夫婦の農場で働く話とは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 中2の教科書の中に「マジックボックス」というタイトルの話があります。夫婦が農場で働いています。
  • 質問(1):なぜ「A husband and a wife」ではなく「A husband and wife」と書かれているのか疑問に思います。夫も妻も一人だから省略されているのでしょうか。
  • 質問(2):去年の教科書では「A man and his wife are working on their farm.」と書かれていましたが、なぜ新しい教科書では「A husband and his wife」となっているのか理解できません。家族や間柄の単語の前には通常、誰のを表す代名詞が入ることが多いと思うのですが、中2の子供でも理解しやすいアドバイスをお願いします。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

中2教科書 A husband and wife

中2の教科書の中にMagic Boxというタイトルの話があり A husband and wife are working on their farm. という文で始まります。 (1)どうして、A husband and a wife・・・・ではないのですか。 (aは必要ないのでしょうか。夫も妻も一人だから省略されているのですか) (2)去年教科書が改訂されましたが、以前は A man and his wife are working on their farm. でした。 そう考えるとどうして 新しい教科書では A husband and his wife・・・でもないのでしょうか。 ふつう、家族や間柄の単語の前には、誰のを表す代名詞が入ることが多いように思うのですが・・・ 中2の子供でも理解できるようアドバイスをお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.5

割と高級な質問です。 Q1: どうして、A husband and a wife・・・・ではないのか。 A1: (1) a を2度使うのは重複と感じて省きます。(一般に a A and a B よりは a A and B と書く) (2) "a wife" だと「彼の妻」ではない可能性が暗示されます。「ある男とある女」みたいな。でも (1) の理由の方が重要です。 Q2: A husband and his wife・・・ではないのか? A2: A husband and his wife でも構わないのですが、his は重複 (なくても意味が通る) ですので省きます。(英語では理由がない限りそういう重複と見なせる単語は省きます)

kimichi-97
質問者

お礼

わかりやすくありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (4)

回答No.4

from door to door とか、 husband and wife のような 対句表現で無冠詞というのは確かにあります。 しかし、電子辞書(SII の G10)で例文検索すると、 husband and wife の他、 (a) husband and wife とかっこつきのものや a husband and wife のものがけっこうありました。 場面や人によるのでしょうが、やはり「とある~」という感覚で a ~なんだと思います。

kimichi-97
質問者

お礼

丁寧にありがとうございました。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

husband and wife は、それで一つの単位と見られる場合は、a 不定冠詞一つでいい訳です、この「一つの」単位であると言うことを強調して husband-and-wife と、ハイフンで結ぶこともあります。下記にあるように一つの名詞ですから、定冠詞は一つだけです。 http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/man+and+wife?s=t     man and woman も夫婦の場合は冠詞一つです。

kimichi-97
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

回答No.2

(1) 古典的な感覚としては A writer and professor is ~. A writer and a professor are ~. というふうに、それぞれ一人の場合は a を繰り返して 兼務のような場合、一人で a は繰り返さない と習います。 私も中高生の時の参考書でそう習いました。 しかし、それぞれ1人でも a を繰り返さないことも普通です。 逆に繰り返さなくても are なら複数でそれぞれ1人とわかる。 結局、場面によります。 (2) a husband と a を用いて、「とある~」と表現し、 ここで husband をいったん確定したら his wife です。 「とある夫とその妻」 しかし、いきなり続けて「とある夫と、とある妻」 もちろん、別々の夫と妻ではなくです。 husband and wife で「夫婦」というかたまりという感覚もあるでしょう。 そこが a man との違いだと思います。 おっしゃるように、家族・親類関係には所有格をつける、というのもあるのですが、 ここは少し違うのでしょうね。

kimichi-97
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

回答No.1

無冠詞で husband and wife なら正しいです。 (1) では、「結婚している男」と「結婚している女」となり、二人が夫婦であるとまでは言い切っていません。敢えて言い切らないことで、「夫婦ではない」のようにも読み取れますので、誤りです。 A man and his wife A husband and his wife は、両方とも正しいです。 「A husband and wife」は、二人をまとめて一体として考えていると思われます。しかし動詞が are なので、一人ひとり別に数える意味合いも残っています。教科書に載るくらいなので誤りではないと思いますが、あまり見かけない表現だと思います。

kimichi-97
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• what he’s getting up to

Dear Kiki, Do you have any tips on living with a musician? My husband is so moody and sullen when he’s working on music, storming around in his studio, and then half of his songs are about our relationship. We’ve been together forever but this part never seems to get any easier. Thoughts? — Song Wife Dear Song Wife, Well, Song Wife, at least you know what he’s getting up to! what he’s getting up toはどのような意味でしょうか?gettingがなくても同意でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• main level

My son and his wife hardly ever really clean their house. The bathroom on the main level gets cleaned once in a while -- when friends are coming over -- but the ones upstairs are disgusting. main levelはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 100人の不倫妻の物語

