• ベストアンサー

どうしても分かりません・・・

noname#2543の回答

noname#2543
noname#2543
回答No.6

大体の意味は皆さんの回答でよいと思うのですが、 冠詞の位置と名詞の単複を考えると、 the warmth and shelter (親切と保護) と、抽象名詞でとった方がいいように思えますが如何でしょう。 そして、この個所の構文は、 the warmth and shelter (which) the sisters offered (シスターが与えた親切と保護) と考えるべきでしょう。

tomotomodx
質問者

お礼

大変お礼が遅れたことをお詫びします。 そうですね、名詞の部分は私もそう思いました。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• マザー・テレサの英語紹介文について

学校で出された課題にマザー・テレサの紹介文があり、 内容は Moter Teresa was a Catholic nun of Albanian Ethnicity and Indian citizenship, Who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta, India in 1950. For over 45 years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, While guiding the Missionaries of Charitys expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries. というものです。 2つの文から構成されていますが、 それを複数の文に分けることが課題です 関係代名詞などを使うらしいのですがどう分ければいいか分かりません 分かる方がいれば分かるところだけでもいいので教えてほしいです あと、「カルカッタで始まったテレサの貧しい人々のための活動は、後進の修道女たちによって全世界に広められている。」という文を英訳するとどうなるか教えてください お願いします!!

• 高校英語 関係代名詞の制限用法がわからない!

制限用法について、適当な関係代名詞を( )内に入れる問題の解答です。  1、Picasso is a painter (who) was born is Spain. (ピカソはスペイン生まれの画家です。)  2、Iknow a boy(whose)mother is an actress.  (私は母親が女優をしている男の子を知っている。) 3、This is the rady(whom)I spoke of yesterday.  (この人が昨日私がお話した女性です。) 4、This is the town (which) I lived in when I was young.  (ここが私が若い頃すんでいた町です。) はっきり言ってどれを入れるのかどうしてそれを入れるのか、どう見分けたらいいのか全然わかりません。 特に1番目と2番目の問題のwhoとwhoseの使いわけがわからない。今までどおり考えると、whoとwhoseは誰、と誰のもの、としか考えられなくて謎です。 そして2番目と3番目の問題のwhoseとwhomの使い分けも区別もそれ自体が ここではどういう意味を成すのかもわかりません。 さらに4番目の問題。なんでwhich、なんでしょう? さっぱりです。 お願いします。どなたか教えてください。とっても困っています。

• 英語の比較の問題で困っています。

比較の問題で困っています。だれか教えてください。お願いします。 Q(  )に入れるのに最も適当なものを、それぞれ(1)~(4)のうちから1つ選びなさい。また、訳もしなさい。 1.Professor Yamamoto is (  ) my mother. (1)twice old as (2)twice older than (3)twice as old as (4)as twice old as 2.My house is (  ) wonderful than yours. (1)no more (2)neither more (3)no much (4)neither much 3.No (  ) student can do better than John in mathematics. (1)other (2)another (3)more (4)any 4.The closer the relationship, the (  ) the chance for the expression of true feelings. (1)great (2)more great (3)greatest (4)greater 5.Mary is beautiful, but her sister is (  ) more beautiful. (1)most (2)much (3)so (4)very 6.Tokyo is the third (  ) city in the world. (1)largest (2)larger (3)large (4)more large 7.This is what annoys me (  ). (1)furthest (2)best (3)deepest (4)most 8.This computer is (  ) to mine. (1)better (2)important (3)efficient (4)superior

• わからない個所を教えてください。

The thought of another boy who is a foreigner intrigues me. In my head, I start to think what kind of boy he will be: whether he’ll be like me, slow and bad at reading; whether his father will work in the English bank in the city like mine; whether he will get in trouble sometimes like I do.(前回の終わりの部分です) There have been vans and cars coming and going all day at the other end of the road, and I have seen men carrying boxes and furniture in through the gates of the house there. But I am told not to get in the way, and by early evening the vans are gone again. I can’t get rid of my curiosity. At the bottom of our garden is a tree whose branches are low enough for me to scramble up into, and it is easy from there to climb onto the garden wall and drop down behind it. Back here, the level of the ground is higher than it is in our garden, and it makes the wall seem lower. It’s a strange thing and I don’t understand why it should be so, but it is. I know this little patch of waste ground well. Sometimes I spend hours out here sitting or lying among the rocks, watching lizards skittering around in the sunlight. When they first come out, in the early morning, they are slow and sleepy, but by midday they have heated up and are like brown bullets ricocheting off the stones. Once I see one with two tails, lighter than the rest of its body; it lives somewhere near where the wall adjoins Signora Cassi’s house, and I wonder if it has been caught in the kitchen by Lucia. Sometimes, too, I sit here, out of sight of anyone, and do the thing my mother calls staring into space and my father calls lying. ****************************************** 主人公のAlexはartistで、展示会に備えるために、幼い頃過ごしたイタリアに戻ってきています。(この英文は子供時代の回想シーンだと思われます) Back here, the level of the ground is higher than it is in our garden, and it makes the wall seem lower.の冒頭のBack hereはどういう意味なのでしょうか?ここへ戻り? 自分の家の庭に戻り、という意味ですか? Sometimes, too, I sit here, out of sight of anyone, and do the thing my mother calls staring into space and my father calls lying.について、and do the thing my mother calls ~のところの構造がわからないのですが、do the thingの主語はI(主人公)になるのでしょうか??my father calls lying.は、父は寝ころんで呼ぶ、ですか?lyingは横になるの現在分詞でしょうか? また、原文ではstaring into spaceとlyingの部分が斜体で書かれていて、強調している感じを出しているのですが、なぜここの部分を強調しているのでしょうか?(その理由がうまく読み取れません) 教えてください。お願いします。

