The Changing Face of Films in Hollywood: A Shift in Recognition

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this year's nomination list, Hollywood has taken a different route, recognizing films that are complex and severe by their standards. These films shed light on dark aspects of society, the family, and the individual's place in the world.
  • In the past, nominees mainly represented the hopes and dreams of studio executives. However, this year's selection showcases a departure from the traditional formula of feel-good dramas and epic fantasies.
  • The change in movie trends suggests that Hollywood has become aware that things are not as they used to be. The era of contained entertainment featuring happy middle-class characters is giving way to a new narrative exploration of societal issues.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

CNNの記事について質問があります(1)

質問があります。 But the show's writers have to find a way to describe all the nominated films so the stars presenting the awards will have something to say after they tell their jokes. Everyone knows this shorthand: Films are heartwarming, about underdogs. They explore things, lift the spirit, affirm. Q1 so the stars presentingのsoって、つまり、A so BでBだからAみたいな感じでしょうか? 役者達は、ジョークを飛ばしたあとに、何か大事な事を言う。だから、記者達は映画の内容を定義するために、道をみつけなければならない。 これは何を言いたいのかというと、記者達は役者達の言うことを聞いて、映画の内容を定義しなければならない。ということですか? In years past -- last year, for instance -- the nominees have usually been disparate, reflecting various hopes and dreams, but still mostly the hopes and dreams of studio executives. "The Blind Side," "UP" and "Avatar" didn't have much in common. Q2 but still mostly the hopes and dreams of studio executives. "The Blind Side," "UP" and "Avatar" didn't have much in common. これの意味がいまいちよくわかりません。 つまり何が言いたいのかというと、 しかし、その大部分は(映画)スタジオの重役達が掲げた夢だった。 ブラインドサイドも、アップもアバターも共通点はなかった。←これはどういう意味でしょうか? This year, things have changed. In the absence of epic fantasy, superhero movies, feel-good drama and indie quirk, the academy has chosen to recognize a group of films that are complex and severe by Hollywood standards, films that show us dark things about society, the family and the individual's place in the world. Q3 the academy has chosen to recognize a group of films that are complex and severe by Hollywood standards, films that show us dark things about society, the family and the individual's place in the world. この部分がよくわかりません。recognizeが解釈出来ません。 アカデミー賞の選ぶ側の人らは、ハリウッド水準の複雑かつ厳しいという映画のグループを認めるために選んだ。 つまり何が言いたいのかというと ハリウッドの厳しさを認めるために選んだ。といったニュアンスですか? Picking these films shows that somehow Hollywood has gotten word that things are not what they were. It is as though an era (roughly corresponding with the last Bush presidency) of contained entertainment featuring happy middle-class people is over, at least at this level of filmmaking. Q4 このパラグラフは丸々わからない・・・。結局、文法だの単語云々ではなく、何が言いたいのかがわからない。結局何が言いたいのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

Q1。>>これは何を言いたいのかというと、記者達は役者達の言うことを聞いて、映画の内容を定義しなければならない。ということですか?  鍵は、Everyone knows this shorthand: にある、shorthand の「縮めた表現」でしょう。  http://eow.alc.co.jp/shorthand/UTF-8/  ショーの記者は、縮めれば、甲(Films are heartwarming, about underdogs)とか乙( They explore things, lift the spirit, affirm)に落ち着くように、役者が出た映画を調べておかなくてはならない、ということでしょう。 Q2。みんな同じような(甲とか乙とか)ところに落ち着く、というスタジオのお偉方が希望したような夢には、ほど遠く、映画1、2、3、に共通点は無い、といったことでしょう。 Q3。(単純でウハウハした)ハリウッドの基準から見れば、複雑で厳しい映画を、アカデミーは受賞作とし、世界におかれた家族や個人や社会の暗い面を取り上げた作品を選んだ。recognize は、「価値があると認めて」という意味でしょう。 Q4。こいういう作品を取り上げた、ということはどうやらハリウッドが事態は昔とは違う、という事に気づいた事を示している。少なくともこのレベルの映画づくりでは、幸福な中産階級を題材にしたエンターテインメントの時代(ざっと言ってこの前のブッシュ大統領の時代に相当する)は終わったように見える。    纏めれば、明るい楽しいハリウッド映画屋も、(それだけじゃ売れない)世の中の暗い面も取り上げなくては、と気づいたらしい、という事でしょう。

medium_2011
質問者

お礼

アドバイスありがとうございます。 Q3の「価値があると認めて」でかなり腑に落ちました。なるほど・・・。 全体的に何度も読んで砕いていかないとだめですね・・・。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• newbies
  • ベストアンサー率39% (45/115)
回答No.3

