Understanding the Meaning of 'but' and 'It seemed as though Dr. King's dream had come true.'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The word 'but' in the sentence 'my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character.' is used to contrast the color of their skin with the content of their character.
  • The sentence 'It seemed as though Dr. King's dream had come true.' in the second paragraph means that the election of Barack Obama as the President of the United States, an African-American, gave the impression that Dr. King's dream of racial equality was starting to be realized.
  • But is used in the first paragraph to contrast the color of their skin with the content of their character. It seemed as though Dr. King's dream had come true when Barack Obama was elected as President of the United States.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

butの意味とある英文の意味がわかりません

1. Dr.King dreamed of a country where "For Whites Only" signs world would come down everywhere, and people of all races could sit down together at the same table. He dreamed that "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character." 2. Forty-five years later, in November 2008, Barack Obama, an African-American, was elected President of the United States. It seemed as though Dr. King dream had come true. 1の英文の "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character."の途中にあるbutはどういう意味で用いられているか, 2.の英文のIt seemed as though Dr. King dream had come true.の英文はどういう意味かわかりません。 どなたか教えていただけないでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nebusoku3
  • ベストアンサー率38% (1437/3766)
回答No.1

1."my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character." 私の4人の小さい子供たちは、いつか彼らが皮膜の色ではなく、人格で判断される国に、(ある日)住んでみたいとおもって(希望して)います。 they will not be judged(判断されない)   by the color of their skin(皮膚の色で)  but (しかし)  the content of their character.(彼らのキャラクターで) not be judged by A but (by) B と言う形で、否定の否定→ B が選ばれ、判断されると言う意味です。 2.の英文 45年後の2008年11月に、バラク・オバマ(アフリカ系アメリカ人)はアメリカ合衆国大統領に選出されました。 (その出来事は) まるで Dr. Kingの夢が正に実現したように、思われました。 記事は I have a dream....... のキング牧師に関する事でしょうね。

dikutori
質問者

お礼

助かりました。ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.2

1. not~but http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=not+A+but+B "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character." 私の4人の子がいつか、肌の色ではなく人間の中身で判断されるような国に住むであろう。 2. It seemed as though Dr. King dream had come true. それはまるでキング博士の夢が実現したかのようだった。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=as+though

dikutori
質問者

お礼

助かりました。ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• not A but Bの構文

中3の英語の教科書からキング牧師のスピーチでの1節です。 I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. ・・・・彼らの肌の色ではなく, 彼らの性格の中身で判断される・・・・のところですが、 not A but Bだとする解説書がありました。 一方、持ってる文法の参考書では、A,Bは語なら語、句なら句とありました。 有名なスピーチの一節だということを考えなければ、受験英文法的には【not】 の位置は下記でしょうか? they will be judged 【not】 by the color of their skin 【but】 by the content of their character.

• どっちの英文が難しいか

(1) Do you often talk on the phone for a long time? I have a sister.Her name is Sachiko.She likes talking on the phone.She sometimes enjoys it for a long time.When my sister talks on the phone,my mother often says to her,so long.When someone needs to call us,he can't.” The telephone is very important in our life today. There are many useful things about it.For example,We can send messages very fast.We can talk easily with people all over the world. But we should remember some things when we use telephones.One night last month there was a phone call while I was sleeping.My family didn't answer it. So I got up and answered it.I said,“Hello.”A man said,“Hi,Takashi.Did you see the soccer game? Who won?”“Takashi? I think you have the wrong number,”I said.Then he hung up the phone.He didn't even say,“I'm sorry.”I got angry.My brother,Hideo,often calls late at night,but we should not do so if it is not urgent.Also,if we call the wrong number,We should say,“I'm sorry.” The telephone is very useful,but we should always remember some important things when we use it.Thank you for listening. (2) In 1963, Dr, Martin Luther King, Fr. stood in front of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., and gave his famous speech, "I Have a Dream." Dr. King spoke at a time when black Americans faced many difficulties. In some southern states, they could not vote. They could not use the same restaurants, hotels, theaters, or even restroom as whites. Black children had to go to separate schools. Dr.King dreamed of a country where "For Whites Only" signs world would come down everywhere, and people of all races could sit down together at the same table. He dreamed that "my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but the content of their character."He dreamed of a day when America would truly be a land of freedom and justice for all. He dreamed of a day when "all of God's children-black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics-will be able to join hands and to sing the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last, Free at last; thank God Almighty, we are free at last." Forty-five years later, in November 2008, Barack Obama, an African-American, was elected President of the United States. It seemed as though Dr. King dream had come true. 1と2の英文で英文の構造と内容、読みやすさではどっちが難しいですか?

