• 締切済み

to work がうまく訳せない

The idea of girls'attending shool met strong opposition from adults in the village, where parents, unaware that urban societies encourage girls' education and barely managing to survive, depend on their daughters to work. 上の文の最後のto workがうまく訳せません。 their daughters が形容詞用法の不定詞 to work の意味上の主語だということは分かるのですが、 「働く娘として頼みとしている」 と訳したのですが、これでよいのでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.5

女の子を学校に遣ると言う考えは、都会では女子の教育が奨励されていることを知らず、娘たちの働きを当てにして、細々と暮らしている村の大人たちの、強い反対に遭った。

• go_urn
  • ベストアンサー率57% (938/1643)
回答No.4

1)depend on + 人 + to do の形には、2つの用法があります。  ア)(文の主語が)~するために[人]に頼る   Don't depend on others to do your work. (自分の仕事をするのに人に頼るな。)  イ)[人]が~するのをあてにする   We can depend on him to come.(彼が来ることはあてにしていい。) 2)ご質問の文は、上のイ)のケースです。   The parents depend on their daughters to work. で、親は娘たちが働くのをあてにしている、となります。 3)文法的には、いろんな解釈が可能かとは思いますが、   ア)は副詞的用法の「目的」と取るのが妥当   イ)は、形容詞的用法と考えても成立しますが、    The parents depend on their daughters working.(working は動名詞)とも言えますし、また The parents want their daughters to work. と似ていますので、名詞的用法と解釈するのも有力かと思います。

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.3

>The idea of girls'attending shool met strong opposition from adults in the village, where parents, unaware that urban societies encourage girls' education and barely managing to survive, depend on their daughters to work. 「その村の大人たちは、少女たちが学校に行くことについて、強く反対していた。(なぜなら、少女たちの)両親らは、現代社会が女性の教育を推進していることを知らず、やっとの思いで生きていたので、自分の娘が働く事に頼り切っていたのである。」  depend onで「頼る」ですが、それがtheir daughters がto workすることです。ですから、 >「働く娘として頼みとしている」 という訳も適切な訳です。現状の労働の担い手として頼っているけど、将来を見据えた教育の重要性は理解できなかったということですね。

noname#171627
noname#171627
回答No.2

depend on A to B AにBする事を頼る 彼女たちの娘たちに働くことを頼る ではないでしょうか。

回答No.1

娘たちが働くことを期待している

関連するQ&A

All staff members should log in to their time and labor accounts daily to record their hours work ed. 1, 品詞と文の要素について All staff members  S  should log in V  to their time and labor accounts 前置詞句? O?目的語? daily  副詞?  to record their hours worked. ←よくわからない。。。 2, 前置詞句は目的語(O)にはならない? 3, Log in toと前置詞を並べていいんですか? 4, To record their hours worked    hours workedというのは何かが省略されているんですかね?

• photo props

I have been married to “Steve” since his daughters were 8 and 6; they are teens now. Their biological mother is a flighty, vain pillhead who uses the girls as photo props. photo propsとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 訳がわかりません

訳が分からないので、教えて頂けましたら助かります。 However, many of these same young people seem to be unaware of some basic rules when it comes to sending e-mail at work. Most of the people who responded to the survey said they didn't check their spelling or punctuation before hitting "send". 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 日本語に直してください!

Many girls “dropped out” of their rich families to join Teresa, and they put on the white sari of the poor. Mother Teresa started the Missionaries of Charity . Her love for the poor soon went far and wide to many places in the world. The Missionaries do not depend only on their kind hearts. They all learn professions like nursing or teaching in order to help the poor. One of their beliefs says, “We should be the salt of the earth.” お願いします。

• raring to go first thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2017年12月号Lesson18(1)のSalmansさんの台詞からです。 People are bright, cheerful and raring to go first thing in the morning.  raring to しきりに…したがっている この講座では初登場の”raring to do”だと思うのですが、Oxford Dictionaryで見ると1920年代に登場ですから、まあ、新顔の部類ですね。”rare”の現在分詞となっていますが、rareはadjectiveとなっています。 形容詞rareは、普通1.1の「まれな,珍しい,めったにない」として出てきます(除く、rare roast beef)が、raringになると積極的な意味になるのは、やはり、現在分詞をいう性格を表しているのでしょうか。 出典かと思われる文献を読んでいたら、次のような文が見つかりました。 the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence [質問] パートナーが朝一番から元気を出している時に、多分、ベッドの中でぶつぶつ言っているのでしょうが、”can barely mumble a coherent sentence”の意味がよく分かりません。”can barely mumble”だと「ぶつぶつ文句さえ言えない」ということで、布団を頭から被っているということでしょうか?よく意味が分かりません。 [ご参考まで] Oxford Dictionaryより rare:1(of an event, situation, or condition) not occurring very often. ‘a rare genetic disorder’ with infinitive ‘it's rare to see a house so little altered’ 1.1 (of a thing) not found in large numbers and so of interest or value. ‘one of Britain's rarest birds, the honey buzzard’ 1.2 Unusually good or remarkable. ‘he plays with rare sensitivity’ raring:with infinitive Very enthusiastic and eager to do something. ‘she was raring to get back to her work’ ‘I'll be ready and raring to go’ Origin:1920s: present participle of rare, dialect variant of roar or rear [出典] https://books.google.co.jp/books?isbn=073821504X DIFFERENT SLEEP SCHEDULES. Night owls seem to marry early bird. You may find that you and your partner are on two totally different clocks, with one of you revving up just when the other is ready to head to bed and the other raring to go first thing in the morning when you can barely mumble a coherent sentence before 9:00 in the morning. ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 英文訳おねがいします。

