Alligator, Not Crocodile!

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 和訳:ワニではなくワイはい!
  • Johnが初めて日本を訪れました。彼が魅了されたすべてのこと:人々、文化、特に言語。
  • 友人が彼をレストランに連れて行きました。「日本語で『ありがとう』って言うのはどうやるんだっけ?」とジョンは尋ねました。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳をお願いします!

Alligator, Not Crocodile! John was visiting Japan for the first time. Everything about fascinated him: the people, the culture and especially the language. A friend took him to dine at a restaurant.'How do you say 'Thank you' in Japanese?' John asked. 'Thank you' is 'ARI-GA-TO,' his friend answered. 'To help you remember just think of 'Alligator .' It sounds like 'ARIGATO.' John practiced saying it and seemed quite comfortable with the new word. At the end of the meal, John wanted to express his appreciation to the waiter, but could not remember how to say it. To remind him, his friend used his arms to imitate the reptile opening and closing its jaws. 'Ah!' John remembered...He turned to the waiter and said loudly, 'CROCODILE! CROCODILE!' ジョークの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです!

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9705/12071)
回答No.1

以下のとおりお答えします。 (同じワニでも)クロコダイルでなく、アリゲーター! ジョンは初めて日本を訪れていました。 彼は、およそすべてのことに魅了されました。人々、文化、それと特に言語に。 友達が、レストランでの食事に彼を連れて行きました。「日本語で『ありがとう』は何て言うの?」、とジョンは尋ねました。 「『ありがとう』は、『アリ・ガ・ト」ですよ」、と友達は答えました。 「思い出すときの助けにするためには、ちょっと『Alligator(ワニ)』を考えるといいですよ。それが、『アリガト』のように聞こえますからね。」 ジョンは、それを言う練習をし、新語に全く満足しているようでした。 食事の終わりに、ジョンはウェイターに感謝の気持ちを述べたかったが、それをどう言うのか思い出すことができませんでした。 彼に思い出させるために、彼の友達は腕を使ってその爬虫類があごを開いたり閉じたりするまねをしてみせました。 「ああ!」ジョンは思い出しました…彼はウェイターの方を向いて、大声で言いました。「クロコダイル! クロコダイル!」 >ジョークの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです! 発音の似たAlligator(米国産ワニ)を利用して「ありがとう」を覚えさせようとしたら、意味の連想から「ありがとう」のつもりでCrocodile(一般のワニ)と言ってしまった、という小話。 以上、ご回答まで。

pinkpink111
質問者

補足

丁寧に回答して頂き、ありがとうございました!!

関連するQ&A

• 和訳してください(>_<)3

This was an important turning point for John, as it led to his second Oscar for the music of "Jaws" and also to his meeting with George Lucas. Greatly interested in John's work, Lucas chose him to write the musicfor "Star Wars." This brought John his third Oscar.

• 和訳をお願いします

3 One of the people from the dormitory broke my tennis racket. He could not speak English very well so he said something like. "Domo, racket no good." He seemed to be very sorry. But he was saying domo― thank you. I got kind of angry! You can imagine. I lend him my racket, he breaks it and comes back saying, Thank you." Very surprising! Anyway, the following day he bought me a new one. The other day I was outside the dormitory waiting for Yoshitaka to pick me up. He was quite late, in fact more than 30 minutes late. Aren't the Japanese usually on time? Perhaps my friend was different. At last he turned up. "Domo, domo. Did you wait long?" He came at me waving his right hand. "These Japanese are really fanny people," I told myself. "He is Late and comes saying, Thank you, thank you.'" I was getting very confused. In this country do you have to say thank you for everything you do? I had already been in the country for four months and I still could not speak Japanese. But I wanted to sound as polite as possible. Therefore, I began to speak very strange sounding English. Here are some examples' 'Thank you, I was late." 'Thank you, he seems to be quite crazy." 'Thank you, this rain doesn't seem to stop." 'Thank you, excuse me." 'Thank you, I thought I saw Mr. Tanaka, but it was another person." "Thank you, he doesn't seem to understand." 'Thank you, it has been a long time since we met." 'Thank you, thank you." Everybody seemed to be very pleased when talking to me. "You am getting to be very Japanese," they used to tell me while uniting. Well, I thought, the English might sound strange to me. However, it, is very close to the way people speak here. So I kept talking l.hat way for quite a while.

• 簡単な和訳をお願いします。

In america they do not sharpen razors at a hardware store. If you prefer not to sharpen it that is fine, thank you.

