Indifferent Fictional Smart Houses: The Antithesis of Real-World Smart Houses

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Real-world smart houses cater to their occupants' needs, while fictional smart houses often treat them indifferently.
  • The Jetsons' twentieth-century apartment exemplifies the lack of consideration in fictional smart houses.
  • George Jetson's daily routine is an automated process, leaving him feeling more remanufactured than awakened.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文和訳です

One of real-world smart houses’ key selling points is their ability to meet, and even anticipate, their occupants’ needs. Fictional smart houses, on the other hand, often seem as indifferent to their occupants as an industrial assembly line is to the “product” that rolls along it. The twenty-first-century apartment depicted in the animated TV series The Jetsons(1962) neatly illustrates this point. George Jetson, every morning of his working life, is ejected from his bed and propelled into the bathroom, where the robotic arms of the Dress-O-Matic comb, brush, shave, and dress him. He emerges perfectly groomed for the office, but the process is so automated―and George so overpowered by it―that he is not so much awakened as remanufactured. A mannequin or orangutan would, if placed in the bed a moment before the alarm went off, emerge from the bathroom looking as much like George Jetson as biology allowed. George’s disastrous encounter with the apartment’s dog-walking treadmill shown behind the closing credits of each episode makes the same point: the machine, not the man, is in charge. よろしくお願いします^^;

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • snorioo
  • ベストアンサー率54% (103/188)
回答No.1

現実のスマートハウスのセールスポイントの一つは居住者の要求に応え、さらに予想さえすることである。 一方小説などのそれは、居住者のことにはしばしば無関心なようで、それは工場の組み立てラインがラインを流れていく製品に無関心なのと同様である。 テレビシリーズの「ジェットソンたち」で描かれている21世紀のアパートは見事にこの点を明らかにしている。 ジョージ・ジェットソンはそのサラリーマン人生で毎朝ベッドから放り出され、バスルームに運ばれて、自動身だしなみ装置のロボットアームで櫛をあてられ、ブラシをかけられ、ひげを剃られ、服を着せられる。 彼は完璧にサラリーマンとしての身だしなみを整えられるが、それはすべて自動化された工程である。それに逆らうことが出来ないジョージは目覚めさせられたというより、再生産されたのである。 マネキンでもオランウータンでも、アラーム音がなる直前にベッドに寝かされれば、ジョージ・ジェットソンと、生物学が許す限りそっくりな外見でバスルームから現れるであろう。 毎回番組終了の字幕のむこうに現れる犬の散歩装置とジョージとの悲惨な遭遇も同じ意図を示している :人ではなく、機械が犬を散歩させているのだ。

関連するQ&A

• 英文和訳です

One of real-world smart houses’ key selling points is their ability to meet, and even anticipate, their occupants’ needs. Fictional smart houses, on the other hand, often seem as indifferent to their occupants as an industrial assembly line is to the “product” that rolls along it. The twenty-first-century apartment depicted in the animated TV series The Jetsons(1962) neatly illustrates this point. George Jetson, every morning of his working life, is ejected from his bed and propelled into the bathroom, where the robotic arms of the Dress-O-Matic comb, brush, shave, and dress him. He emerges perfectly groomed for the office, but the process is so automated―and George so overpowered by it―that he is not so much awakened as remanufactured. A mannequin or orangutan would, if placed in the bed a moment before the alarm went off, emerge from the bathroom looking as much like George Jetson as biology allowed. George’s disastrous encounter with the apartment’s dog-walking treadmill shown behind the closing credits of each episode makes the same point: the machine, not the man, is in charge. industrial assembly line 工業用のベルトコンベア式に流れる製造組み立てライン the Dress-O-Matic 番組に登場する腕だけからできている身繕いロボット so overpowered by~ ~に圧倒されて not so much awakened as remanufactured 本人を目覚めさせるというより出勤姿の本人に変えてしまう dog-walking treadmill 犬の散歩用トレッドミル よろしくお願いします^^;

• 英文和訳ですが全然わかりません^^;

Popular culture focuses on flying cars’ glittering image and carefully sidesteps their complex realities. It treats them as the highest of high technology, symbols of technology’s power to improve everyday life. Unlike other symbols of the high-tech future―robots, smart houses, and intelligent computers―flying cars are never shown breaking down, much less developing malevolent agendas of their own. They are as reliable and easy to use as a telephone or refrigerator is in our world and, in stories set in the future, as familiar and unremarkable to their users. sidesteps (問題などを)避ける smart houses スマートハウス flying cars are never shown breaking down, much less developing malevolent agendas of their own 空飛ぶ車は故障している状態や、ましてそれ自体悪意を持ってしまうように描かれることはまずない ご協力お願いします

• 英文和訳

This attention is welcome. But today’s spike is only part of a broader set of worries. As countries focus on food, they need to distinguish between three classes of problem: structural, temporary and irrelevant. Unfortunately, policymakers have so far paid too much attention to the last of these and not enough to the first. The main reasons for high prices are temporary: drought in Russia and Argentina; floods in Canada and Pakistan; export bans by countries determined to maintain their own supplies, whatever the cost to others; panic buying by importers spooked into restocking their grain reserves. Influences outside agriculture make matters worse: a weaker dollar makes restocking cheaper in local currencies; and dearer oil pushes up the cost of inputs (it takes vast amounts of energy to make nitrogen fertiliser, so fertiliser prices track oil prices). どなたかお願いします

• この英文の和訳お願いします。 難しいです。

There are therefore 192 subjects(forty per cent of the sample) whose happiness and domestic efficiency are to a greater or lesser extent dependent on the ready accessibility of their children or other relatives. No solution of the problems of old age will be acceptable to the people themselves or to their children which does not take the family factor into account. King, Sir Geoffrey, formerly Permanent Secretary, Ministry, of Pensions and National Insurance, "Policy and Practice", Old Age in the Modern World, 1995. Studies in other places such as Hammersmith, Acton, and Northern Ireland have also produced some evidence of close ties between old people and their relatives and of a willingness to bear the burden of nursing care. But the evidence gained in these inquiries was incidental to their main purposes. There has been no specialized study of the place of the old person in the family. Yet such detailed knowledge may be fundamental to any understanding of old age or of its problems. That is the starting point of this study. How often do old people see their children and their brothers and sisters, and do they live near or far? What services do relatives perform for each other every day and at times of crisis? What is the differences in family role of an old man and an old woman? Can a more precise meaning be given to loneliness and social isolation and what does it mean to be widowed, single, or childless? Is the status of old people undergoing change? Which old people make the greatest demand on the State aid or replace the efforts of the family? These are some of the questions which will be discussed in this report.

• 英文和訳お願いします><

以下の文章を和訳お願いします>< とても困ってます。助けてください; Gambling on a smaller wedding dressーLisa Shumpert has six months to lose three sizes and 40 Ibs. 1. Meet Lisa: Lisa Shumpert is the tallest and the heaviest of all the "Dateline Diet Challenge" brides at 5 feet 9 inches and 308 Ibs. "I am not walking down the aisle looking like a balloon," She says. "Right now I'm the biggest person in my bridal party. I want the attention to be on me because it's my wedding and not because, 'Wow, she's huge.'" Shumpert has battled being overweight all her life. She's tried dieting before but has never been able to keep the weight off. And obesity runs in her family——her father was obese and died of a heart attack when she was 7 years old. 2. But at the age of 29, Shumpert has a lot going for her. She's a successful accounrant and says she gets lots of support from her mother and two sisters. Shopping for a dress wasn't easygoing. "The largest size of The dress I chose still didn't fit me. So it was like, 'Okay, Lisa this is it.' No one wants to not fit their wedding dress." As any bride knows, one of the first decisions is picking a dress which is usually orderd months in advance. So Shumpert is talking a big gamble by ordering a gown three sizes too small for her. To meet her goal, she chooses the appropriately-named "Wedding Dress Diet" by Robyn Flipse and Jacqueline Shannon. Shumpet wants to lose 40 Ibs. by her wedding day. She literally can't afford to fail. 3. Month 1: Shumpert realizes that at this point there is no "Plan B." "If I don't reach my goal, I can't fit in my dress, and my dress would have been bought, " she says. "I've never had a waist, and I would just like to see a waist at some point in my lifetime." To lose weight, Shumpert starts working out with a personal trainer at The Training Loft. She is getting help revamping her eating habits from Flipse, a nutritionist. The "Wedding Dress Diet" emphasizes counting calories. She's limited to 2,200 calories a day — 1,000 less than what she consumes now. And if getting started on a diet wasn't hard enough Shumpert also has plenty of wedding worries, including her guest list: just "My reception hall only holds 175 people. And when I did my guest list just for my family and friends, I had about 169. So that doesn't leave Josh with many people."

• この英文を和訳してほしいです。

There is some evidence that these improvements in the characteristics of elders have resulted in more positive views of aging. Tibbitts claimed that during the past 30 to 40 years, U.S. society has moved from holding negative stereotypes of old people to holding positive views in which elders are seen as being able to contribute to the quality of life for themselves, their communities, and society as a whole. Schonfield even argued that the assumption of negative attitudes toward old people is a "social myth" perpetuated by the gerontological literature. We will be examining these attitudes in derail in Chapter 2, but there does appear to be a substantial shift from negative to positive attitudes. The improvements in the physical, mental,social, and economic characteristics of elders have been so marked, and there have been so many programs and services developed for elders only, that many have begun to criticize these programs as discrimination in favor of the aged, or positive ageism. We will be discussing examples of positive ageism throughout this book; but the ones that have drawn most criticism so far are the Medicare program and some features of the Social Security System, such as the automatic cost of living increases in benefits and the tax-exemption of Social Security benefits for most elders. Perhaps these programs have been criticized the most because they involve the most money. Critics are beginning to argue that since elders are no longer deprived economically and since they are now much better off mentally, physically, and socially than they were in the past, it is no longer necessary or fair to continue the enormous expense of these special supports and programs available only to elders. Some argue that the way to reduce positive ageism is to make these supports and programs available to all ages on the basis of need. For example, they recommend that the national health insurance, which only elders now enjoy, be extended to all ages. It is clear that positive ageism is becoming an important issue and promises to become even more important as we are faced with more older people and more expensive programs for "seniors only."

• 英文和訳

And should we defeat every enemy, and should we double our wealth and conquer the stars, and still be unequal to this issue, then we will have failed as a people and as a nation. For, with a country as with a person, "what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" There is no Negro problem. There is no Southern problem. There is no Northern problem. There is only an American problem.This was the first nation in the history of the world to be founded with a purpose. The great phrases of that purpose still sound in every American heart, North and South: "All men are created equal." "Government by consent of the governed." "Give me liberty or give me death." And those are not just clever words, and those are not just empty theories. In their name Americans have fought and died for two centuries and tonight around the world they stand there as guardians of our liberty risking their lives. Those words are promised to every citizen that he shall share in the dignity of man. This dignity cannot be found in a man's possessions. It cannot be found in his power or in his position. It really rests on his right to be treated as a man equal in opportunity to all others. It says that he shall share in freedom. He shall choose his leaders, educate his children, provide for his family according to his ability and his merits as a human being. To apply any other test, to deny a man his hopes because of his color or race or his religion or the place of his birth is not only to do injustice, it is to deny Americans and to dishonor the dead who gave their lives for American freedom. どなたかお願いします。

• この英文の和訳お願いします。 難しいです。

I have chosen to begin this book with a description of the life of this one individual because he typifies what so many observers regard as the social "problem" of old age. In his case we would find it impossible to ignore the crucial facts of bereavement, absence of children and other relatives, infirmity, and virtual social ostracism. If we mean anything by isolation from society he must be the sort of person we keep in mind. But is he exception or rule? Are there many others like him in our society? Many sociologists and administrators believe there are. One administrator expressed it in these terms: Provision for old age has emerged as a "problem" largely because of the loosening of family ties and insistence on individual rights and privileges to the exclusion of obligations and duties which has developed so markedly in recent years. Whereas families used to accept responsibility for their old people they now expect the State to look after them. The care and attention which the family used to provide for them must be provided in some other way. The separation from kin is supposed to be one of the features which serves to differentiate the industrial from the so-called primitive societies. But do old people in Britain lose touch with their married children and lead an isolated life? Are the bonds of kinship of little or no consequence especially in urban areas? We have only to pose these questions to realize the meed for more facts. What few there are do not confirm many current suppositions. Sheldon, in a pioneering study, drew attention to the important part played by relatives of old people in Wolverhampton and said that too little was known about their role.

• 英文和訳お願いいたします!!

訳してみたものの、綺麗な日本語になりません! 参考にさせて頂きますので、 どなたか和訳の模範をお願いいたします。。。 (1)In another experiment, she found that when elders were presented with new computer exercises, they paused longer before reaching and took longer to complete the tasks, yet they made 50 percent fewer errors, probably because of their more deliberate. (2)Just as different parts of a person's body age at different rates, so do different parts of mind. As adults advance in age, perception of sights, sounds and smells takes a bit longer. and laying down new information into memory becomes difficult. The ability to remember something quickly also fails. And it is sometimes harder to concentrate and maintain attention. おねがいいたします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします!!

Anxiety is a normal emotion that all people experience to some extent. Indeed, anxiety is generally seen as an essential part of the adaptive response to stressful or threatening stimuli. An appropriate amount of anxiety heightens caution and awareness in potentially dangerous or stressful situations, and so constitutes part of the "fight or flight" response. The feeling manifested in this anxious state is somewhat difficult to define, but may be described as a sense of unpleasant anticipation and excessive mental tension. Most people accept occasional anxiety as an integral part of normal life, but a significant number of individuals experience anxiety that is chronic, uncontrollable, and comletely out of proportion to the generating stimulus. In such individuals, anxiety has ceased to serve an adaptive purpose; it has become pathological, or, in other words, an anxiety disorder.