• ベストアンサー

英語の訳し方

That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous. の訳し方が非常に難しいです。 確かに全体の意味の捉え方としては 「私がこれまであげたいくつかの例の中で'mean’という動詞がことなった意味で使われていることは”メアリーには問題がある。”という使い方があいまいであるということから明白である。」 という捉え方にしかなりませんが,これを英会話の中で聞いたとしてすぐに意味がわかるかというと絶対にわかりません。何かコツは無いでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数6

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

ニュージーランド在住の日本人です。これはわかりにくい英文だと思います。一回読んだだけではよくわからず、何度も読み返してしまいました。隣のニュージーランド人の同僚も、一読したときは「?」という感じでもう一度読み直していましたから、ネイティブにもわかりにくいのでしょう。 この文章を英会話の中で理解するコツというのは、なんとも言えないのですが、意味毎に区切って読んでもらえれば、なんとなくわかるかもしれません。     That the verb 'mean' is being employed  in different senses  in the examples that I have used so far  is evident  from the fact  that Mary means trouble is ambiguous. くらいのかたまり毎に読んでもらえれば、まだわかりやすいかもしれません。 同じ内容をもう少しわかりやすく言えないだろうか? と考えて、下のように英文を書き直してみました。  Evidently, the verb "mean" is being employed  in different senses in the examples I have  used so far. Another example of such ambiguity  (of the meaning of the verb "mean") is  "Mary means trouble". あまり直接の回答にならなくてごめんなさい。お役に立てれば幸いです。

nox_neo
質問者

お礼

早速のお返事有難うございます。 やはり口語と文章とでは違うのでしょうか。 意味毎に区切ると確かに意味が浮かび上がってきますね。 そこで,質問なんですが,こんな難しい英語を口頭でしゃべる 方はいるのでしょうか?いないのであれば安心してこの英文を闇に葬れます。

その他の回答 (2)

• rikax
  • ベストアンサー率42% (118/276)
回答No.3

US帰国子女です。 口語であれば、アメリカでもこういったややこしい(難しい)言い回しをする ことはあまりありませんので、暗闇に葬っても大丈夫かと思います(笑)。 ただし、大学などの講義で教授が文法などの説明をする時にはこういった 言い回しを使う可能性はあるでしょうね。感覚的にはそういった教授が 話をする時にも、かならず区切って話をすることと思います。 「That the verb mean is being employed in different senses, in the examples that I have used so far, is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous」と、最低間に2回は間を おいて話すと思いますので、一気にこの文章をぶつけられることは ないでしょう・・・・(たぶん)。

nox_neo
質問者

お礼

とりあえずのところは闇に葬っておくことにします。 お返事ありがとうございます。 大学の授業を英語で受けるのってどんな気分なんでしょうか? 私なら間違いなくこんな英語をぶつけられたらすかさず 再履修届をもらいにいきます。 この文章を口語で聞かれることがないのなら立派に 外国に巣立てます…(たぶん) どうもありがとうございました。

回答No.2

先にお答えした者です。お礼をいただけて嬉しく思います。ありがとうございました。 >そこで,質問なんですが, >こんな難しい英語を口頭でしゃべる方は >いるのでしょうか? う~ん、私の印象ですと、いないのではないでしょうか。いきなりthat節から話し始めるというのは、あまり聞いた覚えがありません。また employ という単語も、この文脈なら口頭では use を使えば十分わかるように感じますし。この文章を使って話すとしたら、きっとスピーチとかで台本をあらかじめ作っておくような場合ではないかと感じます。いかがでしょうか?

nox_neo
質問者

お礼

度重なるご助言有難うございます。 たぶん外国人から見たこの日本語みたいなもんなのかなと思いました。 ぜんぜん外国を知らない日本人の私は「ああ,useとemployでは何かニュアンスが違うのかな」と思い強引に納得してしまうところですが,ニュージーランド在住の方からこのような答をいただけると大変納得できました。 本当に,有難うございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英語の例文は原文のままでいいのでしょうか?(翻訳)

