• 締切済み

Many a?

Many a stormy night was the little man in black seen by the flashes of lightening. このManyの後にa stormy nightってManyの後に何か省略されてる物があるのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

これ余計な話ですが、ベラフォンテで覚えた歌の中に『キングストン』とか言うのがあり、 But I'm sad to say, I'm on my way, won't be back for many a day. My heart is down, my head is turning around, I had to leave a little girl in Kingston Town.     の3行目を思い出します。

• alqaadim
  • ベストアンサー率67% (39/58)
回答No.2

マニアックな用法ですが、many a thing = (each of) many thingsという用法です。複数の意味で文法的には単数扱いです。 文章全体も古めかしく、主語と動詞が倒置していますので、現代語なら以下のようになります。 Many nights the little man was seen in black by the flashes of lightening. 訳せば、「その男は夜な夜な何度も稲光で、黒い服に身を包んで見られた(ものだった)。」となります。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

many a で1つの表現です (辞書では形容詞の many の項に出ていると思います)。ですから、Many の後ろに省略された語はありません。 文そのものは、倒置が見られます。普通の語順になおすと、  Many a stormy night, the little man in black was seen by the flashes of lightening. 文の意味としては、「嵐の夜は幾日も続き、雷光に照らされた黒い小男の姿が見られた」 のような感じではないかと思います (この1文からだけの推測ですので、細部まで正確かどうかは分かりませんけれども)。

関連するQ&A

• A Mother's Lullaby

夏休みの課題です。 英語が全くダメなので← 得意な方、訳お願いします;; A big,old tree stands by a road near the city of Hiroshima. Through the years,it has seen many things. One summer night the tree heard a lullaby. A mother was singing to her little girl under the tree. They looked happy,and the song sounded sweet. But the tree remembered something sad. "Yes,it was some sixty years ago. I heard a lullaby that night, too." (以下は、この木の回想です。) On the morning of that day,a big bomb fell on the city of Hiroshima. Many people lost their lives,and over their bodies. I was very sad when I saw those people. It was a very hot day. Some of the people fell down near me. I said to them, "Come and rest in my shade. You'll be all right soom." Night came. Some people were already dead. I heard a weak voice. It was a lullaby. A young girl was singing to a little boy. "Mommy! Mommy!" the boy cried. "Don't cry." the girl said. "Mommy is here." Then she began to sing again. 続きます(泣)

• worse nor a crime

hard,dry and withered heartを持っていると言われる人についての会話です。 " Did he commit a crime?" I asked. "Begob, it was worse nor a crime," he said. "Sure, you wouldn't mind a little bit of crime in a man" worse nor a crimeは犯罪ではないがそれより質が悪いということでしょうか? you wouldn't mind a little bit of crime in a manは少々の犯罪は気にしないだろうという意味でしょうか? よろしくアドバイスお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願いします!

和訳お願いします! The fat little man ( ) eye glasses looked busy and happy as he set out his modest display of clocks amd watches in a show window of his little jewelry shop, still left standing ( ) the many air raids London was having from the bombers. He paid no attation for the many Londoners hurring by to begin another day in their gloomy offices. When he finished placing his merchandice, the fat little man came out of the shop and stared in the window. He rubbed his chubby little hands ( ) evident satisfafaction as he surveyed its artistic arrangement. カッコのなかは前置詞が入ります お願いします!

• I remember I used to half-believe a

I remember I used to half-believe and wholly play tith fairies when I was a child. What in heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense, to fear no longer the terror that flieth by night, yet to feel truly and understand a little, a very little, of th story of life. ベアトリクス・ポターの言葉なのですが、聖書の言葉も引用されているようです。末尾のthe story of lifeがとくに謎です。全文を訳していただければ幸いです。

• a brute of a man

a brute of a man(野獣のような男)とあったのですが、a man of a bruteと僕なら書いてしまいそうなのですが、これではダメなのでしょうか???? あと、全くちがう質問なんですが、a big fan of Ichiroというのがありならa big fan of yoursじゃなくて、a big fan of youとしても大丈夫なのでしょうか????それとも、a big fan of Ichiroはa big fan of Ichiro'sを省略しているのでしょうか????

• to sneak と sneaking の違い

The little boy was seen to sneak into the kitchen by the mistress and was caught on the spot. The little boy was seen sneaking into the kitchen by the mistress and was caught on the spot. この二つの文は意味が違いますか? どういうニュアンスの違いがあるのでしょうか? 教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします。

• one of many ...s はOK?

以下は先日のある新聞記事の一節です。1行めの ”one of” の次にはtheか何かの限定辞が必要なのではないでしょうか? The scandal is just one of many controversies in recent months that signal that India’s conservative veneer --- inspired by centuries of Victorian morals spread under British colonial rule --- may be fading under the impact of Western influence and a technological revolution, experts say. (The Japan Times、2004/12/23付け第1面最下段、見出しは”Indian scandal raises questions about parenting, sex education”でその第10段落)  Practical English Usage (Michael Swan, OUP, 2nd) はp.394で ’One of’ is followed by a determiner and a noun phrase (usually plural), or by a plural pronoun. としています。 また、『ジーニアス英和辞典』(第3版)はoneの代名詞の項目の4に「one of +限定複数名詞」と表示したうえで「…の1つ[1人]」と記述しています。 それともこの場合には many controversies の部分は後の that signal … 以下の関係代名詞節によって意味的に「制限」されているので manyの前にtheが語として明示されていなくてもOKということなのでしょうか?

• manyとmuch

二つ質問があります。 一つ眼。 ・Only if a foreigner has read much English poetry can he understand Shakespeare. 「外国人は英詩をたくさん読んではじめてシェイクスピアの作品を理解することが出来る。」 で、「たくさんの」に「much」が使われて居ますが、詩は数えられるのではないかなと思ったのですが、「many」ではダメなんでしょうか? 二つ目。 ・In late summer and autumn are seen the tints of color, whichare the crowning beauty of the plain. 「夏の末と秋には紅葉が見られるが、それはこの平原で最も美しい光景である。」 これは単に単語の質問ですが、「tints of color」でなぜ「紅葉」になるのでしょうか? 直訳すると「色の色合い」となりますよね。tints of leavesとかならわかる機もするのですが。 因みに両文、倒置が使われて居ます。 よろしくお願いします。

• be(was) ofのofについて

こんにちは。ofについて教えていただきたいのですが。 When the population of the earth consisted of only a few million poeple-and thoese poeple lived in a preindustrial society--ecology was of little concern.という文章のecology was of とありますが、このofの用法がわかりません。was とofの間に何か省略されているのでしょうか?文の構造がわからないので、be動詞の次がofと続くのがわかりません。教えて下さい。

• 分詞について

Romeo,() that Juliet was dead, decided to kill himself. 解説はbecause he believed that Juliet was dead の省略なので()内はbelievingと説明しております。 しかし私はIt is not believed that Juliet was dead の省略かなと思い、believedでもいいのではないかと考えています。ここでitを主語にすることがおかしいのでしょうか? ()from the top of the hill, the cars moving in the street looked like so many ants. 解説はwhen the cars are seen from the top of the hill, の省略 なので()内はseenとの説明ですが When I saw the cars from the top of the hill の省略かと思い seeingと思ったのですが おかしいでしょうか? 文法の詳しい方宜しくお願い致します。