英語の勉強をしていて、分詞構文とbe動詞の使い方について悩んでいます

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 英文を読んでいて、分詞構文について理解できない部分があります。特に、最初のwithがなぜその位置にあるのか疑問です。
  • また、be動詞の使い方についても疑問を抱いています。特に、be somewhereという形式について、なぜbeを使うのか不明です。
  • 初歩的で基本的な質問かもしれませんが、自分で納得がいかないため、詳しい方に教えていただきたいです。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英語の勉強をしていて。

英語の勉強をしていて。 英文を読んでいて、どう解釈すればいいのか、悩んでます。 with the economy bogged down in a recession and the unemployment rate higher than it's been in decades, many new graduates are finding their job searches are longer and more difficult than they'd expected. 最初のwith はなんですか?分詞構文ですか? なぜ、ここに分詞構文が?  and if and when they do find work,the jobs may come with a lower salary,be somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter. こちらの文章では、be somewhere という形式をとっているのはなぜなのか。 なぜ、be をつけているのでしょうか? 詳しい方、よろしくお願い致します。 初歩的で基本的なことだとは思うのですが、自分の中で納得がいかないので、質問させていただきました。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • mickeyzz
  • ベストアンサー率49% (234/471)
回答No.4

http://eow.alc.co.jp/with/UTF-8/ WITHは上記のサイトにあるように単なる前置詞の7.番目の意味です。 7.~が原因で、~のために、~のせいで、 前置詞ですから、次に名詞または名詞句が続きます。 似たような例が下記にあります。 ? With the economy declining, creditors are bound to become nervous and call in many loans. 景気の下降に伴い、債権者は必ず不安になり、多くの債権を回収するはずです。 ? with the economy holding steady 経済の安定のおかげで ? with the economy stuck in a rut =(with the economy bogged down) 経済が閉塞状況にあって こちらの文章では、be somewhere という形式をとっているのはなぜなのか。 なぜ、be をつけているのでしょうか?<<< the jobs may come with a lower salary, be somewhere far away from family and friends 上記の文の初めにthe jobs” may “come とありますから、 (may) be somewhereの形で (may)を繰り返すのを省略しているのだと思います。

その他の回答 (3)

回答No.3

日本で英語を学んでいる人は気の毒だと思うことがあります。確かにアメリカでも SVOの指摘をする授業はありますが、 ここまでややこしく悩んだことは私はないです。  意味としては、With the economy bogged down in a recession and the unemployment rate higher than it's been in decades, で、ここ数十年で最も最悪といわれる不景気の中で、 という一つの場合、ケースの提示を話の文頭に持ってきている  わけで、  With が文頭にくることは、あることです。   似たような例で、 In Japan, people use public transportations than own cars to reach their offices. 日本では、人々は、自分の車よりも公共の交通機関を使って仕事に行くケースが多い。   この最初のIn Japan, は、 別に主語、動詞、なんかで始まっていません。   なぜ、主語から文章が始まらないのか、というのはこれに限ったことではなく、たくさんあります。   見たときに覚えていくのが良いと思いますけれど。   the jobs may come with a lower salary,be somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter.    ですけれど、わかりやすくこうしました。   (見つけた)仕事は、低賃金、そして家族友達から遠くにあり、あるいは全く望んだのとは別の分野であることがある。    be somewhere far away from family and friends なのは、仕事です。    be の主語は仕事    なぜbe なのか。    the jobs are somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter. とでき、    このbeの主語が they だとすると、    彼らは、別の分野となります、というとんちんかんな日本語にもなってしまうのです(訳として)   おそらく、SVそればかり考えているので、この文章も、最初の始まりの主語は、 they do find work の they だから、その続きがカンマの後にあると思っているのかもしれませんが、   and if and when they do find work,   ここで、一つの文節ができています。 If や and で始まり、しかも when までご丁寧についているので、    When I watched the movie, my next seat was empty. 私が映画を見ているとき、隣は空席だった。   この文章と同じで、 I が最初の文章に来ていても、カンマの後の文章では、I 私 は主語ではありません。   隣の席  が主語です。   文章が長いから、でも長いからこそ、切って考えてみるのも大切です。   カンマは、なんらかの理由で文章が切れるところ、   そして、新しい文章で、説明などが加わる場合が多いので、そう思ってください。   もちろん、カンマの後に、最初の主語がそのまま続く場合もあるでしょうけれど、いつもそうではないと思うといいと思います。   日本語でも同じです。   私が映画を見ているとき、私はポップコーンを食べた。これは、ずっと私が主語ですけれど   私が映画を見ているとき、飲んだお茶は、まずかった。 これは、お茶も主語なのです。   これと同様、   when they do find work,the jobs may come with a lower salary,be somewhere far away from family    彼らが仕事を見つけたとき、仕事は低賃金、(その仕事は)どこか家族から離れたとおくであり   と、このように、カンマ毎に一つの文章になっているので、   理由は分子構文だからとか、そういうことよりも、このように覚えたほうがわかりやすいと思いますが。   そんな分子構文だなんて、日本人はそんなこと考えすぎている人が多いので、気の毒になります。   