Q1 show writers (ショーについて評論する=人映画評論家・記者と訳せる。) show's writers (ショーが所有する作家=進行させる作家=ショーのシナリオライター) the stars presenting the awards はオスカー賞を授与するスター達=ペアーを組む司会者とその取り巻き >記者達は映画の内容を定義するために、道をみつけなければならない。 ではなく、貴方の言葉をそのまま使えば ショーの脚本家は司会者が映画の内容を定義するために、シナリオをみつけなければらない。

medium_2011
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 確かに、show writersとshow's writersでは意味合いが変わってきますね・・・。 もっと細かい部分にこだわっていかないと落とし穴にすぐはまってしまいます・・・。 ありがとうございました。

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.2

Q1 >so the stars presentingのsoって、つまり、A so BでBだからAみたいな感じでしょうか? ではなく、AだからBではないでしょうか。 この前の文章では、アカデミー賞の授賞式の視聴者の興味はもっぱらスターたちの衣装などで、映画そのものには関心がない、ということを書いてますよね。 しかし、授賞式のリポートを書く記者としては映画そのものについても書かなくてはならないので、オスカーを授与するスターたちにはあらかじめジョークの他にも映画について一言触れるようにという事前の打ち合わせがあって、映画の感想を述べる簡略表現として「日の当たらない人々に目を向けた心温まる映画だ」とか「事物を深く見つめた、見るものに勇気を与えた、主張がはっきりしていた」などが決まり文句というのは周知のことだ、ということではないでしょうか。 Q2 過去においては、例えば去年でいうと、候補作はそれぞれまったく異質のもので、様々な希望や夢を反映しているものだが、それでもやっぱり映画会社の重役の希望や夢を反映していることに他ならない。「ブラインド・サイド」も「アップ」も「アバター」も共通点はほとんどなかったが(でも映画会社の重役の夢の反映という共通項があった)。 ということで、( )部分が省略されていると考えればいいのではないでしょうか。 Q3 the academy has chosen to recognize a group of films that are complex and severe by Hollywood standards, films that show us dark things about society, the family and the individual's place in the world. アカデミーは、ハリウッドの標準からすると複雑でシビアな映画、すなわち、社会の裏側や、世界における家族や個人の立場を見せる、一連の映画の価値を認めることを選択したのだ。 Q4 #1さんと大体同じですが、at least at this level of filmmaking. は「少なくとも映画製作の段階においては」だと思います。

medium_2011
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 Q2の()部分が省略という点でなるほど、と納得出来ました。そこに対するカンを養わないとだめですね・・・。 ありがとうございました。またよろしくお願いいたします。

関連するQ&A

• CNNの記事について質問があります(2)

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/25/hamrah.oscars.grim/index.html?iref=allsearch 続きです。 Let's call these films 3D movies: disintegration, devaluation and demoralization. To watch these movies, you have to take off your polarized glasses. Q5 これらの3D映画をこう呼ぼう。崩壊、価値の引き下げ、意気消沈。これらの映画を見るためには、3Dメガネを外さなくてはならない。 直訳するとこうなりますが、つまり、何が言いたいのですか? The 10 films nominated for Best Picture, along with the ones singled out for actors' performances, all deal with disintegrating or uncertain families, or with young men and women suddenly thrust into the world on their own once they've realized their families have become their captors. Q6 once they've realized their families have become their captors. これが、何を言いたいのかがよくわかりません・・・。 Annette Bening plays a masculinized mother in that movie, scary at times, but a beacon of sanity compared with the mothers in "Black Swan," "The Fighter," "Animal Kingdom," "Winter's Bone," and "Inception," a gaggle of frightening harridans and depressives the likes of which have never been rounded up in a cinematic year before this one. Q7 a gaggle of 以降がよくわかりません・・・。the likesの意味がよくわからないです。 次のパラグラフの Young men are on their ownがよくわかりません。 若い男性らは、自分自身のことだけだ。みたいな意味ですか?ownをどう訳すのかが問題だと思うのですが・・・。 The films that don't take place in squalor play out in closed and emptied spaces, or in dreamscapes of collapse, like the ones in "Inception." "Black Swan" manages to make the once-dainty world of ballet grimy, sweaty and bloody. Who knew it could be so claustrophobic and terrifying? Q8 このパラグラフはそもそも何が言いたいのかがよくわかりません。すいません日本語訳をお願いいたします。 All these films are of a much higher-grade than the usual Hollywood fare. Q9 文法的に理解出来ません。of a much higher...ですが、 All these films are a much higher-grade than the usual Hollywood fare.ではないのでしょうか? この文章と、ofが入っている実際の文章との違いを教えてください。 長くなってしまいましたがよろしくお願いいたします。

