• ベストアンサー

英文について質問があります。

英文について質問があります。 下記の英文の、「which」がわかりません。 ナゼwhichがつくのでしょうか? whichの役目を教えてください。。。お願いします。 彼らは、その子に桃太郎と名前をつけました。 ・They named the boy momotaro, 「which」 means "peach boy" 彼はみた、鶴が自分の羽をくちばしでむしりとっては、布を織っているのを。 ・he saw a crane weaving cloth with her own feathers 「which」 she plucked out with her bill

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

They named the boy momotaro, which means "peach boy". which は関係代名詞で先行詞は momotaro という名前です。 「桃太郎」という人間でなく,名前なので which になっています。 They named the boy momotaro, and it means "peach boy". 彼らはその男の子を「桃太郎」と名付けた。 そして,それ(momotaro という名前)は「桃の子」という意味だ。 のように接続詞と代名詞 it を用いる代わりに,接続詞なしで,it を関係代名詞 which にすることによって文をつなげることができます。 he saw a crane weaving cloth with her own feathers which she plucked out with her bill 関係代名詞 which で先行詞は (her own) feathers です。 she(鶴)がくちばしでむしりとった羽 と説明しています。 彼は,鶴が自分のくちばしでむしりとった羽を使って,布を織っているのを見た。 これが直訳ですが,ちょっと工夫した訳をしているだけです。

neetplease
質問者

お礼

了解! とても親切な回答有難う御座いました! 勉強させていただきました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文確認

私は後ろ髪を布で覆うか、覆わないかで迷っています。 あなたはどちらが自然な感じだと思いますか? あなたの決めた方をリクエストしたいです。 I am doubtful whether to cover the back hair with cloth or not.Which do you think is natural?I would like to request the one you decided. この英文を海外の方に伝えたいのですが、正しい英文でしょうか? 間違えがありましたら教えて頂けますと幸いです。

• ジブリの英文

『崖の上のポニョ』に関係する英文で分からない部分があったので質問します。 「The young fish, named Brunhild, is swimming with her sisters in Miyazaki's sea when she escapes this seeming paradise, floating up to the surface and getting her snout stuck in a jar.」 この文章はどういった意味でしょうか。 全文 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1916285,00.html

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

以下の英文の和訳をお願いします。 Displacement is one means by which the dream does this. In the first place, it is the effect of feeling which is displaced, so that what appears to be most important and full of emotion in the dream may be really of least significance, whereas an apparently trifling matter may be pregnant with meaning. The emphasis of the dream is thus displaced and so eludes the censor.

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

To-day, as I was reading in the garden , a waft of summer perfume--some hidden link of association in what I read--I know not what it may have been--took me back to school-boy holidays; I recovered with strange intensity that lightsome mood of long release from tasks, of going away to the seaside, which is one of childhood's blessings. この英文について質問があります。 I know not what it may have beenを訳すとどうなるのでしょうか? 私はわからない、what以下のことを、という感じになるかと思うのですが、 it may have beenがわかりません。(itは何を指していますか?) which is one of childhood's blessingsのwhichの先行詞は何になりますか? お手数をおかけしますがよろしくお願いします。 ----------------The Private Papers of Henry Ryecroft <Summer>: George Gissing

• 以下の英文について教えてください。

From time to time he saw Omyobu, but though he still implored her to arrange a meeting, none of his many arguments availed him. He also pestered her with so many questions about the child that she exclaimed at last: "Why do you go on plaguing me like this? You will be seeing him for yourself soon, when he is shown at Court." But though she spoke impatiently she knew quite well what he was suffering and felt for him deeply. The matter was not one which he could discuss except with Fujitsubo herself, and it was impossible to see her. Would he indeed ever again see her alone or communicate with her save through notes and messengers? And half-weeping with despair he recited the verse: "What guilty intercourse must ours have been in some life long ago, that now so cruel a barrier should be set between us?" 源氏物語の『The Festival of Red Leaves』(紅葉賀)からの抜粋です。 藤壺が源氏との不義の子供を出産した後の、源氏と、藤壺のお付きの女房(=王命婦)とのやりとりの場面です。 上記の英文の中でわからない個所があります。 (一番最後の英文です) "What guilty intercourse must ours have been in some life long ago, that now so cruel a barrier should be set between us?" 意味は現代訳を参照して大体掴んでいるのですが、that now so cruel a barrier ~のthatは何かを指しているものなのでしょうか? それとも文法的に置かれているものなのでしょうか? 解説していただける方、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 単語帳掲載の英文について質問