• よろしくお願いします

My daughter is graduating from high school and will be starting college. It was always her plan to go to a school away from our small town, and I supported that decision. However, six months ago she started dating her first real boyfriend. His parents have offered to pay all expenses if the two of them live in an apartment and go to school at a college nearby. Financially, this would be very helpful for my daughter, but I'm worried that moving in with a boy at such a young age would be a mistake, and she wouldn't get the full college experience. Her boyfriend is wonderful, and she is very happy in the relationship. She has a scholarship for free room and board at a college three hours away. ここでのboardはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 日本語訳を!!9

お願いします (1) Tiberius and Gaius Gracchus were two Roman brothers who fought and died for the same cause. They even died the same way, murdered in violent stredt brawls. But the two Gracchi were very different in age and personality. Plutarch, the Greek writer who brought so many Romans to life through his biographies, describes them:“Tiberius, in his looks...and gestures...was gentle and composed. But Gaius was fiery and passionate.” When Tiberius gave a speech, he spoke quietly and never moved from one spot. But Gaius was like an actor. When he spoke to the people, he“would walk about, pacing on the platform. And in the heat of his orations, he would throw his cloak from his shoulders.” (2) The Gracchi brothers were noblemen whose family was well known in Rome. Their father had served two terms as a consul, the highest office in Rome. Their mother, Cornelia, was the daughter of the general Scipio Africanus, who had defeated Rome's great enemy, the Carthaginian general Hannibal. (A King of Egypt once proposed marriage to Cornelia, but she turned him down.) As children of such distinguished parents, the Gracchi brothers had not only social rank but also plenty of money. Still, they devoted themselves to improving the lives of the poor. (3) Tiberius and Gaius entered politics in difficult times. The Roman Republic was in trouble. Like a teenager who grows tall “overnight,” Rome had grown dramatically during the Punic Wars, from 264 to 146 BCE. And although 118 years is a long time for a person, it's a very short time for a city or empire. Rome entered the war years as a small city-state. It ended them as the ruler of the Mediterranean, controlling all of Italy, with conquered lands stretching from Africa and Spain to Greece. The once-poor farming community had mushroomed into a giant whose military conquests poured masses of gold, grain, and slaves into Italy.

• この英文を訳してください!

Am I to be blamed? This is a moving piece about a young girl arrested for stealing. She pleads her case to the police officers and tell her life story. They're chasing me, they're chasing me, no they must not catch me, I have enough money now, yes enough for my starving mother and brothers. Please let me go, let me home before you imprison me. Very well, officers? Take me to your headquarters. Good morning captain! no captain, you are mistaken, I was once a good girl, just like the rest of you here. Just like any of your daughters. But time was, when I was reared in slums. But we lived honestly, we lived honestly in life. My father mother, brothers, sisters, and I. But then, poverty entered the portals of our home. My father became jobless, my mother got ill. The small savings that my mother had kept for our expenses were spent. All for our daily need and her needed medicine. One night, my father went out, telling us that he would come back in a few minutes with plenty of food and money, but that was the last time I saw him. He went with another woman. If only I could lay my hands on his neck I would wring it without pain until he breathes no more. If you were in my place, you'll do it, wouldn't you Captain? What? You won't still believe in me? Come and I'll show you a dilapidated shanty by a railroad. Mother, mother I'm home. Mother? Mother?! There Captain, see my dead mother. Captain? There are tears in your eyes? Now pack this stolen money and return it to the owner. What good would this do to my mother now? She's already gone! Do you hear me? she's already gone. Am I to be blamed for the things I have done? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語の文章を日本語に訳して下さい。

