英文解釈に関する質問

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Q1: 「I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and not so much for aesthetics」の意味と続きについて質問があります。
  • Q1の疑問文の解釈について質問があります。
  • Q2: 「How would you describe your method of composing?」について質問があります。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

下記の英文解釈について質問があります。12/11

Do you see yourself as part of a certain tradition or as part of a movement? No, not really. I mean, when I started making music more seriously there was (and still is) a vivid electronica scene here in Vienna (Mego,Cheap, etc), which influenced me for sure. But the music I listen to is so diverse.... I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and not so much for aesthetics. So the music or let’s say one aspect of a piece which has an influence on what I do, can come from nearly everywhere. Diversity is so important for me that I can hardly imagine to be part of a movement - at least not a strict one that has any kind of "rules". Q1 4行目の、I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and not so much for aestheticsですが、and以降はどこからの続きになっているのでしょうか? それとここはどういった意味になるのでしょうか?それと最初の1行目で、no, not reallyと言っていますが、「いや、そうでもない」という意味ですが、つまり疑問文をorで区切るのではなく、答えを見てどちらかを削るのがわかりやすい流れでしょうかね? How would you describe your method of composing? あなたの曲作りの方法というものをどのように定義しますか? Usually i have an idea of the effect, which the piece should have. Then I try to build sounds and tonal relationships to establish that. But I don’t follow the tracks all the time – sometimes there happens an exciting fragment on the original way and I continue with that. Most of the time there is a small structure, a small texture by an acoustic instrument in the beginning and by the time I build more and more around it. When I have found the basic modules, then I think about the general structure and so on. It is a modular system, but not in a specific order - what I mean is that I don’t necessarily start with a theme or something. Q2  1行目ですが文法の構造としては、コンマの前の文自体が先行詞ですよね。つまり、強引に組み立てると The piece should have [I have an idea of the effect,]. こうなるのでしょうか? あと訳がいまいちわからないです。 大抵の場合、俺はアイデアを持っている。→効果についての。 →楽曲が・・・うーんいまいちわかりません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • newbies
  • ベストアンサー率39% (45/115)
回答No.3

Q1 > 4行目の、I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and not so much for aestheticsですが、and以降はどこからの続きになっているのでしょうか? I am looking for genral functions in pieces of other smusicians and (I am) not so much (looking) for aesthetics Q2 > それとここはどういった意味になるのでしょうか?それと最初の1行目で、no, not reallyと言っていますが、「いや、そうでもない」という意味ですが、つまり疑問文をorで区切るのではなく、答えを見てどちらかを削るのがわかりやすい流れでしょうかね? orの使い方は”A、もしくはB”ではなく添付辞書の3番で”A、すなわち、言い換えれえばB”という使い方で”tradtionの一部として、すなわち、その流れからですか?す。 3. rephrasing statement: used to introduce a rephrasing synonym or correction of a statement just made http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861635276/or.html Q2 1行目ですが文法の構造としては、コンマの前の文自体が先行詞ですよね。つまり、強引に組み立てると The piece should have [I have an idea of the effect,]. こうなるのでしょうか? Usually i have an idea of the effect, which the piece should have. I have an idea of the effect. The pieces should have "an idea" (または、idea of the effect) それぞれの曲がもつ考え方・・その効果を知っている・・・のようなニュアンスと思います。

sleepetcetc
質問者

お礼

皆さんレスありがとうございました。ああなるほどそういったことか、と納得は出来ました。 しかし、いざ日本語に変えてみたらどうもわからない・・・。 自分の脳みそには何か欠陥があるのかもしれませんね。 とにかくどの英文を見ても「で、結局は何が言いたいの?」で必ずつまづきます。 何が言いたいのかを読み解く力は英語力とは別なのかどうなのか・・・。 明確な答えがつかめていないです。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• tjhiroko
  • ベストアンサー率52% (2281/4352)
回答No.2

