Deaf Percussionist Evelyn Glennie: Mastering the Art of Listening

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie has found a way to interpret sounds with her body.
  • She feels low sounds in her legs and feet, and high sounds in specific places on her face, neck, and chest, allowing her to 'listen' to the notes.
  • Glennie wants audiences to focus on her music rather than her deafness, and she gets upset when reporters ask too many questions about it.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳

“To interpret certain sounds with your body you just have to be very sensitive. It’s certainly not easy, but with time, practice I seem to have found a way to do it.” The low sounds Evelyn feels mostly in her legs and feet, and the high sounds she feels in particular places on her face, neck, and chest. This is how she “listens” to the notes. She often performed with bare feet―mainly because she feels the vibrations of the music through the floor. “The thing about percussion,” Evelyn says, “is that you can create all these emotions―sometimes beautiful, sometimes ugly, sometimes sweet, and sometimes as big as King Kong. There can be a storm of sound, or the sound can be so refined.” Not all percussion is loud and pounding. Evelyn gives more than 100 performances a year around the world. She wants audiences to focus on her music rather than on her deafness, and she wants them to be entertained. Evelyn gets upset with reporters because they sometimes ask too many questions about her deafness. As Evelyn puts it, “If you want to know about deafness, you should interview an ear doctor. My specialty is music.” 問1、What is her specialty? お願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

<訳例> 「あなたの体で特定の音を解釈するためには、あなたはとにかく非常に敏感でなければなりません。 それは確かに簡単ではありません、しかし、時間や練習とともに、私は、そのやり方を見つけた様に思います。」 低い音をエヴリンは、たいてい彼女の脚や足で感じます、そして、高い音は、彼女の顔、首、胸の特定の場所で感じます。これが、彼女が音符を「聞く」方法です。彼女は、しばしば素足で演奏します、主な理由は、音楽の振動を床から感じるからです。 「パーカッションでは、」と、エヴリンは言います、「こうしたあらゆる感情を作り出せます‐時には美しく、時には醜く、ときには甘く、また、時にはキングコングの様に大きくね。音のあらしになる時もあれば、音が、とても洗練される時もあるのです。」全てのパーカッションが、大きな音だったり、バンバン連打している訳ではありません。エヴリンは、世界中で、年に100回以上の演奏を行います。彼女は、聴衆に彼女の耳の聞こえないことよりも彼女の音楽に集中してもらいたいと思っています、そして、楽しんでもらいたいと思っています。エヴリンは、レポーターには、腹を立てたり当惑したりします、と言うのは、彼らが彼女の耳の聞こえないことについてあまりにも多くの質問をする場合があるからです。エヴリンは次のように述べます「もしあなたが難聴について知りたいのなら、耳鼻科のお医者さんにインタビューすべきね。私の専門は音楽ですもの。」 問1.It's music. She is a famous percussionist. *** seisee さん、こんにちは。もしかして、sayhe さんではありませんか?どちらにしても私とハンドルネームは似ているのですから、お変えにならなくても良かったと思います。 ところで、ここまで読むと、 http://okwave.jp/qa/q6658108.html の、問2.の解答ができます。 She gives more than 100 performances a year (around the world). になります。

seisee
質問者

お礼

間違えてログアウトをクリックしてしまいました。 saysheさんにsayheだとわかってもらうためにわざと似ている名前にしました。 回答ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• ad-astra
  • ベストアンサー率64% (126/196)
回答No.1

答え:Percussion (打楽器演奏)  だと思います。彼女は耳が聞こえないのですが、身体で音を感じながら何らかの打楽器percussionを演奏しているPercussioninstのようですね。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳してもらいたいです。

Evelyn Glennie looks like a rock drummer, pounding away under the spotlight. This is, however, a symphony concert hall and Evelyn Glennie is a star of contemporary music. She is the world’s first full time percussion soloist. Evelyn reaches far and fast from snare drums to cymbals, from congas to the bass drum as she plays as a soloist with the New York Philharmonic. Conductor Leonard Slatkin says, “People have always liked drums. Evelyn now shows us that percussion is more than drums. It’s a whole world of colors, energy, and subtlety that perhaps most people didn’t know about before.” There seems to be something new in every performance she gives. Evelyn has performed with the world’s finest orchestras and greatest conductors in the most famous concert halls. Her first CD won her a Grammy in 1988. Since that time, she has received more than 70 international awards. And oh yes, by the way, Evelyn is profoundly deaf. 問1、What kind of music does Evelyn Glennie play? 問2、What did Evelyn win in 1988? 問3、How many international awards has she received? 問4、When did Evelyn begin taking piano lessons? やってもらうと助かります!

• 和訳お願いします

I love her. She is sexy and beautiful. She looks like she's the kind of woman that feels a bit trapped by her beauty in such a way that it disallows her toughness to be taken so seriously. haha Awesome drawing.

