英語:his own, himselfちがい

his ownとhimselfの使い方の違いは何ですか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

his own +名詞で「彼自身の~」のように,所有格の意味で「自身の~」 この名詞が前に出ていたりして省略されると his own だけとなります。 He wanted to lend my pen though he had his own. 「彼自身の(もの→ペン)を持っているのに」 himself は He himself did it. He did it himself. 「彼自身でそれをした」 he という主格の強調。 He likes himself. 「自分のことが好きだ」 目的格として。

pinklove000
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます!!

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.2

his own は his の強めです。my, your などの所有格は very ではなく own で強めると覚えたらいいと思います。 himself (1)He himself では、「彼自身は…」となり、「彼」を強めます。他の人はどうだか分からないが、彼は…である。 (2)He likes himself. では「彼自身のことを」となります。強めではありません。動作の相手が自分である時にこうなります。 他の例文では He killed himself. 「彼自身を殺した」→「自殺した」 He said to himself. 「彼自身に言った」→「独り言を言った」「自分に言い聞かせた」 (3)by himself, of himself など、前置詞の目的語の場合は(2)に近い働きをします。熟語のように覚えることもあります。

pinklove000
質問者

お礼

詳しくありがとうございます!

関連するQ&A

• oneselfとone's ownの違い

Gary Lee has been looking for an office building for rent near residential areas to start a dry cleaning business of ( ). ( )に当てはまる人称代名詞を答えなさいという問題です。 選択肢はhis ownとhimselfです。 名詞 of~の形を両方取ることができ、文意もどちらとも通ると思うのですがどのような違いがあるのでしょうか? 答えはhis ownです。 よろしくお願いします。

• save him from himself

My five year-old son is starting kindergarten and wants to dress himself. None of his clothing matches and I’m worried his friends and others will make fun of him for the way he looks. He is insisting on picking out his own clothes. My husband and I are torn over what to do. Do we allow him to pick his own clothes OR do we save him from himself and demand he wear what we tell him to? save him from himself はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• in his own blood??

こんにちわ。 NME誌を読んでいたのですが、 表現の壁にぶつかって苦しんでいます。 以下、件のセンテンス: having signed a unique 50-50 deal with Joy Division in his own blood, Wilson went on to open the Hacienda (dance culture's crucible) and blaze a unique trail through british music, one celebrated in the film 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE. 件名にも書いた"in his own blood"の 意味がわからなくてもやもやしています。 どなたかわかる方がいたら、 教えていただけませんでしょうか??

• hisselfとhimselfの違いがよくわからな

hisselfとhimselfの違いがよくわからないのですが? What do you want your boyfriend to call himself? "boku" or "ore"?

• his own well being の意味がわかりません

文中の his own well being の意味がわからないのですが、 He is all the time the self-centered individual, consecrating all thought, time and service to his own well being and personal interests. 彼は常に自己中心的な個人であり、全ての思考(思想)、時間と奉仕を、彼自身の人生をうまくやることと個人的興味に捧げます。 このような訳で良いのでしょうか?

• on his own terms

My grandfather passed away three years ago. It was the first death in the family I’ve experienced. I was absolutely in bits when he died. He was very healthy all of my life until that point. He had an ongoing “flu” for a couple weeks that turned out to be cancer, and he passed within a month of letting all of the immediate family know about the diagnosis. He did not opt for treatment that would have lengthened his life, which I absolutely am grateful for. He passed on his own terms in his home. He passed on his own terms「自分が思うがままに死んだ」?でしょうか?どういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• "in his own right"の意味と日本語訳

下記の英文の "in his own right" というのをどう翻訳したら良いでしょうか。ある本では、「本来持っている権利において」と訳していますが、日本語として意味が良くわかりません。 (原文)"To care for another person is to help him grow and actualize himself. Consider, for example, a father caring for his child. He respects the child as existing in his own right and as striving to grow." (日本語訳)「一人の人格をケアするとは、その人が成長すること、自己実現することをたすけることである。たとえば、我が子をケアする父親を考えてみよう。彼はその子を、その子自身が本来持っている権利において存在するものと認め、成長しようと努力している存在として尊重する。」 よろしくお願いします。

• catch himself

My father had an ulcer that became infected. It was relatively simple to cure but he refused to believe the doctors. Instead he diagnosed himself with some sort of virus. He stopped taking his medicine. He created his own ointments instead. He’s very intelligent so his reasoning could sound very convincing. It was hard to identify when it crossed the line into mental illness. But the infection never healed. He went from surfing and swimming every day to barely being able to walk. He aged twenty years. And still he refused to go to a doctor. He’d isolate himself from anyone who challenged him. When he finally collapsed and was admitted to a hospital, the doctors said he had the lowest red blood cell count they’d ever seen. Only then did he accept that things were out of his control. He’s much healthier now. He’s almost back to normal. He’ll occasionally fall into the old script of defending his actions, but he manages to catch himself. catch himselfはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• HIS OWN MAN

「刑事コロンボ」で、上院議員候補者のポスターに大きく書かれていた言葉です。これは、HIS=HE'S=HE IS と解釈してよろしいでしょうか?意味は多分、「彼しかいない」だと思いますが、だったらONLY(またはTHE ONLY)のほうが良いような気もします。よろしくお願いします。

• of 所有格 +own +動詞ing構文について

名詞 + of one's own ~ing 「…自身が~した-」という構文の中で使われている of は、「性質・特徴のof」と呼ばれ「~の性質を持つ」の意味を表します。 (参照:of 性質・特徴 [of + 抽象名詞]) 所有格のone's は動名詞の意味上の主語「(人)が」であることを理解しておけば、a picture of his own painting →「彼自身が描く性質を持った絵」→「彼自身が描いた絵」という解釈が自ずと生まれてきます。なおこの構文は、名詞 + which + S + V + -self と関係詞を使った節に言い換えられます。 This is a mistake of his own making. [ = This is a mistake which he made himself.] 「これは彼自身が犯した間違いだ」 This is a job of my own choosing. [ = This is a job which I chose myself.] 「これは私自身が選んだ仕事です」 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ という参考書文で 勉強しました。 This is a ~の 文の左側が現在形で of 以降右側が過去の he made himself の内容で時制があってないのに、 of his own making と 分詞?のみで 表すのは、 having made とかとちゃうの?と疑問を持っている当方です。   構文であるから 暗記! というだけのモノなのでしょうか? 忘れたころに試すと having を入れてたくなる間違いをすることがあるので しっかり勉強したいので宜しくお願いいたします。