The Life of Books: Giving Them a Long Life

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Some writers believe that books have a life of their own, although they eventually come to an end. Yet, this doesn't stop authors from trying to prolong the life of their books. The phrase 'he can get for it' refers to the author's efforts to ensure that his book has a long life.
  • In this passage, the author compares the way some writers think about the life of books to how certain savages think about the life of men. While books do eventually die, this doesn't discourage authors from doing everything they can to extend their lifespan.
  • The phrase 'he can get for it' refers to the author's determination to give his book as long a life as possible, despite knowing that all books eventually come to an end.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

he can get for itですが・・・

Some writers think about the life of books as some savages think about the life of men―that there are books which never die. They all die sooner or later ; but that will not hinder an author from trying to give his book as long a life as he can get for it. The fact that it will have to die is no good reason for letting it die sooner than can be helped. 上記の英文で、he can get for itの意味が解りません。 このforは何ですか?itの対価を示すのでしょうか? itはbookのことですね?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.2

#1です。補足です。 >>itの対価を示すのでしょうか?     これについてはっきりお答えをしておりませんでした、     How much could you get for it? (古本屋から帰りのに友達に)「いくらで売れた?」   と聞く時の「等価」は金額ですがここでは、時間の等価です、金額ですと下らない本は安く、立派な本は高い。     この場合、くだらない本は線香花火のように寿命が短く、立派な本はロングセラーという訳です。だから人も本もみんなやがて死ぬ、しかしだからといって作家が自作の著書にそれ相当の(=時間的に等価の)生命を与えるのは勝手である。どうせ死ぬからと言って天命を縮め早死にさせることはない、という論旨のようです。     

0123gokudo
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 辞書の例文だとforの意味は難なくわかるのですが、ここの英文ではなかなか分かりにくいです。 でも、貴方のお陰で何とか分かったようです。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.1

1。 このforは何ですか?itの対価を示すのでしょうか?     for は「~のために」です。 2。   itはbookのことですね?    おっしゃるとおりです。 3。下記に次のような例文が挙がっています。     What could they get for it?     その代わりに何を手に入れることができるでしょうか。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/get+for+it/UTF-8/     話の流れが、野蛮人には不死を信じる者が居るように、物書きにも本の不滅を信じる者がいる。しかしみんな(人も本も)いつかは無くなる、しかし物書きが、、、、     直訳「その本が得られるだけの生命を自分の本に与えようとすることを阻止する事は出来ない」     > 自分の本が然るべく長生きすると信じるのは自由である     ということでしょう。

関連するQ&A

• 英文読解

The Life of Books Some writers think about the life of books as some savages think about the life of men - that there are books which never die. They all die sooner or later; but that will not hinder an author from trying to give his book as long a life as he can get for it. The fact that it will have to die is no valid reason for letting it die sooner than can be helped. 指示代名詞、代名詞が指すものを教えてください。 They all die sooner or later・・Theyは"some writers"ですか? but that will not hinder ~・・・ thatは "They all die sooner or later"ですか? as he can get for it・・・・・・ itは"his book"ですか? it will have to die とfor letting it die~・・・itは"his book"ですか? 全体の訳を頂けると助かります。 お手数をおかけしますがよろしくお願いいたします。 ----The Note-Books of Samuel Butler : SAMUEL BUTLER

• He can get it !! 彼って最高

ポッドキャストの教材で He can get it ! は「彼ってマジ最高」みたいな意味だと習ったのですが アメリカの友人に聞いたところ凄く下品な表現だと言って詳しく教えてくれませんでした。 この it は何を指すのでしょうか??

• I get it

get it というのはitが文脈上の何かを指しており、 itを理解したと言っているのでしょうか? それともit自体に意味はなくただ付随しているだけなのか(つまり自動詞的に言っている?)文脈等によってどちらの場合もあるのでしょうか?  またget thatで「それを理解する」という文も存在すると思われますが、この際のthatはただthatを使用するのが適切な為、itではなくthatが使用されているんですよね? 以下の例文と同じ様にただその時々の文脈でitとthatを使い分けているだけですよね? 例) Let’s meet up for breakfast tomorrow!(明日、朝食一緒に食べない?)B: That sounds great!(いいね!) A:How do you like that music?(あの音楽をどう思う?) B: It sounds great!(素晴らしい音楽だと思うよ!)

