• ベストアンサー

checks for tax credits and Social Security

Obama, a senator from Illinois, called on the government to make available a $250 tax credit to 150 million workers to offset the payroll tax paid on the first $8,100 of earnings. to offset the payroll tax paid on the first $8,100 of earningsは 所得(earnings)のうち最初の8100ドルに対してかかる(paid)給与税を相殺するために でしょうか。 Goolsbee said Obama's plan would have a more immediate impact because checks for tax credits and Social Security payments could be issued right away, while Clinton's plan to subsidize such things as higher heating bills would require an application process. checks for tax creditsのchecksとhigher heating billsのbillsは「手形」と思われますがhigher heating billsという表現は何を指しているでしょうか。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Crystal05
  • ベストアンサー率61% (79/128)
回答No.1

"to offset the payroll tax~" の部分は、そのご理解で合っていると思います。 checks は「手形」というより「小切手」ですが、アメリカでは日本で言う「小切手」よりももっと身近なもので、個人でも personal check という小切手を小額の買物などでも気軽に使います。ここでは「(税金還付の)小切手」という感じですが、日本の感覚からすると、還付金が銀行に振り込まれるくらいの簡単な手続きで済むもの、というニュアンスがありそうです。 heating bills の bills は「請求書」や「明細書」という意味ですが、月々の電話代を "phone bill"、水道代を "water bill" などと言うので、"bill" 部分は「~費」「~代」という理解で良いでしょう。heating bills は「光熱費」になります。 最近の原油額高騰によって "higher" となった(=上昇した)「光熱費」という意味になると思います。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

Clinton's plan to subsidize such things as higher heating bills would require an application process. 更に高騰した光熱費の請求書額のようなものを下げるようなクリントンの計画は申請を必要とする(のでオバマの計画より時間がかかる) というような感じですよね。 非常に参考になりました。 ありがとうございます。

その他の回答 (1)

• SteveM
  • ベストアンサー率29% (34/117)
回答No.2

今晩は。 to offset the payroll tax paid on the first $8,100 of earnings>> 所得(earnings)のうち最初の8100ドルに対してかかる所得税の一部を埋め合わせる 参考までにアメリカでは課税対象額が20000ドルまでは税率は10%~12%ですから 8100ドルに対する所得税は約800ドルです。したがって250ドルでは、全額相殺にならないと思います。 checks for tax creditsのchecksとhigher heating billsのbillsは「手形」と思われますがhigher heating billsという表現は何を指しているでしょうか。>> checks小切手です。手形とは呼ばれません。 heating bills は暖房用の燃料(電気、ガス、軽油など)に関する電力、ガス会社からの請求書のことです。 ご参考まで。英語の学習がんばってください。

iamgreen
質問者

お礼

Clinton's plan to subsidize such things as higher heating bills would require an application process. 更に高騰した光熱費の請求書額のようなものを下げるようなクリントンの計画は申請を必要とする(のでオバマの計画より時間がかかる) というような感じですよね。 非常に参考になりました。 感謝しております。

関連するQ&A

• 英文のニュース

Former Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has received a refund from tax authorities of about 130 million yen out of the 609.7 million yen he paid in gift tax on assets provided by his mother, as the statue of limitation in some cases has been reached, sources close to the matter said Thursday. as以下からの訳が分かりにくいのと、some casesとは何をさしているのでしょうか? Hatoyama had long failed to take the necessary tax procedures with regard to the assets. The tax authorities has judged that the gift tax he later paid on the funds he received in 2002 and 2003 was unnecessary due to the five-year statute of limitation, sparing him more than 100 million yen in tax he would otherwise have paid. sparingからも訳していただけないでしょうか?

• 英文についての質問

Social Security is mostly financed by a 12.4% payroll tax, split equally between employees and employers. This option would increase that rate by 1% to 13.4%, phased in over ten years. This increase would only apply to income under the current tax cap of $127,200. つまり「これは雇用主が従業員に支払う給与に対して12.4%の税金が給与から引かれている(支払っている)」ということでしょうか? しかし、給与額が127,200$を超えた場合い1%上げる、ということでしょうか? わかる方よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をお願いします。

和訳をお願いします。アメリカの401Kの解約についてです。 「If you decide to take the money out of your account as a cash payment payable to you directly, there are taxes to be withheld from the taxable portion. Distributions of pre-tax contributions, as well as any earnings on contributions, are subject to 20% mandatory federal income tax withholding. There may also be state and local income taxes to be withheld. You may have to pay an extra 10% early withdrawal penalty of the taxable portion of the payment if you are under the age of 59 1/2. Form 1099-R will be mailed to you by January 31st of the year following your distribution to report the income on your tax return. 」 どなたか、よろしくお願い致します。