>Q1 4行目の、I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and not so much for aestheticsですが、and以降はどこからの続きになっているのでしょうか? I am looking for general functions in pieces of other musicians and I am not so much looking for aesthetics in pieces of other musicians. ということになるのではないでしょうか。 他のミュージシャンの曲の中に一般的な機能を探し求めているのであって、審美的なものはそれほど探し求めてはいない、ということではないかと。 「一般的な機能」というのは、普通の人が心の安らぎを求めるために音楽を聴くが、それと同じような目的で音楽を聴く、ということを言っているんじゃないでしょうか。 >Q2  1行目ですが文法の構造としては、コンマの前の文自体が先行詞ですよね。つまり、強引に組み立てると The piece should have [I have an idea of the effect,]. こうなるのでしょうか? 先行詞はeffect で、 Usually i have an idea of the effect, which the piece should have. =Usually I have an idea of the effect, and the piece should have the effect. と書き換えることも出来るかもしれません。 意味的には「普通はその効果の理念がまずあるんだ。その曲が持つべき効果のね」ということで、the effect とは何のことかという説明を補足した形だと思います。 つまり、例えばその曲に聞く人をリラックスさせる効果を持たせるように作るのか、それともやる気満々にさせるような効果を持たせるのか、などといった話ではないでしょうか。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15294/33013)
回答No.1

Q1。and 以降は、疑問文に含まれている前提の続きでは無いでしょうか。  最初の一行は、疑問文の or の前と後全部を否定した「いや、そのどちらでもない」ではないでしょうか。 Q2。おっしゃる通りだと思います。これはインタビューに答える言わば、即興的に生成されている文ですから、推敲を重ねた、書き言葉ではない印象を受けます。  「大抵の場合、自分が作る曲がどういう効果を持っているべきかについて、一応の考えは持っている。つぎにそれ(効果)を現出させるために音を作り、音と音の間の関係を作り上げようと試みる。しかしいつも(既成の)軌道に乗っている訳ではない、ときには、私独自の興奮する断片が浮かべば、それを追う。多くの場合、小さな組織、音響学的な器楽による小さなテクスチャーが初めにあり、そのまわりに私は肉付けをして行く。基礎となるモジュール(構成要素)が見つかると、私は全体の構造を考える、まあこう言った調子です。だからモジュールで構成される組織です。したがって、一定の順序に従う訳ではない、私の言いたいのは、テーマ(主題)とか、そういったものからいつも始めるとは決まっていないということです。」  ここの説明で、Q1の初めに、なぜ no, not really と言っているかという理由が非常にはっきりしてきますね。tradition とか movement についての質問が、如何に見当違いの質問かが分かりますし、この人が aethetics について言ったことも分かるような気がします。  まあ雑な訳ですから、質問者さんが専門の立場から完成品にしていただく「たたき台」に過ぎませんがご参考までに。

関連するQ&A

• 下記英文の解釈について質問があります 2

You could have just continued down with your solo efforts. What made you come together for a new Lokai album nonetheless? I like to work with Stefan a lot. For me it´s a very unique way of creating music. At the same time, we are both continuing with our solos. My second solo album is almost ready. I am looking for the right place to release it right now. It is called KMET and it´s an electronic Singer-Songwriter project. In the studio I write, record, play and sing it all. Also on stage, it works as a one man show with the support of a little live sampler. I think with "transition", lokai have found their very own sound and aesthetic. So that alone offers to me something no other project can. We have very different personalities (even though some people think we are brothers) and this can be quite fruitful. With lokai, it´s is clear that certain sounds or structures will not fit. So it is a restriction that makes the world a little smaller and for me that is a great way to work. Complete musical freedom and variety are aspects I can entertain as a solo artist. So that alone offers to me something no other project can. この一文は倒置?でしょうか? もともとはどうなるのでしょうか? With lokai, it´s is clear that certain sounds or structures will not fit. So it is a restriction that makes the world a little smaller and for me that is a great way to work. 結構この人の文章では、with~, というのがありますが、これは上記の場合Lokaiでは、という風に訳せばよいでしょうか? その次のit's の it はthat以降ですよね。That certain sounds or structures will not fit is clear.その次の文章がわかりません。soは後のthatと因果関係があるのでしょうか? それと、上記とは別に This second album was really a lot about getting our own "lokai sound". この文章ですが、 シンプルな構造にすると this second album was getting our own lokai soundということでしょうか? そうすると、aboutがうまく解釈できないのですが・・・。 以上となります。長いですがよろしくお願いいたします…。

