• ベストアンサー

to の使い方

タバコ会社を相手どった訴訟に関する記事です。 This law will be a big win for families who have lost a loved one to tobacco-related illness. この法律(の成立)は、たばこの害で愛する人を失った家族に朗報となるでしょう。 という感じの訳になるかと思いますが、上記の to の使い方を解説していただけないでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

使い方というか、lose という動詞と、その lose の 「原因」 をつなぐ前置詞として to が用いられる用法が、英語の歴史の中で定着してきた結果として、lose A to B (A を B を原因として失う) というパターンが出来上がっているということでしょう。 たとえば手元の辞書で lose を引くと、She lost her husband to cancer. (彼女は夫をがんで亡くした) という文例が出ていましたが、このように lose A to B というのは1つのパターンだと思われます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をご教示ください

Tobacco kills a third to half of all people who use it, on average 15 years prematurely. 特に a third to half の意味がよくわかりません。  6分の1ということでしょうか?

• 和訳をお願いします!!

Self-esteem also includes feelings of being loved.A child who is happy about an achievement but does not receive love may eventually experience low self-eteem. In a similar way, a child who feels loved but is unsure about his or her own abilities can also end up with low self-esteem. Healthy self-esteem comes when the right balance is reached.

• どなたか英文を日本語訳にしていただけないでしょうか

The “interaction guidance” (McDonough, 1991 ,1992 ) treatment approach for parent-child relationship disturbances was created specifically to met the needs of infants and their families who had not been engaged successfully in previous treatment or who had refused treatment education, family mental illness, substance abuse, inadequate housing, large family size, lack of a difficult-to-engage families, the interaction guidance approach was develop to be a brief psychotherapy model that is family competence by using video technology to highlight positive aspects of family strengths and family competence by using video technology to highlight positive aspects of family interactions and to enhance the likelihood of positive therapeutic change within the family.

• 「be supposed to」の使い方を教えて下さい

みなさんこんにちは。 「be supposed to」の使い方を教えて下さい。 英英辞典も一応調べてみました。 A: 「expected or required by custom, law, duty, or personal obligation」 B: 「(in the negative) not allowed to」 と、これらの意味(使い方)は解るのですが、日本語では、「be supposed to」を使うようなニュアンスの言い回しをする場面が無いように思われ、どういうニュアンスを出したい時に、「be supposed to」を使えば良いのかが、良く解りません。 「should」を使った場合との意味の違い、という質問もあるのですが、One question at a time という事で、今回は、下記のような使い方の違いに付いてお願いします。 あまり良い例ではないかも知れないですが、 「What does it mean?」と言うのと、「What is it supposed to mean?」と言うのでは、どうニュアンスが違うのですか? 誰かが書いてる絵を見て、 「Is that a train?」と聞くのと、「Is that supposed to be a train?」と聞くのとでは、どう違うのですか? こういった微妙?な、「be supposed to」の出すニュアンスを教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします。

• giving a face to

下記文中の giving a face to とはどういう意味ですか? "Several studies have shown that innocence is one of the most important factors in people deciding whether they are for or against the death penalty and what we are doing is giving a face to innocence, where people get firsthand to experience people who have been wrongfully convicted," Hedayati explained. --補足-- 【前後の文】 Iranian immigrant Hooman Hedayati, who is with a group called "Witness to Innocence," organized a tour of Texas cities by exonerated prisoners. "Several studies have shown that innocence is one of the most important factors in people deciding whether they are for or against the death penalty and what we are doing is giving a face to innocence, where people get firsthand to experience people who have been wrongfully convicted," Hedayati explained. Another argument against the death penalty is that it is ineffective, says Dorothy McClellan, who teaches at Texas A & M University at Corpus Christi. 【出展】 VOA: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Death-Row-Exonerated-Seek-End-to-Death-Penalty-134171228.html

• 英文ー長文ーどこで区切ればいいのか

以下の文章についてですが、長文が続いており 一体どこで区切って、つなげればよいのでしょうか? The “interaction guidance” (McDonough, 1991 ,1992 ) treatment approach for parent-child relationship disturbances was created specifically to met the needs of infants and their families who had not been engaged successfully in previous treatment or who had refused treatment education, family mental illness, substance abuse, inadequate housing, large family size, lack of a difficult-to-engage families, the interaction guidance approach was develop to be a brief psychotherapy model that is family competence by using video technology to highlight positive aspects of family strengths and family competence by using video technology to highlight positive aspects of family interactions and to enhance the likelihood of positive therapeutic change within the family.