• この英文がうまく訳せません。

この英文がうまく訳せません。 I am hoping that my next girlfriend will be my wife, so I will think about it some more as I think you would be a good wife and mother:) ある小説の一文です。 次の恋人が私の奥さんになることを願っている。だから私はあなたが良い妻、良い奥さんになるだろうと思うことを考える・・・?という感じでしょうか??? about itが指すものが前のセンテンスなのかasから後ろなのか・・・良く分かりません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 1 You can never find it.

1 You can never find it. 2 You never find it. の違いを知りたいのですが教えてください。 「それを探して続けるかぎり見つけることはできないだろう」 という文章を英語で書きたいのですが、どちらが適切か教えてください。 ちなみにこのように書こうと思います。 1 You can never find it as long as you keep looking for. 2 You never find it as long as you keep looking for. 1は「見つけることできないだろう」 2は「見つからないだろう」 というニュアンスでしょうか? またどちらの文章のほうがナチュラルかもご指示ください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 文章解釈

添付ファイル文章 But more than that, isn’t it about as far as possible as you can get from the serenity and security that philosophy can provide? に関する質問です。 1. この文脈におけるmore than that の意味の取り方が分からないです。 2. isn’t it about as far as possible as you can get from the serenity and security that philosophy can provide? の文法解釈と意味の取り方が分からないです。 *isn’t it about 〜「それって〜ということじゃないですか?」 *as far as possible as you can get from the serenity and security that philosophy can provide as が3つ出てきているため、文法的にも意味的にも理解が難しいです。 1つ目のas はfar を修飾している、 as farの比較対象を示すために残りの2つのasが使われている、と考えても納得できませんでした。 解説宜しくお願いします

• Can I get an Aquos Xx?

Hey, salsberry do you know where can I get an aquos xx, their flagship phone that has the 810 snapdragon cpu and 3GB Ram?, I did try to find one on ebay but there isn't one available. Do you know where can I get one? As for the Aquos Crystal, this phone was released about a year ago so I am pretty sure sharp is not going to do anything about this, they might have forgotten about this phone themselves. I don't wan't to waste any more time trying to get this thing to get lollipop because it'll be pretty much a futile attempt. By the way the phone it's kind of slow and the resolution is 720p, so there is no future for this. The Aquos Xx is way more fitting to lollipop because it's very fast. I saw softbank is selling them but are they without contract?, I also tried ebay japan but couldn't find anything. As for your question I don't know how to remove the previous question maybe you can tell the admin to do it. ※OKWaveより補足:「シャープのスマートフォン・携帯電話」についての質問です。

• he has billed it as a movement

“Politics is about policy, but it’s also about giving people some kind of sense of participating in a common venture with their fellow citizens,” Mr. Wolfe said. Philosophers call it “civil religion,” using the language of religion and elevation to talk about your country. A classic example is Ronald Reagan’s summoning of the “city on a hill.” That, Professor Wolfe said, was the parallel Mr. Obama was hinting at when he talked about Reagan as a transformative leader. “A soft civil religion is something our country desperately needs at a time of deep partisanship,” Mr. Wolfe said. “He wants to go back to the Reagan years as a Democrat, with Democratic policies.” But others see in this same language a more cynical cult of personality. “What is troubling about the campaign is that it’s gone beyond hope and change to redemption,” said Sean Wilentz, a historian at Princeton (and a longtime friend of the Clintons). “It’s posing as a figure who is the one person who will redeem our politics. And what I fear is, that ends up promising more from politics than politics can deliver.” From the day Mr. Obama announced his candidacy, he has billed it as a movement, and himself as the agent of generational change. billed itのitが何を指し示すのか教えていただけるとありがたいです。 http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/17/weekinreview/17zernike.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

• for the booksの意味

Getting on one knee and popping the big question is not as easy as it may seem. Not only does it take a lot of effort to work up the nerve to propose, it takes a lot of planning! Of course, you always have the option to take the simple route: take her out to dinner, get on one knee, and ask, "Will you marry me?" Or you can be creative (which is what most girls prefer) and make the proposal a memory for the books. この文のfor the booksとは何のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• Make it upについて

このような場合のMake it upはどう解釈されますか? 戦友が死ぬ直前に仲間と会話している英語です。 Some day,everyone will die いつかは皆死んでしまうから You don't need worda for goodbyes. さよならは、いらないよ。 Make it up!