• 英文の邦訳

But in corporate polities, unlike nation states, the citizenry can easily depart and not eat their own cooking. As a result, there is a danger that activist stockholders will make proposals motivated by interests other than maximizing the long-term, sustainable profitability of the corporation. 上記英文中の, in corporate polities, unlike nation states, the citizenry can easily depart and not eat their own cookingの意味が判然としません。お教え下さい。

• (308) But you,……この英文はどのように訳せばよいでしょうか

(ll. 641-645) But you, Perses, remember all works in their season but sailing especially. Admire a small ship, but put your freight in a large one; for the greater the lading, the greater will be your piled gain, if only the winds will keep back their harmful gales. 次の文章は“Works and Days” by Evelyn Whiteの一節です。 (1)(2)は連続した文章です。 試し訳と語彙について質問します。 <試し訳> (1)(ll. 641-645) But you, Perses, remember all works in their season but sailing especially.しかし、(お前)ペルセースよ、こうし時季の仕事は何でも(ちゃんと)覚えておけ。 (2)Admire a small ship, but put your freight in a large one; for the greater the lading, the greater will be your piled gain, if only the winds will keep back their harmful gales. 小さな船(の時は)いぶかることだ。そして(しかし)、お前の積み荷は大きな船に積め。より多く荷を積めば、そのより大きさが、多量の利益となるからである。もしかすると、ただでさえ、風が危険な暴風を避けてくれると良いが。 <質問> ここは、辞書を引いたのですが、言葉が適切かどうか、自信がありません。 ちょっと、見ていただきたいと思います。 (a)admire; 通常は賞賛、褒める意味; ここは「いぶかる」(心配、気を使う?) (b) a large one;船のこと (c) for the greater the lading; if文であり「もし、より多く積み荷をすれば」 (d) will be your gain;お前の利益となる(だろう。) (e) will keep back their harmful gales;防止、避ける 備考;admire; marvel; To marvel at something. Often used with at. (the free dic) → いぶかる。

• この英文の意味を教えてください

この英文の意味を教えてください "Their impersonal eyes in the absence of all desire." in the absence of all desireってどういう意味ですか?

• この2つの文章を和訳して欲しいです!

この2つの文章を和訳して欲しいです お願いいたします。 I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. When we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jew and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual,"Free at last!Free at last!Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

• この英文の意味を教えてはいただけないでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます英文が理解できず、困り果てております。 Emma was happy to entertain their friends, although many of them were closer in age to her father than to her. But on one of these evenings Emma was luckier because one of their neighbours brought a young friend with her. 教えていただきたいのですが、この場合の「with her」のherとは、Emmaを指しているのでしょうか? それとも、「one of their neighbours」を指しているのでしょうか? また、もしEmmaを指していた場合、ニュアンスとしては「彼女に合わせるために連れてきた」となるのでしょうか? どなたか、教えてはいただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の和訳2

If I don't like living here,I will soon leave andeither go back to my own country of find another country where I can be more comfortable. It is true that some foreigners come to Japan to live but find that,after a short while, they don't like it and so decide to leave. But it seems to me that these people are few and the causes for their unhappiness in Japan are usually to be found in their own characters and not Japan itself. 和訳をお願いします>< この英文の前にも文章がありますが、hereは「ここ」などと訳してもらって構いませんので。

• 英文で意味の分からない所があります

“No. I go to school in Boston.” I disliked her for the answer. Whenever anyone has asked me where I went to school I come right out with it: Newark Colleges of Rutgers University. I may say it a bit too ringingly, too fast, too up-in-the-air, but I say it. For an instant Brenda reminded me of the pug-nosed little bastards from Montclair who come down to the library during vacations. While I stamp out their books, they stand around tugging their elephantine scarves until they hang to their ankles, hinting all the while at “Boston” and “New Haven.” 上記のWhile I stamp out their books, they stand around tugging their elephantine scarves until they hang to their anklesの意味する所が分かりません。 分かる方宜しくお願いします。

• 英文で意味の取れないところがあります。

79% of Americans read no books, 83% not only read magazines but read them so faithfully that they pay in advance for them in order to receive them regularly. The total possible book-reading public was 30,000,000. The prepaid magazine-reading public was 125,000,000. It is very clear not only where most Americans get their ideas about politics, public events, geography, current history and current opinion, but also where they read whatever "literature" they read. 原文はもっと長いのですが、抜粋した上記の英文で、後段のIt is 以下の意味と文法的構成がよく分かりません。 Itはwhere 以下の先行形式主語なんでしょうか? whatever "literature"に関し、解説では「いわゆる"文学作品"で(彼らの読むだけのもの)」literatureとは雑誌にのった文学作品を指す。とあります。 whatever "literature"が何故そのような意味になるのかが分かりません。 宜しくお願い致します。