回答No.2

>with the economy bogged down in a recession and the unemployment rate higher than it's been in decades 分詞構文だの、with+目的語+分詞の付帯状況(このように説明する人もいるかもしれません)だのと難しく考えないで下さい。 この文を読んでる時にネイティブさんはそんなこと考える訳がないです。 これだったらわかりますか? With you, I could spend the rest of this lazy afternoon. (あなたと一緒なら、このだるい残りの午後も過ごせる) この文は、I could spend the rest of this lazy afternoon with you. と言っても意味は同じです。 with youを強調したいからこの前置詞句を前に出しているだけです。 with the economy bogged down~も同じ構造です。別にmany new graduates are~の後にくっつけても同じですよ。 ただ、そのカタマリが前に出てるだけだな、と目星をつけておればいいんです。 何々構文じゃないかと身構えるから、その構文習ったっけ?とか、思い出さなきゃ訳せないとか余計な力が入るんですよ。 with  ~と一緒に ですね the economy bogged down in ~  bogged down in~ は少々難しい表現ですが、質問に上がってないところを見るともう調べておられるのでしょうね。 意味は、~にはまっている(抜け出せない状態である)ということです。 この文は比喩的に使われていて、不景気で、以前より失業率も高くてにっちもさっちもいかない経済(状況)位の意味です。(意味が取れれば綺麗な日本語にこだわる必要はありません) 分詞構文とか考えずに、bogged down in~が前のthe economyにかかってると見ても十分意味がとれます。 そういった経済状況と一緒にあったなら、 many new graduates (who) are finding their job searches are longer and more difficult than they'd expected. なんだよ、と言ってるわけです。 (そういった経済状況と一緒にあったなら、)多くの新卒者は予想よりも長く困難な職探しをする、位の意味でしょうか。 (ちょっとこの英文は文法的でないような気がしますが) >be somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter. これも前と同じです。ナントカ構文とか身構えない、ということは、構文至上主義に頼らないということです。 if and when they do find work, もし、仕事が見つかったとしても(そのときは) これは問題ないでしょう。 the jobs may come with a lower salary, (その見つかった)仕事というのは低賃金で、  ここも問題ないでしょう。 be somewhere far away from family and friends or in a different field than the one they'd planned to enter. 主語がなくて、動詞から始まってますね。省略されているときは、前にあるから省略されたんだと考えるのがコツです。省略されたのは the jobs だろうなというのは予測出来ると思います。(theyでは意味が通りません) で、原型ですから、多分その前に助動詞もあったんでしょうね。それが主語と一緒に省略された、と考えられませんか? 適当な(意味の合いそうな)助動詞も補ってみましょう。 (the jobs would) be somewhere far away from family and friend~ (その見つかった仕事)は、自分の家庭や友人から遠く離れた場所(であろう) 要は、苦労して仕事を見つけても、賃金が低いとか自分の生活環境とは程遠い遠隔地だとか、そういう条件の悪いとこ(ばっかり) みたいな趣旨ですね。 どうでしょうか、こうやって読めば、返り読みもしなくてもいいし、読むスピードも上がると思います。(前から素直に読めばいいだけですから) 自分もペーバーバックとか読むときは、いちいち何構文だろうとか考えません。

回答No.1

with は(...の状況)で ...であれば (...の事情・状態など)を伴って。 どちらかといえば付帯状況でしょうか? もし付帯であれば、本文にとってはそれほど強調する必要のない、同時進行での事柄を補足的に説明している感じですね。つまり副文みたいなものです。  if and when で ~するのか、そして~するとすれば、という構文です。・・・めちゃ難しいですね・・・be somewhere以下の主語は文脈上、they の気もするけど・・・主語はtheyだと思うんです。ってことはthe jobs以下は、挿入ってことになりますよね。 自信ありませんが、これが僕の結論です。 if and when they do find work and somewhere~,the jobs~.  文や副詞の挿入は筆者の書き方の癖みたいなものですから、これが難解にするんです。

関連するQ&A

• 高校英語についてです!

高校英語についてです! 教科書に They are getting married next spring. という文がでてきました。が文の構造がよく分かりません。 be+現在分詞+過去分詞って事ですよね?文法的構文的な解説などお願いします!

• 英語について

英語について These are so small that they are measured in thousandths of a millimetre and can only be seen with a microscope. 訳をお願いします。 前の文は、 All tissue consists of cells. です。 また、なんで、only see withじゃいけないんでしょうか?人ではないからでしょうか? あと、measureは自動詞ですか?