• to be with you

I'm the one who wants to be with you Deep inside I hope you feel it too Waited on a line of greens and blues Just to be the next to be with you という歌詞があります。上二行は文法・意味ともに分かるのですが、 下二行の文法が分かりません。主語はどこへ消えたのでしょうか? 稚拙な質問で恐縮です。優しい方教えて下さい。

• 英語概要(応用化学系)の間違いを指摘して下さい

卒論にのせる英語概要なのですが,文法の間違いや単語の選択ミス(表現が違う)等ありましたら指摘お願いします。 ・英文 Studies were preparative method and constituent of metallic oxides why we have decided that metallic oxide effect catalytic conversion to CO and tar of tobacco smoke. In the result, We have decided on, CO of tobacco smoke put composite metallic oxides in nickel oxide (99mol%) and cobalt oxide (1 mol%)(Cat A) to use, and tar of tobacco smoke put composite metallic oxides in copper oxide(II) (50 mol%) and cobalt oxide (50 mol%)(Cat B). This study performed, CO flow experiment and tobacco smoke flow experiment used Cat A and Cat B, and TG-DTA analysis used mine sample about mixing Cat B and tar of tobacco smoke, Why Cat A and Cat B confirm intended effect to tobacco smoke. In the result, We have looked at Flowing tobacco smoke to Cat A and B effect catalytic conversion to CO of tobacco smoke by priority but Cat B effect catalytic cracking not catalytic conversion to tar of tobacco smoke. ・日本語 当研究室では、金属酸化物はタバコ煙中のCO,タールに対して触媒燃焼効果を発揮すると考え、金属酸化物の調整法と成分の研究を行った。その結果、酸化ニッケル(99mol%)と酸化コバルト(1mol%)の混合金属酸化物(以降,Cat Aと表記)をタバコ煙COに対して、酸化銅(II)(50mol%)と酸化コバルト(50mol%)の混合金属酸化物(以降,Cat Bと表記)をタバコ煙タール分に対して用いることを決定した。 本研究では、Cat AとBがタバコ煙に対して意図した効果を示すか確認するためにCat A,Bを用いて CO流通試験、タバコ煙流通試験を、触媒Bとタバコ煙タール分の混合物を試料としてTG-DTA分析を行った。その結果、タバコ煙を触媒A,Bに流通したとき優先的にタバコ煙COの触媒燃焼が起こるが、触媒Bはタバコ煙タール分に対して触媒燃焼ではなく接触分解を引き起こすと考察された。

• 題:「To Give or Not to Give」和訳。

臓器提供やドナーカードなどについての話です。 文の途中に、 Give my eyes to a man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face,or love in the eyes of a woman. Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused him nothing but days of pain without end. Give my blood to a teenager who was seriously injured in a traffic accident,so that he or she might live and see his or her grandchildren playing. Give my kidneys to one who has to depend on a machine to live from week to week. …という、「何を何のためにどうして欲しい」という形の文が続いているところがあります。 私なりに途中まで訳してみたのですが、最初の文は「日の出、赤ん坊の顔、あるいは女性の目の中に愛を見たことのない男性に私の目をあげてください。」となりました。 なんとなく言いたいことはわかるのですが、”女性の目の中に愛を見る”という表現ではおかしいでしょうか? 二つ目の文はよく意味がわかりませんでした。 三つ目の文は、「交通事故の中で重傷だったティーンエイジャーに私の血液を与えてください。」で、そのあとどう訳せば良いのかわかりません。 最後の訳ですが、week to weekという表現はどう訳すべきなのでしょうか?最初、「何周間も、生きるために機械に頼らなければならない人に私の腎臓をあげてください」と訳したのですが…。 長くなってしまいましたが、何方がところどころでも良いので教えてくださると幸いです。

• 和訳出来る方 いらっしゃいますでしょうか?

Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias - To All The Girls I've Loved Before の歌詞を 和訳出来る方 いらっしゃいますでしょうか? 和訳サイトで変換したのですが 変な和訳になっちゃうので 宜しくお願いいたします To all the girls I've loved before Who travelled in and out my door I'm glad they came along I dedicate this song To all the girls I've loved before To all the girls I once caressed And may I say I've held the best For helping me to grow I owe a lot I know To all the girls I've loved before The winds of change are always blowing And every time I try to stay The winds of change continue blowing And they just carry me away To all the girls who shared my life Who now are someone else's wives I'm glad they came along I dedicate this song To all the girls I've loved before To all the girls who cared for me Who filled my nights with ecstasy They live within my heart I'll always be a part Of all the girls I've loved before The winds of change are always blowing And every time I try to stay The winds of change continue blowing And they just carry me away To all the girls we've loved before Who travelled in and out our doors We're glad they came along We dedicate this song To all the girls we've loved before To all the girls we've loved before Who travelled in and out our doors We're glad they came along We dedicate this song To all the girls we've loved before