• 締切済み

入試問題の会話表現

とある学校の入試問題で、このような会話表現の文を見つけました。 問題:次のスチュワーデス(S)と、乗客(P)との会話文を読んで、設問に答えなさい。 S: What are you doing, dear? You know we can't stop the departure now. P: But you must. I have got to be in Los Angeles in two hours. [I can't not be there.] I have to get on that plane. この後の会話の内容は、乗客の娘が3時間後Los Angelesで手術を行う予定で、自分はなんとしてもそこへ行きたい。だからチケットはないのだけれども、この飛行機に乗せてほしい、と言う内容でした。 そして、問題なんですが、[I can't not be there.]という、[ ]で囲んだ部分なんですが、否定語が2つ続いているのがとても不思議に感じました。 文脈から、「Los Angelesに自分が行かない事はありえない」みたいな意味かなぁ、と思ったんですが、自信がありません。 会話ですから、高校時代とかに習った英文法にはあてはまらないのかもしれません。 この部分はどういう意味になるのでしょうか。 教えてください!

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数8

みんなの回答

• Wendy
  • ベストアンサー率21% (25/114)
回答No.2

時々ききますね、こういう言い方。 Zz_zZさんのおっしゃるとおりです。 直訳すれば「そこにいないわけにはいかない」,つまり絶対にL.A.にいかなきゃならない、と言う意味です。 「~しないわけにはいかない」「~せずにはいられない」というとても強いニュアンスがあります。

tomotomodx
質問者

お礼

私には馴染みの薄い表現だったため、戸惑いも大きかったんですが、こういう表現があるんだなーととても楽しくなりました。 おもしろい表現ですね。 回答ありがとうございました。

• Zz_zZ
  • ベストアンサー率44% (756/1695)
回答No.1

S: ねえ、お客様? 何をして(言って)るんですか? 私達が出発を、今 止められないのは分かっているでしょ。 P: でも、あなたは止めるべきです。(絶対止めて!) 私は、2時間以内にロサンジェルスに到着している必要が有る(到着しなければならなくなっている)のです。そこに到着して居ない訳には行かないのです。その飛行機に乗らなければなりません。 I can't  not be there.  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄  A     B A:~である事は出来ない。 B:そこにいない。 I'll be there. I'll be not there. (I won't be there. とは、(ニュアンス・意味が)異なる。) I can be there. I can't be there. などを考えると分かり安い。 (参考) dear: 時に皮肉を込めた呼びかけに用いる。

tomotomodx
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 最初は否定語が二つあるのに戸惑いましたが、なんとか理解することができました。 I'll be not there. と I won't be there. の違いですが、「単純未来」と「意志未来」の違いでしょうか? その二つの違いも教えていただけますか? よろしくお願いします。

関連するQ&A

• 会話問題が解けません

一応自分でもやってみたのですが、答えに自信がないので解説をお願いします。 問題文「次の会話文を読んで、空所を補うのに最も適当なものを選びなさい。」 A:Front Desk. May I help you? B:Yes. This is room 702. There is something wrong with the sink in my bathroom. (1: ) A:Something is wrong with your sink, sir? (2: ) B:Certainly. The faucet is dripping. I can't sleep because of the noise. A:I'm sorry, sir. We won't be able to send someone to fix it until tomorrow morning. B:Tomorrow morning? (3: ) I can't sleep and I have a very important business meeting in the morning. A:The maintenance staff won't be here until morning. Perhaps we could move you to another room. B:Well, if you can't fix it tonight I guess that wil have to do. A:(4: ) Someone will be up to take your bags to the new room shortly. 1. I'm sorry, but I can't help you. 2. I should fix it soon. 3. Could you please be more specific? 4. That's not my problem. 5. Can't it be fixed before then? 6. I apologize for the inconvenience, sir. 7. I don't know what you are talking about. 8. Is someone fixing it? 9. Do you have someone available to fix it? 10.How did you break it? 私の答え 1番 5 2番 2 3番 9 4番 6 回答お待ちしております。