以下の英文を翻訳するとき、(1)の"the red flag is a conventional sign of danger"や(2)の"Mary means trouble","Mary means well","Smoke means fire"等の例文として挙げている文は原文のままでいいのでしょうか? また、その例文の箇所に""(ダブルクオーテーション)等つけた方がいいのでしょうか?お時間があれば以下の英文を翻訳していただけないでしょうか?よろしくお願いいたします。 (1)Whereas smoke is a natural sign of fire, causally connected with what it signifies, the red flag is a conventional sign of danger: it is a culturally established symbol. These distinctions between the intentional and the nonintentional, on the one hand, and between what is natural and what is conventional, or symbolic, on the other, play a central part in the theoretical investigation of meaning. (2)That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous: it can be taken like Mary means well or like Smoke means fire. Indeed, with a little imagination it is possible to devise a context, or scenario, in which the verb 'mean' in Mary means trouble can be plausibly interpreted in the way that it would normally be interpreted in That red flag means danger. Most language-utterances, we shall see, depend for their interpretation upon the context in which they are used. And the vast majority of them have a wider range of meanings than first come to mind. Utterances containing the word 'meaning' (or the verb 'mean') are no different from other English utterances in this respect.

• 和訳のお願いです。

意味論についての論文だと思いますが、和訳お願いいたします。自分でも訳してみましたが、読み返して見て分かりづらいため、和訳が上手な方の文章を参考にしたいと思います。よろしくお願いいたします。 (1)Whereas smoke is a natural sign of fire, causally connected with what it signifies, the red flag is a conventional sign of danger: it is a culturally established symbol. These distinctions between the intentional and the nonintentional, on the one hand, and between what is natural and what is conventional, or symbolic, on the other, play a central part in the theoretical investigation of meaning. (2)That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous: it can be taken like Mary means well or like Smoke means fire. Indeed, with a little imagination it is possible to devise a context, or scenario, in which the verb 'mean' in Mary means trouble can be plausibly interpreted in the way that it would normally be interpreted in That red flag means danger. Most language-utterances, we shall see, depend for their interpretation upon the context in which they are used. And the vast majority of them have a wider range of meanings than first come to mind. Utterances containing the word 'meaning' (or the verb 'mean') are no different from other English utterances in this respect.

• 自然記号に関する論文の和訳について

自然記号(煙=火)と慣習的な記号(赤旗=危険)の例をあげて動詞"mean"の様々な使い方に関する論文なのですが、内容が難しく、上手に和訳できません。 大体の意味を取るだけでなく、他の人にも読んでもらうことを考慮して和訳していただきたくお願いいたします。 (1)Whereas smoke is a natural sign of fire, causally connected with what it signifies, the red flag is a conventional sign of danger: it is a culturally established symbol. These distinctions between the intentional and the nonintentional, on the one hand, and between what is natural and what is conventional, or symbolic, on the other, play a central part in the theoretical investigation of meaning. (2)That the verb 'mean' is being employed in different senses in the examples that I have used so far is evident from the fact that Mary means trouble is ambiguous: it can be taken like Mary means well or like Smoke means fire. Indeed, with a little imagination it is possible to devise a context, or scenario, in which the verb 'mean' in Mary means trouble can be plausibly interpreted in the way that it would normally be interpreted in That red flag means danger. Most language-utterances, we shall see, depend for their interpretation upon the context in which they are used. And the vast majority of them have a wider range of meanings than first come to mind. Utterances containing the word 'meaning' (or the verb 'mean') are no different from other English utterances in this respect.

• 英語の質問3つです!宜しくお願いします。

中学三年生です。分かるものだけでも結構なので教えてください。。お願いします!! 【問題(1)】 It is very pleasant to talk to Mary.(メアリーと話すことはうれしいことだ) のほぼ同じ意味になるように書き換えが Mary is very pleasant to talk to. (メアリーは話せてとてもうれしい) ( )内は自分で訳したのですが、意味が同じとは到底思えません。訳の間違えがあれば教えてください。そのほか、こういう理由で同じと解釈できる説明があればご教授ください。 【問題(2)】 誤文訂正なのですが、 「・・・は確実だ」との日本文においてIt is sure that節→It is certain that節 なのですが、sureでもいいと思うんですけどダメですか? ダメな理由を教えてください! 【問題(3)】 どうしてbe surprisingが驚かせるでbe surprisedが驚く何でしょうか? ちょっと日本語の感覚とずれてて頭がごちゃごちゃになってます。

• itが指しているものが分からない

某参考書の例題です To be informed is to know simply that something is a fact. To understand is to konw everything about the fact : why it is a fact, what its connections are with other facts, in what ways it is the same, in what ways it is different; in other words, what the fact means. この文の why it is a fact, what its connections are with other facts, in what ways it is the same, in what ways it is different のitは何を指すのでしょうか?