• 和訳してもらいたいです。

Evelyn was born on a farm in Scotland. She began taking piano lessons at age eight. Later that same year, she began to notice that her hearing was gradually failing. “As I was losing my hearing, I tried hard not to be sad, but I was becoming a very angry person,” says Evelyn. “Then one of my teachers said, ‘Evelyn, put your hand on the copper ball of one of the timpani drums.’ I could feel the vibration. Then he tuned the two timpani drums to different pitches. I noticed the difference between the vibrations.” Evelyn gives a lot of credit to her secondary school teachers for encouraging her to take drum lessons at the age of 12. After just a few lessons, she seemed to have found the right thing for her. She soon began working with various percussion instruments, but it wasn’t long before she had lost most of her hearing. However, she simply refused to worry about it and continued to follow her dreams. What does Evelyn think about her success? She often points out, “I’m not a deaf musician. I’m a musician who happens to be deaf.” 問1、Who encouraged her to take drum lessons? 問2、Does Evelyn think of herself as a deaf musician? やってもらうと助かります。

• 和訳してもらいたいです。

Evelyn hears some sounds that are clear and distinct. For example, she hears a phone ringing as a kind of crackling sound, but she knows that the cracking sound is a phone ringing. She can hear someone speaking, but cannot distinguish words, so she reads lips to get the meaning. With such limited hearing ability, how is Evelyn able to perform such fascinating music? “The sense of hearing and the sense of touch are more similar than we realize,” explains Evelyn. “Sound is vibrating air that the ear picks up and changes into electrical signals. These signals are then interpreted by the brain. Hearing is not the only sense that can pick up sound, touch can do this too. In other words, we can also ‘feel’ sound. “If you are standing by the road and a large bus goes by, do you hear the sound or feel the vibration? The answer is both. Hearing a sound and feeling a vibration are basically the same thing,” she says. “If we can all feel low vibrations, why can’t we feel higher vibrations? It is my belief that we can. When a particular sound is made, you can truly feel that in certain parts of your body.” 問1、How does Evelyn “listen” to the notes? 問2、How many performances a year does Evelyn give? やってもらうと助かります。

• 英語和訳お願いします

1.Plants and animals must be able to get along with very little water to exist in the dresert. 2.She must have missed her train. 3.It is strange that you should make such a mistake.

• 英語和訳お願いします

Plants and animals must be able to get along with very little water to exist in the dresert. She must have missed her train. It is strange that you should make such a mistake.

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いしますm(._.)m

次の英文の和訳をお願いしますm(._.)m So what's the alternative? She could express her feelings with "I feel” statements. How does she feel? She feels ticked off! So why not just say this instead of being argumentative? She could also try to understand what he's thinking and feeling. How does he feel? He feels shut out and ignored. She could say, "I feel put down and angry, but I know there's some truth in what you say. Apparently you think I've put my career first and you feel rejected. Is this the way you feel? If so, could understand why you feel hurt and angry." 長くなってしまいましたが、よろしくお願いしますm(._.)m

• この推薦文に素晴らしい和訳を!

この推薦文に和訳をつけて提出します。 できるだけ誉めて書かれたように、素晴らしい和訳をどうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 It is with a great pleasure that l am writing this letter to recommend Ms.○○, a young Japanese pianist who is actually studying at the○○(スクール名),in my class. Ms,○○ is a very talented pianist、with a natural approach of the instrument and a strong technique. Her sensibility,her intelligence and her total engagement in music allow her to be at ease on any repertory. I highly recommend her and hope she will get all your attention.

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

A woman I work with used to join me and a few others for drinks after work occasionally, and her company is fine enough. However, over the past six months due to a minor promotion, she has become insufferable. She is constantly ratting people out to our principal (I work at a school,) looking for ways to get those she doesn’t like in trouble, and even going as far as to make up things that aren’t true. None of this has been directed at me personally, so I have stayed out of it, while remaining sympathetic to my co-workers who are victims of her power trip. The root of this issue is the way the principal handles HR, but I’m not interested in speaking with her about that. My problem is that this woman is always asking me what I’m doing after work and trying to invite herself along with me and another friend I work with. We both feel uncomfortable socializing with her since we’re disgusted at her behavior, however, I don’t feel I can be direct with her since she has the ear of my boss. I don’t feel I can be direct with her since she has the ear of my boss.の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

以下はある映画の結末についてのネイティヴ?のコメントですが、私の英語力では把握しきれません。分かりやすく訳していただけませんでしょうか。 When Amy dives in to rescue Dan, her real world experience gets mixed up with her memories and phobias about the past, where her Dad drowned and she was unable to pull him out of the water. We see her struggle with Dan, but they are appearing to sink lower and lower into the sea. Amy refuses to let Dan go as she let her father go, so she simply doesn't give up. It's all tied into her deep trauma. She drowns with Dan. Then we see the sailor circling the boat, the baby crying, and no one else in sight. All the adults have died. Then finally, the movie cuts to Amy, who can hear her baby off in the distance. She looks down to the deck, and it is her father that is laying in his front, "rescued" finally once and for all by his daughter. "Rescued" in heaven, that is. Amy has died and wherever or whatever she now is, she's finally reunited with her father and has managed to do what she has spent her entire life wishing she could have done - she has pulled him from the sea. But sadly yes, she's dead. She didn't pull Dan out of the sea, he and she both drowned in the real world. It's supposed to be a sort of spiritual, transcendent ending like Silent Hill or Solaris. I don't know why people don't get this ending. The body is too old to be Dan, with greyish hair and the same marks on his back as Amy's father in the earlier scene where we see him drown.