I am one of the luckiest girls in the world,"Beatrice declared at her graduation party after earning her bachelor's degree from a collage in connecticut,USA. Indeed and it's approproate that the name of the goat that changed her life was Lack. Beatrice's story helps addres two of the most commonly asked questions about foreign assistance:"Dose aid work?"and"What can I do?" The tale begins in the rolling hills of western Uganda, where Beatrice was born and raised. As a girl, she desperately yearned for an education , but it seemd hopeless. Her parents were prasants who couldn't afford to send her to shool. The years passed and Beatrice stayed home to help with the chores. She was on track to become one more illiterate African woman, another of the continent's wasted human resources. In the meantime, the children of a community church in Connecticut wanted to donate money for a good cause. They decided to buy goats for African villagers through an international non-vernmental oranization (NGO)in Arkansas,USA which helps impoverished farming families. A dariry goat in the NGO's online gift catalog cost $120 ; a flock of chicks or ducklings cost just $20. One of the goats bought by the church went to Beatrice's parents and soon produced twins. When the kid goats were wanted , the children of her family drank the goats milk for a nutritional boost and sold the surplus milk for extra money. The cash from the milk accumulated, and Beatrice's parents decided that they could now afford to send their daughter to shool. She was much older than the other first graders, but she was so overjoyed that she studied diligently and rose to be the best student in the shool. An american visiting the shool was impressed and wrote a children's book , Beatrice's Goat, about how the gift of a goat had enabled a bright girl to go to shool. The book was published in 2000 and became a children's best seller. Beatrice was such an outstanding student that she won a scholarship, not only to Uganda's best girls' high shool, but also to a prep shool in Massachusetts and then to the college in Connecticut. Cutting edge のチャプター9の英文です。 (法政大) 長々とすみませんが、 正確な訳が知りたいです。 どうかご協力お願いします。

• 英作文の問題です よろしければ添削お願い致します

英作文の問題です よろしければ添削お願い致します (簡単なご指摘で大助かりです) - テキストの正解: More and more women have their own careers and are economically independent of their husbands. Now a days marriage is not necessarily a must for women. ※今日では、きちんとした職業を持ち、夫に経済的に依存する必要がない女性が増えているので、結婚は女性にとって必ずしも当たり前のものでなくなってきている。 私の文: Now a days the number of woman who works and doesn't need to depend on her husband economically is increasing.. That is why marriage comes to be not necessary to women. よろしくお願いいたします。

• less moisture is available to fall as rain...toの用法は?

(なぜ人間は森林破壊を心配するのか) The losses are difficult to evaluate. However, the loss of tropical forests would have very far-reaching effects both on the countries concerned and on the whole world. The loss to science of animal and plant species in the tropics would be far greater than in temperate regions because of the far greater numbers of species involved. Scientific study of all the innumerable plants and animals in the jungles is still very incomplete and there is much work to be done. There are even more important reasons for some countries to preserve their forests. Trees take in a great deal of water through their roots and release this by transpiration back into the air. This helps to keep the air moist. When forests are removed the air becomes drier, less moisture is available to fall as rain and therefore agriculture suffers. Many savanna regions of the world are being turned into deserts, largely because trees are removed for firewood, or by animals that feed on the grass, and the savanna vegetation cannot survive. It is replaced by desert conditions of no rainfall and almost no vegetation. Large-scale removal of jungles could have the same effect, and thus it is very important that forests should be preserved. (質問)less moisture is available to fall as...の部分のto不定詞の用法が分かりません。 (1) mostureを説明する「形容詞的用法」 (2) availableを説明する「副詞的用法」 それともそれ以外ですか?何かこれと同じ用法の良い例文があれば宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳確認お願いします。(長文です)

It is obvious that, in primitive communities, peasants, left to themselves, would not have parted with the slender surplus upon which the warriors and priests subsisted, but would have either produced less or consumed more. At first, sheer force compelled them to produce and part with the surplus. Gradually, however, it was found possible to induce many of them to accept an ethic according to which it was their duty to work hard, although part of their work went to support others in idleness. By this means the amount of compulsion required was lessened, and the expenses of government were diminished. 「part of their work went on to support others in idleness」の部分です。 (1)goとtoのここでの使い方と用法は?(「費やされる」の意味ですか?toは「~するために」で副詞用法) (2)in idlenessの使い方は?(1.「怠惰な人」のように、名詞othersを修飾する形容詞用法、2.「なにもせずに養う」のように、動詞supportを修飾する副詞用法。

• よろしくお願いします

When I was young, I had an affair with my boss. We fell in love, got married, and, 25 years later, are still happily together. When our affair began, we were both in unhappy relationships. Ending mine was simple—my boyfriend and I shared only a mortgage and a cat. My husband, however, was married with two young children. He and his wife had been fighting for years, and it was clear the marriage was going to end eventually. However, I didn’t know that at the time, and I only went ahead with the affair because I didn’t think about the repercussions. I’ve tried to be a good stepmother to the two girls. I’ve had a cordial relationship with their mother since their divorce, and when the girls were younger, I took my cues from their mother about attending “family” events. shared a mortgageとはどういうことでしょうか?あと、 took my cuesの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします