35年前の名曲「Lucille」の歌詞についての疑問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 35年前に米国で流行した名曲「Lucille」の歌詞について疑問が生じました。
  • 具体的には、登場人物の役割や関係について理解したいです。
  • ご存知の方からのサードオピニオンをお願いします。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

昔好きだった歌をもう一度読み返して・・・

これは、35年前に米国で流行したKenny Rogersの Lucilleという歌の 歌詞ですが、改めて読み返して、「エツ?」と思える部分がありましたので、お解りの方へ質問してみたくなりました。 (1) 登場人物は三人("I" と "She" と "He")で、冒頭の"she took off her ring."の"She"は中頃で出てくる"the woman"で、所謂、"Luccile"だと理解していたのですが、それでよいのでしょうか? (2) それでは、冒頭に彼女を見つける"I"は、「通りすがりの男性」と理解してよいのでしょうか? 長年、思い込んでいたので、サード・オピニオンが聞きたくて、どなたかご教示願います。 In a bar in Toledo,across from the depot, On a barstool she took off her ring. I thought I'd get closer So I walked on over. I sat down and asked her her name. When the drinks finally hit her, She said,I'm no quitter, But I finally quit living on dreams. I'm hungry for laughter, And here ever after I'm after whatever the other life brings. In the mirror I saw him, And I closely watched him. I thought how he looked out of place. He came to the woman Who sat there beside me. He had a strange look on his face. The big hands were calloused, He looked like a mountain, For a minute I thought I was dead. But he started shaking, His big heart was breaking, He turned to the woman and said, You picked a fine time to leave me,Lucille With four hungry children and a crop in the field. I've had some bad times, I've lived through some sad times, But this time the hurtin' won't heal. You picked a fine time to leave me,Lucille. After he left us,I ordered more whiskey. I thought how she'd made him look small. From the lights of the barroom to the rented hotel room We walked without talking at all. She was a beauty,but when she came to me She must have thought I'd lost my mind. I couldn't hold her, for the words that he told her Kept comin' back time after time.

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

何度も聞いてみました。現代風ではあるが哀愁のあるいい歌ですね。 私の様な下衆にとれば、いざ鎌倉と身構えたのに役に立たない息子・・分別を背負わされた(妻や子供を持つ大人)の’さが’を見事に描いた大人の唄のように聞こえました。 下記の部分が男と女の言葉で後は彼のその夜に経験したことの叙述だと思います。 >彼女 (Lucille) の言葉 I'm no quitter,But I finally quit living on dreams.I'm hungry for laughter, And here ever after I'm after whatever the other life brings. >男(夫)の言葉 You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille With four hungry children and a crop in the field. I've had some bad times, I've lived through some sad times, But this time the hurtin' won't heal. You picked a fine time to leave me,Lucille. この歌についての説明を見つけました。

参考URL:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucille_(Kenny_Rogers_song)
jama2299
質問者

お礼

誠にありがとうございました。 な~るほど、曲のイメージでかなりスイートさを感じておりましたが、その実、かなりストイックな内容であったのかと再認識致しました。 1977年米国は、ベトナム戦争の喪失感が漂いつつ、人々はこのようなカントリーを深く愛する反面、「サタデーナイトフィーバー」がヒットした年でもありました。(これも、ビージーズの曲にカントリー要素が詰まっていたせいかも?)

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

やはり理解が違っていたようですね・・文才のない私はダサい要約しか出来ませんが・・・ 私(彼)は船着場前のバーのいすに座って指輪をはずしている行きずりの女をみて何とかなりそうと隣に座り話しかける。 酔いが回ったころに彼女は身の上話をし始めるが、彼女を探していた夫に見つかる。(行きずりの)私も巻き込まれてひと悶着起りそうであったが、男(夫)は彼女(Lucille)に怨み辛みを述べただけであきらめて帰る。しばらく飲んだあとに彼女をホテルに連れて帰り、彼女もその気になって寄ってくるが with four hungry children and a crop in the field の言葉が頭から離れずに、彼女を抱くことが出来なかった。 と言う話だと思いますよ。

jama2299
質問者

お礼

ご回答戴きありがとうございます。 この歌、カントリーで1977年当時(日本ではやたらピンクレディーで盛り上がっていた頃)に米国東部では毎日のようにラジオで流れていた曲です。 You picked a fine time to leave me,Lucille With four hungry children and a crop in the field. この部分が「サビ」で、最愛の彼女と別れた夫の想いをKennyが歌い上げていると思っていたのですが、おっしゃられるように、改めて歌詞を読むと情景的には微妙なところを感じます。 ご存知でなければ、一度、聴いてみてください。 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RShRoz8aqXQ

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.1

(1) 登場人物は三人("I" と "She" と "He")で、冒頭の"she took off her ring."の"She"は中頃で出てくる"the woman"で、所謂、"Luccile"だと理解していたのですが、それでよいのでしょうか? (2) それでは、冒頭に彼女を見つける"I"は、「通りすがりの男性」と理解してよいのでしょうか? その通りのようです。 I = 通りすがりの男性で(かれの経験を語っている) She = women = Luccile He = Luccileが捨てた夫

関連するQ&A

• どんな内容か教えてください。お願いします!

