• ベストアンサー

second thingの意味

はじめまして。 以下のin front ofの説明文のなかでの「second thing」の訳し方が理解できません。 この場合の訳し方について、教えて頂けます様お願い申し上げます。 If something is in front of a second thing, then it is SEPARATE FROM the second thing and near the part that faces forward.

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

something に対して,それとは別のもの というのが a second thing の表している内容です。  「何かが,また別の何かの in front of にあるということは」という意味合いです。  something 自体,「何か」という不特定のものですので,さらに,不特定のもので,something とは別のものである,ということです。  a second thing = another thing と考えることができます。second という序数は通常,the second ~となりますが,ここでは,something に対して,「2番目」と決まっているのでなく,something 以外のものであれば,「2番目」であろうが,「3番目」であろうが関係ありません。「2番目以降の適当な一つ」「別の」「もう一つの」という意味を a second ~は表します。

ga-cyon
質問者

お礼

早速のご回答頂きありがとうございました。 >something 自体,「何か」という不特定のものですので,さらに,不特定>のもので,something とは別のものである,ということです。 さらに不特定なものを指しているという事なのですね。 理解できました。 > a second thing = another thing とても理解し易い例でした。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• bluespace
  • ベストアンサー率27% (15/54)
回答No.2

2つめのもの(物)だと思います。2の次以下のことがらも含意しています。 2つめの物の前に何かがあるとすれば、それは2つめの物から離れて(分離して、*thingを物とせずに、ものと捉えれば概念となり、独立して)おり、前方に面している部分に近い、というのが全体の意味かと思います。

ga-cyon
質問者

お礼

今回の質問文全体の訳が理解できました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Consider, for example, that the existence of a single human thought requires the highly complex interaction of hundreds of neurons. In order to separate mind from brain, it would be necessary to think of each neuron as something distinct from its function, which is a little like trying to separate the seawater that provides the substance of an ocean wave from the energy that gives the wave its shape and motion. The existence of the wave requires both elements: without energy, the wave would fall flat; without water, the wave energy would have no expression. In the same sense, it is not possible to separate individual neurons from their functions; if it were possible, then a thought could be feed from its neurological base, and the mind could be seen as something separate from the brain, a free-floating consciousness that could be considered a “soul “.

• 英文解釈について

以下の英文解釈について文法的解釈も含め教えて下さい。 It’s also something that is in all of our faces. よろしくお願いします。

• 同じ意味にするにはどうしたらいいですか?

同じ意味にするにはどうしたらいいですか 和訳も教えてください He is content though he is verry poor. =He is content in spite of his (     )(     ). It is clear that the view of the country is great different from that of Japan. =Cleary there is a great (   ) in views (    ) the country and Japan. よろしくお願いします

• 英文の意味が分かりません

「Then Mama got that gleam in her eys -the one that says she is planning something」 という例文に出くわしました。 「the one that says she is planning something」の意味がつかめません。 この「the one」とはどのような意味で、どのような使われ方をしているのでしょうか。 どなたか、教えては下さいませんか。 宜しくお願い致します。

• for one thing~について

It is, for one thing, to bathe in the sun that people gather in sach spacious outdoor places.「人々がそんな広々とした屋外の場所に集まるのは、一つには日光浴をするためである。」 イディオムのfor one thing~「ひとつには~」の品詞は何でしょうか?副詞だとすれば上の構文はどうなっているのでしょうか?be to 不定詞なのですか?

• 数学(物理?)の問題を訳してください

Suppose that a flashlight show in your face and then was moved away at a constant rate of 2 feet per second. It is fact that the rate at which the intensity, I, of the light decreases is inversely proportional to cube of the distance, R, from the source of the light times the rate at which the distance increases. When the light is 10 feet from your face, the intensity is changing by 5 lumens per second. When the light is 10 feet from your face, the intensity is changing by 5 lumens per second. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の意味は?

There must be something that pulled it to the ground. The same thing can be said of a plane that goes up. 2つの英文は繋がっているように思いますが、 「何かがあるに違いない」の何かとは何でしょうか?

• 以下の英文の意味を教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

以下の英文の意味を教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 If it happens it happens.Life is what it is.Autism isn't the worst thing in the world. She complained:My kids were invisible before the incident.Why did it take something like that for them to see what my kids needed?

• such thing / such a thing

NHK実践ビジネス英語2019年6月Lesson 6(2)のPat McMillanさんの台詞で, there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. という決まり文句clichéがでてきます。 この講座では、何度も出てくる定型表現ですが、 “no such thing”と表現されています。 Pat McMillan: You were lucky to have such a wise teacher, Steve. I'm very much of the same mind. Not being afraid to ask questions is a crucial part of the learning process. It may be a cliché, but there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. @ 2019年6月 L6(2) 一方、 “such a thing”と表現されるケースもあります。 Goto Yoko: Hey, Jack and Tony. Help me out here. Is there such a thing as umbrella etiquette here in America? @ 2010年11月L15(1) Umemura: I know there's such a thing as impulse buying. But I always try to keep a cool head and think logically about the pros and cons of a given product. @ 2013年2月L22(5) こうしてみると、否定形では、 “no such thing”で、そうでない場合は、 “such a thing”でしょうか? 最も、次のような変化球もあります。 McMillan: Very true. There's no longer such a thing as “off the record” in today's hyper-connected, hyper-transparent world. @ 2015年3月L24(3) このnoは、 “no longer”で、内容は否定的でも、構文としては、肯定文というとらえ方でいいのでしょうか? ついでながら、 “such things”という言い方も当然検索されます。 Lyonsさんの場合は、主節の “Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior”を受けており、Uedaさんの場合は、 “these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings”を受けているためだと思いますが… Lyons: The coolest thing about that generation is how its members try to focus on value. Their perspective on work and their consumer behavior is based on how such things will add value to their lives and to society as a whole. And that’s a question that never goes out of date. @ 2014年6月L6(5) Ueda: That’s not something I have to worry about. I have a very modest lifestyle. But all this begs the question: what should I say if people ask me these kinds of personal questions at work or in social settings? I don’t want to seem rude, but I'm not usually comfortable talking about such things. @ 2017年11月L16(3) 今気が付いたのですが、副詞 “really”の位置は、一般動詞の前、助動詞およびbe動詞の後が一般的かと思っていました。しかし、Pat McMillanさんの台詞では、 there really is no such thing as a stupid question ― only stupid answers. と “there really is”となっています。 調べてみると、次の例 “there certainly is”も見つかりました。 Lyons: Sure. But that could be because the Internet is a new medium, and people haven’t yet developed the critical skills needed to sort the wheat from the chaff on the Web. And there certainly is an awful lot of chaff out there in cyberspace. @ 2015年1月L20(4) “there is”構文では、be動詞の前に副詞が入るんですね。

• これはどういう意味なのでしょうか?

日本語に訳してもあまりはっきりと意味がわからないのですが どういうことを言ってるのでしょうか?分かる方いましたらお願いします。 'The thing that gives people courage is ideas'. The phrase might be expanded. For it is not only courage that comes from ideas; it is determination; it is the power to act, the power to go on acting coherently. For though it is true that most ideas are the rationalizations of feelings, that does not mean that feelings are more important in the world of action than ideas. Feeling provides the original supply of energy, but this supply of energy soon fails if the feelings are not rationalized. For the rationalization justifies the feelings and serves at the same time both as a substitute for feelings and as a stimulant for them when they are dormant. You cannnot go on feeling violently all the time---the human organism does not allow of it. But an idea persists; once you have persuaded yourself of its truth, an idea justifies the continuance in cold blood of actions which emotion could only have dictated in the heat of the moment.