• 入試問題で対話文です

適した文を選んで1語追加して並べ替える問題です。 Mary:Hi,Bob.What are you doing? Bob:I was just looking at a program about classical music in Osaka this season. Mary:Really?I love going to concerts. Bob:(1)____? Mary:I sure am.Could you give me some advice? Bob:I'd be glad to. Mary:I can't pay much. (2)______. Bob:Not if it's a Japanese orchestra. Mary:Does Osaka have an orchestra? Bob:Yes,the Osaka Symphony Orchestra is playing next weekend. Mary:Great,I'll try to go. Bob:(3)_______.But i have to work next weekend. Mary:Tht's too bad,but thanks to your advice. Bob:You're welcome.(4)_______. Mary:I sure will. A (go,I,I, you,with,could) B (too,planning,there,I'm, go) C (is,know,me,concert,the,let) D (will,concert,sometime,you,a,soon) E (classical,was,am,afre,as,as,I,in,were,that) F (tickets,was,Japan,expensive,I,in,were,that) 私の答え (1)Are you as interested in classical music as I am? (2)Tickets wee expensive I was in Japan????????? (3)I wish I could go with you. (4)Let me know when the concert is. 打ち間違いがあるかもしれませんが、 よろしくお願いします。

• 英作問題の添削をお願いいたします

下記の英作問題を8題解いてみましたが、あまり自信がありません。添削の程、よろしくお願いいたします。 1.今日は雨の心など少しもありません  →There is no worry about rain today. 2.希望を失うな、またいい時も来る  →Don't give up your hope, the time come to be good for you. 4.彼女の態度にはどことなく冷たいところがあった  →There is something cold in her attitude for me. 5.もはや疑いの余地はありえない  →There can not be a doubt any more. 6.くよくよすることなんかないじゃないか  →Don't be shocked, will you? 7.今世紀の初頭から大戦争がもうすでに二回起こっています  →There have been two big wars since early this century. 8.二人の間には何か誤解があったらしい  →There seem to have been some misunderstandings. 9.「どうもすみません」「何もすまながることはない。もうこれ以上言わないでくれたまえ」  →“I'm sorry” “You need not be. I want you not to say any more.” お手数かけますが、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 会話表現の問題です。

分かっていそうな問題もありましたが、念のため、全問載せました。丸つけをしてみたいと思います。 各問題で、ポイントや、解答のカギとなるものがありましたら、一言でも結構ですのでつけていただけると、見直しに助かります。そして【B】の問題だけ、訳がほしいです。 特に知りたい問題は、【A】の5、6のような問題です。この見極めかたを知りたいです。どれか迷ってしまいます。 【A】 1 “I´ve caught a bad cold.”“That´s()bad.”   アvery イtoo ウa little エhardly 2 ()come and see me this evening?   アWhy don´t we イWhy don´t you ウLet´s エHow about 3 “Passport,please.”“()it is.”   アThere イYes ウHere エCertainly 4 “I like traveling alone.”“(),too.”   アSo イMe ウYes エMine 5 “Didn´t you go there?”“()”   アYes,I did. イYes,I didn´t. ウNo,I did. エNo,I didn´t. 6 “I met him yesterday.”“Oh,()?”   アare you イdon´t you ウdid you エdidn´t you 7 Please()yourself at home.   アmake イlet ウget エease 8 ()yourself to the cake,please.   アEat イGet ウHelp エTake 9 “May I take your order?”“()…I´d like the special lunch.”   アLet´s take it イLet´s not ウLet me see エLet you decide 10 I´ll()you very much when you are gone.   アremember イmiss ウsee エhit 11 There´s no need to be upset.Take it().   アsimple イcomfortable ウeasy エrelaxing 12 Who´s(),please?   アyou イtelephone ウname エcalling 13 The line is().   アtalking イfull ウbusy エcrowded 【B】 1 A:I wonder if the typhoon is coming.Will it stop raining soon?   B:()   アI´m afraid not. イI don´t think that. ウNo,I´m not. エYes,I have. 2 A:Takeshi,you have a phone call.   B:()   アGoing! イComing! ウGive me your number,please. エThank you,I will. 3 A:Excuse me.Do you have the time?   B:()   アNo,I´m free. イIt´s 3:45. ウTime is money. エSorry,I don´t have much time. 4 A:I´m nervous.I have a job interview tomorrow.   B:()   アGood job! イGood work! ウGood word! エGood luck! 5 A:Would you mind my opening the window?   B:(),not at all.   アCertainly イYes ウDo エNo 6 A:How come you are here?   B:()   アI come here on time. イI come here by train. ウI worked because the bus was    crowded. エBecause I am supposed to be here. 【C】 1 誰かに何かを言われたが、よく分からないので聞き返すとき。   アSame to you. イI beg your pardon? ウHow are things? エBless you! 2 友人のパーティーを楽しんだ後、おいとまするとき。   アThank you,I´ve had a great time. イThis party was very funny,thank you.    ウI´m sorry that I didn´t stay longer. エExcuse me for missing the party. 以上です。