His new novel,which combines prose with his gift for poetry,is going to be published (まもなく出版になる彼の小説は、散文に彼の詩の才能を融合させたものだ) 質問:この英文で用いられているforはgoo英和辞書に掲載されている以下の用法でしょうか? 4 ((性向))…に対して(の) admiration for her beauty 彼女の美しさに対する憧れ have a taste [a dislike] for Japanese food 日本料理が好き[きらい]だ He has no talent for singing. 彼には歌の才能がない. 質問2:性向とはyahooの国語辞書で調べると以下のような定義です 『人の性質の傾向。「目立ちたがる―がある」』 この定義から、上記英文の『his gift for poetry』のforは『才能という人の性質の傾向を、"詩に対して"述べている』ということですよね? 質問3:性質の傾向って何ですか? 傾向とは辞書で調べると『物事の状態・性質などが全体としてある方向に向かうこと。かたより』とあります。 このことから、性質の傾向とは『才能のある・無しや好き・嫌いという人間の性質について全体的に鑑みてどちらであるか』ということですか? 例えば『日本料理が好き[嫌い]』を例に挙げれば、好きな日本料理もあるけれど全体的に鑑みると嫌いなほうが勝っているから『日本料理が嫌い』である場合、『日本料理が嫌いな性向にある』と言えますか?

• 英文について

長文で申し訳ないんですが、下の文をざっくりでいいので翻訳・解説してくれませんか? 自分で翻訳サイトなどに掛けてみても、意味がよく分からなくて、、、 I am a 59-year-old Japanese, born in 1941 (Showa 16). When I was a child, many of my teachers were very scary, probably because they had experienced the war. Unlike today, corporal punishment was allowed, so it was common to be slapped or punched. This was when I was in the sixth grade of elementary school (11-12 years old). One of my classmates was a girl whose family was poor, so she and her sister shared gym clothes for gym class. One day, however, her gym class coincided with her sister's class, and she didn't have any gym clothes because she had given them to my sister. I think it was an unavoidable reason, but the teacher did not allow the girl to not bring her gym clothes even though she had such a good reason. He ordered her to take off her plain everyday clothes , telling her that she was not allowed to take gym class in plain clothes. She took off her everyday clothes and attended the PE class in her underwear, that is, wearing only a pair of panties. Her classmates pointed and laughed at her shameful appearance in just her panties. Perhaps she was poorly nourished because of her poverty, her bare breasts weren't bulging at all. The girls made fun of her flat breasts, calling it "look like men". Also, a stupid boy took down her panties and tried to show everyone where her part which must be never seen(Fortunately, this ended in an attempt) She remembers feeling so embarrassed and humiliated that she almost started to cry. But she never gave in and gave her gym clothes to her sister on another day when the classes overlapped as well. It must have been an unbearable humiliation for a girl of her age to go to class almost naked and be seen by boys and girls of her age. She was a strong girl and was able to endure it, but an ordinary girl would not have been able to. I can only hope that there will never be another educator who gives this kind of education again.

• 英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を助けてください

英文の和訳で困っています 和訳を教えていただきたいです よろしくお願いします!! The provenance of the inscription that records this dedication is uncertain, but it has been plausibly linked with one of the buildings on the east side of the forum, the so-called Temple of Vespasian. If this is correct, Mamia owned (or brought) the plot in question, because she, like M.Tullius, records that the temple was built not just at her own expense but on her own land. An Augustan date for the building is supported by the imagery of the reliefs on the altar which stood in front of the temple. We may, therefore, suspect that the monumentalization of the forum’s east front, with the old shops and workshops giving way to large public complexes, began in Augustran times.

• 英文で意味するところが分かりません。

http://st.japantimes.co.jp/english_news/essay/2004/ey20040308/ey20040308main.htm?print=noframe 全体は上のリンク先にあるのですが、以下の部分のみがよく分かりません。 英文が描写するものが一体どのようなものなのかが判りません。以下の4点が理解する鍵になると思うのですが。よろしくお願いいたします。 1.oil drumsとは? 円柱形か角柱形か? 2.sewed lace onto the bottoms とは? 3.tall side tables とは? 4."Surprise! This space reserved for expensive antique table!" とは? My mother was a great recycler and used her talents to create treasures out of useless rubbish. We had a very luxurious living-room carpet that was a collection of showroom samples taped together and artistically laid out. She covered oil drums with expensive cloth and sewed lace onto the bottoms. Looking under the cloth, you would find a little note written on the barrel that said, "Surprise! This space reserved for expensive antique table!" My mother had a few valuable pieces of furniture in the living room so no one ever suspected oil drums as tall side tables and samples for a carpet.

• a plate on which rests ・・・

ある英文を読んでいたら 「A picture by Francesco Maffe,representing a handsome young woman with a sword in her left hand, and in her right a plate on which rests the head of a beheaded man,has been acknowleged as a portrait of Salome with the head of St,John the Baptist.」  ( Francesco Maffe Salome  St,John the Baptistは人名)  という文章がでてきたのですが  in her right a plate on which rests the head of a beheaded man  の部分で この構造は 倒置と考えて the head of a beheaded man rests on a plate と考えていいのでしょうか?  いろいろ英文をよんできたつもりですが  ここでの倒置はなんか変な気もするので  質問したしだいです  間違っているようでしたら  ご指摘とご説明ねがいます<(_ _*)>ぺコリ  ちなみに  文法での説明を望みます<(_ _*)>ぺコリ