He was used to her being silent. But this silence went on and on and on. She was just staring into the garden. After a time,she said,in her precise conversational tone, "The only thing I want,the only thing I want at all in this world,is to see that boy." She stared at the garden and he stared with her,until the grass began to dance with empty light,and the edges of the shrubbery wavered. For a brief moment he shared the strain of not seeing the boy.Then she gave a little sigh,sat down,neatly as always,and passed out at his feet. After this she became,for her,voluble. He didn't move her after she fainted,but sat patiently by her,until she stirred and sat up;then he fetched her some water,and would have gone away,but she talked.

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I had my glasses on again, and was walking on. "How did your husband react to his sister's accusations?" I said. "He was remarkably kind." "Kind?" "Oh, yes, in the circumstances. Because she started up a lot of gossip in the neighbourhood. It was only a small town. It was a long time before I could persuade him to send her to a home for the blind where she could be looked after. There was a terrible bond between them. Unconscious incest." "Didn't you know that when you married him? I should have thought it would have been obvious." She looked at me again. "I had not studied psychology at that time," she said. I thought, neither had I. We were silent for the third turn about the lake. Then she said, "Well, I was telling you how I came to study psychology and practise it. My husband had this breakdown after his sister went away. He had delusions. He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. That's significant. Unconsciously he felt he had blinded his sister. Because unconsciously he wanted to do so. He keeps confessing that he did so." Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖のまわりを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ********************************************* 最後の方に He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. とあるのですが、 But eyes, you see.のButはどういう意味になって、この一文はどう訳すのでしょうか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "It can all be explained psychologically, as we've tried to show to my husband. We've told him and told him, and given him every sort of treatment--shock, insulin, everything. And after all, the stuff didn't have any effect on his sister immediately, and when she did go blind it was caused by acute glaucoma. She would probably have lost her sight in any case. Well, she went off her head completely and accused her brother of having put the wrong drug in the bottle deliberately. This is the interesting part from the psychological point of view--she said she had seen something that he didn't want her to see, something disreputable. She said he wanted to blind the eye that saw it. She said...." We were walking round the lake for the second time. When we came to the spot where I had seen her face reflected I stopped and looked over the water. "I'm boring you." "No, no." "I wish you would take off those glasses." I took them off for a moment. I rather liked her for her innocence in not recognizing me, though she looked hard and said, "There's a subconscious reason why you wear them." "Dark glasses hide dark thoughts," I said. "Is that a saying?" "Not that I've heard. But it is one now." She looked at me anew. But she didn't recognize me. These fishers of the mind have no eye for outward things. Instead, she was "recognizing" my mind:I already came under some category of hers. となっています。

• 話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか

話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか 1 The man said to me ,"Would you show me your album?" 2 She asked her mother whether she might go on a picnic some of our friends if it was fine the next Saturday. 3 This morning my father told me that he was going fishing in the lake tomorrow and asked me if I would not go with him. 4 She said she hada seen her brother the previous week but that she had not seen him since. 5 She said he was giving a party that week but she was sorry not be invited to it. 6 I said to my mother ," I am thirsty . Please give me something to drink." 7 The child said ,"What a long nose this animal has!" 8 Tom asked Lucy what she thought of his plan. できたら和訳も教えてください。 よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I came home last night after a girls’ night out and noticed that my husband’s phone was not plugged in. I picked it up, plugged it into the charger and took a peek to see what’s happening on Facebook. I open it up and there I see a picture of one of his friends in a bikini, zoomed into her body and chest. I woke him and asked him about it, and he, in a sleepy daze, admitted that he used it earlier in the night to masturbate to. masturbate toはtoがなければいけないのでしょうか?なぜ必要なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

My best childhood friend married a boy she met through me in high school. I am closer to her but friends with both. He smokes pot. I knew he was hiding it and told him if she asked me outright I wouldn’t lie, but I didn’t see it as my place to “tattle” on him, and I don’t personally think it’s a big deal. I still don’t, except she got busted spending a lot more on a craft hobby than they agreed upon. she got busted spending a lot more on a craft hobby than they agreed uponの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• flew her out