• 訳を教えてください

ある文書を訳していたところ、 The term “applicable credits” refers to those receipt or negative expenditure types of transactions that operate to offset or reduce direct or F&A cost items. Typical examples are purchase discounts, rebates or allowances, recoveries or indemnities on losses, and adjustments for overpayments or erroneous charges. という文があり、applicable creditsという用語の説明をしているのですが、肝心なところがほとんど分かりません。 1文目にあるthoseは何をさしているのでしょうか?(この項目はこの文で始まっているため、この文以前のものをさしているとは考えられません)applicable creditsをさしているのでしょうか? ご教授ください。宜しくお願いします

• ソーシャルセキュリティタックス(FICA)について

こんにちは。アメリカにてJ1ビザで大学に勤めている者です。 現在、来年の給与および税金についての書類を準備をしており、FICAについて教えて頂きたく思います。当方は、日本の大学や会社には所属せず、完全にアメリカの大学に移籍しております。給与はアメリカの大学から受け取っています。 現在渡米2年目で来年から3カレンダーイヤーに入りResidentとなり、来年1月からFICAを支払う必要がある税金関係の書類を作成するソフトから分かりました。 渡米中の2年間も日本の国民年金は任意継続で支払っており、来年度以降も任意継続で支払うことにしています。日本への帰国は再来年の3月あたりを予定しています(4カレンダーイヤー中アメリカに3ヶ月ほど滞在することになります)。 日米の社会保障協定により両国での支払いを合算できるとのことですが、それはせずに、日本の国民年金に継続して加入していきたいと考えています。 社会保険庁のサイトを見ましたが、アメリカの社会保障制度の加入免除手続きをするには、適用証明書の交付、を受けないといけないとのことですが、私のようにアメリカの大学に勤め、給与もアメリカの大学から受け取っている者にもこの手続きをすることはできるのでしょうか。 また、J2ビザを持つ妻(無収入)が居るのですが、こちらについてはどのような手続きが必要なのでしょうか。 連絡が取れ次第、大学の事務、および社会保険庁に直接質問をする予定ですが、ご経験をされた方、ご存知の方がいらっしゃいましたらぜひご助言を頂きたく思います。 単語の使用など間違いなどありましたら申し訳ありません。 ご助言お待ち申し上げます。どうぞよろしくお願い致します。

• "The economic cost of removing depr

"The economic cost of removing depreciation on buildings will be borne primarily by the american business sector," KPMG's report said, predicting the result would be lower-quality buildings because of fewer incentives to reinvest in capital and possibly higher rents as landlords recovered lost tax deductions. の部分ですが、税制の部分で難しく良く分かりません。 要約でも結構ですのでお願い出来ないでしょうか?

• 和訳で困っています。

変な訳になってしまうため内容がつかめません。正確な和訳にしたいので手伝ってください。この英文は税について書かれています。 (1)Options do exist to reduce or eliminate this regressivity; three possible methods are exclusions and multiple rates, income tax credits, and earmarking of some revenue for increased social spending. (2)If consumption over either a one year period or a lifetime is the measure of ability to pay, abroad based VAT (a value added tax) with a single rate would be proportional; that is, the percentage of consumption paid in VAT would be same as consumption increases. (1)この逆進性を取り除いたり減らしたりする選択肢として、増大する社会支出のための除外、複数のレート、所得税控除、いくつかの収入といった方法があります。 (2) もし一年間の消費や生涯の消費が単率VATにおける支払い能力を計る手段になるなら、VATにおける消費の割合は消費の増大と同じになるだろう。

• よろしくお願いします

I am a divorced 53-year-old woman. My children are grown, and I have a good career in HR and payroll. It's not my dream job, though. I applied to and was accepted into a Master of Architecture program, but I just found out they will accept only 12 credits from my associate's degree, which means I will need five years of full-time college to achieve my dream, while working full-time, of course. I'll be 58 when I graduate and probably should be planning for retirement, not taking on $100,000 in student loans. 1 I have a good career in payrollとはどのような意味でしょうか?  2 they will accept only 12 credits from my associate's degreeの意味を教えてください。 3 taking on $100,000 in student loansの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• facts on the ground

President-elect Obama may have hoped he would have time to develop an approach to peacemaking in the Holy Land. But as usual, the schedule is dictated by facts on the ground. It is unclear how engaged Obama can be in the Middle East in the early months of his administration; his first priority will be fixing the American economy. What Obama can't delay once he takes office is forcefully recommitting the United States to a two-state solution and the basic framework for peace that already exists. イスラエルパレスチナ問題の記事です。 2行目の facts on the groundは 目の前にある問題(アメリカ国内の問題)でスケジュールはいっぱいになっている という意味にとってよいのでしょうか。 宜しくお願いします(´_`。)

• 英訳をお願いいたします。

どなたか、英語得意な方、和訳してください。 How dead is the Fox-time warner deal? So dead that Rupert Murdoch hopped on his company's quarterly earnings call on Wednesday to drive home the point that his giant media company, 21st Century fox , really is walking away. どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。