• 英語の会話問題を教えて下さい。

英語の会話問題を教えて下さい。 空所を補うのに最も適当なものを選ぶ問題です。 O : Hello, John! (1 ). J : Hi, Oliver. You must be bored stiff living out there on your uncle's farm during the summer vacation. O : (2 ). I really enjoyed it. J : Really, but with nothing to do (3 ), with the same green fields around you every day. O : There are many things on a farm (4 ); for example, I even get up at five in the morning to help (5 ) the cows. J : Five in the morning! That's what I call (6 ). And there is nothing I would hate more than the smell of a cow, especially at that time of the day! O : (7 ) fresh milk just after it has been drawn, you would change your mind. J : I prefer living in town, besides I suppose you have to eat a lot of greens which I can't stand myself. O : At least living in the countryside is healthy. I can ride my bike along the country roads. It's good fun! J : Well, we will see if you say the same thing next time. O : (8 ). And call me anytime you like and don't forget that you are always welcome. J : (9 ). Anyway school starts soon, so you don't have long to play the farmer boy. O : See you at school then. Bye, John. 1 (1)Oliver telling (2)Oliver speaking (3)Calling Oliver (4)Oliver talking 2 (1)Yes, you're right (2)You said it (3)No, not at all (4)No, not boring 3 (1)all time (2)any delay (3)through all the day (4)all day long 4 (1)to keep you busy (2)keeping you busied (3)to keep busy all time (4)for keeping busied 5 (1)with milking (2)milking of (3)for milking (4)milking from 6 (1)no luck (2)lucky (3)bad luck (4)luckless 7 (1)Once you could taste (2)Shouldn't you taste (3)If you could taste (4)If you had tasted 8 (1)Let's wait (2)Wait and see (3)Wait to try (4)You will wait 9 (1)Don't trust in me (2)Don't count on me (3)Don't attempt me (4)Don't rely in me 一応考えたところ、1が(2),2が(3),3が(4),4が(1),5が(1),6が(3),7が(3),8が(2),9が(1) って感じになりました。 少し長いですが、お願いします。

• 英語

you can't be back here! とはどういう意味ですか? can't be ははずがないという意味なのは知っていますが、 A you have to wait, ok? ・・・ A you can't be back here! B I'm in a rush!!! という状況で使われるcan't beです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 現在完了の問題です。

I went to Kyoto in1976,and I went there again in 1978. を現在完了の文にする問題ですが、I have been to Kyoto twice 《》1976. の《》が分かりません。1976年から2回という文にしたいのですが・・・ よろしくお願いします!

• 紙媒体でしかありません の表現

I have this in a paper version/form. So, I can't send it to you via email. でいいのでしょうか?

• 英会話、教えてください!翻訳もお願いします!

以下の文について!! 男「you really can come there with me? 」 女「lets see how we both feel 1 month. 」 男「yeah sure. i will not reach you next month. i will not call you too. because i have to check my mind is sure or not about you. you know what i mean? 」 女「to be honest, i really dont see this ever geting serious. i like you as a friend and it'd be fun to go to seoul. but i dont want to give you false hope.」 男「ok deal man.」 これって、男性はある程度女性に期待を持ってるけど 女性は実は真剣な関係ってことよりも 軽い遊びの関係になりたい。 て感じで合ってますか?

• ( )内から適切な語を選ぶ問題です。宿題

( )内から適切な語を選ぶ問題です。 (1)There (used to/would) be a movie theater around here. (2)My father (used to/would) have a record Player. (3)My sister (is used to/used to) getting up early. (4)He (is used to/used to) be a professional soccer player. (5)He (cannot/may/ought) have studied abroad. His English is perfect. (6)You (ought to/shouldn't/cannot) have bought the tickets. I already had some. (7)You (need not/ought not/might not) have come so early. (8)Aさん.I'm sorry you couldn't come to the concert last night. Bさん.I heard it was great. I (might/must/should) have gone with you. ご回答宜しくお願いいたします。