• 【至急】英語 教えて下さい

[1]日本文を表すように下線部を埋める。 (1)天気が良かったら、私達は海水浴に行けるのに。 If it _______ in the sea. (2)その自転車がもう少し安かったら、彼は買っていただろう。 If that bicycle _______. (3)彼のメールアドレスが分かればよいのだが。 I wish _______. (4)あのお金がなかったら、家まで歩かなければならなかっただろう。 Without that money, I _______. [2]日本文を英語に。 (1)100万円あったら、あなたならどうしますか。 (2)私はもっとお金があったら、アメリカの語学学校に英語を勉強しに行ったのですが。 (3)もしメアリー(Mary)が目を覚ましていたら、その音を聞いたであろうに。 よろしくお願い致します。

• a word means what people use it to mean.の日本語です

The role of dictionaries in our society as authorities on meaning leads many people to feel that the dictionary definition of a word more accurately represents the word's meaning than does an individual speaker's understanding of the word. Keep in mind, however, that the people who write dictionaries arrive at their definitions by studying the ways speakers of the language use different words. Some dictionaries are relatively prescriptive, others more descriptive, but all must fact the fact that a word means what people use it to mean. There simply is no higher authority than the general community of native speakers of the language. (質問)3文目のa word means what people use it to meanの訳はどうなるでしょうか?高校生でも分かるようにできれば直訳調でお願いできますか。(自分が推測するに、単語というのは辞書的な意味よりもその単語を使う人が何を意味して使うかということが大事?みたいな感じだと思うのですが。2つmeanがあるのですがどう訳し分けしたらいいのか分かりません)

• 英語の添削お願いできますか?

英語の添削お願いできますか? おかしな言い回しや、文法の間違いなどありましたらご指摘ください。 設定 Maryは病院に居るMikeに電話しました。 Mikeの友達が電話に出ました。 Mary: Hello? (ハロー) Mike's friend: Hello, this is Mike's room. (ハロー、マイクの病室です) Mary: Hi, this is Mary. Mike's friend. (こんにちは、マイクの友達のメアリーです) Mike's friend: Hi, I'm Ted, his coworker. (こんにちは。僕は彼の同僚のテッドだよ。) Mary: Is Mike there? (マイクは居ます?) Ted: I'm afraid he've just fallen asleep. May I take a massage? (たった今、寝ちゃったんだ。伝言預かろうか?) Mary: Oh, May I? Please tell me that I'll be there tomorrow at noon. (お願いできる? あしたお昼にそっちに行くって伝えてください。) Ted: All right. I'll do tell him that. (まかして。ちゃんと伝えるから) Mary: Thank you. By the way, How does Mike look like? (ありがとう。ところで彼の具合はどう?) Ted: Oh, he looks getting better. (ああ、大分良くなってきたみたいだよ。) Mary: Does he? I'm glad to hear that. Anyway, nice to have talked with you. thank you. (ほんと?よかった。話せてよかったわ) Ted: Me too. Bye. (こちらこそ。じゃあね。)

• 語句の並べかえをおねがいします。不要な語句1つあり

彼はかっとなって私はほおを平手打ちした He {furious/me/and/got/on/my/cheek/slapped/the}. 6か月はメアリーにとって、論文を書き終えるにはあまりに短い期間だった Six months was {finish/short/for Mary/a time/to/writing/such/too}her parer. 言語はお互いがコミュニケーションをとるための不可欠な手段である Language is {with/a mean/an/to/means/essential/communicate/each other/}.

• 次の文で質問があります

(1)this sort of art, we learn in childhood, is meant to excite laughter, that to provoke our tears. (2)Only recently, in fact, have men conquered, by means of the spoken word, any space larger than that over which the neutral voice will carry. (1)この文のmeanはどのような用法なのでしょうか? (2)Men have conquered any space でSVOとなってしまいLargeが入る余地がなさそうにみえるのですが Larger以下は形容詞節と考えていいのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします