• 締切済み

文の意味がわかりません。

英文和訳の設問なのですが、 Apart from allowing me to communicate, learning Hindi has given me linguistic confirmation that I know just by living here. 上の文が言っている意味がよくわかりません。とりわけ、主節の部分がわかりません。どなたか、よろしくお願いいたします。ちなみに、この英文には続きがあり、以下にのせておきます。 Time, for example, is a fluid concept in India. Nowhere is this made clearer than in the inevitable perplexity of a Westerner trying to fix an appointment with an India: the word for yesterday and tomorrow is the same. The smallest unit of time in Hindi is "hour."

noname#150377
noname#150377
  • 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

• tdpixy
  • ベストアンサー率20% (38/186)
回答No.5

no.2ですが、一応念のために言っておくとthatは同格ではありません。 that以下の文:I know just by living here. のknowは他動詞なのに目的語が無い不完全な文ですよね?thatが関係代名詞で、目的語の部分が前に出てきてるためです。同格だと目的語がある完全な文で無いといけません。

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.4

No.1です。補足ありがとうございます。 No.3様が仰るように、質問者様が訳されたとおりの解釈でよろしいのではないでしょうか。 あとは、No.3様の優れた意訳などを参考に、さまざまな翻訳文を考えられてはいかがでしょうか。

回答No.3

ちょっと意訳になりますが、「インドで生活することにより感じる事柄について、言葉の上で裏づけを得ることができる」ということではないでしょうか。 続きの文で考えてみますね。まず「西洋人がインド人と時間の約束をするのは難しい」という生活上の事柄があります。なぜそうなるのだろう?インド語によると「昨日という言葉と明日と言う言葉が同じ」「一番小さな時間の単位は「(1)時間」である。すなわち、「インド人にとって、時間の単位が西洋人と違いあいまいで大きい」ということが、言葉(インド語)によって裏付けられるということだと思います。

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

なるほど、後ろの文との整合性を見ると、理解しやすいですね。ありがとうございました。

• tdpixy
  • ベストアンサー率20% (38/186)
回答No.2

合ってると思いますよ。 Apart from~「~から離れて:~はさておき」 allowing me to communicate「私がコミュニケーションを取る事を許す。:コミュニケーションを取ることが出来る。」 given me linguistic confirmation「言語の確証を得る。」 that I know~「thatはconfirmationを先行詞とする関係代名詞。」

noname#150377
質問者

お礼

どうもありがとうございました。that が同格の用法かと思ったのですが、関係代名詞でいいですよね。

noname#175206
noname#175206
回答No.1

推測でもいいので、質問者様なりの試しの解釈をお願いします。

noname#150377
質問者

補足

「意思伝達能力が身についたこと以外に、ヒンディー語を学ぶことによって、ここ(おそらく、インド)で暮らすことでしか知りえないような、言葉の上での確信を持つことができた。」一応、日本語として完結させることができましたが、はたして後半部分が、これでよいのか、ちょっと解釈に疑念があります。

関連するQ&A

• この文の意味を教えて下さい。

この文の意味がわかりません。 Education is not an end, but a means to an end. 一体これはどういう意味なんでしょうか。 わかる方いましたら、是非ご教授ください。 ちなみにこの後には、 In other words, we do not educate children only for the purpose of educating them; our purpose is to fit them for life. と続きます。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• yetの意味と文の繋がりについて

はじめして、今文章を翻訳しているんですが、 the question of its characteristics does not arise, yet, hard though it is to visualize, these continue to exercise their effect. という文なのですが、, yet, hard thoughの辺りの繋がりがよく分かりません。 「特徴の問題は起こらない。視覚化は難しいが、これらは効果を及ぼし続ける」これだと、yet~の部分の繋がり無視しちゃってますし。 それにariseがこの文の動詞ですよね。。  アドバイスお願い致します。 ちなみに、上記の文の前に下の文が付きます。 Just as with the smallest dot, so in the case of the smallest sphere, for example, a speck of dust,

• 英文の意味が分かりません。

言語に関する文章の一部なんですが、次の二つの【 】部分の意味が分かりません。 (1)【In virtue of knowing the word】, we are able to apply it correctly to anything that can be categorized as a tree (【in contrast ,say,to a bush, a shrub, or an electricity pylon.】) (2)Language itself is an object of categorization.Like everything else in our environment, every linguistic utterance is a unique event.【That language is able to be used as a means of communication at all rests on our ability to recognize, in the flux of language events, instances of linguistic categories -- such things as phonemes, words, word classes, clause types, and so on.】 分かる方がいたら、訳だけでなくコロケーション的なものの意味も添えて教えていただけると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文法について教えてください。

英文法について教えてください。 (1)Shikoku is the smallest of the four main islands of Japan. (2)Shikoku is the smallest one of four main islands in Japan. ●smallestの後に名詞か代名詞は必要でしょうか。 ●four main islands の前に『the』は必要でしょうか。 ●『in Japan』『of Japan』どちらが正解でしょうか。 宜しくお願いします。  

• 英文の意味

下記の英文のIt requires a very lively passion...のitが何を指しているのかお教えください。 I did not see Strickland for several weeks. I was disgusted with him, and if I had had an opportunity should have been glad to tell him so, but I saw no object in seeking him out for the purpose. I am a little shy of any assumption of moral indignation ; there is always in it an element of self-satisfaction which makes it awkward to anyone who has a sense of humour. It requires a very lively passion to steel me to my own ridicule. There was a sardonic sincerity in Strickland which made me sensitive to anything that might suggest a pose. itが指し示しているのは前文の(1)moral indignation(2)an element of self-satisfaction(3)to steel me to my own ridiculeのいづれでしょうか。また、このtoは(1)名詞的用法(2)形容詞的用法(3)副詞的用法のいづれでしょうか。それとも各々(1)~(3)いづれにも当てはまらないでしょうか。 お手数かけますが、ご教授いただければ幸いです。なにとぞ宜しくお願いいたします。

• これはどういう意味なのでしょうか?

日本語に訳してもあまりはっきりと意味がわからないのですが どういうことを言ってるのでしょうか?分かる方いましたらお願いします。 'The thing that gives people courage is ideas'. The phrase might be expanded. For it is not only courage that comes from ideas; it is determination; it is the power to act, the power to go on acting coherently. For though it is true that most ideas are the rationalizations of feelings, that does not mean that feelings are more important in the world of action than ideas. Feeling provides the original supply of energy, but this supply of energy soon fails if the feelings are not rationalized. For the rationalization justifies the feelings and serves at the same time both as a substitute for feelings and as a stimulant for them when they are dormant. You cannnot go on feeling violently all the time---the human organism does not allow of it. But an idea persists; once you have persuaded yourself of its truth, an idea justifies the continuance in cold blood of actions which emotion could only have dictated in the heat of the moment.

• この一文におけるforの意味を教えて下さい

For it is a mistake to suppose that, because modern architects are particularly concerned to relate buildings more closely to the needs they have to serve, they are only interested in the practical side of architecture. 始めのForが無くても大丈夫な気がするのですが、何故あるのでしょうか。解説には「For S V ときているのでForは理由を示す接続詞」とあるのですが、その場合 [For it is a mistake to suppose that S V] V  のようになると思いました。つまり、終わりが architecture V となるようにしか思えないのです もしもForがなければどこがおかしくなってしまうのか教えて下さい

• 至急日本語訳にお願いしたいのですが・・・

至急日本語訳お願いしたいのですが・・・長文ですみません。翻訳ツールは使わずにお願いします。 長文ですみません。よろしくお願いします。 This rather simple example illustrates the way in which information on the language use of different age groups may reveal the direction of linguistic change in a community.A great deal of linguistic variation is stable but some is an indication of linguistic change in progress.The patterns of deletion of the regular past tense affix(-ed) are stable in English-speaking communities.In Norwich,as elsewhere,the forms[in]vs[iŋ],and[h]-dropping,discussed in chapter 6,are also examples of stable variants.The patterns noted for different groups in the community have not changed over the last 50 or 60 years.The substitution of a glottal stop for [t] in certain positions,on the other hand,is increasing in Norwich.The use of [d] for the initial sound in then and than is an example of stable variation in New York.There is no evidence that the vernacular pronunciation with [d] is increasing.The challenge is to identify the clues which make it possible to predict which current variation will result in change and which won't.

• 同じ意味の文

こんにちは。 2文をほぼ同じ意味になるように( )に適語を入れる問いで、調べながら解いていたのですが、次の6つの問いが解くことができませんでした・・。どのような文法、連語で解けばいいのか分からないのですが、ヒントでもかまいませんので分かる方いらっしゃいましたら御願い致します。 1.We can go to Paris in a day by plane. = Flying ( ) us to go to Paris in a day. 2.He is a person who works hard. = He is a hard ( ). 3.I don't know her at all. = She is a complete ( ) to ( ). 4.As he was poor, he couldn't go to the university. = His ( ) prevented him ( from? ) going to the university. 5.There is no hope that he will recover. = There is no hope of his ( ). 6.She used to get uo early when she was young. = She was an early ( ) in her ( ).

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

英文の和訳をお願いします。 1.By this time next year ,we will have been doing business with each other for 20 years. 2.Unless the civilization we now know is to end,satisfactory substitutes for conventional energy sources will have been discovered and put to use in time. 3.she said to me, "it's very kind of you to invite me to the party." =she told me that it was very kind of me to invite her to the party.