My father began dating four years after my mother passed away from a terrible bout with cancer. He and I have always been close; in fact, I have always considered him to be one of my best friends. But since he started dating he has changed. I just traveled across the country for a family funeral and discovered that he has a new love in his life, and that he flew her out to see all of our extended family. My dying grandmother got to meet her, but I didn't even know her name! flew her outはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、got toはcouldに置き換えられるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• nuanced

My husband and I agreed not to give each other gifts for Valentine’s Day, so I bought him nothing. He bought a few small items and left them on the counter for me to find when I got home after 8 p.m. I tried to joke it off by saying, “I thought we agreed to not buy gifts.” His retort was snotty: “So I’m guilty of getting you something nice. I’m sorry.” After putting the kids in bed, an argument ensued. I told him I appreciated the thought behind the gift and thanked him for it, but shared that it makes me feel guilty for not reciprocating. He continued to apologize for buying something. I want him to understand that I’m hurt that he reneged on our agreement, not that he bought something. (This isn’t a financial issue.) I know it is nuanced and I seem ungracious, but he doesn’t see the difference. ここでのnuancedはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします!

Homophone When we moved to northen California, my husband began deliberating about buying a sailboat. He struggled over our budget, and nagged me for help in his decision.I told him that it was strictly his choice to make, that I was with him either way, but he had to decide. One morning, as he hurried out the door on his way to work, I waved and said, 'Bye.' He broke into a big grin and called over his shoulder, 'I was hoping you'd say that!' Him& Hymn A woman had been very faithful in attending all her church's services for many years, and the minister wanted to reward her.At the next Sunday-evening service he announced, 'For her loyalty to the church, we shall reward Miss Jones by letting her pick three hymns for the evening.' 'Oh, goody!' exclaimed Miss Jones. And, pointing to various members in the congregation, she said, 'I'll take HIM and HIM and HIM.' 宜しくお願いします!

• 英訳のチェックをお願いいたします。

以下の日本語を英文にしたいのですが、チェックしていただけますでしょうか。 彼女は希死念慮にて一年近く心理療法を受けていた。 彼女は「私はこの国(母国)を出て、好きな国に行く。そしてお金が尽きたら死ぬ」と告げる。 医師は「せめてそれまで心理療法を続けたい」といった。 彼女は医師が死ぬのを思いとどまるように言わず、ただ続けたいと言ったことに引っかかっていた。 医師は後の診察で、「あの時はあなたの死への強さに圧倒された。無力感を感じたの事実」と答えた。しかし「あの時は圧倒されたのは事実だが、もう一度あなたの治療を続けたい。」といった。 彼女は彼が一度は彼女の自殺の意思を認めたという思いが消えない。 医師は、今は違うという、という。 です。 She has a suicidal thought and she has been having a psychotherapy for nearly one year. One day she said "I am going to leave my country and go to my favourite country. When my money has gone, I will commit suicide." Her Dr. told her "Can I see you just until your leaving." but didn't say Please stop. I would like to help or I am here for you. Next consultation, Dr. told her " Actually I to was overpowered your power to death. I felt powerless. however I really want to continue the session. " She tried to understand him but she is having a thought as he didn't stop her suicide and he accept her leave. How can I trust him again? He gave up me once. が私の文章です。 どうぞよろしくおねがいします

• 意味を教えください

About a year ago, I went on a few dates with "Daniel." I had a great time and was interested in what might come of it, but after those initial few dates, he started to fade away: He took longer to answer calls and texts, conspicuously left town right before Valentine's Day, became markedly less flirty when we did talk. I chalked it up to loss of interest and was unsurprised when I stopped hearing from him altogether. About a month later, he got in touch with me to let me know he felt bad about ghosting me, and that he had done so because things had gotten serious with someone else he had started dating around the same time, "Kate." At this point, he was happily in a relationship with her, and said he wished me well. Last week, he reached out to me on Facebook wanting to talk about [something involving a mutual interest of ours], and we met for coffee -- not a date, in my understanding. There, I found out that he has since broken up with Kate. He didn't immediately ask me out on an actual date, but he did so last night -- and now I owe him a response. On the one hand, I still really like this guy as a person; all the things that attracted me to him last year are still true, and I'm still single. On the other hand, it stings that -- oversimplification alert -- something about Kate caused him to choose her over me when we had both begun dating him at the same time. I owe him a response.とoversimplification alertの意味を教えください。よろしくお願いします