Discover Unexpected Obstacles: The Importance of Regular Reports

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Regular reports can uncover unexpected obstacles that hinder a teacher's effectiveness.
  • Details such as dress habits, speech mannerisms, and intonations of voice can be revealed through regular reports.
  • Understanding and correcting these obstacles is crucial for improving teaching effectiveness.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

I am confident that if...

I am confident that if a teacher were to ask his pupils to make regular reports on himself he would discover that many unexpected details were blocking his effectiveness.Habits of dress, mannerisms of speech, intonations of voice - things easily corrected, but obstacles of importance when they are not - would be revealed to him. when they are notは、何を修飾してるのでしょうか。辞書を見たら形容詞説として名詞を修飾できると書いてあったのですが、obstaclesを修飾していると考えるのでしょうか。

noname#198328
noname#198328
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

日本語でわかりにくいというのは 「修正されない時の障害」であれば、 「なぜ修正されないかの原因」と取られかねないからです。 実際には「修正されず残っていれば、上述の blocking するような障害になる」 ということです。 これも申し上げたように、単なる名詞があるだけなので、 「障害になる」とは訳しにくく、when の部分も普通に「~する時に」としにくくなりますが、 英語的にはそういう普通の「~する時に」です。 そもそも、名詞のあとに前置詞句が来た場合に形容詞句とする (The book on the desk is mine. 机の上の(上にある)本は私のだ。) のも日本的です。 あくまでも英語では「机の上に(ある)」という副詞的なもの。 obstacles という名詞しかなく、その名詞にかかる、という説明はわかりますが、 現実的ではないように思います。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

would be ~の主語が Habits of dress, mannerisms of speech, intonations of voice なのですが、 この主語にあたる名詞部分を言い換えているのが―ではさまれた部分です。 things / easily corrected「容易に修正される」もの but だが、 obstacles / of importance「重要な障害物」 when they are not (corrected)「修正されない時に」 挿入部分の前に which are でも補えば文的に処理できますが、 あくまでも名詞の言い換えとして名詞がきているだけ。 それを but でつないでいるので、日本語的には訳しにくくなります。 そして、when ~は確かに名詞 obstacles の直後にきていて、 こういう場合の when/before 節は「~する時の」「~する前の」 として前の名詞にかかる感じになります。 しかし、ここで「修正されない時の」障害物 とすると日本語では意味がわかりにくくなるように思います。

noname#198328
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。理解しました。

noname#212313
noname#212313
回答No.2

>I am confident that if a teacher were to ask his pupils to make regular reports on himself he would discover that many unexpected details were blocking his effectiveness. 「もし教師が自分の生徒に教師自身に対する定期報告を求めたなら、教師は自分が効果的であることを阻害する、多くの点を見出すだろうと、私は自信を持って言える。」 >Habits of dress, mannerisms of speech, intonations of voice - things easily corrected, but obstacles of importance when they are not (corrected) - would be revealed to him. 「服装の癖、話し方の特徴、声の調子といった、容易に直せるが、もし直せないなら大きな支障となるものが、教師に明らかになるだろう。」 >when they are notは、何を修飾してるのでしょうか。  theyは直前のthings(=服装、話し方、声音などにおける、さまざまな悪癖)を指しています。さらに、are notの次に来るべきcorrectedが繰り返しを避けるため省略されています。この条件節が何を限定、形容しているかといえば、お考えの通り、 >obstaclesを修飾していると考えるのでしょうか。 ということです。obstacles(支障、障害)が出てくるのは、when they are not corrected(それら(=悪癖)が直されないとき)であるということですね。

noname#198328
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。 第1文     もし教師が、生徒に、自分自身についてのレポートを定期的に書くよう求めたら、生徒は、数多くの自分では気づかない細かいことが、自分が能率的であることの邪魔になっているのを発見するだろう。 2。 第2文         構造は     主文:  甲、乙、丙、が彼に示される     挿入句: 簡単に是正されるが、(是正され)ないと重大な支障となるもの(=甲、乙、丙)     甲: Habits of dress    衣類の習慣     乙: mannerisms of speech  話の仕方     丙: intonations of voice    声の抑揚 3。第2文の訳     衣類の習慣、話の仕方、声の抑揚、(といった)簡単に是正されるが、(是正され)ないと重大な支障となるものが、彼(=生徒)に示される。 4。御質問     when they are notは、何を修飾してるのでしょうか。辞書を見たら形容詞説として名詞を修飾できると書いてあったのですが、obstaclesを修飾していると考えるのでしょうか。     御質問の意味が分かりませんが not の次に corrected が略されています。

noname#198328
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• but that について