• 下記英文の解釈について質問があります 1

What's on your schedule at the moment? Doing release-related work for lokai, like getting the website ready, spreading the word about the release, doing lots of finetuning with the live versions of the pieces. With this program, it is an even more refined and live process. Next to that, I am finishing my second KMET soloalbum, doing some live Shows in Spain with Fatima Spar & the freedomfries, and also working on the trio exklusiv album. With this program, it is an even more refined and live process. この部分の解釈ですが、with this programというのは、finetuning云々のことをさしているのですよね。 それと、live processがうまく解釈できません。 refined process and live processということでしょうか?このliveは品詞は形容詞ですか? というか、live processがなければかっちりはまるのですが・・・。 You could have just continued down with your solo efforts. What made you come together for a new Lokai album nonetheless? I like to work with Stefan a lot. For me it´s a very unique way of creating music. At the same time, we are both continuing with our solos. My second solo album is almost ready. I am looking for the right place to release it right now. It is called KMET and it´s an electronic Singer-Songwriter project. In the studio I write, record, play and sing it all. Also on stage, it works as a one man show with the support of a little live sampler. I think with "transition", lokai have found their very own sound and aesthetic. So that alone offers to me something no other project can. We have very different personalities (even though some people think we are brothers) and this can be quite fruitful. With lokai, it´s is clear that certain sounds or structures will not fit. So it is a restriction that makes the world a little smaller and for me that is a great way to work. Complete musical freedom and variety are aspects I can entertain as a solo artist. まずthe support of a little live samplerのa little live samplerですが、a は冠詞でlittleは小さい、つまり、ライブ用の小さいサンプラーというふうに解釈しているのですがどうでしょうか。 (サンプラーというのは、まぁともかくそういった”楽器”のようなものがあります)

• 下記英文の解釈で質問があります 1/1 (2)

http://www.absolutmetal.com/MeshuggahInterviewMF03.htm メシュガーというバンドのインタビュー記事です。 Sean: With all of the high profile tours that you guys have been doing, have there been any acts that have really caught your eye? Mårten: "It's kinda of hard to say yet, I donno, we're kinda of a tough band still, you know, the music is pretty fucked up I guess, so it's not like we're gonna have this huge difference all of a sudden, we're gonna blow up and have huge sales or do fuckin' huge tours." Sean: No, no I meant like, when you've been on tour have you seen or heard any of the local bands from around here that have caught you ear? Mårten: "Oh, oh ok. Actually, not really, we haven't really listened alot... ショーン:あなたがやってきた注目を浴びるツアーの全てで、あなたの目にとまる出演バンドはありましたか? マルテン:答えるのが難しいな。今はわからんよ。俺たちは今でもタフなバンドだし、それに、俺たちの音楽はかなりfucked upだと思うぜ。 ショーン:いやいやいや、そういう意味ではなくて、あなたがツアーに出ている時、あなたの目にとまったローカルバンドを見たり、聴いたりしましたか? Q3 ショーンの質問に対してマルテンは勘違いをしていますが、彼が読み違いを起こした決定的ポイントとはどこでしょうか? 私には最初の質問も次の質問も同じに見えます。 With all of the high profile tours that you guys have been doingが読み解く鍵でしょうか? 注目を引くようなツアーのおかげで、みたいなニュアンスですか?いや、違うな・・・。 (ちなみにこの時はこのバンドはToolという超大物バンドの前座に起用されてツアーをやってました。) Q4 マルテンの文章ですが、so it's not like we're gonna have this huge difference all of a sudden, we're gonna blow up and have huge sales or do fuckin' huge tours."がよくわかりません。 Q5 fuck up は台無しにする。ですが、そうなるとこの文章を直訳すると「その音楽はかなり台無しにしてしまったと思う」となってしまうのですが・・・。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 下記英文についてもう一度質問させてください。