• CNNの記事の内容について質問があります

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/09/ufc.kick.silva.belfort/index.html Repeated blows to the head may cause severe brain injury, especially over time. Once a player has been hit once as Belfort was, additional trauma soon after could have had a worse impact, resulting in loss of consciousness. Q1 このパラグラフのOnce a player has been hit once as Belfort was, additional trauma soon after could have had a worse impact, resulting in loss of consciousness. がうまく訳せません。 onceの部分とcould have hadの部分がちょっと理解できないです・・・。 Concussions don't necessarily involve loss of consciousness; in fact, most don't, and it's possible to have a concussion without realizing it, according to the Mayo Clinic. Symptoms may include loss of balance and confusion, as well as headache and difficulty sleeping. Q2 in fact, most don't, and it's possible to have a concussion without realizing it, このパラグラフのこの文章ですが、「実際、脳しんとうと気絶の関連性はほとんどない。そして・・・」 以降の、it'sのitと、realizing itのitがうまく訳せません。どういう意味になるのでしょうか? Some people are a little more prone than others to getting knocked out, or don't recover as well, King said. Some fighters are said to have a "good chin" -- they are better at enduring blows. In those individuals, the brain may have adapted to that kind of injury, or the cumulative damage isn't as obvious as it is in others, King said. Q3 キング氏はこう述べる。「一部の人間は、よりノックアウトしやすい傾向にある。それでいて回復しない」。少数の格闘家は、”頑丈なアゴ”を持っていると言われている。そのため、攻撃に対しての耐久性がより強い。・・・・ここまでで解釈はあってますか?そして、その次からはよくわかりません。 in those individualsはsome fightersの事ですよね?以降の文章の訳も教えてください。 "There are some people who can take that shot over and over again, but there is a point of no return, too," said Javier Mendez Q4 この文章のtakeがうまく訳せません。takeなので攻撃を「受ける」側ですよね?与える側ではなくて。度重なる攻撃に耐え抜ける人間というのが一部で存在する。しかし、それは手遅れでもあるんだ。こんな感じでしょうか? Q5それと、I was a little bit outとはどういう意味ですか? a littl bit、outした状態ということで、 ほんの少し、(意識が)とんだ。みたいな感じですか?

• CNNの記事の内容について質問があります

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/02/15/italy.berlusconi.dancer/index.html?iref=allsearch ベルルスコーニのスキャンダルに関する内容です。 The leggy performer, who has since appeared in scantily clad photographs across the country, told the Italian news channel Sky TG24 that she had lied about her age before meeting Berlusconi for a dinner party at his private residence near Milan. この文章の ,who has since appeared in scantily clad photographs across the countryがよくわかりません。どういう意味でしょうか? El Mahrough said that after the arrest, she was visited by dancer Michelle Rivera and regional lawmaker Nicole Minetti, whom prosecutors have tried to link to the allegations against the prime minister. whomの先行詞は何になって、空になった目的語はlinkの次でしょうか?そしてどういう意味でしょうか? El Mahrough said Minetti then called Berlusconi "to explain how things went," handing her the phone "so that I could thank him." この文章の意味がわかりません。訳をお願いいたします。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

申し訳ありませんが、お願いします。 There are soms things that I would not have done , and some things that I have failed to do that I would do. One of the things that I would have done if I had known the importance of it would have been to go to college.

• 原発に関する記事ですが、分からないところがあります

Since the Fukushima accident we have seen a stream of experts on radiation telling us not to worry, that the doses are too low, that the accident is nothing like Chernobyl and so forth. They appear on television and we read their articles in the newspapers and online. Fortunately the majority of the public don’t believe them. I myself have appeared on television and radio with these people; one example was Ian Fells of the University of Newcastle who, after telling us all on BBC News that the accident was nothing like Chernobyl (wrong), and the radiation levels of no consequence (wrong), that the main problem was that there was no electricity and that the lifts didn’t work. “ If you have been in a situation when the lifts don’t work, as I have” he burbled on, “you will know what I mean.” You can see this interview on youtube and decide for yourself. What these people have in common is ignorance. You may think a professor at a university must actually know something about their subject. But this is not so. Nearly all of these experts who appear and pontificate have not actually done any research on the issue of radiation and health. Or if they have, they seem to have missed all the key studies and references. I leave out the real baddies, who are closely attached to the nuclear industry, like Richard Wakeford, or Richard D as he calls himself on the anonymous website he has set up to attack me, “chrisbusbyexposed”. Ian Fells of the University of Newcastle whoとありますが、whoに対する動詞はどれですか? telling us all on BBC News とありますが、tellingの目的節がthat以下になって最後のthatはand that になるはずと思うのですが、どうもそのようになってない。and that the lifts didn’t workのand that は the main problem was に対するthatですよね? 最後に、liftと“chrisbusbyexposed”の意味が分かりません。 宜しくお願いします。

• 高校1年 英文翻訳

★至急翻訳お願いします Life is full of adventures. Never give up,and have more guts! These are the mottos kept in Akiko 's mind. I don't like to think about the things I can't do. Instead ,I like to think about the things I can do. I want people around me to change and I also want to change and grow. By making the most of her abilities,she hopes that other deaf people will follow suit. I believe dreams are for everyone

• CNNの記事について質問がありますその2

すいませんCNNの記事について先日質問させて頂きましたが、 今日の質問はその記事の続きになります。 http://edition.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/21/us.wikileaks.manning/index.html Quantico public affairs officer Lt. Brian Villiard said under military rules he could not confirm whether the complaint had been received. He said all the conditions of Manning's confinement are in line with his maximum custody status and to prevent Manning from harming himself. he could not confirm whether the complaint had been received. 彼はその不服申し立てが受理されたかどうか確認する事が出来ないだろう。 Q1この彼というのは弁護士のデビッドということで良いですか? Q2 このCouldの用法は~出来ないだろう。で良いでしょうか? つまり、この弁護士のデビッドは不服申し立てをしたものの、それが受理されるかどうかを確認する事は出来ない。ということでしょうか?どうもこの訳文だと浮いている気がしますが・・・。 "He is not being treated any differently than anyone else in maximum custody," Villiard said. "We're not treating him any differently than anyone who could pose a risk to life, property or national security." Q3 "We're not treating him any differently than anyone who could pose a risk to life, property or national security." マニングに対する我々の扱いは、他の誰とも違ってはいない。 ここまではわかりますが、 anyone who could pose a risk to life, property or natinal security.がわかりません。 人生、財産、それと国家の安全に危険をもたらす人物という事でしょうか? つまり、人生、財産、それと国家の安全に危険をもたらす他の人物とマニングの扱いは一緒ですよという説明ですか? In December, a Pentagon spokesman said that even under the restrictive conditions, Manning is allowed to converse with other prisoners, receive visitors and exercise for an hour a day. In addition, Manning has pillows and sheets made from a material that cannot be torn into strips, according to Villiard. Q4 In addition, Manning has pillows and sheets made from a material that cannot be torn into strips made from a material that can not be torn into strips.がわかりません。 pillow and sheets from a materialまではわかりますが・・・。 a material can not be torn into stripsとはどういう意味ですか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

Contrary to popular belief, the past was not more eventful than the present. If seems so it is because when you look backward things that happened years apart are telescoped together, and because very few of your memories come to you genuinely virgin. It is largely because of the books, films and reminiscences that have come between that the war of 1914-18 is now supposed to have had some tremendous, epic quality that the present one lacks. 上記の英文の中の以下の部分についてなのですが、 It is largely because of the books, films and reminiscences that have come between that the war of 1914-18 is now supposed to have had some tremendous, epic quality that the present one lacks. 訳は、 『第一次世界大戦が、現在には見られない何かものすごい叙事詩的な性質をもっていたと思われているのは、おおかた大戦後に続いて出された書物や映画や回顧録などのせいだ。』 になっていたのですが、 大戦後に続いて出された、の箇所はhave come betweenのところになるのでしょうか? come betweenを調べると"間に入る"と出てくるのですが、 なぜ、大戦後に続いて出された、となるのでしょうか? お手数ですが教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いいたします。 ----My Country Right or Left: George Orwell

• 訳して下さい!m(_ _)m

友達からメールをもらったのですが、なんて書いてあるんですか??? バカな私には分かりません・・・。教えてください。 There are so many things to do each day There is so much going on in the world of great concern that often we do not stop and think about what is really important to us One of the nicest things in my life is my friendship with you and even if we don´t have a lot of time to spend with each other I want you to always know how much I appreciate you and our friendship

• 訳して下さい!m(_ _)m

友達からメールをもらったのですが、なんて書いてあるんですか??? バカな私には分かりません・・・。教えてください。 There are so many things to do each day There is so much going on in the world of great concern that often we do not stop and think about what is really important to us One of the nicest things in my life is my friendship with you and even if we don´t have a lot of time to spend with each other I want you to always know how much I appreciate you and our friendship