We don't know but that there are the people who would have made more money even if they had not gone to college.の文の but that をどう訳していいのか、訳し方がわかりません。 辞書を引くとknow などの否定形のあとで、「・・・ではないと」という意味になると書いてあるのですが・・・。

• 和文英訳の質問です

以下の英文の和訳をどなたかわかる方 お願いできませんでしょうか。 History is full of examples of apparently simple discoveries that were not made even when they would be surpassingly useful in that culture. お願い致します。

• 和訳して下さい!!(^_^;)

(1) Most people , when they are left free to fill their own time according to their own choice , are at a loss to think of anything sufficiently pleasant to be worth doing. And whatever they decide on , they are troubled by the feeling that something else would have been pleasanter. (2) Athletes do not perform or compete in social vacuums. One could even argue that modern athletics would not exist without audiences and sport fans. How many athletes would continue to train and compete if no spectators were present in athletic event? Probably none. (3) As a student of Japan and things Japanese , I find this country and its inhabitants to be a living study. Instead of being thousands of miles away as they would be were I to live in my homeland , all the materials for research lie close at hand. All that is necessary is to find the time and to put in the effort. よろしくお願いいたします。

• このthatの用法は??

It is now almost a century since a literate woman was sufficiently a curiosity to have the fact of her sex noted every time her literary activities were mentioned, and so authoress is going out of use. No one could have foreseen, fifty years ago, that woman were soon to do so much that men had thought they alone could do that to attempt to call attention to it would burden the language. 最後のto attemptの前のthatの用法がわかりません。 woman were のthatはforeseeの目的語で、名詞的用法のthatだと理解できます。 to attemptの前のthatも、同様にforeseeの目的語で、名詞的用法のthatだと解釈可能でしょうか?

• Bigots get publicity

Bigots get publicity Today, the blatant, the bigot, the leader of a lunatic fringe, and the hate-monger, each with his tiny entourage, find it relatively easy to attract publicity. Newspapers give space to the virulent activities of those agitators on the grounds that they are newsworthy. TV producers and radio executives, seeking for sensationalism, often extend a welcome to such controversial characters. "Yes," said the host of one such program, "we invite bigots, but it is only for the purpose of making them look ridiculous by displaying their inane policies to the public. "Some civic-minded organizations have answered, however, that the hosts are not always equipped to demolish those guests, and even if they were, the audience would still be exposed to the venom they spew forth. この英文の Some civic-minded organizations have answered, however, that the hosts are not always equipped to demolish those guests, and even if they were, the audience would still be exposed to the venom they spew forth. のところはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? civic-minded organizationsというのがまずよくわかりません。 ここで出てくるthe hostsは前述の中にあるthe host of one such programのことだと思うのですが、oneは何を指しているのでしょうか? even if they wereの後は何か省略されているのでしょうか? the audience would still be exposed to the venom they spew forth.・・・・?です。 よろしくお願いします。

• so~that…(とても~なので…)について

He would get so involved in his play that when it was time to go home,he would cry again. 彼は遊びに熱中するあまり、帰宅する時間になるとまた泣き叫ぶのであった なんですがなぜwould getとなるんでしょうかcryという動詞があるのにgetという動詞があるのがよくわからないです(getは和訳にも入っていませんしwould getでなくwasならわかるんですが また He would enjoy himself so much in his play that he would cry again,refusing to go home. 彼は遊びを楽しんでいたので、帰宅するのを拒否してまた泣き叫ぶのであった こちらもenjoyとcryという動詞があってよくわからないです 後こちらの文はso~that…の~の部分が much in his play となっていて (とてもmuch in his play なので… となって意味がよくわからないです) わからない部分の説明がへたですいません

