• ベストアンサー

what it said was のニュアンス

Japan has already lodged a strong protest over what it said was an "escalation" by China. 英字新聞を読んでいると、よく「what it said was ~」という表現がでてきます。 断定を避けた曖昧な言い回しに思えてならないのですが、意味するところは 「他はともかく、自分たちの立場では」、というニュアンスを出すためでしょうか? ご教授ください

noname#207198
noname#207198
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

ちょっと補足しますと,is/was の後,今回では "escalation" (by China) という表現を日本がしたわけです。 中国側は正当な行為というつもりで行なったのでしょうが (今回の防空識別圏問題のことだと思います) 日本は中国の行為は "escalation" だと言及した。 今回の中国の行為に抗議を申し出た。 この抗議のあて先,protest over ~の over の後に, 「中国の行為」what China did のような真っ白な表現でなく, what it said was an "eslacation" by China 中国による「拡大」だと日本が言ったもの (への抗議) としているわけです。 あくまでも日本が "escalation" だと主張していて, 事実としてそうだというものではない。 まあ,この what が over の後にくる抗議のあて先, さらに,それがどんなものかを表す was/is ~以下 とのクッション(接着剤)になる名詞だ,と理解することです。 さらに,その is/was の前に,it said がきています。

noname#207198
質問者

お礼

いつも勉強させていただいております。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

do what you think is right「あなたが正しいと思うことをする」 こういう連鎖関係詞節の what で it said になってますね。 it = Japan で,おっしゃるように, what のもつ「もの」が,was ~「~である,あった」という内容が 事実として決まっていることでなく,あくまでも it が言った内容。 「(日本が言うところの)中国による "拡大" であるものに対する抗議」 この what は over の後の目的語としての名詞の役割を果たしつつ, (it said) をはさんで,was に対する主語の役割を果たしていて, 「もの」というのは便宜上の訳です。

関連するQ&A

• of what it said was…

英語やり直し組です The Arabic television network Al-Jazeera broadcast brief excerpts of what it said was a recording from the fugitive terrorist. (1)brief excerpts of what …はどういう意味になるのでしょうか? excerptを調べると引用、抜粋と書いてあったのですが「放送する」ということから抜粋?のような意味だと思ったのですがそれでも意味がわからないです。。。 基本的に間違えているのかもしれませんがこのような~of what it said was …のような形のit saidは挿入句のようだと今まで考えていたのですがそれでいいのでしょうか? ofの後ろなのでwhat it saidを一塊と考えるとof + 節 となるから駄目だと思うのですがどういう風に考えるべきなのでしょうか? お願いします。。。

• itはいるんですか?

It was not what you said but how you said it that made him angry. whatのところはitがないのに、howのところにはitがあるのはどうしてですか?

• Say it was...の意味について

下記の文章の「Say it was 500mb」どのようなニュアンスの言い回しなのでしょうか? 「たとえば500mbだったとしましょう」のような「もし仮に」的なものなのでしょうか? That depends on the alloted space your hosting allows. Say it was 500mb. the biggest file you could upload would have to be 500mb or less.

• What I meant was that it was missin

What I meant was that it was missing something. メールの中のこの意味がわからないと送ったら、下記のように説明してくれました。 仕事で疲れて、電車にゆられてぼーっとして・・・という感じだと思うのですが、missing somethingが、どういうことなのか、よくわからないので、教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。 The ride on the train has a feel about it, the swaying of the cars, the click and clack of the train over the track, The look of the outside and all the people inside. gives it personality. Well that day the train felt it had no personality, I guess I was tired work is very busy, I really need to find a better job with better hours.

• it is what it is

My family has never been particularly close, emotionally. I have only one sibling, an older sister, who lived nearby until she retired elsewhere about four years ago. (I found out she was moving because my daughter read about it on Facebook -- but it is what it is.) it is what it isの意味をよろしくお願いします

• ..... was that, .....

長文問題です。 イギリスの天候が1日の中でも変わりやすいという記述のあと、こう続きます。 The English weather has also helped to make the Englishman adaptable. It has been said that one of the reasons why the English colonized so much of the world was ( ア ), whatever the weather conditions they met abroad, they had already experienced something like them at home. ( ア ) (1)that (2)which (3)what (4)why (1)thatが入ると思いました。 会話の中で相手の言ったことをthatで受けるThat sounds good. のようなthatです。 ここでは、前文を受けてthatにしていると思います。 よろしくお願いします。

• it

They said you particularly wanted to talk to me. What was that? 上の文でthatのところをitにしてはダメなら理由を教えて下さい。いつもitを使うかthatを使うか迷います。どう判断したらよいでしょうか。

• itとthatの違い

前の文の内容を受ける意味で使われるitとthatの違いを教えてください。 (1)She said he she had seen a UFO, but it was a lie. (2)She said he she had seen a UFO, but that was a lie.  1と2のニュアンスの違いを教えてください。 私は、(1)は見たといったところへ行ってみたがUFOなどいなくて、調書か何かにUFOの存在が嘘だった、と記してて (2)は彼女の発言が嘘だったと調書か何かに記してるんじゃないのかと思うのですがイマイチよくわかりません。間違ってたら指摘してください。よろしくお願いします。

• the social meaning of what had gone on was perfectly correct.とは何か?

Memory is an active mental process rather than a simple tape-recording of what has happened. In many ways, this is quite a hard concept to grasp, because we always feel as though we are remembering exactly what happened. But it’s true, nonetheless. (中略) One of the important witnesses in these trials was John Deane, a man who was considered by many to have an astoundingly accurate memory. During the trials, he related a number of very specific conversations which had taken place between the President and other people in the White House. Deane was convinced that he had recounted them accurately. However, later on in the trials, a number of tape-recordings of the same conversations were discovered.  The results were fascinating. In almost every conversation, John Deane’s recollection of what had actually been said was wrong. Different words were used, topics were mentioned in a different order, and sometimes particularly memorable phrases hadn’t actually been said at all. And yet, even though the details were all wrong, the social meaning of what had gone on was perfectly correct. Deane didn’t remember the details accurately, even though he thought he did, but he did remember what had happened. It was the meaning of the events which he actually remembered, and his knowledge of what it all meant influenced his recall of the details.   Nicky Hayes氏の Psychologyという本からの引用ですが、the social meaning of what had gone on was perfectly correct.という部分がよく分かりません。具体的に説明していただけますでしょうか?

• what chance had I with

"What was it?" I asked. "I fell to dreaming about the bog," he said, "and to wondering where it went, and to looking at the sun on it a long way off where it goes silver and golden; and, begob, what chance had I with that upbringing ; and, God help me, I turned my thoughts to Tir-nan-Og." アイルランドの作家の文章です。 what chance had I with that upbringing ; は「私はたまたまそういう気質であった 」というように解釈してよろしいでしょうか? アドバイスよろしくお願いします。