Noted as being the prime breadwinner for trans-Atlantic shipping lines, third class aboard Lusitania was praised for the improvement in travel conditions it provided to emigrant passengers, and Lusitania proved to be a quite popular ship for immigrants. In the days before Lusitania and even still during the years in which Lusitania was in service, third-class accommodation consisted of large open spaces where hundreds of people would share open berths and hastily constructed public spaces, often consisting of no more than a small portion of open deck space and a few tables constructed within their sleeping quarters. In an attempt to break that mould, the Cunard Line began designing ships such as Lusitania with more comfortable third-class accommodation. As on all Cunard passenger liners, third-class accommodation aboard Lusitania was located at the forward end of the ship on the shelter, upper, main and lower decks, and in comparison to other ships of the period, it was comfortable and spacious. The 79-foot (24 m) dining room was at the bow of the ship on the saloon deck, finished in polished pine as were the other two third-class public rooms, being the smoke room and ladies room on the shelter deck. When Lusitania was fully booked in third class, the smoking and ladies room could easily be converted into overflow dining rooms for added convenience. Meals were eaten at long tables with swivel chairs and there were two sittings for meals. A piano was provided for passenger use. What greatly appealed to immigrants and lower class travelers was that instead of being confined to open berth dormitories, aboard Lusitania was a honeycomb of two, four, six and eight berth cabins allotted to third-class passengers on the main and lower decks. The Bromsgrove Guild had designed and constructed most of the trim on Lusitania. Waring and Gillow tendered for the contract to furnish the whole ship, but failing to obtain this still supplied a number of the furnishings. Lusitania's keel was laid at John Brown on Clydebank as yard no. 367 on 16 June 1904, Lord Inverclyde hammering home the first rivet. Cunard nicknamed her 'the Scottish ship' in contrast to Mauretania whose contract went to Swan Hunter in England and who started building three months later. Final details of the two ships were left to designers at the two yards so that the ships differed in details of hull design and finished structure. The ships may most readily be distinguished in photographs through the flat topped ventilators used on Lusitania, whereas those on Mauretania used a more conventional rounded top. Mauretania was designed a little longer, wider, heavier and with an extra power stage fitted to the turbines.

• 日本語訳を!!6

お願いします (1)“Hannibal, then about nine years old, was...pestering Hamilcar to take him along to Spain. His father, who was sacrificing to the gods before crossing over into Spain with his army, led the boy up to the altar and made him touch the offerings.” (2) What would these offerings have been? Hamilcar Barca, a powerful North African general, would probably have sacrificed a black dog whose body he had split in two with his sword, along with a white bull and a ewe whose throats he had slit. After killing the animals, he would have burned them on an altar so the gods could enjoy the smell of meat roasting in the flames. Military leaders made such sacrifices to persuade the gods to give them victory over their enemies. Livy tells us that as Hannibal touched the bodies of the slaughtered animals, Hamilcar made him“solemnly swear...that as soon as he was able, he would become the declared enemy of the Roman people.” (3) Hannibal kept the promise that he had made to his father. He became a great general. And in 217 BCE, he took war elephants from Carthage (in modern Tunisia), his hometown in North Africa, and marched to the gates of Rome. Rome had never faced a more dangerous enemy in all of its long history. (4) Who were these Carthaginians who hated the Romans so much? They were seafaring people who left their homeland in Phoenicia (modern-day Lebanon) around 800 BCE. They set up colonies in North Africa and Spain, and also on the island of Sicily―the ball that the Italian boot seems to be kicking. (5) The most powerful Phoenician colony was the North African city of Carthage. It became a busy trading post for merchants from all over the Mediterranean world. In time, Carthage gained independence from its mother country, conquered other Phoenician colonies, and founded colonies of its own. By the 3rd century BCE, this thriving and wealthy city controlled trade across the western Mediterranean.

• 日本語訳を!!c8-2

お願いします!!続き If they arrived in the evening or early morning,they could have seen the fires of the coppersmiths and potters along the southern edge of the city.The wind blows from the north in Harappa.Limiting furnaces to the southern side of the city meant that their sparks would be blown away from the crowded city streets.As Sarang got closer to the city,he would have realized that the wind carried more than sparks.The leather dressers also worked on the ddge of the city,and the stink of dead animals,which in some poor neighborhoods were left to rot on the street,must have bden awful. Once inside the city gates,the sights and sounds of the crowded market would most likely have overwhelmed a farm boy like Sarang.One part of the city specialized in wood carving and carpentry.Here his mother could have bought cedar chests to keep the family's clothing safe from moths and insects.Stonecutters,who made everything from drills to grinding stones to sharp stone blades,lived in another quarter.Sarang would have seen booths selling carved ivory ornaments,polished until they were smooth as butter,and inlay for wooden furniture. Jewelers clustered at the center of the market,their workbenches glittering with gold and silver pendants inlaid with precious stones.Strings of beads carved from hard stones of every color hung in the stalls of bead makers.Sarang's family may have bought beads here,but they probably could not have afforded a belt of carnelian beads.Archaeologists estimate that,given the hardness of the drill bits available to the people of Harappa,bead makers would need more than three days to drill a hole in bead three and one-half inches long.Some of the carnelian beads found on belts are almost twice as long.From start to finish,including all the stages of making a belt,it would have taken one worker more than 480 working days to complete a belt of 36 beads.No wonder archaelogists have found only three carnelian belts.