• I am alone with myself

Not long after, Johnson's friend, the painter Joshua Reynolds, noted in his Discourses on Art that: 'The highest ambition of every Artist is to be thought a man of Genius.' But in 1826, the critic William Hazlitt suggested in his essay 'Whether genius is conscious of its powers?': 'No really great man ever thought himself so.... He who comes up to his own idea of greatness, must always have had a very low standard of it in his mind.' Picasso, for instance, said publicly: 'When I am alone with myself, I cannot regard myself as an artist. In the strict sense of the word. The great painters were Giotto, Rembrandt, and Goya.' *Johnson=Samuel Johnson この英文の中にある When I am alone with myselfについてですが、 I am aloneでも意味が通じる気がするのですが with myselfをつけることによってどういう意味合いになるのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 日本語訳を!c14-3

お願いします!  Both men and women who admired Mahavira and his teachings left their families and became monks and nuns.In fact,when Mahavira died,more than twice as many nuns as monks followed his teachings.Even today,women play an important role in Jain traditions.As mothers,they teach children how to behave and how to live a good life by not killing,stealing,or lying.Jain nuns meditate and go on journeys called pilgrimages to sacred places,take care of sacred scriptures,and teach others about the way to achieve Enlightenment.  All Jains vow not to kill any living thing.This means that Jains cannot be farmers,because they would have to kill insects that destroy plants and they would kill worms when plowing the fields.Jains do not raise animals because they would have to kill the lice,vermin,and germs that livestock often suffer from.They can't be lumberjacks,because that line of work would mean that by cutting down trees they would be killing insects and hurting animals that live in the trees.  Most Jains who were not monks and nuns were traders,bankers,or craftspeople who made things such as jewelry and cloth.The rich Jain merchants became patrons of the arts and paid for the construction of magnificent temples and monasteries.Many of the teachings of famous monks and nuns were written on palm leaves or painted onto birch-bark manuscripts and collected in great libraries.

• If that does it

I have been friends with “Jon” for four years. He’s a great guy but not my type. Four months ago Jon got drunk, confessed his undying love for me, and tried to kiss me. I gently rejected him and got someone else to sober him up. The next day, Jon apologized. I told him I valued our friendship and since then, our things have gone back to normal—but several of our mutual friends are pressuring me to give Jon a chance. They ignore my refusals and try to sell me on him. One got very angry when I started dating someone new and accused me of stringing Jon along. I was honest with Jon, and I have tried to be kind (I don’t complain to him about my love life or anything). I have asked Jon several times if we are OK, and he said yes, but all this interference from our friends has left me with doubts. Jon and I have plans to go to France this summer with another friend, and I have spent a lot of money on nonrefundable tickets. Should I ignore all this or press Jon for more details? —Pining I don’t think it’s Jon you need to speak to right now. It’s possible that he’s been pretending to be fine while secretly complaining to your friends, but that’s not at all certain, and the people whose behavior is bothering you right now are your mutual friends—so tell them to knock it off. “I’ve been very clear with Jon from the start that I care about him as a friend and I’m not interested in him romantically. I’m not stringing him along, but I’m also tired of your attempts to convince me I ought to want to be with him. I don’t know why you think it would be a good start to a romantic relationship for one party to have to be repeatedly talked into it. I certainly don’t. You need to stop.” If that does it, great! If that does itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• “if ~ be to …” の訳

次の英文の『』部分の訳が欲しいです。 『 The thing, above all, that a teacher should endeavour to produce in his pupils if democracy is to survive, 』 is the kind of tolerance that springs from an endeavour to understand those who are different from ourselves. 細かく言うと“if democracy is to survive”の部分をどう訳したらいいか分かりません。 be to 不定詞だと思うのですが、どの訳を入れてもしっくりこず・・・ あるいは“if ~ be to V”で決まった訳があるのでしょうか。 どなたか英語に強い方、お願いします。