http://okwave.jp/qa/q6431779.html "Touching Down Lightly" is your new album with only one track of 47 minutes. I consider that musicians that create long music's are the ones who really know how to make music. Do you share my thought? That's an interesting point of view, I clearly get what you mean. I used to consider that when a musician composed a very long work, he couldn't do it without a lot of heart and conviction. I thought, for example, Morton Feldman couldn't create a 3 or 4 hour piece without having a lot to put in it. Same for LaMonte Young's incredibly long drones, or an opera by Olivier Messiaen lasting 4 hours and a half. And I had this fantasy of composing a long piece myself. I never really did it, but this time I felt I needed something long, in just one part. "Touching Down Lightly" is improvised music. Anyway, the difference with composition is very slight. This kind of improv, very quiet and extremely slow, is like a composition in real time. It's not a matter of knowing how to make music. It's more about the need: the need to make a piece that can last and to feel powerful enough to do that while you're performing. And this recording was made with heart and conviction. この英文について、一行目のused toがあるためどうにも譜に落ちませんでした。「かつては」なので今はどうなのだろうかと。 それについてアドバイスを頂きました。ありがとうございます。もう少し質問させてください。 やはり、どうにもこの文章には釈然としないものを感じます。 釈然としない決定的理由は、一行目のI used to consider that~と、ラストの行の And this recording was made with heart and conviction.です。情熱と確信が必要だと思っていたのは、かつての考えだったのに、最後の行で、やっぱり情熱と確信によって作られたと言っています。なぜそれがありえるのか? これに対し、まえの質問の時、marbleshitさんは 「長い曲を作るのがいつまでも夢のままであったのは、情熱と確信がなかったからだ。だから現実には出来なかった。しかし今は必要性を感じて作った。」という解釈でした。(まとめるとこんな感じですね)ポイントは「I had this fantasy of composing a long piece myself. I never really did it.」この文章だとお思います。しかし、私はやはりこうおもってしまうのです。 ○かつては情熱と確信がないと長い曲が作れないと思っていた(consider) ×かつては情熱と確信が無いので長い曲を(作りたくても)作れなかった。 一行目の文章が書かれていますので、「いやいやいや、今は、情熱と確信が無くたって作れるんでしょ?情熱と確信が無いから作れなかったんじゃないでしょ?」と思ってしまうのです。微妙に食い違っているというか・・・。

• 下記英文の解釈で質問があります。

http://c.oshiete.goo.ne.jp/oshiete_category.php3?c=385 シルヴァン・シャボーというミュージシャンのインタビューです。 "Touching Down Lightly" is your new album with only one track of 47 minutes. I consider that musicians that create long music's are the ones who really know how to make music. Do you share my thought? That's an interesting point of view, I clearly get what you mean. I used to consider that when a musician composed a very long work, he couldn't do it without a lot of heart and conviction...................................略 It's not a matter of knowing how to make music. It's more about the need: the need to make a piece that can last and to feel powerful enough to do that while you're performing. And this recording was made with heart and conviction. 2段落目の It's more about the need: the need to make a piece that can last and to feel powerful enough to do that while you're performing. この文がいまいちわかりません。 構造は、 the need に対してto makeで修飾していて、 pieceを関係代名詞でthat以下で修飾、ですね。 a piece can last そして、次のto feelですが、ここがいまいちわかりません。 それとこの文章の意味を教えてください。 ――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――――― あと、単語帳のDuoにあった文章ですが、 A woman passed by me giving off a subtle scent of perfume. この文章ですが、givingの前にwasが入らないのでしょうか? A woman passed by me was giving off a subtle scent of perfume. なら納得がいくのですが・・・。 それともこれは文章ではなく、句なのでしょうか?

• 下記の英文を訳してくれる方はいませんか?

Kohlberg’s adolescent moral stage The operative moral principle in adolescence is often that if everyone misbehaved , society would not work; law and order are necessary or we would have chaos and so control over others. Interestingly, it is during this period of adolescence, when so many youngsters in fact have problems in accepting authority (or at least question it closely), that youngsters begin to feel very strongly about the importance of that authority for purposes of defining morality. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の説明をお願いします

以下の英文はサマセット・モームの『サミング・アップ』の17章の冒頭部分です。 I have been called cynical. I have been accused of making men out worse than they are. I do not think I have done this. All I have done is to bring into prominence certain traits that many writers shut their eyes to. I think what has chiefly struck me in human beings is their lack of consistency. I have never seen people all of a piece. It has amazed me that the most incongruous traits should exist in the same person and for all that yield a plausible harmony. I have often asked myself how characteristics, seemingly irreconcilable, can exist in the same person. I have known crooks who were capable of self-sacrifice, sneak-thieves who were sweet-natured and harlots for whom it was a point of honour to give good value for money. The only explanation I can offer is that so instinctive is each one's conviction that he is unique in the world, and privileged, that he feels that, however wrong it might be for others, what he for his part does, if not natural and right, is at least venial. 最後の部分の「The only explanation ~」にso thatの関係性が今ひとつ理解ができません。 【疑問】so instinctiveはどのthatにかかっているのか?   「each one's conviction that ~」のthatなのか、もしくは、このthatは前のconvictionの同格で     その先の「that he feels」のthatが該当するのか・・・ 私にとっては非常に難しくご教授を宜しくお願いいたします。 また、可能であればそのように判断した根拠も添えて頂けますと後学の参考になります。お手数かけますが、何卒宜しくお願いいたします。