• 英文の和訳希望

下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 抽象的な部分はないと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He will look at you with a strange gaze, eyes that seem to look deep into your soul. And a disorientation, a meeting or minds. And this will be love. Like a fascinating moment frozen in time. It will register on some other level. And all next day and day after you will think of him, your thoughts will return to linger over him, without you control. He will think of you, in the same way. He will remember you. Without really knowing it a new chapter in your life, and his will begin that day. You will recognize him, not only from the descriptions but because something in the depth of your soul will be so irresistibly drawn to him. The deep mind will know even if the conscious mind does not. It is always the way. Yet this is just a glance, the look of love.

• 和訳をお願いします!

和訳をお願いします! 「あなたが退職して、彼(経営者)は落ち込んでいましたか?」 この質問に対しての返答です。 I don't know. You have to ask him that. I think you know we're still very good friends. I adore him. And it's one of those very unique stories. I mean very hard to-- ah impossible really to replicate because it came at a time and a place where he really understood, as a psychiatrist again, the American psyche. And he made that American psyche a global psyche.And that's what's so phenomenal about his...you know, success. ある女性デザイナー(中国系アメリカ人)のインタビュー番組です。 以前働いていた職場での経験と、上司について話してるシーンなのですが、 どうしても意味がつかめません… よろしくお願いします!

• 英文の和訳希望

和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、 お願いいたします。 1段落の後半部分です。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Aims no higher once he is at a comfortable level of life. Sticks in a rut after that. He will spend his money conservatively, not lavishly and he likes to have savings and to hold onto money, not through miserliness but because he wants to feel emotionally secure, and his history has taught him his money can waver. He only feels emotionally secure when he is financially secure. You won't have to scrape or scrimp if you marry him. Your partner will be cautious and stubborn but generous to you with gifts and reliable in money matters. Down to earth and sensible in his decisions. The chart does not show magnificent riches, but it does show a solid comfortable and conventional financial life together, which is reassuring.

• 和訳をお願いします!

Homophone When we moved to northen California, my husband began deliberating about buying a sailboat. He struggled over our budget, and nagged me for help in his decision.I told him that it was strictly his choice to make, that I was with him either way, but he had to decide. One morning, as he hurried out the door on his way to work, I waved and said, 'Bye.' He broke into a big grin and called over his shoulder, 'I was hoping you'd say that!' Him& Hymn A woman had been very faithful in attending all her church's services for many years, and the minister wanted to reward her.At the next Sunday-evening service he announced, 'For her loyalty to the church, we shall reward Miss Jones by letting her pick three hymns for the evening.' 'Oh, goody!' exclaimed Miss Jones. And, pointing to various members in the congregation, she said, 'I'll take HIM and HIM and HIM.' 宜しくお願いします!

• 和訳をお願いいたします

先ほどの再投稿となりますが、翻訳をしていただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 意訳大歓迎です。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The element of air was on your fifth house. This indicates that it is through conversation or words and communication, letters, that you will determine what your partner is really like. You will seem actively involved impressed attentive or friendly towards him because of your conversation or interesting the communications exchanged between you, but inwardly you’ll keep your distance still, and you will stay in control emotionally, no matter how intuitively, instinctively and mysteriously or irresistibly you find yourself drawn to him, you’ll try and be objective until you form an opinion. This will not be easy because he will seem like a man who is not ordinary, who can touch and inspire your soul with his originality, invisible strands of strange powerful feelings. He will feel so different to anyone you have every known before, that you will think it wonderful to have met him at all. Meeting him will be exciting. But you’ll try and control yourself and to view it coolly and sensibly. So there is a kind of duality going on, two levels, what you feel and how you act when you meet, each may be different.

• 和訳して欲しいです、お願いします。

I remember when you told me that can't love you 100 percent with my heart then it will not work between me and you and you said that it will be ok because I was honest and that I showed you the feeling of how to feel when someone really cares about you and that's ok. Do you still mean that? What happens if we were just good friends and not boyfriend and girlfriend could you handle that?????

• 和訳をお願いします。

【1】  At last l was in Japan. l stepped out of the plane into the Narita Airport building for the first time. l was walking towards immigration when 1 saw it. It was the first time in my life. Two Japanese were standing in front of each other bowing, bowing, and bowing. They seemed to bow for even There was something else though - something very shocking. They were saying many things, but I could not understand. For the first time, l was in a country where I could not even guess a single word of the local language. To me, whatever those two people were saying to each other, it just sounded like noise. However, I could pick up one of the sounds very clearly. It was DOMO.  On the way out of the airport, I could hear again and again that same domo l had to find out what it was. Walking right beside me was a French businessman on his second two-day trip to Japan. He looked like an expert on things Japanese. “Well” he said, “my experience has taught me that it means something like thank you." Then he went on explaining:. "Whenever you want to thank anyone for anything and be polite at the same tune. just say ‘domo and it will be all right. And don*t forget. You have to bow every time you say thank you.* On hearing that I said to myself‘Oh, this is a very useful expression. I must remember it”