Difference between someone and someone else

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The difference between 'someone' and 'someone else' lies in the context and specificity. Both terms mean 'someone' or 'another person', but 'someone else' implies a different person than the one previously mentioned or expected. For example, in the sentence 'Recently found that someone using my computer without permission', 'someone' refers to an unidentified person, whereas in 'Recently found that someone else using my computer without permission', 'someone else' suggests a different individual other than the speaker or someone previously known.
  • When it comes to using these terms, it depends on the intended meaning and the clarity of the context. If the speaker wants to emphasize that it was another person who used their computer without permission, they can use 'someone else'. However, if there is no need for such distinction, 'someone' can suffice.
  • In the example sentence, 'Recently found that someone using my computer without permission', the use of 'someone' implies an unidentified person who used the computer without permission. It does not specify whether it was the speaker or someone else. On the other hand, 'Recently found that someone else using my computer without permission' suggests that it was a different individual other than the speaker. Depending on the intended meaning, both sentences can be appropriate.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

someone と someone else

someone と someone else はどう違いますか? どちらも「他人」や「他の誰か」の意味ですが、 例えば、 「最近、誰かが勝手に私のコンピューターを使ったことがわかった。」 と言いたい時、 「 Recently found that someone using my computer without permission. 」と、 「 Recently found that someone else using my computer without permission. 」 では、違うのでしょうか? どちらが適切ですか? コンピューターを勝手に使った「誰か」は「一人の人」を指して言っています。 また、上記の表現では適切でなかったり、おかしな点があればご指摘ください。 よろしくお願いします。

noname#128161
noname#128161
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

おたずねの意味だと,上の文が普通だと思います. 下の文は「あいつが使ったのは分かってるけどもう一人いる!」場合. もう一つおまけ "We need SOMEONE who could help this lady...." では,自分がその人になる可能性も含まれます. SESAME STREETでビッグバードが自分が「役立たず」だとこぼす話の中で,"I'm not somebody."というのがあったように記憶しています."somebody" "someone"は「誰か」であって,自分を含める可能性も十分あるようです.

noname#128161
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。 おまけも付けていただき参考になりました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

elseが入ることで、別の人という意味合いが強くなると思います。

noname#128161
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語に堪能な方、よろしくお願いします。

ある教材からの抜粋になります。 ・彼は道路地図を使わずに森深くにある私の家を見つけました。 He found my house deep in the forest without using a road map. 私は以下のように書きました。 He found my house deep in the forest not to use a road map. これでは「道路地図を使わずに」とは表現できないと教えていただき大変納得したのですが、他の方の意見や考え方もお伺いしたと思っております。 先の日本語に対し私の英文(不定詞部分)が不適切である説明をお願いいたします。 (またこれでも合っているというご説明がもしありましたら、合わせてお聞かせいただきたいです。) 英語に堪能な方、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 勝手にスマホを見るなよという表現

勝手にスマホを見るなよという表現は Don’t see my smartphone without my permisson. で宜しいのでしょうか?

• That’s big of him.

Q: Invalid Marriage: We recently found out that my “husband” is still married to his first wife. I feel like a fraud and want to get an annulment. My “husband” feels like it’s no big deal. It’s a big deal to me. What say you, Prudence? A: Someone who marries his second wife while still married to his first wife is someone who would say bigamy is no big deal. That’s big of him. That’s big of him.はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 文法問題です。わかる方教えてください

次の各文中で( )のitが指しているもの、もしくは表している意味を選択肢から答えよ。 問1:(It) was snowing heavily last night. (1)その場の状況 (2)時 (3)天候 (4)明暗 (5)距離 問2:How far is (it) from here to the amusement park? (1)その場の状況 (2)時 (3)天候 (4)明暗 (5)距離 問3:(It) is not clear when my grandfather was born. (1)その場の状況 (2)天候 (3)clear (4)When my grandfather was born 問4:I make (it) a rule never to mix business with pleasure. (1)その場の状況 (2) a rule (3)business (4)never to mix business with pleasure 問5:Laura always uses my computer without permission, and I don't like (it). (1)その場の状況 (2)Laura (3)my computer (4)Laura always uses my computer without permission

• look の意味?

ある本を見ていたら, I don't for a moment question that my children are gonna look to replace me with someone else as their father figure. の訳が 「私の子供達は,父親として,私を他の誰かと置き換えようとすることになるとは全然思わない.」 となっていました. ここの「look」の意味はなんでしょうか? 辞書で look を見ても一杯訳があってよく分からないのですが...

• この英文あってる???

Come and help me!I've got a cold and I've lost my sense of taste.BTW Is it true that you recover from colds when you give them to someone else?:D

• tear someone a new one

I love giving gifts. I travel a lot and am constantly on the look out for unique, personal items that I know will mean something special to my friends and family. It’s a kind of sport for me, I guess, but I never thought about its having winners and losers until this last Christmas. I have a friend of 20 years who’s been married these last four. I usually get her something special and give him a bottle of Scotch. While I don’t know him that well I do know he collects a very specific type of sports memorabilia and while traveling last year I found a very rare and underpriced item that I knew he’d been searching for. So I bought it for him and waited eagerly for Christmas. But the moment he opened it I knew I’d made a mistake. He was overjoyed and declared it the best gift he’d ever gotten, and my friend was livid. She dragged me into the kitchen and tore me a new one. tear someone a new oneはどのような意味でしょうか?英語での説明はあったのですが、日本語の訳がほしいです。よろしくお願いします

• 添削お願いします。

週1回の英会話サークルに参加していますが、ほとんど独学です。ときどき、自分で文章を書いていますが自分がどんな英語を書いているのか良くわかりません。 下記の文、文法間違い、不自然なところ、御指摘お願いします。また、どう表現したらいいのかわからないところも英訳お願いします。 Recently terrible crimes came one and another. About 20years ago, when my sons were kids I had thought that Japan had been forrowing America from 10years behind crime-wise. I had been worried about my children's future. それがだんだん縮まってきて、 Now it seems that our country is hanging on America's back. よろしくお願いします。

• job references

My Ph.D. supervisor was one of my job references until recently, when I asked a colleague (I finished my Ph.D. eight months ago). After a lot of struggle finding a position anywhere (let alone an academic one) I soon found a job that I liked after making that change. Last week, a mutual professional acquaintance of my Ph.D. supervisor and mine told me that she gave me bad references in the past, citing my “lack of ambition.” Ph.D. supervisorとは何でしょうか?あと、ここでのreferenceの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 次の文のitとthemがよく分かりません。

次の文のitとthemがよく分かりません。 たとえば今の小学生あたりに、昔は電気を使わないで、木でできた冷蔵庫があったのだと言っても、たぶん信じないであろう。電気を使わないでどうして冷えるんだ、と反論されるにちがいない。 If you were to tell today's primary school children that refrigerators used to be made of wood, they probably wouldn't believe you. They would certainly say that it would be impossible to keep them cold without using electricity. 上記の文のit would be impossible のitですが、これはrefrigeratorをさしているのでしょうか?それとも to keep them cold without using electricity の仮主語なのでしょうか? また、keep them cold のthemですが、これはrefrigeratorsなのでしょうか?もしそうなら「冷蔵庫が冷たい状態であることを保つ」ということになりますが、日本語的発想では冷蔵庫は中に入れたものを冷やすものであり、「冷蔵庫(自体)が冷えている」とはあまり言わないと思うのですが、英語では普通の表現なのでしょうか?