以下の問題は原文が英文なので、そのまま示しますが、最後に結論がありますが、それがなぜ起きるのか、論理的に説明してください。 This story concerns a village of 100 maried couples, who were all perfect logicians but had somewhat peculiar social customs. Every evening the men of the village would have a meeting, in a great circle around a campfire, and each would talk about his wife. If when the meeting began a man had any reason to hope that his wife had always been faithful to him, then he would praise her virtue to all of the assembled men. On the other hand, if at any time before the current meeting he had ever gotten proof that his wife had been unfaithful, then he would moan and wail and invoke the terrible curse of the (mail) gods on her. Furthermore, if a wife was ever unfaithful, then she and her lover would immediately inform all of the other men in the village except her husband. All of these traditions were common knowledge among the people of this village. In fact, every wife had been unfaithful to her husband. Thus, every husband knew of every infidelity except for that of his own wife, whom he praised every evening. This situation endured for many years, until a traveling holy man visited the village. After sitting through a session around the campfire and hearing every man praise his wife, the holy man stood up in the center of the circle of husbands and said in a loud voice, "A wife in this village has been unfaithful." For ninety-nine evenings thereafter, the husbands continued to meet and praise their wives, but on the hundredth evening they all moaned and wailed and invoked the terrible curse. 簡単化のため、この問題の村人の男子の数が100人ではなく、A,B,Cの3人(したがって村人の数は彼らの配偶者をいれて6人)からなる場合について、説明してください。したがって、最後の結論部分は"For two evenings thereafter, the husbands continued to meet and praise their wives, but on the third evening they all moaned and wailed and invoked the the terrible curse."となります。 なお、妻たちの不倫の相手は同じ村の男とはかぎらない、外部の人間と考えてかまいません。質問文に不明な部分がある場合は遠慮なく質問をください。

• どのような意味でしょうか

My husband and I have been married for 11 years. My first husband died, and my grown children love "Davis" as a father. Davis is a wonderful man who took care of his kids when they were little, while his wife moved them around the country to follow a married man with whom she was having an affair. A bitter divorce followed, after which his ex turned the children against him. turned the children against himはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• What will become of his wife?

What will become of his wife?のwhatは例えば何を指しているのでしょうか? What is on the table? の what なら、A cat is on the table. の A cat がわからない時に what に変えると書いてありますが、タイトルの文の場合、それはどのような語でしょうか?

• andなのに単数形?

「and」を使えば複数扱いだと習ってきたのですが、最近、英会話の講師に「There are a man and a woman in the room」は間違いで、「There is a man and a woman in the room」が正しいと訂正されました。「bread and butter」のような一体的なものを指す時に例外的に単数扱いになるのは知っていましたが…。  講師の解説は、「and…が付いていても、a manは単数形なんだから単数扱いでいいんだ」というものでいまいち釈然としません。講師の勘違いなら良いのですが、検索すると、海外の英語学習のコミュニティサイトでも後者が正しいというような記述を見かけます。どなたか解説頂けませんでしょうか?お願いいします。

• 和訳してください

It's really nice to know than our grandchildren are healthy and doing well, isn't it?" Mavin said to his wife. "It certainly is, and we must stay well, too. I'm a little worried since you've been working so hard these days," his wife answered with a serious face. In fact, she was somehow more worriedthat night that night that ever about Mavin,s health. Marvin was in his sixties. His hair was turning white, but he was a big and strong man who liked to walk around the lake.

• よろしくお願いします

I read the letter from "Your Husband," who wrote an open letter to his wife explaining how her unwillingness to have sex justified his affair. He was obviously pouring his heart out. I am a 54-year-old woman on hormone replacement. My husband and I enjoy a wonderful sex life, but as I get older, I am less and less interested. I love him and want to make him happy, so once a week I force myself to have sex. If you love someone, you try to understand their needs. But I respect hard honesty. ここでのpouring his heart outはどのような意味でしょうか?(辞書にある意味とは違う気がするのですが)あと、respect hard honestyの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 【文法】動詞 and 動詞, 形容詞.

I remember a mini-paradigm shift I experienced one Sunday morning on a subway in New York. People were sitting quietly--some reading newspapers, some lost in thought, some resting with their eyes closed. It was a calm, peaceful scene. Then suddenly, a man and his children entered the subway car. The children were so loud and rambunctious that instantly the whole climate changed. The man sat down next to me and closed his eyes, apparently oblivious to the situation. 最後の文を自分なりに直訳しました。 その男はわたしの隣に座り目を閉じて、 一見したところその状況に気付いていないようだった。 sat,closedは動詞ですが、最後にobliviousと形容詞が来ています。 正しい文法の理解の仕方をお願いします。 【文法】動詞 and 動詞, 形容詞.

• That’s big of him.

Q: Invalid Marriage: We recently found out that my “husband” is still married to his first wife. I feel like a fraud and want to get an annulment. My “husband” feels like it’s no big deal. It’s a big deal to me. What say you, Prudence? A: Someone who marries his second wife while still married to his first wife is someone who would say bigamy is no big deal. That’s big of him. That’s big of him.はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします