英文の意味が分かりません

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 「Mama,of course, would simply become prostrate with joy were she able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit.」という例文について理解できない部分があります。
  • 具体的には、「were」がなぜ使用されているのか、また「would simply become prostrate with joy 」が文の主語なのかがわかりません。
  • 全文の意味を含めて、教えていただけませんでしょうか?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の意味が分かりません

「Mama,of course, would simply become prostrate with joy were she able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit.」 という例文に出くわしました。 「would simply become prostrate with joy were she able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit.」 部分がよくわかりません。なぜ、「were」がつくのでしょうか?「would simply become prostrate with joy 」は、主語なのでしょうか?文の構造がいまいちつかめません。 全文訳を含めまして、誰か教えては下さいませんか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • snorioo
  • ベストアンサー率54% (103/188)
回答No.1

もちろんママは、二人の娘を一度の訪問費用で嫁がせることが出来たら、うれしさのあまりただ突っ伏してしまうだろう。 were she able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit = if she were able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit.

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

ご回答、有難うございます。 なるほど、このような意味だったのですね! 有難うございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文の意味が分かりません

「Mama,of course, would simply become prostrate with joy were she able to marry off two daughters for the price of one visit.」 という例文に出くわしました。 「would simply become 」の意味が分かりません。 どなたか、意味を教えては下さいませんか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• この英文の意味を教えてはいただけないでしょうか?

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます二つの英文の違いが分からず、困り果てております。 1, Emma was the younger of two daughters but only she lived with her father with the family home. 2, Her sister Isabella lived in London with her husband and five children. 教えていただきたいのですが、なぜ、1の英文ではliveの後ろにwith、次にatと場所が来るのに、 2の文ではliveの後ろにinと場所が来て、その次にwithがくるのでしょうか? 違いが全く分かりません。 両者で微妙なニュアンスが異なるのでしょうか?それとも、全く同じなのでしょうか? どなたか、教えてはいただけないでしょうか? 宜しくお願い致します。

• わからない英文があります

"And on and on, one by one, she lampoons the traditional wedding vows. Until the talented Bradshaw is better able to grasp the complexities of married life, she would be better advised to explore the vow of silence." Until the talented Bradshaw is better able to grasp the complexities of married lifeとはどういう意味ですか?

• 英文の意味を教えてください。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を購入予定です。値段の事と送料の事と、Xマークの事について質問をしていました。すみませんが意味を教えてくれませんか? お願いします。 A price: B price: For handbags - A prices are $29. I can ask Sam but pretty much he will deny it. All of our  A price are getting at A Price even they buy containers. Also, if you were to ship the products by sea I would like you to give me a rough estimate of the shipping fee? I would like you to give me an estimate for my October order as an example. • I’ll contact shipping company and find out for you. “X” means we are going have them in stock.

• 英文添削お願いします。

添削お願いします。 文章の途中なのでわかりにくいかと思いますが・・・ <書きたい文章> もしあることが彼女の思う通りにならなれけば、彼女は攻撃的になってしまいます。 ほかの一人は、一方的にしゃべっています。 また、ほかの子は触られることをとても嫌います。 私はこれらのこどもやその家族と関わる中で、あらためて2つのことを学びました。 ひとつめは、こどもたちは学校生活や普段の生活でたくさんの困難を抱えていることです。 ふたつめは、彼らの親は彼らのたくさんの困難を本当に心配しており、いろいろなことを試しているということです。 If a certain thing doesn't become as she thinks, she would become aggressive. Another one of them talks one- sidely. Another child is very unpleasant in touching. During I relation with these children and the family, I learnt two things again. The first is that children have a lot of troubles in their school life and usual life. The second is that their parents really worry about a lot of their difficulties, and the trial and error is repeated.

• 英文の意味の取り方を教えてください。

英文の意味がよくわかりません。 It is difficult to change someone's opinion by badgering him. The child who begs his mother to “get off his back” when she implores him for some assistance with the household drudgery, may very well plead interminably for some special privilege when he wants something for himself. How paradoxical that neither is able to perceive that no one likes being nagged. The child who begs his mother to “get off his back” when she implores him for some assistance with the household drudgery, may very well plead interminably for some special privilege when he wants something for himself.の個所について質問があります。 *この英文はwhen節が2つ出てきていると思うのですが、 彼の母親が家の骨を折る仕事の援助を何か彼に頼んでいるときと 彼が自分自身のことを何かやりたいときが重なっている、という感じなのでしょうか? *for some special privilege→つまり、彼は自分のことを優先させたい、ということですか? * “get off his back” →「彼を非難することをやめる」という意味ですか?            それとも「彼に構わない」という意味ですか? お手数ですが教えてください。

• 次の英文の意味を教えていただけませんか.

以下のような文章がありました. My mother never let herself get down; no matter how bad things were, she stayed cheerful. Even though we had a hard life, she still maintained the attitude that everything was fine. She took life one day at a time, made the best of every day, and never let things get the better of her. I remember her coming home tired from her job at the restaurant and saying that we were lucky - that as bad as things seemed to be, there were people far worse off than we were. (以下,省略)  上の英文の中で,She took life one day at a time, というのはどんなことを言っているのですか.one day (ある日),at a time (一度に) に間違いがなければ,took life の解釈にかかってくるのですが,辞書で当たってみた限り,life の前に修飾語を置かないで take life と使った例を見出せませんでした.これは一種の慣用的表現なのでしょうか.もし慣用表現でないとしたら,どうしてそういう解釈になるのかも含めて解説して頂ければと思います.宜しくお願いします.

• 英文の構造がわかりません

The two artists would never have become what they are today had they not from the first drawn nourishment from the German spirit and grown strong with it. 以上の英文の和訳がわかりません。 英語に詳しい方解説よろしくお願い致します。

• 下記の英文の意味を教えてください。

The expectation that society had for a women was that she would either get married and have children and stay in a house without working at a job, or that she would stay in a convent and be a nun. However, She, Catalina, decided that those options were not right for her, and she decided to go after her dreams and become a conquistador like many men around her. How did Catalina's decision to become a conquistador go against the expectation that society had for her? 「社会は女性は結婚し、子供を産み、仕事に取り組むことなく家にい続けるもの、または、修道女になるべきだと思っていた。しかし、カタリーナはそれがいやで、彼女は夢を求めて、コンキスタドールになることに決めました。この決断はどのように社会の予想に反していますか?」 ...という意味でしょうか。 それに対しての答えは、 社会の予想 女性が結婚をし、子供を産み、仕事に取り組むことなく家にい続けるもの。 または、修道女になるべきだと思っていた。 カタリーナの行動 修道院から逃げ出し、髪を短く切り、男装し、スペインの街を転々とし、あげくのはて新大陸(メキシコ)を征服しに行った。 と、このようなことを書けばいいのでしょうか?

• 英文の翻訳をよろしくお願いします!

No one loves the mosquito. But the mosquito may decide that she loves you. She? Yes, she. If the mosquito were not a female, it would not need to bite you. The female mosquito bites, not because she's unfriendly, but because she needs blood to lay eggs.