Canadian group began to work with Rubin's defense lawyers, carefully going through the thousands of pages of evidence which had built up, showing how the prosecution had concealed and manipulated evidence. But should they appeal again to the New Jersey Supreme Court, which had already rejected an earlier appeal for a third trial, or should they appeal to the Federal Court ? Rubin himself decided to take the high-risk option and appeal to the Federal Court. If this appeal failed, there would be nothing left - it would mean imprisonment for life.

• 和訳をお願いします。

Tomis a British fashion photographer who has incorporated his dark and mysterious personality into his works. Since Tom started experimenting in fashion photography he has gathered an online following for his uniquity and style. Originally from a small town in England Damon was obsessed with cities. At the age of eighteen he decided to escape to New York City to find himself and to push his creative boundaries. Since basing himself in London at nineteen he had started to build strong relationships with the model agencies by shooting their models using his fresh and unique vision.

• 英文の翻訳

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の前半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His father was a man who was Tall, and moderately fat with large eyes and black hair and a long banana or crescent moon shaped face. A proud looking man. He had trouble with one of his knees and his leg was a bit weak or crooked. He had a hospitable and generous nature. He tried to mould the minds of his children into the right direction in life. Married late in life to a woman of superior position and his past was not so good. He could be melancholic and liked to study or read in the silence of his own chamber with a lamp, which his children were not welcome to disrupt. He was stricter and sharp with the children when they were small. but, gentler when they were older and behaved better. He could be merry, eat drink and have fun and include the children. He felt happy amongst his family and children. He was intuitive and had a spiritual side.