• 英語教えてください

My research revealed that lucky people scored much higher than unlucky people on a dimension of personality known as extroversion.Extroverts are far more sociable than introverts.They enjoy spending time visiting friends and going to parties,and tend to ( ) to jobs that involve working with other people. ( )に入れるもので(1)attract (2)be attracted (3)be attracting (4)be attractiveがあります。 答えは(2)ですがなぜかわかりません。 親切で英語わかって優しいかた、他の選択肢の何が悪いか、などを含めて教えてください!!

• 分からない英語の文

Even in a single earthquake there may be ten thousand or even even more than a hundred thousand life lost. 一回の地震でも1万人あるいは10万人の命さえ失われることがある。 という文書ですが、構造1っ箇所分かりません。there may be で始まる構文で、そこにもうSVがあるのにどうしてもう1度lostという同士が出てくるのでしょうか。これは分詞かな、とも思いましたが、一語なのに後ろから掛かっているのは可笑しいですよね。 分からないので教えてください。よろしくしくお願いします。

• 長文英語

訳をお願いします。 Wolves are famous and wild, dangerous and dark. They are found everywhere in folk tales. In children's stories the wolf blew down the little pigs'houses and swallowed Red Riding Hood's grandmother whole. There is legend that the wolf is the devil in disguise and ( ア )some men become murderous werewolves when the moon is full. Poor wolves. They have done little to deserve their reputation. In biological terms, they are little more than large dogs, such close relations that they can easily breed together. All our domestic dogs are descened from wolves. Sometime, more than 15,000 years ago, wolves were domesticated and, over centuries of breeding, turned into Man's Best Friends. If there were no wolves, we would have no guide dogs or sheepdogs or retrievers, and no pet dogs. Our own distant ancestors were hunters, and competed with wolves, which were much more numerous than today. But people then probably felt they had little to fear. Wolves are shy and unlikely to attack something as dangerous as a person. Like many predators, they choose the easiest target ― old, sick or wounded animals. The native peoples of North America called them brother and sister hunters, and respected them. The change in human attitudes came when people became farmers, keeping animals in fields. Wolves soon learned to make use of this. They attacked farm animals, and gained a reputation as fearsome thieves, who must be hunted to death. Wolves,(over /to /used /wander /which) most of Europe, have disappeared completely from much of the continent. They are more numerous in North America, and believed to be around 8,000 in Alaska alone. There, these fine animals can be seen in the wild, living as they should under the open sky, and in the vast northern forests. (ア)に適当な1語と 上の(over /to /used /wander /which)の並び替えもよろしくお願いします!  

• 下記の英文を訳してくれる方はいますか?

The average college graduate enters the work force later, at 22 to 25, and consequently works fewer total hours, but the lifetime earnings are greater than the average worker’s, totaling about $550,000 (Miernyk, 1975). College graduates are also likely to be more satisfied with their job, although in a recent survey 90 percent of all workers reported satisfaction with their job (but more whites than nonwhites were satisfied) (Troll, 1975). お願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

I am unemployed, am in my 40s and have seizures. I have had two disability counselors recommend that I enroll in Social Security Disability Insurance. My stubborn parents are obsessed with my finding a job and afraid that my enrolling in Social Security would give me the money needed to move out and be the end of active employment searches. be the end of active employment searchesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語の訳をお願いします・・。

経済英語なのですが、冷やかし無しでお願いします・・。簡単な感じでも大丈夫です・・。 At the same time, by carefully and explisitly comparing the separate chronoligical stories with one another and then with similar developments in other great industrial companies, these stories can become more than mere case studies in the meeting and solving of administrative problems resulting from growth. They can provide otherwise unobtainable information essential to the understanding of the history of one of the most significant of today's institutions. Such a comparative and institutional study of American business would seem to have some real advantages over the more traditional histories of individual firms or the more general surveys of the American business economy. Not only does it permit an analysis of significant decisions in far greater depth and detail than is possible even in a multivolume history of a single great company, but it also makes it possible to relate these detailed analyses more clearly and more precisely to broader historical developments. On the other hand, complex decisions, actions, and events are not taken out of context and presented as mere illustrations as they would have to be in a general history of American business or of the American economy. They are not used to illustrate generalizations; they are the date from which the generalizations are derived.

• 分詞構文

They are also a place where animals can live comfortably ,free from danger and extinction. の文なんですが、これは分詞構文と考える事は可能でしょうか?

• 英文!

英語の和訳をよろしくお願いします! No matter who you are or where you come from, one thing is certain: you are familiar with the mosquito. Mosquitoes are everywhere. They can be found all over the world, and there are more than 2,500 kinds. Somewhere, at some time, you have surely met at least one.