• 下記英文の解釈もついて質問です 12/19

Many artists dream of a "magnum opus". Do you have a vision of what yours would sound like? 多くのアーティストは「最高傑作」への夢を持ち続けています。「最高傑作」についてのビジョンを持っていますか? No. Honestly talking, I don’t have a vision of an opus magnum and I guess even if I did, I probably woold not recognise when it happens. I try to do my work as good as I can, but with the knowledge that it reflects my personal development and the cirumstances of a specific period of my life. These conditions change and the output will be different. This kind of evolution is interesting for me, but not a single peak. ノー。正直に言うと、俺は最高傑作というものに対してビジョンなんて持っていないし、仮に最高傑作とやらを作り上げたとしても、それが最高傑作だと認める事はないだろうね。 自分の仕事に対して、可能な限りベストを尽くそうとはしているよ。しかし自分に備わっている知識とは、自分自身の成長や、ある特定の時期の周りの環境なんかに反映されて出来るものだ。そういった状況というのは変化するし、結果としてアウトプットも異なってくる。俺にとっては、この成長こそが興味の尽きないところなんだよ。しかも成長の波は一度ではない。 Q1 ここで言いたい事は、ひと言でいえば「成長を通して変化を重ねていくので、”最高”なんてものは無い」といった事でしょうか?変化という伸びていくものに対して、最高という天井は不必要。というとらえ方。 Q2  I try to do my work as good as I can, but with the knowledge that it reflects my personal development and the cirumstances of a specific period of my life. このセンテンスの文法上のルールを知りたいです。with the knowledge that it~ はどういったルールでしょうか?SVOではどれがどうなるのかなどを知りたいです。 itとは「I try to do my work as good as I can」のことでしょうか? それと、with the knowledgeの部分です。これがとういったルールでここに存在しているのか。 いまいちピンと来ませんが、強調構文というやつですか?

• 英文解釈をお願いします。

Bの解釈に悩んでいます。和訳をお願い致します。。 A:Okay, let’s go through your wardrobe. It’s kind of slim pickings in here. B:I don’t think I’m as clueless as I look when I walk out of my house. It’s more that I just don’t have anything. A:You wear things that make you feel comfortable……that look good on your frame. A:Because you have, what you think, is an unusual body.  And I’m telling you, it’s not as unusual as you think.

• 英文解釈について質問があります。 12/4

To me, „Transition“ is an almost tender album, which very much relies on a sense of breath and a precise placement of elements. How do you see the possibility of recreating this mood in a live setting? Stefan Németh: The precise placement is hopefully something we can achieve by simply practicing. This special mood is for sure another question. With this kind of music it seems it is important that you are pretty much aware of where exactly you perform it. We found out: Some locations are just wrong. It must be a room and a light setting which helps to create this intimate feeling. Think of a theater stage: the audience sits in a convenient way and is not distracted. Their focus is on the stage, the lights go down, your senses are sharpened. Under these conditions it can work. For sure, you don´t find this everywhere. In addition to this scenario, we play with a drummer - Bernhard Breuer, from Vienna - on some occasions. This gives the whole set an extroverted effect. For me it is always interesting to see that the same piece can work in two versions. There is no good or bad version, it seems it is about the actual situation - between the audience, the room and the musicians. And I am happy that we can choose between the trio and the duo version. 1.質問文についてですが、 私にとって「Transition」は”もろい”と言っても差し支えのないアルバムです。 which very much~の文のa sense of breath がどうもはっきりとわからないのです・・・。 2.With this kind of music it seems it is important that you are pretty much aware of where exactly you perform it. この文章についてですが、with this kind of musicまでが副詞句ですよね。 主文はそれ以降で、主語はit seems のit であってますか? 意味がはっきりとはつかめないのですが・・・。 3.There is no good or bad version, it seems it is about the actual situation - between the audience, the room and the musicians. この意味がはっきりとわかりません。 「いいとか悪いじゃなくてさ、・・・・・・」 以上3点よろしくお願いいたします。